SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Have you played Pokemon XY's postgame?
Yeah, I just read about it. What Pikachu said about it seems as plausible as it could get. It would not surprise me that a private investigator and one of his clients, especially one with enough dirt to catch the culprits in question, would strike a deal like this. It's a little scrupulous that an esteemed Elite Four member is the one behind that kind of activity with no sort of reprimand, and having someone replace her in the E4 roster would've been kind of cool, but hey, it's Pokemon.

Two words:

Underground Path.

A few more, to clarify:

There is a notice!

...Uncouth Trainers have been holding
battles in the Underground Path.

Because of rising complaints by local
residents, the Underground Path has
been sealed indefinitely.

Signed, the Celadon Police

It's for the Underground Path connecting routes 7 and 8 (better known as the tunnel between Celadon City and Lavender Town(ish)) in Kanto, from GSC. What the actual FRIG was the point of having this notice there? There's a level gap in GSC, the second strongest trainer in the game has his strongest Pokémon at lvl. 58, whereas Red has his weakest at 73. The games direly lack grind-able trainers to level your Pokémon up to the par of Red's. This secret location would be the perfect spot to have such battles, as per promised on the flyer, but no. The location wasn't even coded into the game.

Pattern Bush is another location I'd like to whack the designers over the heads with. "They say the patterns hide a secret". Nope, they don't. The patterns appear completely random, there's no code or secret to it at all, it just apparently looks like a circuit board. With the (un-alterable) Altering Cave at the end of the same route, you would think Pattern Bush's supposed secret and Altering Cave were connected somehow, but no.

Speaking of the Sevii Islands, they were full of those. The "door blocked by crates" house in Seven Island (and its counterpart in Mossdeep City) were intriguing, there had to be something going on behind that door. Oh, wait, it does - in Japan only.

Also in Mossdeep, we had the Space Centre and the White Rock. Neither served any purpose, which I found deeply disappointing back when I put hundreds of hours into Sapphire and Emerald.

Also, I guess the Ghost Girl in Lumiose counts a lot, but I expect her story to be told via the inevitable Hoopa event, or at least in "Z/X2Y2". Same would go for Couriway Rail Station (why?), the hidden message in Lumiose Rail Station (what?), the inacessible power plants (they even had doors, for frig's sake!) and the inexplicable mention of a Lava Dome Pokémon in Jaune Plaza. Loads of unanswered questions, but we're pretty much guaranteed to get another game to answer them.

Last, I expected Bulbapedia to figure out the exact number of residents in Lumiose City any day now. It took them embarrasingly long for being the definite Wiki for all things Pokémon, and long remained a mystery, but it seems the final number is 416.
In Emerald,i encountered the secret door in Sootopolis city.It is located in a house near the PC and is blocked by three plants.There are many theories for what is behind it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^I think the house you're referring to is in Mossdeep, actually. The door was opened if you scanned the right e-reader cards - which only were available in Japan. Allegedly, you could battle some trainers in the back room.

^I think the house you're referring to is in Mossdeep, actually. The door was opened if you scanned the right e-reader cards - which only were available in Japan. Allegedly, you could battle some trainers in the back room.
Thanks.But i encountered the same door in sootopolis in emerald.That's the truth,but i hope to encounter something different this time since I'm playing it on my mobile.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Speaking of mysteries...

Why the heck is Palkia partially a Water type? Is there anything in its design, lore or media appearances that ties it to water? The only references I can find is that the shape of its head looks somewhat like a goblin shark, and it's got the entire pearl shtick going on, but the connections are flimsy at best, and doesn't really necessitate a secondary Water typing for Palkia. I can sort of see Steel making sense for Dialga, but Water for Palkia? Really? Huh?!?

Speaking of mysteries...

Why the heck is Palkia partially a Water type? Is there anything in its design, lore or media appearances that ties it to water? The only references I can find is that the shape of its head looks somewhat like a goblin shark, and it's got the entire pearl shtick going on, but the connections are flimsy at best, and doesn't really necessitate a secondary Water typing for Palkia. I can sort of see Steel making sense for Dialga, but Water for Palkia? Really? Huh?!?
Palkia's design incorporates pearls, which happen to be an aquatic jewel. Not sure if that makes sense, as Palkia is the god of space.

To be honest, I don't get it either.

I always thought of it as being water due to water being the classic science example for states of matter (gas, liquid, solid) but even that barely makes sense.

According to Bulbapedia, they figure it's a reference to it's animal template the Goblin Shark (compare the heads) mixed with the aforementioned pearls being a jewel made by oysters.
Edit: which were both already mentioned and this is why I need to read carefully.

...yeah I'm grasping at straws here. All three of this dragon trio are just freaky.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of mysteries...

In addition to Integer Mova's explanation, note the most common element in the universe is hydrogen, followed by helium and than oxygen. Now what is water made up of? ;) (they kind of ignored helium, but it was already part Dragon-type and I think the hydrogen aspect too precedence).

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
Speaking of mysteries...

This isn't really an explanation, but an easy way to use space-warping abilities offensively would be to open up portals to the seafloor...

...and now you know how Palkia uses Hydro Pump. :P

(I always thought maybe it was because it warped space like a fluid but idk if that even makes any sense.)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of mysteries...

Because space is an ocean.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Okay, that is seriously the best explanation I've seen so far. And you even used TVTropes. Well done.

This isn't really an explanation, but an easy way to use space-warping abilities offensively would be to open up portals to the seafloor...

...and now you know how Palkia uses Hydro Pump. :P
You know, that makes sense too. And, doing the math, it seems it'd be hella effective too.

To all of those above, why is Lugia a Psychic type? I honestly think Palkia and Lugia were designed at the same time for GSC but then they took Palkia out because reasons and switched their Water and Psychic types by accident, so Palkia ended up being a god of space with skills that could blow your mind and with a Water-type, while Lugia was the governor of a set of islands and the sea surrounding it with the Psychic type

To all of those above, why is Lugia a Psychic type? I honestly think Palkia and Lugia were designed at the same time for GSC but then they took Palkia out because reasons and switched their Water and Psychic types by accident, so Palkia ended up being a god of space with skills that could blow your mind and with a Water-type, while Lugia was the governor of a set of islands and the sea surrounding it with the Psychic type
Yeah, that got me too. When I first watched the Power of One movie, I thought it was a Water-type (with it being called a Guardian of the Seas, using Hydro Pump and is the counterpart of Ho-oh, who is a FIRE-type).

Oh, and does anyone have any theories on how / why N's ID is 00002? Normally, people don't pay attention to IDs but to give it such a number calls to question who is 00001 and what is the significance of that number.

Yeah, that got me too. When I first watched the Power of One movie, I thought it was a Water-type (with it being called a Guardian of the Seas, using Hydro Pump and is the counterpart of Ho-oh, who is a FIRE-type).

Oh, and does anyone have any theories on how / why N's ID is 00002? Normally, people don't pay attention to IDs but to give it such a number calls to question who is 00001 and what is the significance of that number.
I thought Lugia was Water/Flying when I was going after it in Crystal until I caught it and found it was actually Psychic/Flying. Maybe it has something to do with the whole heart/soul thing the remakes got labeled for? It and Ho-oh were originally residing in their own towers in Ecruteak City until Lugia's burned down, so there might be some symbolism here.

N's trainer ID is probably meant to just seem interesting, and not really have any significance, but maybe 00001 is Ghetsis? Or maybe that's what the ID registration thing randomly picked when coming up with N's trainer ID number?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Lugia Typing: And considering Lugia is based on a Ryujin, you'd think it would be Dragon/Water. However, I can understand them swapping out one of the types for Flying, Lugia was made more bird-like so that it could be the master of the winged mirages (though if Ho-Oh, a phoenix, can be a master of quadruped mammal-like beasts I don't see why a dragon couldn't be a master of birds), but the Psychic-type?
As everyone said, the oddity comes from Lugia being called the "Guardian of the Sea" and its other strong relations with water (not to mention the Ryujin was a god of the sea). I can only think they didn't want Lugia's main typing to be weak to the Winged Mirages main typing (even though Zapdos and Articuno would still do super effective damage against it) and Psychic was the closest one to make sense since dragon's usually exhibit magical/psychic powers in mythology, it can technically still control water with psychic powers, and it being psychic gives a notion it can mentally connect with the Winged Mirages who otherwise have no reason to follow Lugia (Ho-Oh at least created the Beast Trio, what's the connection between Lugia and the Winged Mirages besides its in charge to stop them from fighting?).

N 00002: I could only think they wanted a striking ID number and the number "2" has a bit of mathematical significance (also within the concept of dichotomy and dualism, themes that were strong present in Black & White and Gen V in general) and we know how much N loves math. Honestly I think his ID number should have been 00014. :P

On Lugia: I can understand the choice of Psychic typing as in the manga it is depicted as warping the water around itself in a sphere (kind of like water bending in Avatar), instead of swimming through water itself. It is also depicted as possessing telepathy in the anime (I think?).
On Palkia: I actually never had a problem with Palkia being water type until you guys mentioned it here. I thought it made sense because pearls are formed inside aquatic creatures. Someone above also mentioned the "space is like fluid" point which is also plausible.

As everyone said, the oddity comes from Lugia being called the "Guardian of the Sea" and its other strong relations with water (not to mention the Ryujin was a god of the sea). I can only think they didn't want Lugia's main typing to be weak to the Winged Mirages main typing (even though Zapdos and Articuno would still do super effective damage against it)...
Perhaps it was done to prevent Lugia from having a type advantage against Ho-oh? Or GF gave Lugia the Psychic-type since they wanted it to seem powerful or they felt they needed a non-event Psychic legendary?

Honestly I think his ID number should have been 00014. :P
I see what you did there.

N 00002: I could only think they wanted a striking ID number and the number "2" has a bit of mathematical significance (also within the concept of dichotomy and dualism, themes that were strong present in Black & White and Gen V in general) and we know how much N loves math. Honestly I think his ID number should have been 00014. :P
EDITED:
I do love the symbolism, but occam's razor suggests the simplest answer is probably right.

And the simplest answer is that the game's title is Black 2/White 2. The two is an identifier that these pokemon are from these sequels.

Speaking of Lugia, I really have no idea as to why it's psychic/flying. It really makes little sense. In fact, of all legendaries Lugia seems the most "all-original monster" (references to Ryujin, beluga whales, and dinosaurs aside, which I feel only kinda-sorta-if-I-squint fit the mold). Heck, even the novelization of the 2nd movie got the typing wrong; it listed it as water/flying.

It's probably not Water-type so it doesn't have an advantage over Ho-Oh.
Because Kyogre totally didn't own Groudon until ORAS comes out. :)

Yeah, the duality theory makes sense. But what do you mean by 00014?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)