Metagame Post-SPL Set Dump - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Now that SPL is basically all but over, you can share any ideas that you had during the season but were holding on to.

Feel free to include a description, especially if the set is unorthodox.

Tagging users: meeps The Goomy Soulgazer Finchinator giara reiku BODYBAG BONGRINE Dat Blast blunder blarajan Vileman Toxzn and FREE Annoyer

I'm sure i'm forgetting some players, I intentionally left out FLCL and Teddeh because finals haven't been played yet. If you haven't played too much but helped players test, etc. feel free to contribute =)

main ones:

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard / Low Kick

this set existed for a while s/o omfuga haha. but finchinator gave it exposure in spl and i kind of popularized it through ladder during the suspect test

life orb gets worn down too fast and eviolite is initially weak so you have to waste a slot and turn on swords dance. cb low kick bopped mega steelix, hariyama, and piloswine for ~50% minimum. screwed over a lot of the offensive teams with heliolisk + pokemon around the 100-110 speed range and got a lot of key KOs with just stealth rock. still a great set rn and you can even run both pursuit and ice shard now. best sneasel hands down

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Endeavor

another set finchinator ended up using, which caught his opp off-guard and almost netted him a win. taken straight out of bw nu. earthquake has more targets now but sometimes doesn't do enough to stuff like rhydon, and endeavor can almost guarantee something bulky goes down bar rare gourgeist-large

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Grass Knot

this set kind of lingered around and was known by a handful of people. grass knot does the same damage as hidden power fire to mega steelix so it was really good in that metagame. still maintained the ability to hit seismitoad and rhydon. it's obviously intended for that metagame

also note the spread, which should be on most offensive uxie sets with the other spread being 252 spe. i'm not sure if people switched over to it yet bc i don't pay attention to anything on the forums as much as i used to, but months ago i've noticed some people only reaching for sawk and missing out on base 90/91 speed pokemon which can be really bad when you're dealing with kangaskhan, lilligant, or rotom. i added an extra 4 spe evs to beat stuff that beat them by one point only

also this spread's great for stealth rock + thunder wave uxie. love being able to get the surprise thunder wave off on lilligant and klinklang

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

never had it shown off but one of my favorite pokemon right now. specially-based carracosta gets the surprise on seismitoad and stuff. a mixed set with stone edge still gets offensive exeggutor and ludicolo, and also mantine. going full special basically gives you a mini-gorebyss that trades power for the typing with solid rock and the surprise factor; ice beam just guarantees some KOs against vileplume, more exeggutor, and stuff

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

another set that didn't get any spotlight. people often opted for choice even though lots of eviolite sets were used prior to oras. i just enjoy scyther's bulk and being able to give some trouble with swords dance and u-turn

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

soulgazer and i kind of stumbled upon this prior to midseason but he never used it. +2 life orb leaf storm without overgrow does like ~75% minimum to garbodor and hariyama lmao. i had hidden power ice here because of the specific team/core and it's probably not the optimal one right now; there's a bunch of other options

others:

cacturne @ yache berry is another classic because of all the samurott and ludicolo lately. limited uses tbh; it just depends on your team. it does make cacturne an alright one-time switch-in to them i guess but you really want to save it for the setup opportunity

offensive cm grumpig during the mega steelix metagame. iirc soulgazer loves this set so he can post about it!! it was one of my favorites too

rock polish + swords dance cradily,, haha heard vileman bopped someone with it recently. weaker than rhydon but sets up on different things and has different resistances, so very dependent on team build. soulgazer(?) made other cool sets

subsalac samurott is an old set that i've advocated for early on and tried out, and case actually ended up using it once. it's alright and has its uses but misses the power aside from the torrent boost on hydro pump

choice scarf exeggutor was funny early on. finchinator hates me for it as he does for a lot of my teams

lumineon!!! superior to prinplup. haha love jirachee

p.s. do not run slow hariyama (including that 44 ev and under speedcreep bullshit that finchinator likes) or else it's even more of a garbage pokemon lol.

also shoutouts to thunder wave sawsbuck, Finchinator's nemesis

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Ok, I'll post some sets that come to mind and maybe more later.

@ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Fire Punch
- Explosion

So this is one of my favorite SR setters in the tier atm. I had used a ground type (as an SR setter) pretty much every week and wanted to change it up, so I was brainstorming what to use for a non-ground SR setter. At this point in team building, I wanted a check to Sneasel and another check to fire types, so Regirock became the most logical solution (Rhydon would have also made sense, but Knock Off made it so vulnerable and the ice weakness it had wasn't doing it any favors either).

The EVs allow you to tank 2 Specs Timid Eruptions from full health Typhlosion and also tank various hits from weaker special attackers like Scarf Rotom, the Impish nature makes it so Sawk needs absolute max damage to have a chance to KO Regirock with Close Combat when it is Adamant CB Sawk - usually leaves you in Custap Range, and the leftover EVs are all thrown into attack to maximize damage output. Custap Berry is the main selling-point of the set; Regirock is tanking so many hits throughout a game that it often ends up low, but not quite dead, especially if you play around things to set this situation up, so it will often be able to take advantage of an unexpected Custap berry to remedy lackluster speed for a turn and get up SR before dying or boom before being killed.

SR is a staple and should be used on all (barring the rare Curse) Regirock, Stone Edge is strong rock STAB, EQ is used to hit Garbodor and opposing rock types/steel types although Fire Punch is nice for Ferroseed and the rare Magnet Rise Klinklang, and explosion is for unexpected strong suicidal damage being inflicted upon the opponent.

Overall, this set is reliable in regards to checking things and getting up Rocks while it's also potent thanks to Custap and Boom being unexpected.

(F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Milk Drink
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Return / Body Slam

This was best in Heliolisk meta - especially if you knew your opponent didn't like using Focus Blast in the forth slot - because it effectively checked fire move spam, Heliolisk, and offensive teams lacking a hard hitting wall-breaker that can check Miltank. I know this isn't the most unorthodox or creative set, but Miltank is uncommon as it is; Curse Miltank is quite the rarity, so I figured I'd post it.

I used this vs Teddeh and it didn't get much time to shine in the battle, but I can still attest to the effectiveness of Curse Miltank in some situations because it's done work in tests and at other times.

Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

This set is really just standard SD Sheer Force LO Mawile set, but with Substitute over Iron Head / Fire Fang. Substitute lets you set up on otherwise problematic pokemon like Garbodor who run mono-attacking sets or use Seed Bomb as coverage (clear smog garb is lame though). In addition, if people try to "play around" you and get an eventually favorable match up against Mawile, you can take advantage of this with a well-timed safe sub on their risky prediction oriented switch into you as many teams lack a solid answer to offensive Mawile imo.

Honorable mentions (typing on phone, so will cut it short here and just mention other less noteworthy sets and maybe make another post later): Colbur fast Wisp/DBond/MagicCoat Gourgeist, Psych Up Mesprit, and SD Normal Gem Double Edge Leafeon.

My best innovation I already posted in the creative sets spread a while back; it can be seen here, but it was best back when MegaLix was allowed.

Ps: thanks to Vileman / Ium for the help on a weekly basis (none of this would have seen the light of day if it was only me probably), to the Bigs for being amazing as a team, and the NU community for being organized, helpful, and friendly - will certainly stick around in this tier in the future as opposed to OU for now :)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
week 1:
Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Will-O-Wisp

nice lure in the steelix/rupt metagame

week 5:
Garbodor @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Explosion
- Rock Polish

its actually pretty strong and can sweep late game

Lickilicky @ Chople Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Return
- Power Whip

beats hariyama one on one and was a lure for virizion

Ferroseed @ Eviolite / Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

sets up hazards on mantine and other defoggers

Claydol @ Rindo Berry / Other berry
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

another lure for virizion and also lures xatu

week 7:
Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Moonlight

great support pokemon in general

also used some other "creative" sets but they didn't pan out so i'm not gonna include them

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Uxie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Grass Knot
flcl used it first iirc and i just ended up spamming it + i would just run speed honestly oo. hp fire is cool for klinklang and ferroseed.

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
I didn't run it, but imo something like 176 HP / 80 SpDef / 252 Spe jolly is better for spread since speed tying with other base 105s can save you in certain scenarios o.o

offensive cm grumpig during the mega steelix metagame. iirc soulgazer loves this set so he can post about it!! it was one of my favorites too
I ran Grumpig because my team needed a fighting type resist + fire resist in 1 slot. Grumpig ended up being better than expected and even helped me get reqs! did 0 in spl though >:(

I used Psychic / Signal Beam / Focus Blast / Calm Mind 80 HP / 252 Spa / 176 Spe Modest w/ Leftovers iirc

rock polish + swords dance cradily,, haha heard vileman bopped someone with it recently. weaker than rhydon but sets up on different things and has different resistances, so very dependent on team build. soulgazer(?) made other cool sets
RP + Weakness Policy and SpDef Mirror Coat Cradily are stuff i wanted to use (first one is meh but the latter is actually quite good). rp + wp is kinda obv so i wont talk too much about it lol. Mirror Coat Cradily is quite good because my main issue with it was that it was quite weak and couldnt rly beat stuff that it could take hits from.. and then i found it lmao. Dily can take a Specs Blaze Fire Blast and Mcoat it, Samurott Ice beam, M-Camerupt, etc. I had a stall team with it for the Heliolisk metagame, not sure if it can fit on teams now :/

p.s. do not run slow hariyama (including that 44 ev and under speedcreep bullshit that finchinator likes) or else it's even more of a garbage pokemon lol.
or dont run that pos at all haha
but seriously.. either run a fk ton of creep or dont run any at all IMO. ALSO PUP AV IS THE FUTURE

--------------

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

best set. outspeed and 2hko Xatu, has rocky helmet + drain punch + aftermath so that it can beat Sneasel / Pawniard / Klinklang / etc, and Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for a rly good amount. Sure its not as bulky, but if you use it well it will easily come in more than once during the game and get a kill or two!

I used Jumpluff w/ Acrobatics / Swords Dance / Sleep Powder / Memento Week 2 vs giara and its a rly cool set too, obvsly run that with set up sweepers that like Jumpluff's presence.

as for ideas i wanted to use but ended up not to.. subendeavor Archeops with tspikes, LO Hwish Lilligant, Curse Quagsire w/ Scald, LO 3 Atk + Pain Split Weezing, fast Taunt Weezing, LO Focus Blast Garbodor in M-Steelix meta, Coil EQ / Gunk / Seed Bomb Arbok, Fast TR Exeggutor in Virizion meta, and a ton more lol

Last edited:
:o

I didnt try that much to innovate during this SPL, but i used some uncommon sets, some did work, some failed miserably :(
I created some sets, but most of them were ideas i found in various threads in the NU subforum, im not claiming authorship on any of the sets.

Week 1

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 72 Def / 116 SpA / 216 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

I felt AV > leftovers would let Lanturn do its job better, i went with hp grass and signal beam to somewhat hit Seismitoad and Malamar, SpA evs allow for a ~2HKO on both, and speed evs allow Lanturn to outspeed 4 speed Seismi. Bulk evs are some relic of the tank spread i used as a start, they can be optimised for sure.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Substitute

Running max speed allows Camel to be faster than some of its checks (it is even faster than 4 speed Mantine prior to mega) and Sub is cool because camel forces switches.

Week 4

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 64 HP / 228 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Bulky SD Scyther, Blunder and I agreed to play w/o MegaLix this week, and this Scyther came to mind as something that could abuse MegaLix being gone, it did pretty well.
Speed reaches 330, to outspeed positive base 100. HP evs allow Scyther to take a +1 Psychic from 0 SpA Mush after SR, or 2 w/o SR.
Leftovers evs went to atk to hit as hard as possible.
Its a cool Malamar check too as +0 Bug Bite OHKOs +1 Malamar.

Week 6

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Earth Power
- Signal Beam
- Rapid Spin

Going max SpA with some speed gives Claydol some offensive presence it does need, so it doesnt get setup on by half of the tier. Signal Beam scores an easy 2HKO on Malamar (55% min vs 252/252+ Malamar), it reaches 213 speed and still got an ok bulk.

Week 7

Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Pain Split
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Didnt get any action during the SPL, but seemed very scary with tspikes support, especially vs the bulky team Cased brought that week.

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

More of a "core" than 2 separate pokes, was probably better with MegaLix being around, as it was one of the most common Mush switch in, but a +1 LO Ludi in rain is scary o.o
Mush can provide slow dry pass anyway if it doesnt get a setup opportunity, and that's still v good.

Week 8

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Endeavor

Not that innovative, but you can hope to sleep one thing, endeavor another one, and you're up 5-4 within the very first turns of the game. It can come back later to endeavor shit too if you can keep SR off and get a free switch-in on anything slower than Vivi.

I didn't run it, but imo something like 176 HP / 80 SpDef / 252 Spe jolly is better for spread since speed tying with other base 105s can save you in certain scenarios o.o
i usually run through a few spreads, but i used this spread on scyther bc it can tank some stuff like kangaskhan really well. you can always completely roost off double edge damage against jolly ones while adamant doesn't do much more at all. it just happened to work out the way i set up my team

RP + Weakness Policy and SpDef Mirror Coat Cradily are stuff i wanted to use (first one is meh but the latter is actually quite good). rp + wp is kinda obv so i wont talk too much about it lol. Mirror Coat Cradily is quite good because my main issue with it was that it was quite weak and couldnt rly beat stuff that it could take hits from.. and then i found it lmao. Dily can take a Specs Blaze Fire Blast and Mcoat it, Samurott Ice beam, M-Camerupt, etc. I had a stall team with it for the Heliolisk metagame, not sure if it can fit on teams now :/
they were def more suited for that metagame. i can advocate for mirror coat being really fun because [00:08:18] <@Finchinator> fuck mirror coat

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner

Rotom (Rotom-Frost) @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

I used this set week 3 vs soulgazer, as it was made to break through most of the defensive cores that he likes and the fat mons that were popular at the time (think garbodor, camel, steelix, mantine) sg loved using steelix/mantine so I figured this would be a great mon to combat that as well as being able to throw around burns on whatever he chose to switch in. wide lens is there so that i have a better shot at hitting my less accurate moves, turning blizzard to 77% and will o wisp to 93% putting them at the level where i can complain if i miss :D I planned to use this set later on in week 9 along with scyther to form a voltturn core with hazards, but ended up not going though with it. I recommend trying it out still as it still does its job of wearing down most fat cores and nothing in NU really likes taking a blizzard barring hariyama.

Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

hands down my favorite mon in nu. tangela was fantastic as it beat almost every physical attacker as well as being one of the few things that could come into steelix easily. regenerator was a god send and allowed me to hit something hard with leaf storm and then pivot out to one of my other mons. hp fire lets you hit other grass types on the switch as well as stops klinklang for setting up on you which is nice. most of the team you're just hitting leaf storm though. I usually paired it with mantine / mega lix and it was a fantastic defensive core that took on pretty much everything except magmortar. even with the ban of m-lix it's still definitely worth using as it can easily pivot into most annoying mons like hariyama and actually threaten whatever comes in.

Audino (M) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

This set is similar to the offensive calm mind spread, just with healing wish over calm mind since audino is fat enough to take two or three hits and bring back a mon. pretty fun set and hits decently hard thanks to its great coverage. other options for the set are surf > gk to hit camerupt.

now some mons that i was going to use but didn't quite make the cut

i planned to use sd 3 attack serperior week 2 vs case with leaf blade / knock off / aqua tail because with spikes support it can actually do some work with +2. aqua tail can break through camerupt easily, knock off was to battle other grass types and take on uxie, and leaf blade for STAB. it was a fun set but unfortunately serperior was so weak that in the end i switched to the superior grass type -

@ custap berry. at the time i actually thought that this set would put in work and be amazing with the release of custap berry but i decided against using it, because i really didn't want to bring a pokemon that had the role of late game cleaner that needed luck to work. i used energy ball / protect / psychic / sleep powder, but you can probably run hp fire > sleep powder.

Last edited:

Cased

Banned deucer.
lol o god i'm sorry if i give anyone aids with a few of the sets i was contemplating. i won't embarrass myself by showing logs of trying to comprehend why people didn't use Rock Tomb Camerupt,,, fuk Sheer force

(M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Giga Impact
- Return
- Punishment
- Earthquake / Pursuit

The God himself, Punishment was really cool for CM Uxie I guess and this was a bit of a counterstyle Pokemon for Soulgazer, considering the metagame right now lacks a whole bunch of Steel-types, and Klinklang gets rekt to the point where it cant be too effective late-game so it's pretty interesting of a set. Main thing this has over other Normal-types is that just raw power + decent physical bulk, if you pair it with two walls that have cool bulk to take on special pokemon (Mega Rupt + Ferro in my case) you can check a majority of special attackers that could abuse a re-charge turn.

(F) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 120 Atk / 172 SDef / 216 Spd OR 252 Atk / Rest in SpD / 216 Speed
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Punch / Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Power-Up Punch / Earthquake

I didn't really think priority was too necessary witout TSpikes on Hariyama, plus this team had a Sneasel + Rotom-n so BPing Archeops wasn't too huge of a deal. I thought this set was really chill and SG took my PuP Hariyama Week 5 vs. Teddie idea which is sad but yeah. I ran this set twice (Except first set ran max adamant because bulk wasn't a big deal) but yeah. There aren't many Pokemon that love to switch into Hariyama bar the Colbur Musharna set people enjoy but that's somewhat easy to pressure with hazards and generally strong attacks so yeah that's why this set was cool. It really hurt a lot of the bulky teams and a lot of players relied on Garbodor or Mantine to round off Defensive cores so this was cool to kinda pressure that in a sense.

@ Life Orb
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 240 Atk / 172 SAtk / 96 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Shift Gear

Anybody who knows me, knows that I've had a huge boner for this set back in the BW2 NU days on Pokemon Online (Used Thunder over Return fuck Alomomola) But yeah, this set is easily one of my favorite. HP Grass lures in Seismitoad / Quagsire which can be awesome for opening holes and things of that nature. Tbh, Volt Switch could also be used on a mixed set just to wreck havoc if you're real af. Not much else to say about this. Didn't get used in SPL but I've had 2-3 teams that I almost pulled the trigger on, mainly vs. Ted / Giara / Goomy since they didn't know I loved this set as SG / Finch did

(M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Signal Beam
- Scald

Had to shout-out the set that copped me my first kill this SPL on the first turn. Specs Mantine was really fucking fun and an awesome offensive pivot with amazing immunities and resistances in NU right now. To the point where a shitload of things are running odd moves in order to lure it. Wild Charge Typh / Pyroar or HP Electric Samurott, I'm guilty of running both unfortunately. But yeah, can't say much more about this set lol, straight forward. Signal Beam for SpD Malamar OHKO or w.e strong damage is cool and I like hitting the bulky Psychics for definite damage because fuck Hydro

@ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

iirc in SPL I actually ran the 56 Spd into 56 SpD, I forgot what I lived but it did help with tanking strong special moves at +1 but yeah. This set was really cool. Obviously played a key in my Week 1 win against FLCL but if it wasn't specifically this set, I would've lost unfortunately so yeah. CroUxie absorbs status for any team and isn't phazed by annoying Toxic Pokemon or Rotom-S w/ Will-O-Wisp to name something I guess. Great overall set though. Lure Dark-types in obviously, or let them get worn down with Rocky Helmet Garbodors and hazards in general. TSpikes work too.

(M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 88 HP / 236 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / GK
- Agility

Yeah I don't even wanna talk about this lol

I'll post a few more when I feel motivated to keep posting these but yeah I was the first to use Offensive Mega Audino in SPL iirc and I used Frillish too,,,

Sawsbuck (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Frustration

Im new to the tier so I mainly stuck with standard stuff but in testing this thing had alot of protential. It is kinda of matchup based but I guess if you do pull it off it can kind destroy opponents.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
note: I'm not nearly as creative as most people in SPL were because most gimmicks I try to use are shit in practice. I did come up with some cool stuff tho!

Vivillon @ Focus Sash | Compoundeyes
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def | Timid
Sleep Powder | Hurricane | Endeavor | Energy Ball

Everyone pretty much knows about this at this point but I was the first to use it as far as I know. Gave it to Brawlfest who was a fuckin dick and posted it without giving me credit

Jynx @ Focus Sash | Dry Skin
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def | Timid
Nasty Plot | Ice Beam | Psyshock | Lovely Kiss

Not really creative, but Sash Jynx is a fucking beast that more people need to use. Excellent disruptor and early-game wallbreaker that sleeps stuff and destroys lives at +2.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
I used mixed Carracosta too but I typically liked using WP + Sturdy to give it an extra niche as a catch-all "revenge killer" with Xatu support, worked especially well in Serperior meta but it's still quite effective

shoutout to Sash and / or Sturdy spam in general, it's probably the only form of hyper offense I actually like

Leafeon @ Leftovers | Chlorophyll
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe | Jolly
Swords Dance | Baton Pass | Leaf Blade | Substitute

Again, not really that creative cause it's pretty much standard from BW2, but really underrated set right now too. Pairs well with most fast physical attackers like Sneasel and Tauros

---

Some other things worth mentioning: SD / AJ / Ice Punch / Natural Gift Gatr @ Rindo Berry (would've definitely used this at some point if Sheer Force hadn't been released so rip), Specs Swellow which didn't do much in my match vs FLCL but it's still really cool, offensive Spikes / Explosion / Waterfall / Thunder Wave or Taunt Qwilfish @ Helmet, SubCoil Huntail, and offensive SD Pass Mawile.

that's all I got pretty much, might post again if I remember anything else

This is going to include sets I used and sets I wanted to use and had teams for.

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

This is liked. I didn't like relying on Sleep Powder because fuck that move on non-Vivillon, and it was super cool having Healing Wish support on an offensive team. It's a really easy good option.

Liepard @ Choice Band
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Trick
- Gunk Shot

I used this week 1 when I completely owned the living shit out of blunder fucking noob. It's really, really, really cool. It's a solid Fairy-type lure and is just bloody strong. Trick is really cool as it kind of does what Liepard's supposed to do, while boosting all its attacks and just being awesome. Shit rocks.

Seismitoad @ Expert Belt
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

I don't remember if I used this but it was a cool way to make Seismitoad more offensively threatening. EVs outrun neutral 55s and Sludge Wave with Expert Belt OHKOes Exeggutor which rocks.

Mantine @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Surf
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I really wanted to use this but the team I had it on fucking sucked. It's such a cool Pokemon, it outruns +Spe 70s and just straight murks them. It was to check SD Adamant Return Feraligatr primarily, but it beats Samurott and Ludicolo in such a fun way. The team I had it on adored Tailwind, it boosted up my Zangoose.

Dragonair @ Eviolite
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

I wanted to use this really badly. I had a cool stall team I built this on. It's a bulky monster and sets up on literally fucking everything.

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Focus Blast

Fuck you Camerupt.

Uxie @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Water Pulse

I also wanted to use this. Fuck you Seismitoad, Ferroseed, and Camerupt.

Sawk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Pain Split

I was so hyped with this idea but no opportunity to use it. Just seemed really fucking cool.

I had other ideas but I deleted them and don't remember. I was struggling really hard to innovate.

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Please don't use banded Liepard.

Week 5

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Reversal

Standard.SturdySawk with Reversal. Late game Reversal is absolutely destructive. I know
this set was a lot more popular in BW on a scarf set, but I figured it would help with fat cores like Steelix/Mantine.
This actually 2hkos defensive Musharna at 1HP. Disgusting.

Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Moonlight

Also not "innovative" as it's something that was run in BW NU, but something I wanted to bring back.
Ran this set alongside fighting spam to lure dark types. This set is still easily my favorite in ORAS NU,
and it's incredibly fun to use. The speed was there to outpace slow Steelix so it's even easier to set up on,
and basically guarantees you outpace other Musharna. In addition, this set beats pretty much every CM Psychic type
in the tier 1v1.

Week 6

Meganium @ Yache Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Meganium, the hero of Week 6 vs the artist formerly known as CasedVictory.

The idea behind the set was that it did a lot better against MegaSteelix at that point in time.
The ability to run Earthquake alongside Yache Berry is what made it better to me than Leafeon,
as I had to choose between hitting Steelix (Natural Gift) and checking DD Gatr.
Outrage literally serves no purpose. Happy Dino is happy. :]

Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Mr. Mime actually hits like a truck, has good speed, and it has excellent coverage (and Focus Blast hits Steelix).
Not too much to say about this, but the fact that I brought it was somewhat innovative in-of-itself.

Week 7

Typhlosion @ Power Herb
Ability: Blaze
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Wild Charge
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Water]

After watching Soulgazer's replays I saw he liked to run Mega Camerupt + Mantine cores, so I decided
to run this lure-phlosion with Lead Crustle. It ended up doing absolutely nothing, but it was able to lure
Mantine, Camerupt, and Seismitoed pretty reliably in testing. (I think Cased ended up building with this too after I told him the set?)

Week 8

No innovation. :[

Week 9

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Tailwind

Ran this Mantine on rain hyper offense. The thing that made this set "special" was Tailwind in the last slot.
Mantine can basically run anything it wants in the last slot, and most people choose Rain Dance to get weather back up,
but I thought the utility of Tailwind would be better (I can get 3 more turns of double speed if I'm about to die on the last rain turn)

Lairon @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: null Def / null SpD / null Spe
- Metal Burst
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Head Smash
Used it against finch :L the idea is you get hit down to sturdy and get a kill with metal burst, it baited eq's from steelix, volt switches from helio, etc to the point where you hit custap range where you could either get up rocks, endeavor or kill yourself with head smash to maintain momentum. 36hp allows you to ohko a toad that has 401hp :] credits to HJAD for thinking of the set

Now that final has been played, i'll dump a few more things that were "innovative" that i used / were thinking of using n_n

Week 3
Musharna @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Moonlight
- Healing Wish
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
The MVP against meeps, won me my first week. Needed a fighting switch in + malamar check, also nice for healing wish late game n_n

Week 6
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion
A set I used against finch, sets up the spikes and booms on defogger to keep momentum. Great for luring things like camel + mantine and even xatu if i needed to get up rocks more. enough speed to outspeed base 70s neutral n_n

Week 7
Meru (Scyther) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
it trapped malamar counters with pursuit, forced the switch with u-turn. Helped against Reiku by trapping his haunter n_n

Week 8 + 9
Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Subsitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Play Rough
Acted as a sneasel counter, got up rocks and acted as a pivot with BP. If i were to face a bulkier team, it would potentially break pokemon that setup and pass boosts / subs onto threats such as tauros or my own sneasel n_n

Semi Final
Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
Used this against toxzn in semis, it breaks / has something to hit every fire check. EQ for camel + lanturn, will-o for regi + yama, t-bolt for mantine ofc and in general is a great core breaker for others to clean up.

Potential ideas that never made the cut:
Golurk @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
not really "innovation" but it was something that i was thinking of using and is hella underrated right now with good wall breaking move set combo's n_n

Vivillon @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
Noticed that not a lot in the tier resists grass + flying combo, it would have put in work if sneasel didn't get really popular the last few weeks.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Grass Knot
Surprisingly not a lot in the tier can beat this, is surprisingly bulky and would definitely put in work with enough support. I put this in the team builder a countless number of times but couldn't think of a team that suited its needs and support for me to feel comfortable enough using it.

Sorry for dumping so much O:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
heres some more

Seismitoad @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this was my set vs teddeh but i messed up and had modest on it (i sent it in on samurott cuz i thought it was timid)

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn / Toxic
- Roost

better than pdef mantine imo or any other variant of pelipper/mantine, i think its just bulky enough to survive 2 specs typhlosion eruptions which is very good. also a nice pivot for balance teams with hard hitters

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 96 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

sry Bad Ass i never got to use this set

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 108 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

i used rhydon a lot of times this spl and this was the only set/spread i ever used

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stone Edge
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin

mega steelix / seismitoad lure set that i never got to use

heres some more

Seismitoad @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this was my set vs teddeh but i messed up and had modest on it (i sent it in on samurott cuz i thought it was timid)

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn / Toxic
- Roost

better than pdef mantine imo or any other variant of pelipper/mantine, i think its just bulky enough to survive 2 specs typhlosion eruptions which is very good. also a nice pivot for balance teams with hard hitters

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 96 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

sry Bad Ass i never got to use this set

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 108 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

i used rhydon a lot of times this spl and this was the only set/spread i ever used

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stone Edge
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin

mega steelix / seismitoad lure set that i never got to use
hey fooly just wondering what protect does on cm mesprit? is it purely for fake out shenanigans?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hey fooly just wondering what protect does on cm mesprit? is it purely for fake out shenanigans?
people were running this is bw2 iirc, and afaik protect is just generally good utility allowing you to scout, dodge fake out, and recover hp to live attacks while maintaing the offensive capabilities of cm 3 attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)