Post-SPL Set Dump

eh since uupl is just starting, i'll not share everything, but here are a couple of cool cores i intended on using on playoffs:

+

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Agility
- Volt Switch

basically the idea behind this was to get a free np with togetic's bulk, pass to ampharos, use agillity and go ham. usually the first thing they send vs togetic is a steel or electric type, against whom ampharos can easily setup. a +2/+2 ampharos is bulky, speedy and brutal. tbolt does like 65% to florges, who can't OHKO you. i use volt switch because this set is also good as a pivot in case you don't manage to setup, and focus blast sucks when it misses, and honestly it doesn't hit anything, except for like blissey, but i don't wanna rely on a <50% chance of beating blissey, i'd much rather kill it with another member. plus, using volt switch might make the foe not expect an agillity.

+

PROBLEMS (Zoroark) @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 236 Atk / 56 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough
- Frustration

it might sound retarded but this core forces mindgames against your opponent, making him nervous as fuck. i'd pair this with something like heracross so the mindgames would be even more hardcore. zoroark can be disguised as anything, but the advantages of having it disguised as slurpuff are the following:
-the opponent won't want to use fighting/bug attacks;
-hazards will never spoil the bluff
-the opponent is likely to send like bronzong, suicune, rhyperior, swampert, mega aggron, forretress, etc, who all take heavy damage from the appropriate move.
-if you flamethrower you don't straight up reveal it's zoroark because u might still bluff special slurpuff i guess
also sucker punch is godly since they don't expect it fsr and it can kill aero after prior damage.
btw, if u use this, don't change the zoroark nickname for obvious reasons

Last edited:

Ode to Stellar (Swampert) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave

OHKOs Whimsicott with Sludge Wave.

Alas Ally <3 (Froslass) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Shard

Revenge kills Salamence after Stealth Rocks. Didn't use this one because I opted for Focus Sash.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Psychic
- Roost

Underrated as fuck. Pretty good in UU if you want to keep hazards off against people who rely on defensive Pokemon to set them up. Significantly better than Espeon, which is literally garbage.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Pain Split

Another great Pokemon that checks important shit like Entei, Heracross and Mienshao, and setups spikes

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-Mow is so good in the current meta. EVs are to be faster than Gatr.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Spiky Shield

Never really got to use this, but shit is great against bulky teams.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Love bulky SD Croak to shit on slow bulky teams

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 272-322 (74.7 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 153-180 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (70 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 99-117 (27.1 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Really liking your AmphaTic combo radian, akin to the one in OU where Mega-Amph can own Balance and Stall, something you've had the displeasure to face when running Stall ahah. Definitly something I'd like using if I had to play UU again.

I'm not dedicaced to the tier and only had to play it once during this SPL, but I did my homeworks during the whole season be it because I wanted to help Sam, prepare my games or just for the hell of it. Here are some shit I cooked up:

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 160 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

I was making an offensive team and trying to follow some kind of "formula" which included a good priority, and to my surprise, I didn't see a lot of strong priority users in the tier. I remembered Mega-Abo was the bomb in RU and liked the snowtree's typing for my team, so I went with its regular form. It used to be SD, but it turned out I never had the opportunity to sweep and would just appreciate the priority most of the time. Someone suggested me to run a Mixed Set and it worked out better. I also liked the hail in my team and I feel like Offensive Teams appreciate every kind of residual damages to break down Balanced/Stally core in this bulky metagame (also useful should I run into a weather sweeper).
-----

Archeops (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Endeavor
- Heat Wave
- Stealth Rock

I'm fan of "Kamikaze" Archeops, as I like to call it, in my Hyper Offenses. I love the speed, ability to set-up rocks, power, and more importantly the fast Endeavor to cripple something for good (might as well consider it dead) before dying. I was running the classic Taunt set (and still do), but since people expect it, they often attack right away. Rock Tomb is pretty amazing to slow down something before going down, giving you more options for your slower Pokemons and thus more options to formulate a game plan. It also takes care of M-Aero/Crobat who would try some Defog shenanigans. Heat Wave was the real "innovation", as it wrecks Forretress thinking it has a field day on you, while hitting Cobalion and Mega-Aggron for solid damages (those two like coming in on Archeops as well). I still think the classic Taunt set has its merits tho. If you're not a fan of Rock Tomb, 100 Atk EVs and Stone Edge ensures the OHKO on BulkyCrobat.
-----

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hypnosis
- U-turn
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I really wanted a rather fast sleeper in my Offense to better accentuate my grip on the games, and Crobat caught my eye with an "unavoidable" (read non Sleep Powder) Hypnosis. Albeit shaky, it can be quite game changer/winner (I had ADV Gengar in mind when I used it). Sharp Beak because I wanted more power while not losing life. I originally had Cross Poison over Roost, but it never saw use, and being able to heal Crobat can be life-saver end game to avoid a Scarf Mienshao sweep for example. Overall amazing momentum machine that racked up a lot of damages with the hazards up.
-----

I also had a ParaAbuse team with Physical Defensive Xatu @ Rocky Helmet | TWave | Night Shade | Roost | U-Turn, which was pretty funky to use, but I don't think it deserves its own mention (it was paired with the exact Qwilfish set Hikari just posted as I was writing this post lol).

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Heracross @ Custap Berry
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance / Knock Off
-Close Combat
-Megahorn / Knock Off
-Endure

I never got a chance to use this thing but I always had it in the back for most of my teams. The idea is to punish balance/bulky O teams that rely on faster mons to kill Hera. Obviously with +2 it's going to be tearing through most things. The idea is to Endure against the faster mon and get off a powerful attack with the Custap Berry. I like Endurev Salac hera but it's still slower than most scarfers. Although someone may realize something is up when nothing happens after the Endure, if they switch out you still pretty much get another kill.

Nidoking (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

averages 3 kills per game

Escavalier (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run / Knock Off / Reversal
- Endure

pretty dumb set i used vs reach which never got any game time (probably for the best), gets into custap range and kills something with a surprise swarm megahorn

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

pearl made me bring this

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Roar
- Rapid Spin

used offensive mega toise with roar on my yanmega squad, weakens special walls with wish like florges and vap and roars them out if they try to protect, also spins!

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Pretty much the only innovative thing I've created in this SPL for UU, might as well post it before bugzinator claims it (author's notes: FUCK IT HE NINJA'D ME),,,

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

tbh, Curse Aggron's probably been a known thing for quite a while, but I've not really seen many people use it. The premise is that it's an amazing win condition against both balance and stall (although the rise of threats like Roar Suicune probably make it a lot less effective, but this is sometime I came up with for bugzinator to use during Week 3, so keep that in mind), and even against offense it's not that hard to get a Curse boost against something and proceed to tank a strong hit from whatever else comes in (Filter helps a lot here) and proceed to KO it back. Goes really well with Dragalge (Toxic Spikes support) and Suicune checks.

edit: IT SHITS ON AERODACTYL TOO!!!

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
roseli gunk shot druddigon

Druddigon @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Gunk Shot

8 SpA Sheer Force Druddigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 164 SpD Forretress: 332-392 (94 - 111%) -- dead
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Druddigon: 124-147 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- fucking 0
252+ Atk Sheer Force Druddigon Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 322-380 (89.4 - 105.5%) -- dead
252+ Atk Sheer Force Druddigon Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 362-426 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- deader

thats just the spread i use on forry but it still does 77 min to full SpD. brave druddigon is still faster than impish forry in case anyone was wondering.

curse bp umb + white herb hitmonlee lol this shit is dumb but w/e

Umbreon @ Leftovers / Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Payback
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight
- Curse

Hitmonlee (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Mach Punch

while im usually not a fan of mons that are useless outside receiving a pass aka this hitmonlee, this shit is actually pretty fucking hard to stop. you come in w/ umb and force something out like it always does, start cursing up and now you're slower so you get the pass while umb takes the hit rather then lee. then lee comes in, white herb activates, and now you have a +x / +x / +2 hitmonlee with perfect coverage and priority on the field so you should win unless you miss your rock move on their crobat.

also i was thinking about agility + 3 attacks gatr + reuni cause gatr shits on offense and reuni on stall but those arent exactly innovative

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hikari I love bulky croak, used it vs bugzy in week 4 and it was amazing. However I put in enough speed for most Cune (148 EVs) and Ice Punch > Gunk Shot but that was mainly because I suspected he would bring Gligar. Also bugzy you ninja'd my Roar Blastoise :P great set though, used it alongside Entei to weaken Vappy in week 1 and worked very well.

Here's a cool set I was discussing with Cased and Kevin, might have used it in playoffs:

Krookodile @ Passho Berry
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Used mainly for Mega Aero. Most Krook nowadays run Pursuit over Stone Edge and prefer Superpower on the CB set, so this has the potential to surprise Aero who think Krook is a switch-in opportunity. It can also switch into Hone Claws Aero as it boosts up. Basically absorb the Aqua Tail with the berry and OHKO back (please hit) after SR. It's also not forced out by stuff like offensive Cune or even Feraligatr anymore, and in fact can beat DD Gatr one on one.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used this twice in SPL, but this is a chance to show it off, and it's really worth showing off since it's pretty much the best Fighting counter I've ever used in any iteration of UU.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast
- Roost

300 speed to outspeed Entei, which you can switch in on quite freely because your main attacks are special. Mence can take on just about every commonly used set of just about every Fighting type in UU with this combination of bulk and speed. Not a true sweeper or wallbreaker, but a great way to Fighting-proof a team, especially if you are running a Fighting-weak core like Snorlax/Krookodile, one of my favorites.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace

I don't know how creative this is, as I don't really play UU too much so I don't know what's considered standard, but this was a cool set I was theorymonning for Krookodile. The concept was that I wanted Pursuit support and I didn't need Stealth Rock, so I thought it could be cool to bluff a Choice Band or maybe even scarf and lure in Heracross for the easy OHKO (I was planning on running balanced that didn't rely on this completely to deal with Hera, but also didn't like giving it free turns). It does 102% minimum to 0/4 Heracross, so thats pretty cool. I didn't end up using this because I went a different direction with the team I used against DUnk, but this set seemed cool to me at the time \o/.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Cross Poison

I created this set when I was helping my team test for UU matches. At first glance it might seem like a terrible set used by ladder scrubs, but it can be quite effective, grabbing surprise kills on the likes of Scarf Hydreigon and Mienshao. Defog is there to act as an emergency "OH NO!" button in case things get out of hand.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Didn't really use anything too innovative but I thought I'd share one set that I found really potent for tournament matches

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Roar

This set was a brilliant partner for Mega Aerodactyl, who hates other Water-types. With Substitute, Calm Mind, and Roar, it pulls off an early-game countersweep against opposing Water-types like Suicune and Slowking, while punishing people with a decently fast Roar, which helps if their Suicune check is a phazer like Empoleon or Swampert. I paired Roar with Spikes Forretress to rack up damage. Forry checks Grass-types like Shaymin and Chesnaught and functions as a back-up Mega Aerodactyl check, since this set lacks recovery. Probably would have to tweak the set or use slightly different teammates as Feraligatr is now in the tier, but overall, a nice twist on the typical Suicune set that is capable of breaking down defensive cores single handedly while still checking many offensive threats.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb

I used a version of this against my final match with bugzy, but since then I've improved the set by removing Giga Drain and adding Stun Spore for dual utility. This is done for a variety of reasons, namely: (1) people automatically assume that Amoonguss carries Giga Drain, hence playing around that move, giving you more Stun Spore opportunities on would-be counters such as Crobat ; (2) Amoonguss's best utility is in its anti-setup value with usable defense and Foul Play, letting it beat Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Salamence in a one on one situations. Pair this baby up with an offensive or defensive pivot (luring a DD in the process from the Mence), and just destroy it with Foul Play.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Cross Poison

I created this set when I was helping my team test for UU matches. At first glance it might seem like a terrible set used by ladder scrubs, but it can be quite effective, grabbing surprise kills on the likes of Scarf Hydreigon and Mienshao. Defog is there to act as an emergency "OH NO!" button in case things get out of hand.
You hear that everyone? He created the set during SPL :) qt

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
almost forgot about this one haha

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Adamant Nature
-Protect
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Swords Dance

The set that pretty much saved my ass during week 4. My thought was that the coverage for Beedrill doesn't really matter too much, so why not try SD? The idea was to smack your switchin harder with U-turn (+2 U-turn did like 30% to Mega-Aggron, which is a significant amount) so you're going to need teammates that can take on Nidoqueen, Crobat, etc. It also happens to work really well against Suicunes without Sleep Talk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)