[PokéStar Studios] Labyrinth (akela | Maxim | Rainman Legends) - Pledge Forest [Done want Feedback]

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ROUND NINETEEN

Item: Pinsirite | HP/EN: 91 / 91 | Stats: 5/4/1/4/85 3/4/20 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 82 / 74 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/120 4/5/27 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 73 / 80 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/69 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva

akela has 1× Leaf Stone, 1× Rage Candy Bar in possession

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 0: Entrance
ROOM 1: Forest Floor [akela, Maxim, Rainman Legends]
ROOM 2: Deep Pledge Forest [Stantler, Teddiursa, Teddiursa]
ROOM 3: Treasure Grove
ROOM 4: Berry Orchard [Munchlax, Zigzagoon]
ROOM ?: ???

--------------------

The Dragonite and the Salamence help akela into the air and use Fly to get both onto the high ledge. While Rainman Legends shouts some rude words over not getting his Pokémon to lift him onto the ledge, everyone else walks through the door... except the Dragonite who is visibly confused as to where his trainer was.

Meanwhile, akela and Maxim enter a dead-end room of the forest so high up that it nearly reaches the canopy of the forest. The room is circular with one-metre tall shrub surrounding the place and a low ceiling due to the room being close to the canopy. There is a branch that is made of gold in the middle of the room. Could it be the key to the mysteries surrounding the forest? Maebure hears a very slight stir.

Will the explorers actually help get their comrade to come to this new area or will he have to do it himself?
ACTIONS

Bahamut flew Maebure to the air to the western high ledge!
> > >i-6 EN

Bahamut flew akela to the air to the western high ledge!
> > >-6 EN

akela and Maxim moved to Room 6!
Rainman Legends walks into a wall >_>

--------------------

Item: Pinsirite | HP/EN: 91 / 91 | Stats: 5/4/1/4/85 3/4/20 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 82 / 68 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/120 4/5/27 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 73 / 74 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/69 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 1: Forest Floor [A depressed Rainman Legends who was not carried into the air]
ROOM 5: ???
ROOM 6: Canopy Grotto [akela, Maxim]

"Eh, aren't you forgetting something?"

"No I---where's Rainman Legends?"

"That would be what I'm asking."

"Oh bother...well he has a Dragonite so he should be able to get up here eventually. In the meantime, let's wait for Rainman Legends and then we'll inspect the branch."

Chill~Idle for RL to arrive~Inspect golden branch, flying if needed. See if it can be pulled or whatnot but don't actually do it.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
ROUND TWENTY

Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 82 / 68 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/120 4/5/27 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 73 / 74 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/69 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 1: Forest Floor [Rainman Legends]
ROOM 6: Canopy Grotto [akela, Maxim]

--------------------

Realising their teammate was left behind, akela and Maxim wait for Rainman Legends to catch up... Which he did.

And yes that brach is gettable alright and you do not even have to fly! :o
ACTIONS

Bahamut flew Rainman Legends to the air to the western high ledge!
> > >-6 EN

Bahamut chilled out!
> > >i+12 EN (Bahamut)

Rainman Legends moved to Room 6!

--------------------

Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 82 / 80 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/120 4/5/27 | Chills: 12 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 73 / 68 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/69 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 1: Forest Floor
ROOM 6: Canopy Grotto [akela, Maxim, Rainman Legends]

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
ROUND TWENTY ONE

Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 82 / 80 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/120 4/5/27 | Chills: 12 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 73 / 68 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/69 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 6: Canopy Grotto [akela, Maxim, Rainman Legends]

--------------------

Curious as usual, Maxim goes ahead and takes the Golden Branch while his teammates stand guard. Of course something happens and indeed it does. A Servine and a Dewott jump out and before anyone else could do anything, the two Pokémon combined their attacks to plunge the whole team into a mini-swamp that slows down the team! There is at least a back door you can take to run away but good luck when you are slower than molasses!

Oh, and the Servine's Contrary is on. Also the two await your actions. Remember they have full movepools.

ARENA DETAILS
-Type: Forest.
-Grass Pledge, Fire Pledge, and Water Pledge hit up to three targets in this room.
ACTIONS

Maxim obtained 1× Golden Branch!
Here comes the ambush...

Dewott used Water Pledge!

Servine used Grass Pledge!
> > >It is a combo!
> > >(Crit Roll {Maebure} [<=625]: 4776/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 3549/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 4230/10000; No)
> > >((15 + 3 - 1.5) ÷ 1.5 + 4) = 15 DMG (Maebure)
> > >((15 + 3) ÷ 2.25 + 4) = 12 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >((15 + 3 - 1.5) ÷ 2.25 + 4) = 11.333 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >Grass/Water Pledge (6a) (akela, Maxim, Rainman Legends)
> > >-(6 - 1) = 5 EN (Servine, Dewott)

No one else could act in surprise... Good job Maxim

--------------------

Grass/Water Pledge (6a)
Item: Pinsirite | HP/EN: 76 / 91 | Stats: 5/4/1/4/43 3/4/20 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 70 / 80 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/60 4/5/27 | Chills: 12 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 62 / 68 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/34 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva
---
Item: Miracle Seed | HP/EN: 135 / 295 | Stats: 3/4/3/4/96 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +16% Acc / N/A
Item: Mystic Water | HP/EN: 150 / 295 | Stats: 4/3/4/3/69 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +8% Acc / N/A

Maxim has 1× Golden Branch in possession

ROOM STATUS
ROOM 6: Canopy Grotto [akela, Maxim, Rainman Legends, Dewott, Servine]

ok, lets not panic...yet. Lets take out the Dewott first because blizzards are not going to sit well against us

Thunder Punch (Dewott)-->Shock Wave (Dewott)
If Damaging Ice Type Move is used and you have not used Protect the previous action, Use Protect and push actions back, Do not trigger this sub consecutively
If Dewott is under the effects of a P/E move, Use Aerial Ace (Servine) first instance and Air Cutter Second, pushing actions back each time
If Dewott is under the effects of a D/E move, Use Aerial Ace (Servine) first instance and Air Cutter Second, pushing actions back each time

if you guys want me to change orders, shoot me a pm or state so in your orders

"Ah yes, this probably fits into that---"

*team gets covered in a swamp*

"...Oh. What he heck you two you were supposed to be on guard! For the love of *rants for two more minutes*"

"That was totally your fault you know. Not that I'm complaining, finally some actual competition!"

Draco Meteor (Dewott)~Double-Edge (Dewott)
If Dewott is under a successful P/E move, then redirect to Servine.
If Encore when you are to use Draco Meteor, then use Double-Edge that action.

(At IAR: I think I chilled once on Round 20, can you fix?)

X-Scissor (Dewott) > Stone Edge (Dewott)

If Dewott is under the effects of a Protective/Evasive Maneuver, THEN Feint (Dewott) and push actions back
IF Dewott uses Dig, THEN Earthquake and push actions back
IF Targeted with a Damaging Flying-Type Attack, THEN Protect the first time and Quick Attack (Dewott) the second time

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
ROUND TWENTY TWO

Grass/Water Pledge (6a)
Item: Pinsirite | HP/EN: 76 / 91 | Stats: 5/4/1/4/43 3/4/20 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 70 / 80 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/60 4/5/27 | Chills: 12 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 62 / 68 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/34 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva
---
Item: Miracle Seed | HP/EN: 135 / 295 | Stats: 3/4/3/4/96 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +16% Acc / N/A
Item: Mystic Water | HP/EN: 150 / 295 | Stats: 4/3/4/3/69 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +8% Acc / N/A

ROOM STATUS

--------------------

Just as anecdote, opponents will not use Hidden Power or combinations, the latter due to being very cheap for me to abuse.

Servine: Leaf Storm (Maebure) > Twister

Dewott: Blizzard > Blizzard

The Bahamut parrys for an incoming storm as the Servine whacks the Pinsir with the power of leaves. The Dewott then unleashes an ice storm that the Dragonite blocks and the Pinsir dodges but the Salamence is struck by the attack. The Salamence and the Pinsir then fight back by striking the Dewott. The duo does not let up attacking with a twister followed by an ice storm that batters the three explorers before all three of the protagonists hammer the Dewott with a series of blows. The Dewott looks a bit battered but far from beaten unlike the three explorers. Maxim's Salamence in particular appears to be on his last legs.

How will the protagonists respond?

perhaps i gave these two too much hp :|
ACTIONS

Combat

Intimidate: -1 Atk (Servine, Dewott, P)

A1

Bahamut used Protect!
> > >Protect (1a), -7 EN (Bahamut)

Servine used Leaf Storm (Maebure)!
> > >(Crit Roll [<=625]: 5700/10000; No)
> > >((13 + 3 - 1.5) ÷ 1.5 + 4) = 13.667 DMG (Maebure)
> > >-(9 - 1) = 8 EN, +2 SpA (Servine)

Dewott used Blizzard!
> > >(Hit Roll {Maebure} [<=7800]: 9722/10000; No)
> > >(Hit Roll {Bahamut} [<=7800]: 4637/10000; Yes)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 6739/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {FRZ, Bahamut} [<=1000]: 3903/10000; No)
> > >Missed (Maebure)
> > >((8.25 + 1.5) × 2.25) = 21.9375 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >Blocked, -((8.25 × 2.25) ÷ 2.5) = 7.425 EN (Bahamut)
> > >-8 EN (Dewott)

Bahamut used Draco Meteor (Dewott)!
> > >i(Hit Roll [<=9000]: 6537/10000; Yes)
> > >i(13 + 3 + 3) = 19 DMG (Dewott)
> > >i-(10 - 1) = 9 EN, -2 SpA (Bahamut)

Maebure used X-Scissor (Dewott)!
> > >(Crit Roll [<=625]: 1937/10000; No)
> > >(8 + 3 + 3) = 14 DMG (Dewott)
> > >-(6 - 1) = 5 EN (Maebure)

A2

Servine used Twister!
> > >(Crit Roll {Maebure} [<=625]: 902/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 9044/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 9808/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {Flinch, Maebure} [<=2000]: 8602/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {Flinch, Bahamut} [<=2000]: 2025/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {Flinch, Bahamut} [<=2000]: 3287/10000; No)
> > >(3 - 1.5 + 4) = 5.5 DMG (Maebure)
> > >(3 × 1.5 + 4) = 8.5 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >((3 - 1.5) × 1.5 + 4) = 6.25 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >-3 EN (Servine)

Dewott used Blizzard!
> > >(Hit Roll {Maebure} [<=7800]: 1811/10000; Yes)
> > >(Hit Roll {Bahamut} [<=7800]: 1220/10000; Yes)
> > >(Hit Roll {Bahamut} [<=8800]: 5767/10000; Yes)
> > >(Crit Roll {Maebure} [<=625]: 2363/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 3578/10000; No)
> > >(Crit Roll {Bahamut} [<=625]: 3293/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {FRZ, Maebure} [<=1000]: 9717/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {FRZ, Bahamut} [<=1000]: 4128/10000; No)
> > >(Effect Roll {FRZ, Bahamut} [<=1000]: 8149/10000; No)
> > >(8.25) = 8.25 DMG (Maebure)
> > >((8.25 + 1.5) × 2.25) = 21.9375 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >(8.25 × 2.25) = 18.5625 DMG (Bahamut)
> > >-(8 + 4) = 12 EN (Dewott)

Bahamut used Double-Edge (Dewott)!
> > >i(16 + 3 + 5.5) = 24.5 DMG (Dewott)
> > >i-(6 + (5 ÷ 2.5) - 1) = 7 EN, -(24.5 ÷ 3) = 8.167 HP (Bahamut)

Maebure used Stone Edge (Dewott)!
> > >(Hit Roll [<=8000]: 2892/10000; Yes)
> > >(Crit Roll [<=1250]: 5411/10000; No)
> > >(10 + 3) = 13 DMG (Dewott)
> > >-7 EN (Maebure)

Bahamut used Thunder Punch (Dewott)!
> > >(Effect Roll {PAR} [<=1000]: 1399/10000; No)
> > >((10 + 3) × 1.5) = 19.5 DMG (Dewott)
> > >-6 EN (Bahamut)

-1 SpA

+1 SpA

--------------------

Grass/Water Pledge (4a)
Item: Pinsirite | HP/EN: 50 / 79 | Stats: 5/4/1/4/43 3/4/20 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / N/A
Item: Salamencite | HP/EN: 9 / 64 | Stats: 7/4/5/3/60 4/5/27 | Chills: 12 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -1 SpA (P0)
Item: Expert Belt | HP/EN: 37 / 54 | Stats: 5/3/5/4/34 4/6/22 | Chills: 13 | Buffs/De-Buffs: N/A / -10% Eva
---
Item: Miracle Seed | HP/EN: 135 / 284 | Stats: 3/4/3/4/96 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +16% Acc, +1 SpA (P0) / -1 Atk (P-1)
Item: Mystic Water | HP/EN: 60 / 275 | Stats: 4/3/4/3/69 2/2 | Buffs/De-Buffs: +8% Acc / -1 Atk (P-1)

ROOM STATUS

"O_O. When did this place start kicking my butt?! Screw this, even if we manage to beat these two the boss is going to murder us. I'm out of here. Bahamut, fly us out of here, I'll leave the Golden Branch here for the next batch of idiots coming into here."

Forefit

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Realising they have no hope of winning, the squad raises the white flag and surrenders. The three run away back to civilisation to report on their failure. Something tells me that the guy with the Salamence never made it back. I wonder why this is the case?

And thus concludes the first Poké Star event that actually took off, a story of how Maxim lost the respect of fellow ASBers outside of dogfish with his Leeroy tactics screwing the three over.

PRIZES (Giving counters for all battles bar the one you forfeited)

AKELA
12 CC
Pinsir
: N/A

MAXIM
1 CC
Salamence
: 3 MC

RAINMAN LEGENDS
18 CC
Dragonite
: 6 KOC

ITS_A_RANDOM
22 Rounds, 5 of which are combat so...
(17 + (5 × 2)) = 17 + 10 = 27 UC

===

Well that is it. I would like some feedback and if people want, I could supply the sheet for the data. Yeah. What did you guys think? What could be improved? Anything else?

It is really interesting Its_A_Random,

Although, those two caught everyone in ASB by surprise. A bit much of HP for Guardians I guess (May be x1.3 would be decent?), other than that it was very interesting to me as an audience. <3

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reading back on encounters and battles, Lou provided design notes on encounters:
Triggering and avoiding Encounters
One of the most important skills a player can hone in the Labyrinth is picking and choosing which fights to avoid and which ones to meet head-on. As a Keeper, it's important to give cues as to the strength of a given cluster of Pokémon, or the deviousness of a hallway, or the peril of a rickety bridge.

There's no need to be overt - don't reveal the nature of a Metang as a Midboss, for instance, or state that the rustling in the grass is an Arbok in wait. Simply stating that a Metang is present or that the grass is rustling is enough. Smart players might try to bypass the Metang, or attempt to detect scent or aura from the grass. Foolish players will simply plow on through, and perhaps pay for it.

Often, Midbosses are more difficult to anger than their Lackey counterparts. This has both flavor and gameplay applications - as leaders of their packs or exemplary members of their species, Midbosses often have a keener wit and more refined sense of restraint than others of their kind. At the same time, it should be harder for Explorers to accidentally call down the wrath of a delve-ending Midboss upon themselves.

Talking to the Monsters - Noncombat Encounters

Not every NPC Pokémon wants you for breakfast - a lot of the common denizens are just wild Pokémon minding their own business. Never underestimate the value of fear and kindness: scaring the daylights out of a foe and making friends with a foe are both victories on the same order as a battle KO. They're even worth the same counters! When choosing your approach to an encounter, consider the disposition of the other party. Herbivores, such as Miltank or Bouffalant, often won't bat an eye as you walk serenely passed them. Others, such as Arbok and other predators, may require a show of intimidation or power (and maybe a little roughing-up) to convince them to pick a different fight. Particularly territorial Pokémon such as Tyranitar and Aggron will look favorably on shows of submission, such as gifts.

Sometimes, even Pokémon will fight to the last. Pokémon that are already wounded, are protecting their lairs or young, or are in the height of their courtship season are extremely dangerous and should be avoided entirely if you're trying to avoid a fight. Some particularly malicious species, such as Nuzleaf or Haunter, will try to harass your party simply for the fun of it. Beware of craftier types, such as Liepard or other Dark-types, as they may feign defeat or cowardice only long enough to attack at advantage. On the other side of the coin, noble or benevolent Pokémon such as Gallade, Lucario, or Chansey might dispense aid to those they feel are in need of it.
So maybe all encounters could be given a "backdoor" of sorts - scoring a victory through non-battling means. That said, the backdoor probably shouldn't be extremely obvious, but with some hints dropped in the flavour prose (something like the Dewott and Servine only targetting Maxim's Mence because he's holding the Golden Branch, IMHO) may help the progress further.

Also I'm a flavour addict so moar flavour plz

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
For the record (I mentioned this in #capasb as well) the Dewott / Servine duo was meant to be more of a puzzle boss. The idea was that you attacked the bushes–which they were hinted to that there could be Pokémon inside ("Maebure hears a very slight stir.")—to lure them out and then run away right away (which they could). This meant that they would start chasing you but they were one room behind so to speak.

The two also could not use the vines to cross over rooms so the players would be able to get to Room 5 without difficulties and they would head to Room 1. By the time you head back, the two will take the route they know will get them to Room 5 through Room 2 through jumping off the ledge and luring them away from their pledge benefits. This then allows you to take the Branch without worries while the bosses are back in Room 2 or Room 5 if you set off the object blocking Room 4 and 5. The idea was to then wait a turn so as to not run into them before heading to Room 2 then using the branch. Not breaking the object meant that you could encounter the duo but you could then as a three go through the passage without having to fight the duo and go deeper in.

Of course, Maxim had to take such an obvious bait.

===

Given it was a first time doing something like this I did not think much about "backdoor" victories. I did give one in the case of Munchlax if you angered it by taking a berry by leaving alone the berries or giving it one, i.e. helping it with its feed. One thing that never came up again since they never entered the orchard after the first time was Munchlax chewing through the berry trees while they were off exploring.

Of course these are all things to think about the next time I do a PokéStar RP (though it will probably not be a lab since things).

That said some of you should come up with something to host through PokéStar Studios. One of the main reasons I did this other than to get a completed lab was to get the ball rolling with that service and inspire others to do something of their own. Of course, that has not happened which is a shame... :|

What, all of that and I get a CC and 3 MC? Man...

I was really just trying to avoid waiting around for 5 rounds trying to decide what to do. Instead I end up falling for an obvious trap and killing everyone. Because obviously a trap should be able to kill you in two rounds. :/

As for the roleplay, I would say it was actually pretty good from an objective standpoint. It seems like it went on for a long time though, 20+ rounds and you barely get more UC for that. Not to mention it has TLR tricks that I really don't like. Overall though, the concept seems good though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)