VGC M-Gallade steps into the ring!

Hey everyone hows it going? Anywho gallades always been one of my favorite pokemon and when i saw he had a mega i instantly wanted to build a team structured around him. I know the team is kinda klunky but i would really appreciate any and all advice from you guys, i really want to make a great team and have fun. Thanks in advance and heres the team:

@ Galladite
Ability: Justified/Inner Focus
Evs: 4HP/252ATK/252 SPE
Jolly nature

-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Protect

Ev spread is to help maximize attack and speed coupled with jolly nature to outspeed most of the meta for which he's meant to take out. Close combat for some serious damage and 1 shot on khangaskhan, Ice punch to have some other way of taking out threats such as mega mence and lando besides the mamo in the team and psycho cut for another STAB with a crit hacks, prefer that over zen headbutt, it might have less power but it has better accuracy which is always prefered.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adament
Ability: Defiant
Evs: 252 attk/252 speed/4 def
-knock off
-Sucker Punch
-Protect
-Iron Head

Been playing around with this new guy, recently replaced aegislash with him and its been working a tad better although ill say i kinda miss the wide gaurd. Had knock off on gallade but as bisharp is now in the play there's not much need for that, so knock off and sucker punch here are pretty much staple and strong stabs to take out most of the competition. Iron head to deal with sylveons and such.

-wash @ sitrus berry
Ability: levitate
Evs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro pump
-protect
-willowisp
Also a standish rotom set, really want to use him as a modest nature, but im not too sure about his ev spread. The current ev spread trys to give him some bulk, while still maintaining the ability to 1 shot the ever present landorus with a nasty hydro pump. If anyone knows a better one let me know please. Used to have a calm rotom spread before that would survive charizard Y solarbeams and the like but i feel like a modest approach is better in the current meta due to the increase in lando's and talonflames running around as well as camerupts. 60 sp attack allows for a 100-120% chance to OHKO a lando. Moves are the usual, decided thunderbolt over volt switch here. Could use some input on the spread. Ty

talonflame @ life orb
Ability: Gale winds
Evs: 252 attk/252 speed/4 hp
Adament Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Taunt
-Protect

Went for talonflame as my 4th move slot to help with some flying and fire coverage. Max speed evs to tie with the other talons roaming around. Brave bird and flare blitz are pretty staple, added taunt as a countermeasure to trick room teams and the super annoying smeargle, also have tailwind there as im quite unsure which one to really use. Also decided life orb over choice band, used to run choice band before but ive found life orb to be more manageble especially with move slot options.

@ Scarfed
Ability: Thick Fat
Evs: 252 speed/252 attack/4hp
Jolly Nature
-Superpower ( was ice shard)
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-icicle crash

Decided on mamoswine because my team has no other ice coverage, besides the ice punch on gallade, and gallade cant really outspeed a mega mence, they're usually ev'd in speed so thats where mamo comes in . Ice shard for a good strong STAB finisher, also been trying him with icicle crash and with the scarf its working pretty good, not sure which to opt for or to just simply leave both, which i think would work slightly better. Opted for max attack and speed evs since he has a scarf anyways,Rock slide and earthquake for extra coverage on chrizard Y and talonflame as well as lando.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Relaxed
Evs: 244HP/140 Defense/124 Special Defense
Ability: Regenerator
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

I had Ludicolo here as a defensive wall vs rain teams but thanks to the suggestion of a fellow player below, decided to go with this amoonguss. Moves are standard staple moves in the vgc area. Evs are to specifically survive Mega mence Double edge, talon flame brave birds and Mega Gardevoir psyshocks among a few others.
------Replaced Mons----------------------------------------
Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 148 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
– Scald
– Giga Drain
– Ice Beam
– Fake Out

This slot is pretty much meh, use him sometimes but not sure if he really fits in here. Any advice for a replacement or something highly appreciated!

Well thats the team! Tryed to cover as many of their weaknesses and resistances using magma team builder and pokemon showdown for move coverage. Would really really appreciate any and all feedback to help improve. Any and all criticism is welcome and no doubt helpful! Thanks in advance guys and have a good day

Last edited:
I'd give your team a 7/10. Ludicolo isn't such a great rain counter anymore, I'd try something that can beat rain and still be playable outside of it, like Amoonguss or specially defensive Suicune with Tailwind.
Also, Taunt over Tailwind on Talonflame, as your team already outspeeds what you need it to, so there is no reason to run tailwind on a mon that would die after it.
Ice Shard on a scarfed mon is really unnecessary, I'd recommend Knock Off for information/deprivation of items, Icicle Spear for breaking sashes, Iron Head to kill fairies, or Superpower if you didn't bring Gallade for some reason or another. You don't ohko anything you need to with Ice Shard (eg. Mence, Landorus-T, because of intimidate.) so you might as well add some coverage.
Just a reminder, you forgot a nature for Bisharp, but that's probably just a typo lol.
Overall, Bisharp + Gallade is more of an OU core, but it's a great core nonetheless, and I'll bet you will really enjoy playing with it.
Just some usage tips, always bring Rotom-Wash when you see a Landorus-T if you don't want to lead with your counter, and Mamoswine if you do want to lead against Landorus. Your team is pretty Thundurus-I weak, and Mamoswine does not always ohko it's standard set without the adamant nature, not saying you should overrun jolly, I'm just saying that you'll need some extra chip damage to finish it, so maybe a Tyranitar or maybe a spread move user such as Heatran to finish the job if you do not win the damage roll coin flip. I probably have more to say, but atm I'm to tired to finish. Just edit the changes I recommend to your liking and you'll probably be fine.

I'd give your team a 7/10. Ludicolo isn't such a great rain counter anymore, I'd try something that can beat rain and still be playable outside of it, like Amoonguss or specially defensive Suicune with Tailwind.
Also, Taunt over Tailwind on Talonflame, as your team already outspeeds what you need it to, so there is no reason to run tailwind on a mon that would die after it.
Ice Shard on a scarfed mon is really unnecessary, I'd recommend Knock Off for information/deprivation of items, Icicle Spear for breaking sashes, Iron Head to kill fairies, or Superpower if you didn't bring Gallade for some reason or another. You don't ohko anything you need to with Ice Shard (eg. Mence, Landorus-T, because of intimidate.) so you might as well add some coverage.
Just a reminder, you forgot a nature for Bisharp, but that's probably just a typo lol.
Overall, Bisharp + Gallade is more of an OU core, but it's a great core nonetheless, and I'll bet you will really enjoy playing with it.
Just some usage tips, always bring Rotom-Wash when you see a Landorus-T if you don't want to lead with your counter, and Mamoswine if you do want to lead against Landorus. Your team is pretty Thundurus-I weak, and Mamoswine does not always ohko it's standard set without the adamant nature, not saying you should overrun jolly, I'm just saying that you'll need some extra chip damage to finish it, so maybe a Tyranitar or maybe a spread move user such as Heatran to finish the job if you do not win the damage roll coin flip. I probably have more to say, but atm I'm to tired to finish. Just edit the changes I recommend to your liking and you'll probably be fine.
I actually have an ev'd Calm regenerator amoonguss that'd be perfect then to replace ludiculo so serve as a decent rain counter then if you think its fine. Heres the set i run atm with him:
had gotten this set back from eggporium awhile back and its been pretty awesome. Also made the other recommended changes such as the taunt on talon and superpower on mamo and theres plenty of the other coverage around.
Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Thanks for the rate, and thanks for the usage tips, ill def remember that when battling :D

Couldnt find a decent set so suit amoonguss to survive Mega Gardevoir's Psyshock, so i have a new set which survives most attacks such as that one in particular.
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Relaxed
Evs: 244HP/140 Defense/124 Special Defense
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Survives the psyshock among talonflame bravebirds and politoad ice beams.

If theres anything else you feel would help out at all please let me know!

Nah, just play around with it and see if you like it. Also, how does that survive a brave bird?
Yeah im just going to keep playing around with his ev set and such until i find one that defends the psyshock and maybe a little more.
LOL good thing you mentioned it, i went back and rechecked on calculator and the thing is i forgot to set the level for amoonguss to 50, so it was at 100. My bad, had'nt noticed lol

Thx :D

I know it's a tad late, sorry for posting again here. Just that I've been playing with the team quite a bit , and I've found that my teams a bit weak to charizard Y or just fire in general.
Any ideas how I can remidate this?
Thanks in advance!

You could replace Bisharp for Heatran and use something else in the Talonflame slot (like Mega Mence, just an idea!) or replace Rotom-W and Talonlame for Suicune+Rotom-H, but I personally like the first idea more

Last edited:
You could replace Bisharp for Heatran and use something else in the Talonflame slot (like Mega Mence, just an idea!) or replace Rotom-W and Talonlame for Suicune+Rotom-H, but I personally like the first idea more
I like the idea of having heatran in the team, as he'll help wall fire types but as for mega mence not too sure about that, ive tried to balance the team around having M gallade as my mega. I had bisharp here for the intimidate defense as my team is a tad on the intimidate weak. I think heatran would mitigate that.
Not sure who else might be decent in talonflames spot besides the mence, any ideas?

Thank you btw :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)