Post-SPL Doubles Set Thread

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Protect

This was originally on a Charizard-y Semi Room team. I was just kind fucking around with random ass mons and noticed that Torterra got wide guard. The idea was obviously to protect zard-y with Wide Guard while also being able to deal a lot of damage with TR up. I decided against using it tho, the team was super weak to ice.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Protect

Typically, I hate this dog. I think it's really weak and often outclassed by other Legendary Electric-types. But for some reason it fit my hail team. Makiri and myself were taking a look at my team the day before my game attempting to find a last mon and he suggested something that could deal with flying-types, so Raikou came up, Sub Protect Raikou specifically. Turned out to be a really good mon in my opinion and one that pretty much won me that game.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

The other half of the infamous Hail team core. Darkrai in doubles, is something that's underused. No one looks at it as a special attacker even tho it's really fucking good at what it does. Turns out it also has access to Blizzard so it can make for a dangerous Blizzard Spammer. Focus Blast and Dark Pulse give it alternative attacking moves while protect is obvious.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Tail
- Protect

Rhydon is another mon I used on Sun Semi Room, this mon is a little more depended on it's bulk than the surprise that Torterra brings. Trick Room being up is kinda crucial for Rhydon tho, but when you can get Rhydon under the right circumstances it becomes very threatening. Iron Tail was added on to this set to help patch a weakness my team had to Diancie, even at +2 Def Daincie takes like 70% from Iron Tail so that's the reason behind that. The more obvious choice would be to use Rhyperior but Rhydon is overall more bulky.

and last for now we have

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The infamous Protect Specs Torn. The idea behind this set was me knowing that TFC would be likely to bring heavy offence. Torn would be faster than most of his team and be able to spam specs Hurricane in the Rain for as long as it wanted to. The only move I really needed on the set was Hurricane, Air Slash and Hidden Power ice were added for extreme circumstances, and protect, protect was just a filler because i had a brain fart and completely forgot that it could have been any, and i mean literally any support move torn got. Turns out it worked out in my favour tho, as tfc ended up knocking off my specs and I was able to successfully use protect B)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
0-2 comin thru

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard

Needed something that could OHKO Aegislash on my week 1 team and wanted a bit of extra protection for a Diancie/Latios sweep. Obviously this didn't pan out but Ape is a seriously cool Pokemon. It can do a bunch of things at once, but it's best not to rely on it to do all of them (it'll die too fast).

The following two sets come from a really bulky Rain team I built and originally intended to use Week 1 but didn't really like. tape has the full team if you're curious.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 152 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

I honestly don't remember what hits this was supposed to take or what it was supposed to outspeed, but WoW Gardevoir seemed like a cool answer to things that would normally want to Sucker Punch it, like Kangaskhan.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 132 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Bulky Landorus-T is amazing and more people should use it. These EVs take two -1 Kang Returns with Leftovers (and maybe a single turn of Protect? don't remember) and it doesn't get 2HKOd by LO Talonflame like Scarf Lando-T, which is kind of a shitty answer to burd if you think about it.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 236 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

shoutout to Sekiam for the idea of fast TW Aegislash. Outruns up to max+ 111 in Tailwind. Wide Guard WP is solid as shit right now too. HP and SpA EVs are random tbh

Only played once but I'll dump some stuff

annica (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Heat Wave
- Draco Meteor / Tailwind / Earthquake
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

since mizuhime likes a lot of weather teams i brought p much the only cloud nine user (though it doesn't stay cloud nine for too long but still). It also just is generally strong and deals out strong hits while also boasting some good resists. Fire Blast ohkos a lot of grass types (non Mega Venu, Ferro, does a good deal to Amoonguss). Draco is a strong single target hit when I'm not spamming Hyper voice, probably the most expandable move slot with tailwind or some shit. rest of shit is standard

HyunA (Sableye) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 32 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Quash
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt (Depends on what you need)
- Knock Off

Lol this set. provides immense support for a poke that wants to continuously dish out damage because of Fake Out and Quash. Quash is basically jesus. As displayed in my battle it ignores trick room and still will make the poke move last. I also tried it out on a TR team and it basically is a guaranteed trick room set up if you know your poke is gonna die before it can move. There are some other cool interactions that i can't remember off the top of my head. Will-o-Wisp vs Taunt is personal preference and depends on the rest of your team/Who you're playing against. Knock off just so I'm not a complete potato damage wise, also just knocks off scarfs and shit. Random EVs can run either Defensive or SPDef, again depending on your team.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Sunny Day
- Protect

amazing sun support, deals with tran and switches nicely into burds.

sid (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Ally Switch is good, Gardevoir sometimes is good.

Milotic @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 160 HP / 112 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Haze
- Scald

Basically the perfect Kanga partner, it does work.

Sylveon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Didn't get the chance to use this but it's a hot Cube counter.

bro fist (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 184 HP / 216 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

nice TW setter, nothing really spectacular outside of that.

casedVICTORY (Rhyperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 32 HP / 232 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Stone Edge

Not an innovative set but you normally see it on TR, tho it's an incredible mon to have on HO since opposing Thundy suddenly becomes useless. Hits like a truck and takes some hits aswel.

Hack (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 60 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Mirror Coat

Mirror Coat Cune helps getting rid of Thundy, M-Venu and Rotom-W (and obv some more stuff) and is, imo, the better option than Protect or Snarl since it lets Cune actually dish out some damage and do something outside of TWing and fishing for Scald burns.

Credits to Pwnemon for the first two Sets! Will reveal some more stuff after seasonals.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Protect

Typically, I hate this dog. I think it's really weak and often outclassed by other Legendary Electric-types. But for some reason it fit my hail team. Makiri and myself were taking a look at my team the day before my game attempting to find a last mon and he suggested something that could deal with flying-types, so Raikou came up, Sub Protect Raikou specifically. Turned out to be a really good mon in my opinion and one that pretty much won me that game.
I like your sets and teams in general (though lol torterra). Just offering what I think to be a slight improvement:
Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 36 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Protect

Moves some largely nonessential speed (Raikou really only needs to outrun 110s and max Adamant Talonflame) and a few points in SpAtk in order to have this nifty little benefit
0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 16 HP / 36 SpD Raikou: 67-81 (20.6 - 24.9%)

B)

EDIT: Also Mirror Coat Suicune is legit

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

our demons (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Protect

fuck mega diancie (my team was really weak to it)
you mega evolve and trap it and help your team out a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)