ORAS NU Bulky Offense ft. Relicanth and Bouffalant

Introduction

This team in particular has served me very well... it looks incredibly standard at first aside from the Relicanth, but there's much more to it than meets the eye. Good synergy, some innovative sets and clever predictions are the key to this teams strength. So without further ado, let's see it!

The Team

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Here is the star player, the one you've all been waiting for... But really, it's not often that you find something that is really fun to use and more than just a gimmick. The key to playing Relicanth is being really aggressive. If you know for a fact that your opponent is going to switch to a certain mon, and that mon gets whacked by CB Head Smash, then double to Relicanth. Don't miss out on any opportunities. Relicanth has really good bulk so don't be afraid to tank a hit either. Aside from that, the set is self-explanatory. You'll be clicking Head Smash 90% of the time, but Zen Headbutt is there if you feel Gurdurr is coming. Also OHKO's Sawk after SR which is quite relevant.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

What does Relicanth not like? Grass-moves! What does Bouffalant love? Exactly. Simple concept but it works very well in practice. You can even be bold and stay in with Relicanth on stuff like Lilligant because you know they're going to double switch. Which is what you should do with this team, make bold moves they can't predict and that you can capitalize heavily on. This set is also pretty cool, I skipped out on Head Charge because EdgeQuake simply gets much better coverage, you don't have to deal with Mismagius/Rotom etc. You have really bulky Subs too, if they can't break it in one hit they're usually going to lose at least two mons. Bouffalant is just that bulky and strong. Love it.

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder

A bit more of a standard set here but I'm a really big fan of Vileplume. Many times have I forced opponents to forfeit because I made them sack the only things they had to kill a Vileplume. It's an incredible wall, incredibly versatile and really strong on top of that. Sleep Powder is really important, it's essentially a free kill in a way. I don't get why people don't use it on every team, but oh well. Watch out for Magmortar with Vital Spirit though, just Sludge Bomb because they will switch it in. But this is my main physical wall, also covers Grass-types once again for Relicanth.

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

My late game cleaner, essentially. It's also really fast, even with Modest. I just like the extra damage, very rarely will you regret not having Timid. I like Pyroar because it has a nice secondary STAB move unlike Typhlosion, and it's just a really fast mon which is always good to have. Relicanth can weaken stuff like Hariyama and Seismitoad so this guy can sweep. Not much else to say about it, except that I have Toxic to play around Sucker Punch from Sash Cacturne. You'll bring it down with something else and then finish it of with Pyroar, works pretty well.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Imprison
- Psychic

Uxie is imo the best mon in NU right now. So many different sets it can run and its stats, typing and ability are godlike. Anyways, I wanted Stealth Rock because this team is good at forcing switches. And you always want SR on any team, of course. Then I have this cool set with Knock Off and Imprison because yes a Knock Off counter exists! Uxie is just a magnet for the move so it's really nice to have Imprison to block it. It also blocks Stealth Rock which nobody sees coming and it gives you a huge advantage turn one usually. Uxie is also my main Gurdurr counter, as there is enough pressure on Vileplume already.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Another fun set to close things off. Offensive Seismitoad is one thing, physically offensive Toad is another thing. Nobody expects Toad to do anything else aside from Scald and setting up Rocks, so this set can come as a nasty surprise. Knock Off in general annihilates mons like Mesprit and Uxie on the switch who think they're pretty cool with their Energy Ball. This set takes advantage of the fact that Toad is not easy to take out in one hit without a Grass move. If you get a free P-u-P, then you have a huge threat on the field. +1 STAB LO Earthquake hurts a lot, let me tell you. And that coverage is really nice as well. Once again, this mon baits Grass moves for Bouffalant. It also greatly benefits from the wallbreaking that Relicanth does.

So that's my team, I hope you guys like it, feel free to rate and comment and use the team with the importable below!

Importable

Relicanth (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Bouffalant (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Vileplume (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder

Pyroar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Imprison
- Psychic

Seismitoad (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is from PU experience not NU, but is there a reason that you gave 88 speed to relicanth as opposed to max? At least enough for bulky seismitoad seems to make more sense, as a wall breaker isn't as good if it's slower than the wall.

This is from PU experience not NU, but is there a reason that you gave 88 speed to relicanth as opposed to max? At least enough for bulky seismitoad seems to make more sense, as a wall breaker isn't as good if it's slower than the wall.
It is in fact faster than standard Seismitoad which runs Relaxed and maxes at 165 speed. However there's many different ways to run Seismitoad of course, but I decided that it's better to have extra bulk than max speed. Otherwise you're more vulnerable to 2HKO's from stuff like Adamant Kangaskhan's EQ, Stone Edge from Archeops after SR and in general running max speed isn't going to be that relevant as you're still slow.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is in fact faster than standard Seismitoad which runs Relaxed and maxes at 165 speed. However there's many different ways to run Seismitoad of course, but I decided that it's better to have extra bulk than max speed. Otherwise you're more vulnerable to 2HKO's from stuff like Adamant Kangaskhan's EQ, Stone Edge from Archeops after SR and in general running max speed isn't going to be that relevant as you're still slow.
Eh, maybe it's just me but I don't see many mixed defensive (-speed) seismitoad as opposed to just special/physical

CB Relicanth / Sub SD Bouffalant / Defensive Plume / Scarf Pyroar / Defensive Uxie / LO Seismitoad

Hey LLPOF, you've got a really solid balance/bulky team synergy wise but I think you could use better execution. On first glance, I see that that you're using a Bouffalant without the nuke known as Head Charge. In my opinion it's not really worth it to ditch such a powerful move with little drawbacks to hit ghosts that can't really do much back (Mismagius, Rotom). So I recommend you to use SD + 3 Attacks Bouffalant w Lum berry. I highly recommend using Pursuit in that last slot so you can support yourself later in the match when you can freely spam Head Charge.

Bouffalant (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Head Charge

I'm not really convinced by the Uxie set of yours right now. By Imprison all you're doing is shielding yourself from slow Knock off from Hariyama and the likes. Faster and more relevant things like Liepard and Sneasel pretty much spam Knock Off freely without much consequences. You also seem pretty weak to CM Psychics which is not a good trait right now seeing as most teams revolve around Tspikes + CM Psychic right now. I think CM Uxie w/ 3 attacks is the better set you could use so you have a better chance to beat other CM Psychics with Psyshock. Rest Talk Malamar also pretty much 6-0es this team and its preobably the most common thing on the ladder right now. Again Uxie can at least 2HKO it with Signal Beam.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 184 HP / 100 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain

Your team also looks pretty weak to Klinklang right now. Even though you have Seismitoad, life orb + spikes/ prior damage easily takes a toll on it to the point where you die to +1 Frustration. You need Stealth Rock anyway so I'd recommend your Standard defensive Seismitoad w Stealth Rock. It also acts a knock off sponge from the likes of Sneasel and Liepard who look pretty threatening to your team right now.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

This one is optional. Though not as popular right now, you pretty much lose to spikes stacking as your team is full of bulky mons. I'd recommend Specs Swellow w Defog > Scarf Pyroar who can provide you with emergency defog against those teams. Specs swellow can form a little normal spam core hitting hard from both sides of spectrum and weakening each others checks like Rhydon. They are also very similar in terms of revenge killing as Swellow outspeeds the entire unboosted tier bar electrode.

This is also optional. I'd also like you to try Rock Polish Relicanth instead of CB because right now you don't really have much against fast offensive mons. You can deal pretty well with bulkier teams with the help of CM Uxie and SD Bull but against offense you rely heavily on tanking hits. Rock Polish Relicanth doesn't really sacrifice much power but can turn tables vs offense. It gets rock polish vs things like Sneasel, Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskhan and demolishes them.

Hope I helped and didn't change too much!

That looks like an interesting Bouffalant set but it sacrifices a lot of bulk between giving up Lefties, Sub and using Head Charge. Leaves you very vulnerable to weakening yourself and getting revenge killed opposed to using Sub. As for Imprison, keep in mind that Knock Off is everywhere, it cripplex Uxie a lot and also you get to stop SR from being setup. If I use Imprison as they switch into Liepard/Sneasel they can't click Knock Off until I've switched out, which essentially gives me a free switch into Relicanth. Imprison also lets me beat Malamar unless they run Night Slash over Knock Off which is eh. The way I deal with Musharna is either putting them to sleep with Vileplume and/or 2HKO'ing with Relicanth. If Relicanth bites the dust I still have Knock Off and P-u-P on Seismitoad to guarantee that I can finish it or prevent it from Moonlight stalling at worst. Mesprit loses to Uxie regardless if it's CM or not.

I am going to make Relicanth faster though just as an extra insurance against Malamar as well as Seismitoad. As for Klinklang, Pyroar never dies to +1 Return after SR and it can't setup easily against this team. If I put something to sleep with Vileplume I know they're going into Klinklang so I can easily double, so my only concern would be if they came in on Uxie really. Relicanth is also a check with EQ.

Sneasel and Liepard are Head Smash bait as said before. Specs Swellow is a bad set, not to mention giving up my Fire type and only scarfer would be awful. Hazards are a pain as usual but I always have Bouffalant just waiting to capitalize on those free turns if I want, which I can usually convert into two free kills. Even with hazards it's hard to come back from that. Besides my team only really fears Spikes, and I have ways to deal with the likes of Ferroseed/Garbodor/Crustle.

I like the idea of Rock Polish Relicanth, but sadly it's too slow to pull it off succesfully. Besides I already have two other setup sweepers. Anyways thanks for the rate, it's always helpful to hear someone else's opinion.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
CB Relicanth / Sub SD Bouffalant / Defensive Plume / Scarf Pyroar / Defensive Uxie / LO Seismitoad

It's a cool team you have. First, lets look at small set tweaks you could use. I'd suggest at least 136 Speed EVs on Relicanth. Currently, your team struggles with Camerupt: Uxie / Plume / Pyroar get checked by it pretty hard, and you'd really like to have your Relicanth outspeed even max speed ones before they mega evolve and KO. It'd suck to have to switch out one of your Camel checks because they haven't mega'd yet, putting you in a bad spot either or. You could try Agility, but I feel that's inferior to Shell Smash Carracosta, which has priority and fixes up some matchups, but I want to keep Relicanth because that seems to be the core idea of your team. You could make it even faster but w/e that's your call.

That speed change is pretty tech-y and won't always come in play, but this one is really important: I don't understand why you would want to forgo Normal STAB on Bouffalant. If Head Charge's recoil doesn't tickle your fancy, use Frustration / Return. Your team heavily relies on bouffalant to be that guy that checks special attackers. Killing yourself to recoil removes your ability to take any one hit with bouff which sucks for your team structure atm. The thing with Mismagius is that Pyroar is an amazing check against opposing Mismagius, so I'm not sure what you're worrying too much about. Even then, if you're worried you can use the SD + 3 Attacks set with Lum, which works well in that regard because it beats Rotom 1v1 as well, so no worries there. I believe if you had less success with Normal STAB on Bouffalant, it's because of the Head Charge Recoil. Do not use Head Charge on your Bouffalant - I'll get to it next.

Now, lets look at individual threats this team struggles again. You have the type synergies, which is great! But remember you're not playing against a type; you're playing against a pokemon, and you have to look at individual threats and see how your team fares. For instance, your team has 3 Fire Resists and 3 Grass Resists, yet you are 6-0ed by AV Magmortar with HP Grass. If not 6-0ed, they still put a ton of pressure on your team single-handedly. And may god help you if they play carefully around not taking too much damage on the switch or even have Healing Wish for them. Or any other Pokemon with similar coverage such as HP Grass Charcoal Typhlosion or Energy Ball Ninetales. The only thing at the moment that can check them are your Bouffalant. You need it healthy to improve those matchups, and this is why you probably dipped in winrate heavily when you started using Head Charge and whittling yourself into KO range for the Fire-types. To remedy this, I suggest Thunder Wave on Uxie instead of the Imprison set. I know how good Imprison on Uxie is, and I'm not trying to downplay it, but this feels a bit necessary given the context of your team. Instead of Imprisoning the Sneasels you can Twave them which utterly cripples them anyways, lol. To beat the same stuff you'd like, including Malamar, I'd suggest a set of Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Psychic / Signal Beam on Uxie. Colbur may help improve vs. Malamar matchup.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps!

edit: tl;dr:
More Speedy Relicanth
Sub -> Frustration, Leftovers -> Lum on Bouffalant
Thunder Wave Signal Beam Uxie over Imprison Uxie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)