Battle Spot Manectric

[QC: / cant say / Theorymon / Jibaku ]
[GP: / Lord Alphose / Psywaves ]

Overview
########

Manectric becomes one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame after Mega Evolving, only leaving it with very few Pokemon to outspeed it with the exception of Choice Scarf users. It outspeeds common Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Talonflame. Mega Manectric is able to lower the foe's Attack, thanks to its supportive ability Intimidate, so it can survive another hit from certain physically offensive Pokemon. This means that priority moves are less effective at KOing Mega Manectric, as most priority moves are physical. Mega Manectric has access to coverage moves such as Overheat and Hidden Power Ice in order to check or counter threats, with its Speed, Mega Manectric can act as a nice scouter with Volt Switch, allowing it to switch out from foes that pose a huge threat. Mega Manectric's Speed, scouting, and Intimidate combine to weaken physical attackers. Mega Manectric's base 135 Speed allows it to attack first and Volt Switch out after lowering its foe's Attack with Intimidate. This can support a teammate in setting up against the weakened enemy, unless it is battling a Choice Scarf user. Mega Manectric is able to shut down a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Azumarill. Unfortunately, Mega Manectric takes up a Mega slot.

All-Out Attacker
#######
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Overheat / Flamethrower
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Lightningrod
item: Manectite
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is powerful enough to get many 2HKOs on frail Pokemon along with getting rid of Flying- and Water-types. Volt Switch allows for Mega Manectric to get some damage off against the foe before switching out. This is rather helpful against physical attackers when combined with Intimidate, as you can then send out a wall. Overheat is a very powerful Fire-type move and has nice coverage against Grass-, Ice-, and Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Mega Glalie, and Scizor. Flamethrower can be used as an alternative to Overheat, which forces Mega Manectric to use Volt Switch or switch out after a -2 drop in Special Attack. While Flamethrower may not cripple Manectric the same way Overheat does, it should be noted that Flamethrower is a weaker Fire-type move, which means Aegislash can avoid a 2HKO. Hidden Power Ice targets Dragon- and Ground-types such as Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Landorus-T and can possibly OHKO non-specially defensive Garchomp and Mega Salamence.

Set Details
========

Manectite allows Manectric to Mega Evolve into Mega Manectric, boosting its Speed and Special Attack along with granting it Intimidate, which lowers the foe's Attack. This is very useful when going against a physical attacker. Lightning Rod gives Manectric immunity to any Electric-type moves, allowing it to switch into a predicted Electric-type move and gain a boost in Special Attack. This allows Manectric to OHKO threats such as Mega Salamence and Garchomp after Mega Evolving. A Timid nature is used to outspeed base 100 Speed Pokemon before mega evolution, along with Talonflame and Greninja after mega evolution. It also lets Mega Manectric Speed tie with Mega Lopunny. A Modest nature can be used for more damage; it gives Mega Manectric a higher chance to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence and Garchomp than a Timid nature does. Hidden Power Ice 2HKOes Hydregion with a Modest nature, while Timid loses the guaranteed 2HKO. As a cost of using Modest nature, Mega Manectric will lose out on its chance to outspeed Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Blaziken, and Greninja, so Timid nature is often preferred. The remaining EVs are invested in Special Defense to prevent Porygon2 and Porygon-Z from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Manectric is better off as a lead Pokemon because of its Speed and access to Volt Switch. This allows it to hit-and-run against powerful threats that can easily KO it. Also, it can assist with breaking any Focus Sash the foe might hold. It should be noted that Manectric should always Mega Evolve as soon as it is out on the field to take advantage of Mega Manectric's increased base stats. Do not switch Mega Manectric in continuously while entry hazards are out on the field because it lacks recovery and its bulk isn't very good. Do not keep Mega Manectric in on special walls because it's a wasted effort, as it can't KO Pokemon such as Chansey and Cresselia. Remember that when Manectric Mega Evolves into Mega Manectric, it doesn't get a huge boost in bulk; it is still frail, so it should avoid getting hit by any attack in general. Even though Mega Manectric can work great as a lead, it needs to watch out for common leads such as Garchomp; Garchomp's Earthquake can still OHKO Mega Manectric even after Intimidate, and although it has Hidden Power Ice to hit Garchomp for a lot of damage, the latter often carries a Focus Sash and will survive the attack anyway.

Team Options
========

Gyarados is a great partner because it can switch in from Mega Manectric and get an extra Intimidate off on physical attackers. Gyarados's Flying typing gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and provides resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, and Water-type moves. Despite having a 4x weakness to Electric-type moves, Mega Manectric can switch in on a predicted Electric move and get a boost in Special Attack from Lightning Rod before Mega Evolving. Landorus-T is immune to any Ground-type move and can act as a double Intimidate user to soften attacks. It can also help form a VoltTurn core as well. Latios and Latias are both immune to Ground-type attacks because of Levitate. Latios can use a Choice Scarf to outspeed Choice Scarf Garchomp and OHKO it with its Dragon-type STAB moves. Talonflame can assist in getting rid of Fighting-types with its STAB Flying-type moves. It also has access to Will-O-Wisp for punishing physical attackers, which can be combined with Mega Manectric's Intimidate. Also, they both can form a VoltTurn core, just like with Landorus-T. Dragonite can be used to set up Dragon Dance on physical attackers after an Intimidate from Mega Manectric. Hydreigon is immune to Cresselia's Psychic attacks and resists Aegislash's Shadow Ball, and can hit both of these Pokemon hard with Dark Pulse.

Other Options
########

Protect allows Mega Manectric to scout the foe's move first and potentially cripple Choice Scarf users by locking them into a move, such as Garchomp using Earthquake. This gives Mega Manectric the time to switch out into a Pokemon that has a resistance to the attack. It is also useful in getting the Speed boost next turn after Mega Evolving. Unfortunately, it misses out on reliable coverage moves, and it could possibly cause the foe to set up on it. Magnet Rise allows Mega Manectric to avoid Ground-type attacks. Roar acts as a supportive move to Stealth Rock, getting passive damage off and messing up switch-ins. Substitute can be used on predicted switches and status moves. It also gives Mega Manectric a chance to beat Garchomp if it has Choice Scarf or Focus Sash. Toxic can act as a surprise status move to cripple special walls such as Cresselia.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill, and Mamoswine can OHKO Mega Manectric even at -1 Attack with an Earthquake, with the exception of Excadrill, which still has a high 75% chance to OHKO Mega Manectric with Earthquake. Mega Manectric can't really do anything to Mamoswine outside of Overheat, and even that doesn't OHKO it.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Cresselia and Chansey can take continuous hits from Mega Manectric. Cresselia can use Mega Manectric as a setup fodder, and Chansey can stall it out with Toxic.

**Mega Charizard X**: Mega Charizard X resists all of Mega Manectric's attacks aside from Hidden Power Ice, which it can take several hits from. It can easily set up on Mega Manectric and KO it with any of its STAB moves.

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar walls Mega Manectric and can 2HKO it with Earthquake, but Mega Manectric can use Volt Switch to switch into a check or counter.

**Porygon2**: Porygon2 can act as a special wall and switch into Manectric before it Mega Evolves. This is because of its ability Trace, which will copy Manectric's Lightning Rod ability and give it immunity to its Electric-type moves and a boost in Special Attack if hit by one.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########
  • One of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame after Mega Evolving. Only leaving it with very few Pokemon to outspeed it with the exception of Choice Scarf users.
  • Able to lower the foe's attack allowing it to survive another hit from certain physical Pokemon thanks to its ability, Intimidate.
  • Access to coverage moves such as Overheat, Hidden Power Ice, and Signal Beam in order to check / counter threats.
  • With its Speed, Mega Manectric can act as a nice scouter with Volt Switch, allowing it switch out from foes that poses a huge threat.
  • Has mediocre bulk allowing Mega Manectric to be KOed easier by powerful attacks.
  • Able to shut down a lot of offensive synergies such as Azumarill and Aegislash.
  • Very decent to use on offensive teams.
Hey luci. Just wanted to comment really quickly on the overview. The stuff I bolded is either stats / movepool / ability, all of which can be learned from reading about it on serebi. The good thing is that you made some of the points relevant by saying that its speed makes it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame. Expand on this and list somethings that it outspeeds that are super speedy. You also tie some of the stats / abilities / movepool back into how it functions in the metagame, but overall you want to avoid talking about those things unless they have something unique that makes it stand out.

You say it shuts down offensive synergies, you can call those common offensive cores. And you can also say that it matches up nicely against a lot of common teams.

You don't really tell us what role it plays in the meta though, does it play a wallbreaker? Setup sweepers?

What are its downfalls? Dont mention mediocre bulk, thats sort of irrlevant seeing as its an offensive mon.

If you are going to mention its movepool then you did it just right in saying that it has a big movepool that has these unique moves.

Protect is also useful for evolving and getting the speed boost next turn from mega evolving. some pokemon outspeed manetric before it megas.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey baby, I got some stuff:

Montsegur is right about Protect being useful, unfortunately Manectric is already strapped for moveslots as you see, and unlike Blaziken it only needs to use it once. Still, it can be useful to get the guaranteed speed boost and to lock in and scout Choiced Pokemon. Worth a mention in other options but make sure you mention the downsides and other ways to get a free turn to mega evolve, such as with Intimidate.

Hidden Power Ice is the most used move on Manectric and I agree it's super important to kill Dragons like Garchomp, the number one most used Pokemon in the meta. Without it it can't hurt Garchomp which is one of its main uses. Also useful to hit Salamence, Dragonite, Hydreigon, etc. I'd unslash Signal Beam from it and move it up to the first or second slot. Not sure what Signal Beam is used for either, I think most Dark and Psychic are hit neutrally by Electric. Might want to move that to other options and mention exactly what it hits, because it's not quite clear.

In Team Options, I'd remove the mentions of Defog Mandibuzz and Rapid Spin Starmie and spinblocking Gengar. These are all OU metagame ideas that aren't really part of 3v3. The only hazard really used is Stealth Rock, and that's still rare as most of the users are not very viable or they would rather use a different move or attack. A hazard metagame is not really part of 3v3 and usually when hazards are used, you just deal with it or don't bring Pokemon with rock weaknesses. It's not really worth it to bring a spinner or defogger as most of the teams you come across will not be using hazards and you can switch up who you bring.

For Timid vs. Modest, make sure you give a bit more information on both, such as why you need the extra speed of Timid, and some things it gets the KOs on with Modest that it wouldn't with Timid. For example, you can say something like "Timid has a 33% chance to OHKO Garchomp, while Modest has an 87% chance. However, Timid is still the best option because you will be able to outspeed x y z." Check the speed tiers thread in the Battle Spot forum to find out the names of some exact Pokemon.

For checks and counters, I'd add in Tyranitar and Mega Charizard X. However, it can Volt Switch out of them into a check like Landorus-T.

That's all I've got for now! I don't play much with or against Manectric so my knowledge is limited, but these are just some general things.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Would remove Signal Beam because quite frankly it doesn't really hit anything notable. I guess it can dent Hydreigon and Lati@s...that's kindof it. You can generally hit most Psychic and Dark type mons with Thunderbolt for a decent chunk anyways. HP Ice nailing Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Salamence is very significant and can't really be contested by another move (unless you desperately need to kill Gastrodon with HP Grass lol).

I'd also remove the bit about residual damage because it's not as big of an issue for Manectric. It's not weak to Stealth Rock and it doesn't use contact moves so Rough Skin/Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet don't damage it.

Eh I never see Signal Beam replace any of the standard moves above. Nor do I see it used at all. Guess it doesn't need to be mentioned then lol.

Removed both of them Jibaku, thank you. n_n

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm still seeing mentions of Signal Beam in the overview and slashed in the set so drop them

I think you may have been doing the damage calculations a bit wrong, Modest has an 87.5% chance to OHKO Garchomp, however you explain it like it's guaranteed. Maybe you did the calc with Chomp having a Naive nature or something. I also don't understand what you're saying here:
It allows Mega Manectric to OHKO Mega Salamence from 108.9%-129.3% compared to Timid nature which gives it a 93.8% to OHKO
Are those the damage ranges? Like, does Modest HP Ice do 108.9-129.3 % ? Because I'm getting 100.5 - 119.2% with Modest (and 91.2 - 107.6% with Timid - 43.8% to OHKO as opposed to the 93.8% chance you wrote. In short, all your damage calcs are a bit high so I would recommend going over them and making sure they're correct.

Move the 4 Def IVs to SpDef. With HP Ice you're running a 30 IV which means the 4 EVs won't make a difference so they're being wasted. Also, moving them to SpDef will make the stat 1 point higher than your Def, meaning Download Porygon2 will get an attack boost instead

You mention Snarl as a coverage move, SE Snarl hits for 110 BP, while STAB T-bolt hits for 135, so it isn't stronger against Gengar or Cresselia. The only reason you would want to use it is the SpA drop it gives the opponent (it's more of a doubles move anyway in my oppinion). He also has several moves worth mentioning in OO than Protect and Snarl; Sub can be used on predicted switches and status moves (let's you beat Garchomp 1v1 and gives a layer of protection against Scarf and Sash sets if you get it up on the switch). Magnet Rise is a bit gimmicky but stops Earthquake users from walking over you. Roar can also be used with Stealth Rock support to mess up switch ins

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't have as many nitpicks as usual, since Montsegur, Hulavuta, and cant say covered a lot of what I was going to say.

Overview

- Be careful about the Aegislash mention. While Overheat does a LOT to Aegislash, its still 64.6 - 76.6%: Enough for Aegislash to survive with a weakness policy boost and obliterate Manectric with Shadow Ball.

-I'd talk about just how well Mega Manectric's Speed, Scouting, and Intimidate abilities work together: Mega Manectric is often able to Volt Switch before it hits AND leave physical attackers weaker. This has uses such as aiding set up against certain Pokemon (not getting specific here since this depends on a lot of factors going on in the match)

Moves

- I think you should talk about Overheat vs Flamethrower a bit more. The gist of it is: Overheat does a lot better against Aegislash, since you can pick them off after they've taken around 30-40%. However, Overheat usually forces Mega Manectric to Volt Switch out or switch out, since its pretty weak after using Overheat once. Flamethrower avoids this problem and does fine against stuff like Ferrothorn and Scizor, but Flamethrower is so weak that Aegislash can actually avoid a 2HKO, which can be a big problem!

Usage Tips

-While Mega Manectric can work out as a lead against quite a few Pokemon, a notable exception is unfortunaely a common lead: Garchomp. Even with Intimidate, Garchomp can still KO Mega Manectric with Earthquake, and you never know what Garchomp is running: Even if you get a high roll with Hidden Power Ice, it often has Focus Sash and survives anyways. Choice Band and LO also totally anhilate Mega Manectric.

Team Options

- For Latias (and you can mention Latios here too), I think their bigger selling points as teammates are that they can outspeed and KO Garchomp.

-I'd give Hydreigon and Dragonite a mention alongside Latias and Latios as well. Hydreigon sadly doesn't outspeed Garchomp unless its carryng a Choice Scarf, but access to STAB Dark Pulse is pretty awesome against Cresselia! It also resists Shadow Ball which can help when a healthy Aegislash comes in and for when you don't want to sack Mega Manectric. Dragonite is pretty much a simple set up sweeper with Dragon Dance, or you can just smash stuff with CB Dragonite.

Other Options

-If Ubers and Battlespot have taught me anything, its that if you got a mon who gets walled by something like Cresselia or Lugia, Toxic is a good thing to mention in other options! Also, Mega Charizard X and Tyranitar won't like Toxic either.

Checks and Couners

I'd give a little rolecall for the general Ground-types of battle spot: Garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill, and Mamoswine. The former two are weak to Hidden Power Ice but can run Scarf, while Excadrill does get hit by Fire moves. Mega Manectric has no chance of OHKOing Mamoswine though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This seems fine to me, Manectric is super one-dimensional so there's not much else to add. There are a few instances where you explain things a little awkwardly, but that's for GP I guess

QC Approved 1/3

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep, everything I mentioned was covered, and like cant say said: It's Mega Manectric. It isn't rocket science!

QC Approved 2/3

Guess its time for ya to start writing!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
QC Approved 3/3

Mention P2 under checks (also it can trace Lightningrod for the initial switch in).

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment
Overview
########

Mega Manectric becomes one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame after Mega Evolving, only leaving it with veryonly a few Pokemon tohat outspeed it,(AC) with the exception of Choice Scarf users. It outspeeds common Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Talonflame. Mega Manectric is able to lower the foe's Attack, thanks to its supportive ability Intimidate, so it can survive another hit from certain physical Pokemon, thanks to its supportive ability Intimidate. P. This means that priority moves are harder to remoless effective it because of the decrease in Attack andat KOing Mega Manectric, as most priority moves are physical. Mega Manectric has access to coverage moves such as Overheat, and Hidden Power Ice in order to check or counter threats. With its Speed, Mega Manectric can act as a nice scouter with Volt Switch, allowing it switch out from foes that poses a huge threat. Mega Manectric's Speed, scouting, and Intimidate all cooperate with each other to weaken physical attackers. Mega Manectric's base 135 Speed will surely allow it to attack first and Volt Switch out after lowering its foe's aAttack with Intimidate. This can support its teammate in setting up against the weakened enemy, unless it is battling a Choice Scarf user. Mega Manectric is able to shut down a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Azumarill. Unfortunately, Mega Manectric takes up a mMega slot(I see slot most often used in this situation, but I'm not totally sure. Like, 73% sure. Hope the other GPer knows.) and there are much better Pokemon such as Raikou that can do its job better.(Well don't undersell it. If it was that bad, it wouldn't be getting an analysis!)

All Out Special Attacker
#######
name: All Out Special Attacker
move1: Thunderbolt
move2: Volt Switch
move3: Overheat / Flamethrower
move4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Lightning Rod
item: Manectrite(no "r")

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is powerful enough to get many 2HKOs on frail Pokemon along with getting rid of Flying- and Water-types. Volt Switch allows for Mega Manectric to get some damage off against the foe before switching out. This is rather helpful against physical attackers when combined with Intimidate,(AC) against physical attackers is you can then sending out a bulkly physical wall. Overheat is a very powerful Fire-type move and has nice coverage against Grass-, Ice-, and Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Mega Glalie, and Scizor. Flamethrower can be used as an alternate move instead of Overheat because Overheat forces Mega Manectric to use Volt Switch or switch out after a -2 drop in Special Attack leaving its attacks weak, whereas(RC). Flamethrower don't have the same issues as Overheat, but it should be noted that Flamethrower is a weaker Fire-type move, which means Aegislash can avoid a 2HKO. Hidden Power Ice targets Dragon- and Ground-types such as Dragonite, Hydregion, and Landorus-T and can possibly OHKO non -specially(add hyphen) defensive Garchomp and Mega Salamence.

Set Details
========

Manectrite allows Manectric to Mega Evolve into Mega Manectric as it gains a huge,(AC) boost ing its Speed and Special Attack, along with granting it Intimidate, which lowers the foe's Attack. This is very useful when going against a physical attacker. Lightning Rod gives Manectric immunity to any Electric-type moves, allowing it to switch into a predicted Electric-type move and gains a boost in Special Attack. This allows Manectric to surely OHKO some threats such as Mega Salamence and Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice after Mega Evolving. A Timid nature is used to outspeed base 100s Speed Pokemon along with Talonflame and Greninja. It also Speed ties with Mega Lopunny. However, it loses the guaranteed 2HKO on certain Pokemon, such as Hydreigon. A Modest nature can be used for more damage with Special Attacks. It gives Mega Manectric a higher chance to OHKO Mega Salamence and Garchomp without any Special Defense investment compared to Timid nature, which gives it a lower chance to OHKO. Hidden Power Ice 2HKOs Hydregion under Modest while Timid gives a possible 2HKO. As a cost of using Modest nature, Mega Manectric will lose out on its chance to outspeed Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Blaziken, and Greninja, so Timid nature is often preferred.(It was bouncing around a little bit, so I'm just trying to help it flow.) The remaining EVs are for Special Defense to prevent Porygon-2 and Porygon-Z from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Manectric is better off as a lead Pokemon because of its Speed and access to Volt Switch. This allows it to hit-and-run against powerful threats that can easily KO it. Also, it can assist with breaking any Focus Sash users. It should be noted that it should always Mega Evolve as soon as Manectricit is out on the field because its stats increases as soon as it Mega Evolves. Don't switch Mega Manectric in continuously while hazards are out on the field because it has a lack of recovery and its bulk isn't very good. Don't keep Mega Manectric in on special walls because it's a wasted effort,as it can't KOing Pokemon such as Chansey, and Cresselia. Remember that even though Manectric Mega Evolved into Mega Manectric, doesn't mean it hasn't gotten a huge boost in bulk. It is still frail so it should avoid getting hit by any attack in general. Even though Mega Manectric can work great as a lead, it needs to watch out for common leads such as Garchomp. Mega Manectric can still be OHKOed with Earthquake from Garchomp, even after Intimidate. Even if it has Hidden Power Ice to hit Garchomp for a lot of damage, it often carries a Focus Sash and survives the attack anyway.

Team Options
========

Gyarados is a great partner because it can switch in from Mega Manectric and get an extra Intimidate off on physical attackers. Gyarados's Flying typing gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and provides resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, and Water-types. Despite having 4x weakness to Electric-types, Mega Manectric can switch in on a predicted Electric move and get a boost in Special Attack from Lightning Rod before Mega Evolving. Landorus-T is immune to any Ground-type move and can act as a double Intimidate user in softening attacks. It can also help form a VoltTurn core as well. It also can help work as a counter for Rock-, and Ground-types. Latios and Latias are both immune to Ground-type attacks because of Levitate and can act as another Defogger in removing Stealth Rock, but it is a rare sight in seeing hazards. Latios can use Choice Scarf to outspeed Choice Scarf Garchomp and OHKO it with its STAB moves. Talonflame can assist in getting rid of Bug-, Fighting-, Grass-, Ice-, and Steel-types with its STAB Flying- and Fire-type moves(It can do that. However, Manectric carries a Fire-type coverage move, so most of those are kind of null points. Most important is being able to take out Fighting-types, afaik). It also as access to Will-O-Wisp for punishing physical attackers. This can be combined with Mega Manectric's Intimidate. Also, they both can form a VoltTurn core just like Landorus-T can. Dragonite can be used to set up Dragon Dance on physical attackers after an Intimidate from Mega Manectric. Hydregion is immuned to Cresselia's Psychic attacks and resists Aegislash's Shadow Balls. Hydregion,(AC) and can hit both of these Pokemon hard with Dark Pulse.

Other Options
########

Protect allows Mega Manectric to scout the foe's move first. Also, it can potentially cripple Choice Scarf users, thus locking them into a move such as Garchomp using Earthquake. This gives Mega Manectric the time to switch out into a Pokemon that has an immunity to Ground-type attacks. It is also useful in getting the Speed boost next turn after Mega Evolving. Unfortunately, it misses out on reliable coverage moves, and it could possibly cause the foe to set up on it. Magnet Rise acts ais a gimmick in order forthat allows Mega Manectric to avoid Ground-type attacks. Roar acts as a supportive move to Stealth Rock, getting passive damage off and messesing up switch -ins. Substitute can be used on predicted switches and status moves. It also gives Mega Manectric a chance to beat Garchomp if it has Choice Scarf or Focus Sash. Toxic can act as a surprise status move cripple special walls such as Cresselia.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill,(AC) and Mamoswine can OHKO Mega Manectric even at -1 Attack with an Earthquake with the exception of Excadrill because it,(AC) which has has a three-fourth of as chance to OHKO Mega Manectric with Earthquake. Mega Manectric can't really do anything to Mamoswine outside of Overheat and even that doesn't OHKO it.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Cresselia and Chansey can take continuous hits from Mega Manectric. Cresselia can use Mega Manectric as a set up fodder,(AC) asnd Chansey can stall it with Toxic.

**Mega Charizard X / Tyranitar**: Mega Charizard X completely walls Mega Manectric's attacks and take several hits from Hidden Power Ice. Mega Charizard XIt can easily set up on Mega Manectric and KO it with any of its STAB moves. Tyranitar also walls Mega Manectric and 2HKOs it with Earthquake. But Mega Manectric can use Volt Switch to switch into a more reasonable check or counter.(Should these be two separate sections?)

**Porygon2**: Porygon2 can act as a special wall and switch into Manectric before it Mega Evolves. This is because of its ability Trace, which will copy Manectric's Lightning Rod ability and gives it immunity to its Electric-type moves and get a boost in Special Attack.

Get some colons (:) after the second set of (**).

GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Mega Manectric becomes one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame after Mega Evolving, only leaving it with very few Pokemon to outspeed it with the exception of Choice Scarf users. It outspeeds common Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Talonflame. Mega Manectric is able to lower the foe's Attack, thanks to its supportive ability Intimidate, so it can survive another hit from certain physically offensive Pokemon. This means that priority moves are less effective at KOing Mega Manectric, as most priority moves are physical. Mega Manectric has access to coverage moves such as Overheat, (RC) and Hidden Power Ice in order to check or counter threats., (full stop/period -> full stop) and with its Speed, Mega Manectric can act as a nice scouter with Volt Switch, allowing it switch out from foes that poses a huge threat. Mega Manectric's Speed, scouting, and Intimidate all cooperate with each other combine to weaken physical attackers. Mega Manectric's base 135 Speed allows it to attack first and Volt Switch out after lowering its foe's Attack with Intimidate. This can support its a teammate in setting up against the weakened enemy, unless it is battling a Choice Scarf user. Mega Manectric is able to shut down a lot of common offensive Pokemon such as Azumarill. Unfortunately, Mega Manectric takes up a Mega slot.

All-(hyphen)Out Special Attacker (there's not another all-out set in the analysis, so IMO there's not much of a need to denote this one as being special)
#######
name: All-(hyphen)Out Special Attacker
move1: Thunderbolt
move2: Volt Switch
move3: Overheat / Flamethrower
move4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Lightning Rod
item: Manectite

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is powerful enough to get many 2HKOs on frail Pokemon along with getting rid of Flying- and Water-types. Volt Switch allows for Mega Manectric to get some damage off against the foe before switching out. This is rather helpful against physical attackers when combined with Intimidate, as you can then send out a bulky wall (walls are bulky by definition). Overheat is a very powerful Fire-type move and has nice coverage against Grass-, Ice-, and Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Mega Glalie, and Scizor. Flamethrower can be used as an alternate move instead of alternative to Overheat, (AC) which because Overheat forces Mega Manectric to use Volt Switch or switch out after a -2 drop in Special Attack leaving its attacks weak (only Volt Switch is left weak for one turn, assuming it doesn't stay in with the stat drops). Flamethrower don't have the same issues as Overheat, but it should be noted that Flamethrower is a weaker Fire-type move, which means Aegislash can avoid a 2HKO. Hidden Power Ice targets Dragon- and Ground-types such as Dragonite, Hydreigion, and Landorus-T and can possibly OHKO non-specially defensive Garchomp and Mega Salamence.

Set Details
========

Manectite allows Manectric to Mega Evolve into Mega Manectric, boosting its Speed and Special Attack along with granting it Intimidate, which lowers the foe's Attack. This is very useful when going against a physical attacker. Lightning Rod gives Manectric immunity to any Electric-type moves, allowing it to switch into a predicted Electric-type move and gains a boost in Special Attack. This allows Manectric to surely OHKO some threats such as Mega Salamence and Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice after Mega Evolving. A Timid nature is used to outspeed base 100 Speed Pokemon along with Talonflame and Greninja. It also lets Mega Manectric Speed ties with Mega Lopunny. However, it loses the guaranteed 2HKO on certain Pokemon, such as Hydreigon. (this bit works better in the section about the Modest nature IMO, so keep the sentence about it that was there) A Modest nature can be used for more damage; (semicolon) with Special Attacks (already implied; Manectric's moveset is entirely special).(remove full stop/period) it gives Mega Manectric a higher chance to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence and Garchomp without any Special Defense investment compared to than a Timid nature does, which gives it a lower chance to OHKO (already established)., (full stop/period -> comma) and Hidden Power Ice 2HKOes Hydregion under with a Modest nature, (AC) while Timid gives a possible 2HKO. As a cost of using a Modest nature, however, Mega Manectric will lose out on its chance to outspeed Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, Mega Blaziken, and Greninja, so a Timid nature is often preferred. The remaining EVs are for invested in Special Defense to prevent Porygon-(remove hyphen)2 and Porygon-Z from getting an increase in Special Attack from their ability, Download.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Manectric is better off as a lead Pokemon because of its Speed and access to Volt Switch. This allows it to hit-and-run against powerful threats that can easily KO it. Also, it can assist with breaking any Focus Sash users that the foe might hold (the Sash gets broken rather than the user). It should be noted that it Manectric should always Mega Evolve as soon as it is out on the field because its stats increases as soon as it Mega Evolves. Don't switch Mega Manectric in continuously while entry hazards are out on the field because it has a lacks of recovery and its bulk isn't very good. Don't keep Mega Manectric in on special walls because it's a wasted effort, as it can't KO Pokemon such as Chansey, (RC) and Cresselia. Remember that even though Manectric Mega Evolved when Manectric Mega Evolves into Mega Manectric, it hasn't gotten doesn't get a huge boost in bulk.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) it is still frail, (AC) so it should avoid getting hit by any attack in general. Even though Mega Manectric can work great as a lead, it needs to watch out for common leads such as Garchomp.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) Mega Manectric can still be OHKOed with Earthquake from Garchomp's Earthquake can still OHKO Mega Manectric (passive voice -> active voice), even after Intimidate.,(full stop/period -> comma) and although Manectric Even if it (HP Ice is an option on the moveset that's not slashed with anything, so chances are that Mega Man is going to run it, hence why I removed the "if" part) has Hidden Power Ice to hit Garchomp for a lot of damage, it the latter often carries a Focus Sash and will survives the attack anyway.

Team Options
========

Gyarados is a great partner because it can switch in from Mega Manectric and get an extra Intimidate off on physical attackers. Gyarados's Flying typing gives it immunity to Ground-type moves and provides resistance to Bug-, Fighting-, Fire-, and Water-type moves (it hasn't got a weakness to the Pokemon of the mentioned types per se; it's weak to the moves). Despite having a 4x weakness to Electric-type moves, Mega Manectric can switch in on a predicted Electric move and get a boost in Special Attack from Lightning Rod before Mega Evolving. Landorus-T is immune to any Ground-type move and can act as a double Intimidate user in softening to soften attacks. It can also help form a VoltTurn core as well. Latios and Latias are both immune to Ground-type attacks because of Levitate and can act as another Defoggers in removing and remove Stealth Rock. Latios can use Choice Scarf to outspeed Choice Scarf Garchomp and OHKO it with its STAB moves. Talonflame can assist in getting rid of Fighting-types with its STAB Flying-type moves. It also has access to Will-O-Wisp for punishing physical attackers., (full stop/period -> comma) This which can be combined with Mega Manectric's Intimidate. Also, they both can form a VoltTurn core, (AC) just like with Landorus-T. Dragonite can be used to set up Dragon Dance on physical attackers after an Intimidate from Mega Manectric. Hydreigion is immuned to Cresselia's Psychic attacks and resists Aegislash's Shadow Ball, and can hit both of these Pokemon hard with Dark Pulse.

Other Options
########

Protect allows Mega Manectric to scout the foe's move first. Also, it can and potentially cripple Choice Scarf users, thus by locking them into a move, (AC) such as Garchomp using Earthquake. This gives Mega Manectric the time to switch out into a Pokemon that has an immunity or resistance to Ground-type the attacks. (in the case of the example it's a Ground move, but it's not always going to be) It is also useful in getting the Speed boost next turn after Mega Evolving. Unfortunately, it misses out on reliable coverage moves, and it could possibly cause the foe to set up on it. Magnet Rise is a gimmick that allows Mega Manectric to avoid Ground-type attacks. Roar acts as a supportive move to Stealth Rock, getting passive damage off and messing up switch-ins. Substitute can be used on predicted switches and status moves. It also gives Mega Manectric a chance to beat Garchomp if it has Choice Scarf or Focus Sash. Toxic can act as a surprise status move to cripple special walls such as Cresselia.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill, and Mamoswine can OHKO Mega Manectric even at -1 Attack with an Earthquake, (AC) with the exception of Excadrill, which still has a three-fourths of a high (or 75% if you'd rather)chance to OHKO Mega Manectric with Earthquake. Mega Manectric can't really do anything to Mamoswine outside of Overheat, (AC) and even that doesn't OHKO it.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Cresselia and Chansey can take continuous hits from Mega Manectric. Cresselia can use Mega Manectric as a set(remove space)up fodder, and Chansey can stall it out with Toxic.

**Mega Charizard X**: Mega Charizard X completely walls resists all of Mega Manectric's attacks and aside from Hidden Power Ice, (AC) which it can take several hits from Hidden Power Ice. It can easily set up on Mega Manectric and KO it with any of its STAB moves.

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar also walls Mega Manectric and can 2HKOs it with Earthquake., (full stop/period -> comma) but Mega Manectric can use Volt Switch to switch into a more reasonable check or counter.

**Porygon2**: Porygon2 can act as a special wall and switch into Manectric before it Mega Evolves. This is because of its ability Trace, which will copy Manectric's Lightning Rod ability and give it immunity to its Electric-type moves and a boost in Special Attack if hit by one.

GP 2/2 :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I had to go over this to make several edits where you neglected to add the GPers fix. These are not 'suggestions' that you can chose to add or not, they are necessary fixes. There were also some sentences that still read weirdly even though it had been fixed by the GPers.

The biggest change I had to make was remove the mention of Defog Latios and Latias as teammates since that move combination is illegal in the ORAS version of Battle Spot

I thought I added in every suggestion that they made, rather I don't choose the kind of edits that I would want to be quite honest. Being a GP amateur for around....4 months now, it is always best to listen to their checks because they are right, unless there are one or two minor mistakes they made, or one or two unnecessary changes that they made. I remember after a GP member finished a check for 2/2 I myself even saw there was a whole bunch of errors and some fixes that wasn't made after going through it.

I know that I was rushing to make all the changes because I did feel that I was really taking a long time trying to finish Manectric; more as thinking of the consequences if I don't finish it in time. That is a common mistake though. I also know that this first analyses I ever did came off to be a rocky start for me, but I'm learning. I'm actually glad that I'm being fed with constructive criticism because this helps give me feedback on what I ought to work on next time, making note that it shouldn't happen again.

Also, my apologies in pertaining to missing any changes the GP members made and that I seriously forgot about Latios and Latias because I forgot to remove them last night as well. V__V

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
little nitpick: Smogon formats Lightning Rod the old way, Lightningrod, I still don't understand why

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Uploaded. Had to put spaces inbetween move and number, i.e. move 1: Also the dex only registers Lightning Rod as Lightningrod...who knew.

cant say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)