Memories of the Battle Factory

Let me take you back to the days of Pokémon Emerald:
So you are on your journey through the Hoenn region and you make it to Slateport. You’re about to go to Route 110 when you notice something: the Contest Hall has been replaced with a strange new building. You go in and discover that this is a Battle Tent. In this particular Battle Tent, you fight with random rental Pokémon. After you become Champion, you learn about the new Battle Frontier, which has seven different battle facilities, some of which were hinted at in the Battle Tents. This includes the Slateport Battle Tent, which was a small version of the brand new Battle Factory!
The Battle Factory is a very unique facility in the main series Pokémon games as it is the only area where you use Pokémon that aren't yours (well, not counting that one Shuckle in the Johto games). The basic mechanic in the Factory is that when you start your run, you are given six Pokémon and you choose three of them to use in your run. As you defeat opponents, you are given clues about your next fight and then are able to trade one of your rental Pokémon for one of the trainer you just defeated. This allows you to improve your team or change it to better suit the next match.
The Battle Factory made a return in Pokémon Platinum in the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, where the basic rules are the same as the Hoenn incarnation. This facility (along with the rest of Sinnoh's Frontier) was copied and pasted into HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Due to the unique nature of the Battle Factory, I thought it would be good to have a place to discuss our experiences since there isn't any topics that it fits into other than perhaps bad luck and dumb AI, and even then, that's limiting.
So, discuss your experiences with both incarnations of the Battle Factory along with Slateport's Battle Tent. Cool teams, odd choices in movesets, and so on.

-----------------------
In a recent run on my copy of SoulSilver, I managed to get an Adamant Dragonite with Dragon Claw, Aerial Ace, Thunder Wave (would have preferred Earthquake, especially since I never used Thunder Wave), and Dragon Dance holding a Lum Berry. This thing wrecked many opponents.

Last edited:
Good initiative on starting this thread.

I have some memories from the Factory (more than I can remember). Played it in both Emerald and Platinum, but very little in HG/SS. Haven't won Gold in either generation, but Silver in both. Since various points last year, I have attempted to get Gold in both but have yet to succeed in either. Because of this, some of my memories are rather recent.

Emerald

First of all, I remember parts of my first battle against Noland for the Silver Symbol. I lost that battle. Don't remember any exact details except that I believe it involved a Jolteon, a Skarmory and maybe an Exeggutor. I also believe that I could have won if I had made some better decisions during the battle, which grieved me afterwards.

I remember another time where I was playing Open Level in the first round and the only Pokemon I had left was an Ampharos with only Electric moves while my opponent had a Whiscash which I knew had either Fissure or Earthquake. I was waiting for it to kill me so I could leave and move on to something else, but it kept using other moves and I got bored and decided to forfeit the battle instead of waiting for the stupid AI to use the right move.

My record in the Emerald Factory is 34 wins in a row, and I remember parts of the loss battle. I had a Swampert with Surf, Earthquake, Counter and Mirror Coat, my opponent was a Claydol with Psychic, Earthquake, Double Team and Cosmic Power. The Claydol was faster and set up 6 Cosmic Powers and Double Teams, so I had no chance of hitting it with any of my moves. It got down to Struggling in the end, and I expected it to Struggle itself to death, but because of the way Struggle works this generation, it only did very little damage to itself and recovered with Leftovers afterwards. So the battle just didn't end, and I had to forfeit.

Platinum

To start with, I will refer to some things from this excellent Battle Factory Guide written by Glen, so if there is anything that doesn't make sense or seems weird, go there to check. I also recommend this guide for anyone who is trying to win at the 4th gen Factory.

I have some vauge memories from when I won my Silver Print against Thorton, which must have been in 2010 or something. I am pretty sure the battle involved a Kadabra and a Mismagius (was playing on Level 50), and given the circumstances, I must have had the Kadabra and Thorton the Mismagius. Don't remember anything more other than that I won.

I remember another time where I was playing the Factory and the battery on my DS was turning red and I had no way to charge it just at that time, which made me wonder if I would "lose against time". But it held up and I made it through all 7 battles, fortunately.

One recent memory is one of the times I had to rematch Thorton at battle #21. Before this, I had a team of set 4 Luxray with Intimidate and set 3 Kingdra, don't remember the third Pokemon. The strategy was (if possible) to start with Thunder Wave, switch and Dragon Dance 2 or more times, then destroy everything. Pretty sure I had won more than one battle this way.

Anyway, as I was about to face Thorton, I am told he leads with this:

876 | Magnezone | Modest | Brightpowder | Thunderbolt | Flash Cannon | Tri Attack | Signal Beam | Def/SpA

In the battle before, I had faced a trainer with Rock/Ground types. Don't remember the first Pokemon they had, but the second and third were Probopass and Bastiodon. I also believe the first Pokemon had been set 3 and trainers for the first rounds follow a pattern with their teams so that most if not all the time, their teams are composed of Pokemon from the same set (this has been my experience, at least). I could therefore expect the Probopass to be set 3 which has Explosion and Earthquake, and that is awesome. I thought that maybe I could switch it into the Magnezone and hope to kill it with Earthquake, then explode on the second Pokemon to make things easier. So I swapped my third Pokemon for the Probopass and entered the battle.

Thorton sends out Magnezone, I send out Luxray. Checked Probopass and as I suspected, it was set 3. I use Thunder Wave, Magnezone is fully paralyzed. Switch to Probopass, Magnezone is fully paralyzed again. Earthquake for about 70%, it uses Thunderbolt for around 80%. Earthquake again for the kill. Out comes this:

812 | Altaria | Modest | White Herb | Draco Meteor | Air Cutter | Flamethrower | Ice Beam | SpA/Spe

I didn't check this set correctly, assumed it had something that would kill me and used Explosion. I don't remember what it used but it must have been either Air Cutter or Ice Beam (might have been because I was low at HP and it was trying to "predict" a switch). Probopass survives and Explosion kills both. I send out Luxray again, Thorton counters with this:

796 | Shiftry | Adamant | Cheri Berry | Seed Bomb | Sucker Punch | Aerial Ace | Explosion | HP/Atk

It has a Cheri Berry so it isn't worth using Thunder Wave. It uses Seed Bomb, I go for Ice Fang which does around 70%. Seed Bomb again takes down Luxray. I send in Kingdra and use Outrage for the win.

Another memory I can think of was one time when I had set 3 Magnezone but lost against set 2 Cradily because of some extremely bad luck.

My record in the Platinum Factory is 40 wins in a row, the team I had that time was set 3 Weezing, set 3 Latias and set 3 Froslass, I lost to set 4 Metagross which destroyed me completely.

As for HG/SS, I mentioned that I didn't play the Factory much there (and the same goes for the Frontier in general, a Battle Frontier is one feature where I really don't want to play through the same thing two, let alone three times). But I remember one time where I played the Factory in SoulSilver and lost against a Porygon. This just made me very angry back then for some reason I can't remember.

There is probably more but this was what I could think of for now. Might go back and look at old posts where I have written about Factory adventures and see what more there is to remember.

The basic mechanic in the Factory is that when you start your run, you are given six Pokémon and you choose three (four in Doubles) of them to use in your run.
Just a small correction. You still only get to use 3 Pokemon in Doubles, from what I remember and from what Bulbapedia had listed regarding it.

Aw man, I remember the battle factory. I used to hate it but now it's one of my favorites. I remember a while ago I was playing on my Emerald cart (maybe it was HG?), and leading my team was a Ludicolo. Rain Dish (*maybe* swift swim, it's been a while) with Leech Seed/Double Team/Rain Dance/Mega (Giga?) Drain. I loved that thing - it was simple enough, set up rain, leech seed up, double team and ride evasion hax and healing to a victory. I swept the frontier brain with just that thing....

Well, guess ima start playing some HG battle factory, and I'll come talk about it later. Time for some fun! ^_^

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Let me just start off by saying that the Slateport Battle Tent is cruel. In my last playthrough of Emerald, I stopped by there to grab the Taunt TM and do a quick run of it, only to find one of the 6 rental Pokemon was a shiny Cacnea. I can still feel myself dying a little bit over only having it for three battles. =_=

But anyway, I have some fond memories of the battle factory in Emerald. I still find great delight in tearing apart the first seven trainers of the Lv 50 course with that SD/Stick/Slash Farfetch'd. I also remember that trollish Swagger/Psych Up/Aerial Ace Jumpluff from rank 3 of the Lv 50 course, which won me my silver symbol from Nolan against a Pokemon that was spamming Double Team (don't remember the Pokemon off the top of my head.)

Don't remember much from Platinum's factory since I never really got into Gen IV's frontier, but I can remember that Thorton used fully evolved Pokemon in his silver symbol match while you were stuck with NFE Pokes, which I always thought was pretty unfair. lol

Don't remember much from Platinum's factory since I never really got into Gen IV's frontier, but I can remember that Thorton used fully evolved Pokemon in his silver symbol match while you were stuck with NFE Pokes, which I always thought was pretty unfair. lol
That's why you should do the "Open Level" battles since everything is Level 100 and fully evolved. You get the Silver and Gold Symbols identically either way.
Also, that shiny Cacnea. They really need to prevent unobtainable Pokémon from being shiny.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
That's why you should do the "Open Level" battles since everything is Level 100 and fully evolved. You get the Silver and Gold Symbols identically either way.
Also, that shiny Cacnea. They really need to prevent unobtainable Pokémon from being shiny.
Wasn't like that in the Gen III factory though; Nolan used rank 3 Pokemon in his silver match just like you. Back then you basically had a choice to start with NFE Pokemon in a slightly more offense-based run (since the damage output is higher at Lv 50 than Lv 100), or start with strong Pokemon right off the bat.

Let me just start off by saying that the Slateport Battle Tent is cruel. In my last playthrough of Emerald, I stopped by there to grab the Taunt TM and do a quick run of it, only to find one of the 6 rental Pokemon was a shiny Cacnea. I can still feel myself dying a little bit over only having it for three battles. =_=l
I feel you. I was playing battle dome, and when battling I found myself facing a shiny Metang. It was just....why T_T

"Where the intelligence of TRAINERS is put to the test!"
I'd say at least 70% or more of my Emerald experience comes solely from the Factory, with about 30-35% each in Platinum and Soul Silver -- I just couldn't help but stay there, even after all the hax and all the failed attempts to Gold Symbol those Factories.

I love the Battle Factory because I like using rentals in Pokémon games. It was also a fun challenge to deliberately trade Pokémon after every battle just so that I got the chance to use legendaries appearing at the starting lineup as soon as "World" 5. I never did find any shinies, but Norton had a shiny Nidoking during my first Emerald Gold Symbol Battle, which really lit up the moment for me.

-------------------------------

The various Pokémon movesets were the highlight of the Battle Factory and Battle Tent. It was fun seeing how each World had its own trends in movesets, and how those trends used for the Emerald and Platinum/HGSS Factories almost paralleled each other. For instance, the Open Level World 1 movesets were usually either good or otherwise lackluster, like a Blaziken with Double Kick. Move up to World 2, and you'd probably see hordes of Double Teaming Leech Seed / Toxic spammers or Pokémon with odd movesets (Perish Trapper Jynx, for one). But then World 3 gives you quite the showcase: users that Trick Choice items, heavily offensive movesets, and a wonderful display of OHKO moves. And the movesets got even better from there with each World to follow.

A few of my favorite movesets from the Factory (or at least the ones that always stuck out to me) are All-Out-Attacking Registeel, Choice Band Staraptor (I believe it had Giga Impact?!), and Gen 4's World 3 Venomoth.

I like Lv. 50 and Open Lv. somewhat evenly; it's just a mattter of which I want to play at the moment. As for Singles vs. Doubles...Singles all the way. I was very bad at managing Doubles win streaks at the Factories. Going Co-op with my brother, though, was always a fun experience, and the teamwork usually paid off in the long run.

Great post! Playing through HG's Factory right now, and some of the movesets are really making me wonder...Special attacking Metagross? Really? Others aren't as bad. Elemental punches Rhyperior (+Aqua Tail) is interesting (although lacking in STAB), and really the only thing ruining my fun is the slooooooow Gen IV battle mechanics. It's just....so bad...I mean, the health bars just take forever to go down. Still, it's crazy fun, and I like Pikabro's concept of calling the blocks of seven "worlds". It's funny now that I think about it; I never noticed the moveset changes, but it's well documented that Gen VI Battle Maison changes up every 10 battles up to 41, I believe, where the legendaries start coming into play. Anyway, let's keep this thread alive and running with more posts!
Edit: Mamoswine just used Peck on my Rhyperior (the punching one from earlier).....and it just did it again. What....And that Kingdra just used Dragon Pulse instead of a water type move. I just...don't understand .-.
Edit2: Male Wailord uses attract on male Rhyperior, who OHKOs with Thunderpunch in return. Alright, this AI is officially REALLY dumb.
Edit3: Silver print get! The last 7 battles were pretty good, I must say. I started with a Rhyperior/Nidoking/Golduck lineup, nothing too special, but pretty functional. First out is a Toxicroak, and I'm anticipating a fighting move on Rhyperior, so I use Counter to try for an OHKO. I'm not *too* worried as Rhyperior has a Sash, but out comes the Focus Blast, taking him down to 1 HP. Suddenly I'm down a mon, but Golduck comes out with Zen Headbutt to save the day. I must say, Golduck was a real lifesaver; about battle four or five I was doing well - I had traded out Rhyperior for a Shiftry to take out a lead Gastrodon, and then swapped that Shiftry out for a Lucario (which was REALLY good, BTW), who had swept this trainer's whole team. Last mon comes out - Garchomp. It takes out Lucario, and I switch to Nidoking, who uses Ice Beam...but not before Garchomp crits and OHKOs it. So I'm left with full health Golduck to fight full health Garchomp. My only hope is Ice Punch, so I use it. Garchomp uses Stone Edge and takes out roughly half Golduck's health, and Ice Punch takes out ~3/4 of Garchomp's health. So many things could go wrong - bad damage roll, crit...but none do. Golduck is left with 19 HP and takes out Garchomp in return. The Factory Brain wasn't anything special. Lucario Close Combats a Dewgong (who used Fake Out...but Inner Focus ^_^), OHKOing, and then I don't even remember what the last few were, but I took them out easy enough. Anyway, I'm going for the gold now, the silver run was crazy fun (and crazy tense too).
I've been toying around with an idea in my head - how would you guys react if I made a Battle Tower LP thread? I would do posts cataloging one set of matches, showing the Highlights and the team changes. I would probably do something like designate an MVP for each section and designate its set and other general tips for using it. I think that might be fun...thoughts?
Edit4 (Last one this time, for real): Totally doing the whole LP thing, it'll be great!

Last edited:
When I picked Croagunk. I've never owned one in any Gen4 game so I was shocked when it turned his head to me and stared at me, i could read this from its eyes:

"Whaddahell is this guy thinking, sending a helpless Skiploom against me."

d0e0406c3f7c357e5a5c3a711afcc73f.png
It shuddered afterwards.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Me in the Battle Factory:
The foe's Leafeon used Leaf Blade!
A critical hit!
Hitmontop fainted!
Go! Raichu!
A critical hit!
Raichu fainted!
Go! Sharpedo!
It's super effective!
The foe's Leafeon was hurt by Sharpedo's Rough Skin!
Sharpedo fainted!
--Battle 21 (vs. Thorton)

Got the gold symbol in Emerald last summer. Lucked my way through the first four rounds, one time actually having a Sheer Cold Walrein missing three times in a row, then in the final round I got a Suicune with Rest and Calm Mind at the start. That thing is pretty much immortal if you don't encounter any OHKO Pokemon. Just Calm Mind up to +6/+6, Rest off the damage and nothing can stop you anymore.

Never again. The luck this requires is insane.

I find it hilarious that we're already getting calls of hax, yet no mention of Quick Claw Horn Drill.

But for me, the main attraction of getting haxed by gen 4 battle tower was getting burned by Flare Blitz. Every. Single. Time.

Hazy memory, but I recall getting my Gold Symbol in Emerald long time ago. Looooong time.....

He led it with Entei, I played with Crobat, throwing Sludge Bomb which KOed it in two turns. Crobat did suicide attacks on the next Tentacruel, which is avenged by my Jolteon. The next show was out-haxing him as it was 2-1 situation.

Me in the Battle Factory:
A critical hit!
Hitmontop fainted!
Go! Raichu!
A critical hit!
Raichu fainted!
Go! Sharpedo!
It's super effective!
The foe's Leafeon was hurt by Sharpedo's Rough Skin!
Sharpedo fainted!
--Battle 21 (vs. Thorton)
Quick Claw included?

Arceus bless us that we were sent Gale Wings in this generation. Too bad it didn't exist back then.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)