Battle Spot Rhyperior

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Rhyperior was made to be a tank. Its base 115 HP coupled with its Solid Rock ability, base 130 Defense, base 55 Special Defense, and access to Assault Vest makes it one of the bulkiest Pokemon in Battle Spot Singles. Its stellar base 140 Attack lets Rhyperior deal a lot of damage to Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence, hitting them with one of its great coverage moves including STAB Earthquake, Rock Blast, and Stone Edge, as well as Superpower and Ice Punch. Rhyperior completely counters physical attacking Mega Salamence, as Rhyperior takes little damage from Double-Edge and Earthquake. Rhyperior's great offensive typing grants it a STAB EdgeQuake combo; however, it is a lackluster defensive typing, as it gives Rhyperior six weaknesses, including common types such as Fighting, Ground, and Water. Rhyperior has a 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks, and although this is reduced to 3x damage thanks to Solid Rock, Rhyperior will still be OHKOed or 2HKOed by most of them, making it very weak to Pokemon such as Azumarill, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom. Rhyperior's base 40 Speed stat makes it very slow, so it won't be outspeeding much, either.

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Blast / Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Horn Drill
ability: Solid Rock
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

Moves
========

Earthquake is a reliable STAB attack that does tons of damage coming off of Rhyperior's amazing base 140 Attack. Rock Blast is a secondary STAB attack that has the ability to break Focus Sashes and Substitutes and hit through Sturdy; however, it is fairly weak if it doesn't get at least three hits. This lets Rhyperior beat low-health Substitute Pokemon such as Volcarona or the rare Substitute Talonflame. Stone Edge, on the other hand, is more reliable in terms of power; it has a consistent 100 Base Power, but it is only 80% accurate. Ice Punch hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T, all of which take little damage from Rhyperior's STAB attacks. Ice Punch does enough damage to Gliscor to the point where it won't have enough HP left to create a Substitute. Horn Drill OHKOes bulky Pokemon that Rhyperior has trouble with, such as Cresselia, at the cost of only being 30% accurate. Megahorn does a good chunk of damage to Cresselia without having to resort to Horn Drill; however, Rhyperior only has a 21.9% chance of 2HKOing her, and, in the process, has to take damage from Rocky Helmet. Fire Punch is an option to be considered, as it 2HKOes Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. However, using it means Rhyperior has to give up either Ice Punch or Horn Drill, whose targets are Landorus-T and Cresselia, respectively, which are greater threats in Battle Spot Singles.

Set Details
========

Using an Assault Vest boosts Rhyperior's rather low Special Defense stat by 50%, giving it the ability to take special attacks, as Rhyperior can already take many physical attacks thanks to its monstrous base 130 Defense. In combination with Solid Rock, Rhyperior can survive a plethora of threatening attacks. Maximum Attack investment coupled with an Adamant nature enables Rhyperior hit as hard as possible. A Brave nature can be used instead of an Adamant nature, as it lets Rhyperior underspeed minimum Speed Aegislash, avoid giving Aegislash a Weakness Policy boost, and OHKO it with Earthquake. It also lets Rhyperior outspeed Trick Room-based Mega Mawile under Trick Room, OHKOing with Earthquake. Maximum Special Defense investment is used instead of maximum HP investment because Rhyperior can then survive threatening attacks such as +1 4 SpA Suicune's Scald, 252 SpA Modest Mega Salamence's Hydro Pump, 4 SpA Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, 252 SpA Modest Rotom-W's Hydro Pump in the sun, and 252 SpA Modest Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain. An alternate EV spread with maximum HP lets Rhyperior easier handle physical attacks from the likes of Blaziken, Mega Salamence, etc.

Usage Tips
========

Use Rhyperior's fantastic mixed bulk to take hits from Pokemon such as Mega Salamence and Cresselia, and use its even better Attack stat to retaliate with strong super effective attacks. When in doubt, against bulky Pokemon that Rhyperior can take hits from but not hit hard back, use Horn Drill to have a chance to OHKO them on the spot. Rhyperior should be used to force out physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, and Talonflame, threatening them with the appropriate coverage move. If Rhyperior is against Pokemon such as Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom, switch out, as they threaten Rhyperior with a powerful Water- or Grass-type attack.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Talonflame can switch into Grass-type attacks aimed at Rhyperior. Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss can also switch into Water-type attacks, while Talonflame can threaten opposing Grass-types with its STAB Brave Bird and can freely switch into Ground-type attacks. Zapdos provides excellent defensive synergy with Rhyperior, taking the Ground-, Steel-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Rhyperior, with Rhyperior taking the Rock-type moves aimed at Zapdos. Mega Charizard Y can beat the Steel-, Grass-, and Ice-type Pokemon that threaten Rhyperior. Its ability, Drought, sets up sun, which weakens Water-type attacks aimed at Rhyperior. Rhyperior can switch into Pokemon that threaten teammates such as Mega Charizard Y, Gyarados, Mega Salamence, Hydreigon, and Aegislash.

Other Options
########

Rhyperior can utilize its wide movepool and use attacks such as Megahorn, Hammer Arm, Superpower, Aqua Tail, or Thunder Punch. Rock Slide can be used over Rock Blast or Stone Edge, as it still retains many OHKOs or 2HKOs that the latter can achieve and has greater accuracy than both. A Choice Band or Life Orb can be used, but Rhyperior enjoys the extra Special Defense that Assault Vest provides. A Weakness Policy can be used to capitalize on Rhyperior's ability to take super effective attacks. A pure defensive set can be used, with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with an Impish nature and the moves Stealth Rock, Roar, Earthquake, and Stone Edge, holding Leftovers or Rocky Helmet, with Leftovers increasing Rhyperior's longevity and Rocky Helmet crippling physical attackers. However, it is outclassed by other defensive Pokemon and Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Aggron and Garchomp; Mega Aggron has much greater Defense and Special Defense and has access to Thunder Wave, while Garchomp has much more Speed, Rough Skin, and the ability to use items such as Focus Sash or Rocky Helmet. Smack Down is an interesting option, letting Rhyperior knock down Pokemon such as Skarmory, 2HKOing it with Earthquake. Rock Polish can be utilized to boost Rhyperior's rather low Speed stat. Dragon Tail phazes common switch-ins such as Suicune, preventing a possible unfavorable matchup. Rhyperior's bulk lets it tank hits, so Metal Burst is an option.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass- and Water-type Attacks**: Rhyperior struggles against Water- and Grass-type moves due to its large weakness to them. Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom are all examples of Pokemon that utilize them.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Though Rhyperior utilizes an Assault Vest, powerful special attackers still have to ability to OHKO or 2HKO it. Mega Charizard Y OHKOes Rhyperior with Solar Beam, and Pokemon such as Suicune, Rotom-W, and Mega Venusaur 2HKO Rhyperior.

**Physically Defensive Walls**: Rhyperior has a hard time against physically defensive Pokemon, as they can tank any one of Rhyperior's attacks. However, they have to be aware of Horn Drill if they cannot do much to Rhyperior. Pokemon such as Suicune and Cresselia can easily tank Rhyperior's attacks, but they have to watch out for Horn Drill.

Last edited:
Overview:
  • I'd mention that physical Mega Salamence is completely countered by Rhyperior, because that's very important; however, Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor are kind of annoying.
  • When you're talking about the Water- and Grass-type attacks, I'd mention specific Pokemon like Rotom-Wash, Azumarill, etc.
  • I'd be more specific in what Rhyperior's hitting with that large Attack stat! It's great to know it has a high Attack stat, but what is it hitting?
Assault Vest:
  • Moves:
    • Megahorn deserves a mention simply because it does a huge chunk to Cresselia without having to resort to Horn Drill.
    • Ice Punch, I feel, needs a little bit more expansion. It hits the 4x weak Pokemon, that's great, but I don't feel informed. Why is it better than Fire Punch or another coverage move? I think you should talk a bit more about why it's specifically better as a coverage move than over say Fire Punch or something.
  • Set Details:
    • Looks solid.
  • Usage Tips:
    • I feel this could be expanded a bit more. What specifically should Rhyperior come in on? What does it force out? What forces it out that it should worry about? Stuff like that, and battle tips for using it aside from what's currently there.
  • Team Options:
    • Again, I think expansion is in order. There are more than two good partners for Rhyperior! :p
Other Options:
  • Seems pretty good! Only thing I'd add is that Dragon Tail can force out an unfavorable matchup and /possibly/ add that Metal Burst could potentially be used. Personally, I've not used Metal Burst, but I ran into one today and it caught me off guard! Swords Dance looks like it has potential as well, but the killer Speed and weaknesses seem like a nail in the coffin, so it's probably better off not mentioned.
Checks & Counters:
  • What Grass- and Water-type attacks? From what Pokemon? Expand on this and mention which specific Pokemon of these types Rhyperior does not like.
  • What Special Attackers? Again, be specific here! The reader needs to know which Special Attackers are going to give Rhyperior trouble.
  • Once again, which defensive walls are able to take on Rhyperior? Which ones have to watch out for Horn Drill?

This looks pretty good, just needs a bit of expansion here and there.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In team options, you say that Venusaur is a common switch in, which is fair, but then you say that Mega Scizor is a good teammate since it deals with Venu. Now I know that Scizor has that cool Steel-typing so it resists the incoming Grass move, but since most Venusaur use Hidden Power Fire, is he really the best (and only one worth mentioning) choice? I would have thought the obvious option was to mention Talonflame at least. I will admit that Rhyperior + Zapdos looks to be a nice defensive core, but Zapdos doesn't even appear on the top 10 most common teammates on the PGL. Some obvious teammates to me are; Salamence, Aegislash, Hydreigon, Charizard (Y) and Gyarados. It's all good to have teammates that Rhyperior can switch into, but you also have to think of things that appreciate having Rhyperior to switch into as well.

I've had a look and Adamant is the overwhelmingly popular choice, but I'm a huge advocate of Brave. The reasoning for this is that it allows you to underspeed Quiet Aegislash, avoid activating its Weakness Policy, and OHKO it with Earthquake while it's in Blade-forme. If you move first and miss the OHKO (a 93.7% chance of doing so!), you will be KOd that turn by Flash Cannon:
  • +2, 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 265-312 (119.3 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Even if they don't pack Flash Cannon, they will still beat you with a Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak combo:
  • +2, 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Rhyperior: 177-208 (79.7 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2, 4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 52-63 (23.4 - 28.3%) -- 89.5% chance to 4HKO
Of course, using Adamant means that you can switch in to tank an attack, and fire off an Earthquake (with a small chance of KOing) before going down. If you run Brave and switch in, if you cop an attack that turn you'll get KOd on the next before you even get to do anything. So yeah, Brave wins you the 1v1 game, but Adamant gives you the ability to switch in... Maybe another QC member can chime in on this

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not exactly a Rhyperior expert (I only have a Brave Rhyperior lol), but I don't mind Brave being slashed in for the reasons cant say mentioned. It can be a cool little clutch thing against Aegislash, plus its cool if you face Mega Mawile TR teams, because outspeeding and smashing Mega Mawile can REALLY screw those teams over if they don't expect it.

Anyways I'll nitpick the rest of this right now!

Overview

-I think an important thing to place some emphasis on is that Rhyperior has a VERY poor defensive typing: weak to 7 types, including common ones like Water, Ground, and Fighting. You can say that Rhyperior is able to overcome this into viability because of sheer stats and solid rock being an awesome ability. However, it does have a pretty good offensive typing at least!

-This is more of a prose thing, but I think you could end the overview on a bit of a more positive note. Maybe something like "Rhyperior's unique selling points make it have a niche in battle spot" or something.

Moves

-Mention that Rock Blast can hit through Substitutes a bit too, which can be handy against low health substitute mons or against Volcarona and the rare Substitute Talonflame.

-Mention that Ice Punch does a ton to Gliscor. This is really cool because if you manage to Ice Punch Gliscor on the switch, it won't even have enough HP to use Substitute!

-I'd give Fire Punch a mention here instead of other options. The main reason to use Fire Punch is that it allows you to 2HKO Ferrothorn, which is handy because Ferrothorn itself will 2HKO Rhyperior with Power Whip. The main reason I'm not sure I'd give it a slash in is because it has to go over either Ice Punch (which means Landorus-T is a much bigger problem) or Horn Drill (makes stuff like Cresselia a bigger issue).

-Something to note: Stone Edge and Ice Punch do the same amount of damage vs Mega Salamence. I'd still use Ice Punch on it though because it doesn't miss :P

Other things to note

- Apparently, Superpower is currently more used than Horn Drill by like 2%. I'm guessing people are using it to hit Mega Kangaskhan harder. Your thoughts? Regardless, Horn Drill needs to stay slashed in imo, its such a great move vs defensive mons.

- Choice Band and Weakness Policy actually have usage that's closing in on Assault Vest a bit. If you've used those sets before, I don't mind if you make them sets. If you don't feel comfortable with that though, don't sweat it. Rhyperior isn't a super influential Pokemon in Battle Spot, so worst case, we can simply add Choice Band and Weakness Policy as individual sets later if they prove to be effective.

- Not sure if I'd mention Rock Wrecker in other options. It's strong as hell, but the recharge turn sounds brutal on something like assault vest.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Might be worth mentioning Special Defense investment on this thing, especially when combined with Assault Vest. Not sure about its viability since I haven't seen a lot of Rhyperior but I think it would make sense.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just got done implementing everything above.

Jibaku, I did some calculations, and I totally agree with you. It lets Rhyperior survive attacks such as 252+ SpA Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain (which is very rare!), +1 4 SpA Suicune's Scald, and 4 SpA Rotom-W's Hydro Pump (and I believe 252+ SpA Rotom-W's Hydro Pump in the sun). QC, if you want me to change it, I'll change it back to 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, but I personally prefer max SpD now.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Woah those are some impressive calcs, I sorta want to try that now o_O

Just make sure to do some calcs to make sure having min HP doesn't screw Rhyperior against some physical threats. If that's the case though, then mention both spreads.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/3

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Woah those are some impressive calcs, I sorta want to try that now o_O

Just make sure to do some calcs to make sure having min HP doesn't screw Rhyperior against some physical threats. If that's the case though, then mention both spreads.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/3
Thanks! Ready for next check.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I went and did calcs because I was curious
  • 252+ SpA Mega Salamence Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 210-249 (93.2 - 110.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Mega Salamence Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 150-177 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well OK, that looks pretty good, but does that mean you now have trouble with purely physical 'mence?
  • 252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 82-97 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 82-97 (42.9 - 50.7%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
So I guess since it's only a slim chance to 2HKO with Earthquake then I think the SpD investment looks pretty good. I suppose you could run 36 HP EVs to guarantee that you don't got 2HKOd, putting the remaining 220 into SpD, but I'm gonna agree on that the standard should be max Atk + SpD.

The only thing I could find that you lose out on VS physical threats is that you have a 50% chance of living a Waterfall from 252+ Azumarill with max HP, but it becomes a guaranteed OHKO if you do for max SpD. 50% is pretty shaky if you ask me so I wouldn't be going max HP just to give me that shot of living it.

QC Approved 2/3

Edit: I think Rocky Helmet should get a mention for the fully defensive set in OO. Anything with great physical bulk can make use of it imo

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you don't wanna clutter the moveset with too many slashes that's fine, but I think you should at least put Rock Slide in other options. It's a decent middle ground between Rock Blast and Stone Edge that still gets the KOs on the 4x weak Pokemon and some 2x ones.

Second, there's only one set here, you sure you don't want to give Choice Band or defensive their own sets? Mainly the defensive set I'm thinking, Stealth Rock and Impish have pretty decent usage (11% for SR and 18% for Impish) so it might be worth doing. It's not a half bad idea as it does make a decent check to a lot of hard hitting Flying and Normal types (and we all know we have a bunch of those). I don't use Rhyperior so much so it's honestly up to you but I'd like to hear the reasoning.

I like that you are using Horn Drill by the way.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you don't wanna clutter the moveset with too many slashes that's fine, but I think you should at least put Rock Slide in other options. It's a decent middle ground between Rock Blast and Stone Edge that still gets the KOs on the 4x weak Pokemon and some 2x ones.

Second, there's only one set here, you sure you don't want to give Choice Band or defensive their own sets? Mainly the defensive set I'm thinking, Stealth Rock and Impish have pretty decent usage (11% for SR and 18% for Impish) so it might be worth doing. It's not a half bad idea as it does make a decent check to a lot of hard hitting Flying and Normal types (and we all know we have a bunch of those). I don't use Rhyperior so much so it's honestly up to you but I'd like to hear the reasoning.

I like that you are using Horn Drill by the way.
imo it's just a bad idea. now stealth rock and impish are 9.8% and 12.3% (4/7/15) respectively, and there are better stealth rock setters (garchomp, mega aggron, etc) who just do it better. yeah it has a good defense stat and all but pretty much any rhyperior set is a decent check to normal and flying types. rhyperior also shouldn't use focus sash (garchomp) has a REALLY low SpD compared to mega aggron, and less defense too, well a lot less kind of. mega aggron also has way better defensive typing and both garchomp and mega aggron are better leads in general. rough skin is basically a rocky helmet, and garchomp can run rocky helmet, so yeah...plus it's faster and has a setup move in swords dance... Anyways I don't feel the need to add it because it's outclassed by so much stuff

about choice band-should I slash it after assault vest and rename it "Offensive"? then provide the ev spread you should use for choice band, the usage tips for it, all that good stuff. I'd also slash superpower after horn drill if you want me to do this, but I digress. Choice band just doesn't cut it either

thanks

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
imo it's just a bad idea. now stealth rock and impish are 9.8% and 12.3% (4/7/15) respectively, and there are better stealth rock setters (garchomp, mega aggron, etc) who just do it better. yeah it has a good defense stat and all but pretty much any rhyperior set is a decent check to normal and flying types. rhyperior also shouldn't use focus sash (garchomp) has a REALLY low SpD compared to mega aggron, and less defense too, well a lot less kind of. mega aggron also has way better defensive typing and both garchomp and mega aggron are better leads in general. rough skin is basically a rocky helmet, and garchomp can run rocky helmet, so yeah...plus it's faster and has a setup move in swords dance... Anyways I don't feel the need to add it because it's outclassed by so much stuff

about choice band-should I slash it after assault vest and rename it "Offensive"? then provide the ev spread you should use for choice band, the usage tips for it, all that good stuff. I'd also slash superpower after horn drill if you want me to do this, but I digress. Choice band just doesn't cut it either

thanks
Choice Band should get its own set rather than just a slash, if it gets a set at all, for the reasons you stated (having different EVs, usage tips, moves, etc.). It's your call whether or not you wanna make the set though.

Good point about the defensive set, I think you should add that to the other options section, explaining why Defensive sets can be outclassed by other Pokemon and how it doesn't need that much defensive investment.

Other than that it looks good to me, I'm pretty tired so I don't have much to say, sorry if I missed anything!

After you do this it's QC 3/3

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SM979

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Rhyperior was made to be a tank. Its base 115 HP stat, coupled with its Solid Rock ability, base 130 Defense, base 55 Special Defense, and access to Assault Vest makes it one of the bulkiest Pokemon in Battle Spot Singles. Its stellar base 140 Attack stat lets Rhyperior deal a lot of damage against Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence, hitting them with one of its great coverage moves including STAB Earthquake, Rock Blast, and Stone Edge, as well as Superpower and Ice Punch. Rhyperior completely counters physical attacking Mega Salamence, as Rhyperior takes little damage from Double-Edge and Earthquake. Variants with Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump, however, can be a problem. Rhyperior's great offensive typing grants it with a STAB EdgeQuake combo; however, it is a lackluster defensive typing, as it gives Rhyperior six weaknesses, including common types such as Fighting, Ground, and Water. It Rhyperior has a 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks, and although it this is reduced to 3x damage thanks to Solid Rock, Rhyperior will still be OHKOed or 2HKOed by most of them, making it very weak to Pokemon such as Azumarill, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom. Rhyperior's base 40 Speed stat makes it very slow, so it won't be outspeeding much, either.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is a reliable STAB attack that does tons of damage coming off of Rhyperior's amazing 140 base Attack stat. Rock Blast is a secondary STAB attack that has the ability to break Focus Sashes and Substitutes and hit through Sturdy; however, it is fairly weak if it doesn't get at least three hits. This lets Rhyperior beat low-health Substitute Pokemon such as Volcarona or the rare Substitute Talonflame. Stone Edge, on the other hand, is more reliable in terms of power; it has a consistent 100 Base Power, but is only 80% accurate. Ice Punch hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T, all of which take little damage from Rhyperior's STAB attacks. It Ice Punch does enough damage to Gliscor to the point where it won't have enough HP left to create a Substitute. Horn Drill OHKOes bulky Pokemon that Rhyperior has trouble with, such as Cresselia, at the cost of only being 30% accurate. Megahorn does a good chunk of damage to Cresselia without having to resort to Horn Drill; however, Rhyperior only has a 21.9% chance of 2HKOing her, and, in the process, has to take damage from Rocky Helmet. Fire Punch is an option to be considered, as it 2HKOes Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. (period) However, using it means Rhyperior has to give up either Ice Punch or Horn Drill, whose targets are Landorus-T and Cresselia, respectively, who are greater threats in Battle Spot Singles.

Set Details
========

Using an Assault Vest boosts Rhyperior's rather low Special Defense stat by 50%, giving it the ability to take special attacks, as Rhyperior can already take many physical attacks thanks to its monstrous base 130 Defense stat. In combination with Solid Rock, Rhyperior can survive a plethora of threatening attacks. Maximum Attack investment coupled with an Adamant nature enables Rhyperior hit as hard as possible. A Brave nature can be used instead of an Adamant nature, as it lets Rhyperior underspeed minimum Speed Aegislash, avoiding giving Aegislash receives a Weakness Policy boost, and OHKOing it with Earthquake. It also lets Rhyperior outspeed Trick Room-based Mega Mawile under Trick Room, OHKOing with with, again, Earthquake. Maximum Special Defense investment is used instead of maximum HP investment because Rhyperior can then survive threatening attacks such as +1 4 SpA Suicune's Scald, 252 SpA Modest Mega Salamence's Hydro Pump, 4 SpA Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, 252 SpA Modest Rotom-W's Hydro Pump in the sun, and 252 SpA Modest Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain, all with the help of Solid Rock and Assault Vest. An alternate EV spread with maximum HP lets Rhyperior easier handle Pokemon physical attacks from the likes of Blaziken, physical Mega Salamence, etc.

Usage Tips
========

Use Rhyperior's fantastic mixed bulk to take hits from Pokemon such as Mega Salamence and Cresselia, and use its even better Attack stat to retaliate with strong super effective attacks. When in doubt, against bulky Pokemon that Rhyperior can take hits from but not hit hard back, use Horn Drill to have a chance to OHKO them on the spot. Rhyperior should be used to force out physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, and Talonflame, threatening them with the appropriate coverage move. If Rhyperior is against Pokemon such as Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom, switch out, as they threaten Rhyperior with a powerful Water- or Grass-type attack.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can switch into Water- and Grass-type attacks, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, are helpful because Rhyperior has trouble with Water- and Grass-types them. Talonflame gets the job done. Zapdos provides excellent defense synergy with Rhyperior, taking the Ground-, Steel-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Rhyperior, and with Rhyperior taking the Rock-type moves aimed at Zapdos. Mega Charizard Y can beat the Steel-, Grass-, and Ice-type Pokemon that threaten Rhyperior. Its ability, Drought, sets up sun, which weakens Water-type attacks aimed at Rhyperior. Rhyperior can switch into Pokemon that threaten Pokemon teammates such as Mega Charizard Y, Gyarados, Mega Salamence, Hydreigon, and Aegislash. Is this list of Pokemon the teammates, or the pokemon rhyperior can switch into? If the second, it needs to be reordered

Other Options
########

Rhyperior can utilize its wide movepool and use attacks such as Megahorn, Hammer Arm, Superpower, Aqua Tail, or Thunder Punch. Rock Slide can be used over Rock Blast or Stone Edge, as it still retains many OHKOs or 2HKOs that the latter can achieve, (RC) and has greater accuracy than both. A Choice Band or Life Orb can be used, but Rhyperior enjoys the extra Special Defense that Assault Vest provides. A Weakness Policy can be used to capitalize on Rhyperior's ability to take super effective attacks, (RC) and retaliate with strong attacks. A pure defensive set can be used, with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with an Impish nature and the moves Stealth Rock, Roar, Earthquake, and Stone Edge, holding Leftovers or Rocky Helmet, with Leftovers increasing Rhyperior's longevity and Rocky Helmet crippling physical attackers. However, it is outclassed by other defensive Pokemon and Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Aggron and Garchomp; Mega Aggron has much greater Defense and Special Defense and has access to Thunder Wave, while Garchomp has much more Speed, Rough Skin (which acts similar to Rocky Helmet) and can use items like Focus Sash or Rocky Helmet. Smack Down is an interesting option, letting it Rhyperior knock down Pokemon such as Skarmory, 2HKOing it with Earthquake. Rock Polish can be utilized to boost Rhyperior's rather low Speed stat. Dragon Tail phazes out common switch-ins such as Suicune, preventing a possible unfavorable matchup. Rhyperior's bulk lets it tank hits, so Metal Burst is an option. It retaliates the foe with 1.5x the amount of damage they dealt to Rhyperior.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass- and Water-type Attacks**: Rhyperior struggles against Water- and Grass-type moves due to its large weakness to them. Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom are all examples of Pokemon who utilize them.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Though Rhyperior utilizes an Assault Vest, powerful special attackers still have to ability to OHKO or 2HKO it. Mega Charizard Y OHKOes Rhyperior with Solar Beam, and Pokemon such as Suicune, Rotom-W, and Mega Venusaur 2HKO Rhyperior.

**Physically Defensive Walls**: Rhyperior has a hard time against physically defensive Pokemon, as they can tank any one of Rhyperior's attacks. However, they have to be aware of Horn Drill if they cannot do much to Rhyperior. Pokemon such as Suicune and Cresselia can easily tank Rhyperior's attacks, but have to watch out for Horn Drill.

1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2 \o/

Overview
########

Rhyperior was made to be a tank. Its base 115 HP, (remove comma, or add one after "access to Assault Vest") coupled with its Solid Rock ability, base 130 Defense, base 55 Special Defense, and access to Assault Vest makes it one of the bulkiest Pokemon in Battle Spot Singles. Its stellar base 140 Attack lets Rhyperior deal a lot of damage against to (phrase is "deal damage to", but I get what you're saying so that's fine too) Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence, hitting them with one of its great coverage moves including STAB Earthquake, Rock Blast, and Stone Edge, as well as Superpower and Ice Punch. Rhyperior completely counters physical attacking Mega Salamence, as Rhyperior takes little damage from Double-Edge and Earthquake. Rhyperior's great offensive typing grants it a STAB EdgeQuake combo; however, it is a lackluster defensive typing, as it gives Rhyperior six weaknesses, including to common types such as Fighting, Ground, and Water. Rhyperior has a 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks, and although this is reduced to 3x damage thanks to Solid Rock, Rhyperior will still be OHKOed or 2HKOed by most of them, making it very weak to Pokemon such as Azumarill, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom. Rhyperior's base 40 Speed stat makes it very slow, so it won't be outspeeding much, either.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is a reliable STAB attack that does tons of damage coming off of Rhyperior's amazing 140 base 140 Attack. Rock Blast is a secondary STAB attack that has the ability to break Focus Sashes and Substitutes and hit through Sturdy; however, it is fairly weak if it doesn't get at least three hits. This lets Rhyperior beat low-health Substitute Pokemon such as Volcarona or the rare Substitute Talonflame. Stone Edge, on the other hand, is more reliable in terms of power; it has a consistent 100 Base Power, but it is only 80% accurate. Ice Punch hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T, all of which take little damage from Rhyperior's STAB attacks. Ice Punch does enough damage to Gliscor to the point where it won't have enough HP left to create a Substitute. Horn Drill OHKOes bulky Pokemon that Rhyperior has trouble with, such as Cresselia, at the cost of only being 30% accurate. Megahorn does a good chunk of damage to Cresselia without having to resort to Horn Drill; however, Rhyperior only has a 21.9% chance of 2HKOing her, and, in the process, has to take damage from Rocky Helmet. Fire Punch is an option to be considered, as it 2HKOes Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. However, using it means Rhyperior has to give up either Ice Punch or Horn Drill, whose targets are Landorus-T and Cresselia, respectively, who which are greater threats in Battle Spot Singles.

Set Details
========

Using an Assault Vest boosts Rhyperior's rather low Special Defense stat by 50%, giving it the ability to take special attacks, as Rhyperior can already take many physical attacks thanks to its monstrous base 130 Defense. In combination with Solid Rock, Rhyperior can survive a plethora of threatening attacks. Maximum Attack investment coupled with an Adamant nature enables Rhyperior hit as hard as possible. A Brave nature can be used instead of an Adamant nature, as it lets Rhyperior underspeed minimum Speed Aegislash, avoid giving Aegislash a Weakness Policy boost, and OHKO it with Earthquake. It also lets Rhyperior outspeed Trick Room-based Mega Mawile under Trick Room, OHKOing with Earthquake. Maximum Special Defense investment is used instead of maximum HP investment because Rhyperior can then survive threatening attacks such as +1 4 SpA Suicune's Scald, 252 SpA Modest Mega Salamence's Hydro Pump, 4 SpA Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, 252 SpA Modest Rotom-W's Hydro Pump in the sun, and 252 SpA Modest Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain. An alternate EV spread with maximum HP lets Rhyperior easier handle physical attacks from the likes of Blaziken, Mega Salamence, etc.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can switch into Water- and Grass-type attacks, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, are helpful because Rhyperior has trouble with Water- and Grass-types. Talonflame gets the job done.

(the above is kinda confusing. are Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss (1) examples of Pokemon that can switch into Water/Grass attacks, or (2) examples of Pokemon that use Grass attacks? with the commas around them, it sounds like (1). anyways, if it is (1), then they should be grouped with Talonflame, which I'm assuming is an example of a Pokemon that can switch into Grass...and...apparently Water moves? but if it's (2), well, they're not attacks, they're Pokemon.)

Zapdos provides excellent defensive synergy with Rhyperior, taking the Ground-, Steel-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Rhyperior, with Rhyperior taking the Rock-type moves aimed at Zapdos. Mega Charizard Y can beat the Steel-, Grass-, and Ice-type Pokemon that threaten Rhyperior. Its ability, Drought, sets up sun, which weakens Water-type attacks aimed at Rhyperior. Rhyperior can switch into Pokemon that threaten teammates such as Mega Charizard Y, Gyarados, Mega Salamence, Hydreigon, and Aegislash.

Other Options
########

Rhyperior can utilize its wide movepool and use attacks such as Megahorn, Hammer Arm, Superpower, Aqua Tail, or Thunder Punch. Rock Slide can be used over Rock Blast or Stone Edge, as it still retains many OHKOs or 2HKOs that the latter can achieve and has greater accuracy than both. A Choice Band or Life Orb can be used, but Rhyperior enjoys the extra Special Defense that Assault Vest provides. A Weakness Policy can be used to capitalize on Rhyperior's ability to take super effective attacks. A pure defensive set can be used, with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with an Impish nature and the moves Stealth Rock, Roar, Earthquake, and Stone Edge, holding Leftovers or Rocky Helmet, with Leftovers increasing Rhyperior's longevity and Rocky Helmet crippling physical attackers. However, it is outclassed by other defensive Pokemon and Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Aggron and Garchomp; Mega Aggron has much greater Defense and Special Defense and has access to Thunder Wave, while Garchomp has much more Speed, Rough Skin, and the ability to use items such as and can use items like Focus Sash or Rocky Helmet. Smack Down is an interesting option, letting Rhyperior knock down Pokemon such as Skarmory, 2HKOing it with Earthquake. Rock Polish can be utilized to boost Rhyperior's rather low Speed stat. Dragon Tail phazes out common switch-ins such as Suicune, preventing a possible unfavorable matchup. Rhyperior's bulk lets it tank hits, so Metal Burst is an option.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass- and Water-type Attacks**: Rhyperior struggles against Water- and Grass-type moves due to its large weakness to them. Suicune, Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom are all examples of Pokemon who that utilize them.

**Physically Defensive Walls**: Rhyperior has a hard time against physically defensive Pokemon, as they can tank any one of Rhyperior's attacks. However, they have to be aware of Horn Drill if they cannot do much to Rhyperior. Pokemon such as Suicune and Cresselia can easily tank Rhyperior's attacks, but they have to watch out for Horn Drill.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
P Squared

"Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Talonflame can switch into Grass-type attacks aimed at Rhyperior. Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss can also switch into Water-type attacks, while Talonflame can threaten opposing Grass-types with its STAB Brave Bird and can freely switch into Ground-type attacks."

check this please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)