The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So I've got a DH team in mind this round, but I'm curious how this will work with the suspect ladder, since the suspect ends in a couple of days IIRC. I guess I can build it and play with it now on the suspect ladder, and if we have to restart when the regular ladder comes on, then so be it.

EDIT: OK, I'm in with Fletchinder and Feraligatr. Right now I'm using a team with Magneton (third DH technically, but I'm not sure I'll keep it), Sceptile, Vaporeon and Forretress, but the meat of the team may change down the road.

Using the alt "little sebastian."

Last edited:
Alright, have my final team. Laddering under the name DHTwilight, and my team is Flygon, Feraligatr, Alakazam, Toxicroak, Pidgeot, and Darmanitan.

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just hit C-rank with a 19-2 record: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-216264607

I'm pretty happy with my horses, Fletch and Gatr, but I've got some issues with this team overall despite the solid record. I definitely plan to tinker with it a bit more. I've got a couple of alternate versions of the team kicking around that I might switch to once I play with them a bit more, but for now I'm just working on getting a feel for how Fletch and Gatr play together.

Completely scrapped my old team. Restarting with sceptile, vaporeon, gligar, entei, slurpuff, and bronzong. Realized that my old team had absolutely no defense mons... :P.

What moveset would you guys recommend on bronzong? I have reflect, light screen, gyro ball, and confuse ray (filler) currently. I don't want to run stealth rock, explosion on it, since my gligar runs defog. Any suggestions?

What moveset would you guys recommend on bronzong? I have reflect, light screen, gyro ball, and confuse ray (filler) currently. I don't want to run stealth rock, explosion on it, since my gligar runs defog. Any suggestions?
Don't run Confuse Ray, there's literally better moves for it to run. Personally, I want to smack people across the head who run Confuse Ray lol

But, based on your team, I don't really see too much why Bronzong was chosen. Screens is helpful, but Zong is weak to Knock Off and Taunt from most mons. I think you'd personally be better off with something else differently, especially to check Nidos better. But, if you want to try Zong, then go completely bananas and try a SubCM set.

Bronzong@Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp Def
Bold Nature (+Def/-Atk) 0 Atk IVs
Levitate
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Flash Cannon

67/116/116 defenses are OK and actually let it be able to set up on a few mons; Nidos not carrying Fire Blast, CroCune (calc below. it can never break your sub letting you win the CM war), mons not named Haxorus locked into EQ, Crobat, Tyrantrum, etc..

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 70-84 (20.7 - 24.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sub is mainly there to cushion any blows that Zong will have to deal with and to stop the annoying status (burn, para, sleep). Psyshock lets you beat Blissey, but please keep in mind that Seismic Toss will break your sub every time.

If you do want to switch, you could try RP Tyrantrum, NP Cofagrigus, etc.. I think a sweeper in this position would be ideal

Count me in for this month:

Fresh Alt: AngryBird1088

Fletchinder 0.66
Slowking 1.88
Goodra 4.61
Chesnaught 7.20
Empoleon 10.90
Umbreon 8.48

Total: 33.73%

User: angrybird1088
This user has not played any ladder games yet.

Edit:

Changing team up a bit. Lucario eats through my team like it's nobody's business...

Aromatisse: 1.49
Chesnaught: 7.20
Empoleon: 10.90
Tyrantrum: 1.37
Slowking: 1.88

Snorlax: 5.11

Total: 27.95

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Don't run Confuse Ray, there's literally better moves for it to run. Personally, I want to smack people across the head who run Confuse Ray lol

But, based on your team, I don't really see too much why Bronzong was chosen. Screens is helpful, but Zong is weak to Knock Off and Taunt from most mons. I think you'd personally be better off with something else differently, especially to check Nidos better. But, if you want to try Zong, then go completely bananas and try a SubCM set.
I agree that Confuse Ray is a bad idea, but what reason is there for running SubCM Bronzong instead of of SubCM Cresselia, who has far better overall stats for it?

In general the best last move on Double Screens Bronzong is Explosion, so you can safely bring in a set-up sweeper to take advantage of your screens. In this instance, you could set up screens, Explode, and get a safe switch-in for Slurpuff to set up a BD sweep.

That said... are you implying that you aren't running rocks at all on your team because of the fact that you're using Defog on Gligar? I.... highly recommend having rocks somewhere on your team. It is far and away the most damaging move in the game, and any remotely offensive team really needs it.

Last edited:
I know you said you didn't want it, but Explosion is pretty nice because it lets you safely switch to a teammate to take advantage of your

I agree that Confuse Ray is a bad idea, but what reason is there for running SubCM Bronzong instead of of SubCM Cresselia, who has far better overall stats for it?

In general the best last move on Double Screens Bronzong is Explosion, so you can safely bring in a set-up sweeper to take advantage of your screens. In this instance, you could set up screens, Explode, and get a safe switch-in for Slurpuff to set up a BD sweep.

That said... are you implying that you aren't running rocks at all on your team because of the fact that you're using Defog on Gligar? I.... highly recommend having rocks somewhere on your team. It is far and away the most damaging move in the game, and any remotely offensive team really needs it.
he only has 1.47% usage left for this team. Have you seen what's below 1.47%? You can't even use Aromatisse or Zoroark. Cress had 4.35%. So, unless he wants to get rid of a different mon, then he only has a little to play with. But, Cress would 100% be a perfect spot for this team. I suppose he could drop Entei for Arcanine and get the 4% difference to use Cress.

he only has 1.47% usage left for this team. Have you seen what's below 1.47%? You can't even use Aromatisse or Zoroark. Cress had 4.35%. So, unless he wants to get rid of a different mon, then he only has a little to play with. But, Cress would 100% be a perfect spot for this team. I suppose he could drop Entei for Arcanine and get the 4% difference to use Cress.
I was thinking of doing that, but I just find entei superior to offensive arcanine in every way.

Alright, I'll take that into account. Running rocks then, I'll see how it goes. Bronzong is really kind of filler. Do you guys have any other ideas for mons I could replace it with? It isn't doing badly, but it is kind of out of place on my team. Like Patrick said, I'm pretty limited by my percentages.

Alright, I'll take that into account. Running rocks then, I'll see how it goes. Bronzong is really kind of filler. Do you guys have any other ideas for mons I could replace it with? It isn't doing badly, but it is kind of out of place on my team. Like Patrick said, I'm pretty limited by my percentages.
What kind of set are you running on Sceptile? Have you tried Dragalgae before? I'm assuming you are running 4 attacks or sub + 3 attacks, or SubSeed or some special variant. If you try switching from Scept to Drag, you actually gain 2.02%, which will give you about 3.5% to play with for that Bronzong slot. These options could include CM + 3 attacks Cobalion (trust me, it's viable with Focus Blast/Flash Cannon/HP Ground) or SubSalac variants as well (gives your team Knock Off absorber as well), Reuniclus, SubRoost Kyurem, CM Slowking (fantastic mon IMO).

I personally think switching Scept to Drag and giving yourself either Kyurem or King would be ideal. Both can check the nidos and love hazard support from Gligar (removal in Kyurem's case and addition in Slowking's case).

What kind of set are you running on Sceptile? Have you tried Dragalgae before? I'm assuming you are running 4 attacks or sub + 3 attacks, or SubSeed or some special variant. If you try switching from Scept to Drag, you actually gain 2.02%, which will give you about 3.5% to play with for that Bronzong slot. These options could include CM + 3 attacks Cobalion (trust me, it's viable with Focus Blast/Flash Cannon/HP Ground) or SubSalac variants as well (gives your team Knock Off absorber as well), Reuniclus, SubRoost Kyurem, CM Slowking (fantastic mon IMO).

I personally think switching Scept to Drag and giving yourself either Kyurem or King would be ideal. Both can check the nidos and love hazard support from Gligar (removal in Kyurem's case and addition in Slowking's case).
Alright, thanks for the advice :). I'll think it over. Running leaf storm, dragon pulse, focus blast, and giga drain on sceptile.

Alright, thanks for the advice :). I'll think it over. Running leaf storm, dragon pulse, focus blast, and giga drain on sceptile.
Ob def try drag then! Adaptability lets it hit that much harder combined with specs. And its ability to absorb t spikes and resist fightig, fire, water, grass and electric moves is cool!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
There just doesn't seem to be much activity this month. I blame UUPL, personally. Maybe things will pick up a bit next month...

There just doesn't seem to be much activity this month. I blame UUPL, personally. Maybe things will pick up a bit next month...
And the Serp suspect vote along with the No Scald ladder. I gave up this month. Every variation of DH i came up with were just garbage.

Hopefully... I like this thread. Someone needs to update the front page as well, we're still on last month.

First post, long time lurker but I feel like I should contribute my decently successful dark horse team. Reached over 1500+ on the ladder and counting with this team. I consider it a bulky offence style, and yes...the bulk is real!

Granbull @ Leftovers. 0.8%
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Snorlax @ Leftovers. 5.4%
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Black Sludge. 1.4%
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes
- Fire Blast

Abomasnow @ Abomasite. 1.2%
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Empoleon @ Leftovers. 9.7%
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Machamp @ Assault Vest. 9.6%
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Total = 28.1

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-219066755

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-218981391

Is there a place where we can find the usage stats for March or has it not been posted yet? I need motivation for team building!

Is there a place where we can find the usage stats for March or has it not been posted yet? I need motivation for team building!
It usually takes a few dayz to dump all the data. By Tuesday, it should be up. Ypu can look at last month to start getting ideas. Outside of Serp and Scald, nothing was suspected or tested. Theybwere on separate ladders, too. You can expect suicune, crobat beedrill, forry at the top as usual. Below 4% you can see Aromatisse, Tyrantrum, etc..

The only other worthy thing to mention going up Gatr and possibly Granbull to check Mence.

I expect we'll lose Abomasnow and possibly Kyurem as Dark Horse candidates as well. Maybe its just the type of teams I tend to make but I find Abomasnow to be an absolute terror.

CoolStoryBrobat March stats are up...

Here's my team with DH in bold.

Tyrantrum: 1.77%
Aromatisse: 0.62%

Porygon2: 5.26%
Cresselia: 5.05%
Ampharos: 6.23%
Gligar: 5.99%

Total: 24.97%

Fresh Alt: DuckFace1088

User: duckface1088
This user has not played any ladder games yet.

Edit:

Deciding to go more offensive....

Cobalion: 2.15
Noivern: 2.88

Cresselia: 5.05
Forretress: 18.52
Banette: 0.77
Braviary: 0.33

Total: 29.7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)