Battle Spot Excadrill

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hans Moleman

QC: { Theorymon / DragonWhale / Jibaku }
GP: { GatoDelFuego / The Dutch Plumberjack }
Overview
########

Excadrill is backed by a great Attack stat, solid typing, and access to two fantastic abilities in Mold Breaker and Sand Rush; the former allows easier spam of its STAB Earthquake, allowing it to hit Levitate users such as Rotom-W, Gengar, Latios, and Hydreigon, while the latter gives it tremendous Speed during a sandstorm, allowing Excadrill to outspeed the entire metagame and potentially sweep unprepared teams. On the defensive side, Excadrill has mediocre bulk, meaning it has a hard time switching in against powerful attackers. Additionally, because Excadrill is weak to common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, it is fairly easy to pick off. However, due to its Steel / Ground typing, Excadrill can take advantage of a predicted Thunder Wave or Toxic and switch in for free. Excadrill's most powerful attribute, being one of the fastest Pokemon in the game during a sandstorm, is severely hindered by its poor defensive synergy with Tyranitar and Hippowdon, the only two Pokemon with access to Sand Stream, as they are all weak to Water moves and Excadrill also shares a Ground and Fighting weakness with Tyranitar. For this reason, Excadrill best works as a revenge killer by making use of its great Speed while holding a Choice Scarf and using its powerful Earthquake to finish off a weakened team.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Horn Drill / Fissure
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's most powerful STAB move and is more reliable due to Mold Breaker ignoring the ability Levitate and allowing Excadrill to hit Pokemon that possess it, the most notable of which is Rotom-W, which would otherwise counter this set. Excadrill can also outspeed Gengar and OHKO it with Earthquake. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB move and is notable in being able to flinch the opponent, which works great when combined with a Choice Scarf. It also hits Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Togekiss for super effective damage. Rock Slide gives great neutral coverage with Earthquake (RC) and allows Excadrill to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Gyarados super effectively, which avoid Earthquake and don't mind an Iron Head. Horn Drill and Fissure are 30% accurate OHKO moves and can act as a last-resort option against Pokemon that Excadrill cannot KO with any of its other moves. Horn Drill is the preferred option, as it hits everything except Ghost-types; however, the most common Ghosts in Battle Spot are Aegislash and Gengar, and they are both hit hard by Earthquake anyway. Notable Pokemon that are hit by Fissure include Sableye and Jellicent, so the choice is up to you. Another benefit of Mold Breaker is that Excadrill can hit Pokemon with the ability Sturdy with its OHKO move; these include Skarmory and Donphan.

Set Details
========

An offensive EV spread is used to maximize Excadrill's Speed with a Choice Scarf and give it as much power as possible. The Choice Scarf is chosen to give Excadrill the jump on faster Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, (Mega) Gengar, Choice Scarf Chandelure, Greninja, Raikou, and Mega Lucario and KO them with Earthquake. Adamant is the preferred nature, as it gives Excadrill some additional power to use alongside the Speed that the Choice Scarf provides; however, a Jolly nature can be used instead to get the jump on neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon at +1, including Mega Charizard X, Mega Blaziken, and Volcarona, and KO them with the appropriate move.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Excadrill works best as a revenge killer, utilizing its high Speed and powerful Earthquake to finish off weakened teams. Leading with it might put you in an unfavorable matchup, forcing you to sacrifice it or switch out, both of which give your opponent momentum. Even though Excadrill's Attack stat is quite high, it is unable to OHKO bulkier threats at full health and its mediocre bulk leaves it susceptible to being KOed back or severely weakened in the process, so getting prior damage on the opponent's team will allow Excadrill to come in and easily finish them off. This also allows you to scout the opposing team for Flying-types, which are immune to Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Due to Excadrill's ability to take out Electric-types as well as his 4x resistance to Rock moves, it makes a great partner for Pokemon such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Pinsir, and Togekiss. Excadrill desperately needs help getting past bulky Water- and Ground-types, so bringing a Grass-type such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Sceptile, Roserade, or Serperior is a good idea. Excadrill can also help them by revenge killing the Fire- and Flying-types that give them trouble.

Sand Sweeper
########
name: Sand Sweeper
move 4: Swords Dance
ability: Sand Rush
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's strongest move and main sweeping tool. Earthquake hits key threats such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Charizard X. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB option; it works well with the Speed boost of Sand Rush, as it can pull off clutch flinches. Its main targets are Togekiss, Sylveon, and Mamoswine. Rock Slide gives great coverage alongside Earthquake and can also make foes flinch. It works great against Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, as they are all immune to Earthquake and resist Iron Head. Swords Dance gives a tremendous boost to Excadrill's Attack stat, and when paired with the insane Speed provided by Sand Rush, it allows Excadrill to sweep teams.

Set Details
========

Maximize Excadrill's Attack and Speed for optimum sweeping potential; the remaining 4 EVs go into Defense, as it is preferred to have an odd HP stat when using a Life Orb to minimize the recoil Excadrill receives from it. Life Orb gives a 30% boost to Excadrill's attacks at the cost of 10% HP; this gives Excadrill a much-needed increase in power while also allowing flexibility with its move choices. Excadrill doesn't like taking hits in the first place, so the recoil from the Life Orb isn't too much of an issue. Azumarill can pick Excadrill off with Aqua Jet after two rounds of Life Orb recoil, though, so watch out for that. An Earth Plate or Soft Sand can be used instead to keep Earthquake hitting hard and prevent recoil, at the cost of losing a lot of power to Excadrill's other moves. Adamant is the preferred nature, as it gives Excadrill extra power and it still outspeeds everything in the tier that hasn't boosted its own Speed. Jolly is also an option to stop Timid Trace Gardevoir from coming in, outspeeding Excadrill, and OHKOing it with Focus Blast. It also allows Excadrill to get the jump on Jolly Mega Salamence after a Dragon Dance, Adamant Sharpedo after two Speed boosts, Swift Swim Kingdra in rain, and Adamant Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken after two boosts.

Usage Tips
========

Sand Rush Excadrill needs an active sandstorm to make use of its fantastic Speed stat, so bring it in once you have set it up. Pokemon such as Azumarill and Conkeldurr can bypass Sand Rush and KO Excadrill with some prior damage with their super effective priority moves, so eliminating these is a top priority. Using Swords Dance can give Excadrill an enormous boost to its attacks, but it uses a valuable turn of sandstorm to set up and also leaves Excadrill vulnerable to being attacked. Only use it if you are matched up against a Pokemon that is likely to switch out and you know you can afford the turn of sandstorm. Switching Excadrill in on Electric-types such as Thundurus and Raikou is your best chance to set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Bringing either a Tyranitar or Hippowdon is mandatory to set up the sandstorm necessary for Excadrill to abuse Sand Rush. The problem with them is that they share weaknesses with Excadrill including Water, Fighting, and Ground. You also need a teammate that can easily take care of Azumarill, which is probably Sand Rush Excadrill's biggest threat. Venusaur and Roserade work well, as they resist Excadrill's - as well as Tyranitar's or Hippowdon's - weaknesses and can also deal with Azumarill well. Serperior can also come in and start setting up Leaf Storm boosts against most things that threaten Excadrill's sweep. Latias and Latios make for good partners, as they resist Water and Fighting while being immune to Ground thanks to Levitate, while Excadrill resists their Dragon, Fairy, and Bug weaknesses. They can also manually set up sandstorm, while Latias can even use Healing Wish to get Excadrill in safely and also heal it in the process.

Versatile Attacker
########
name: Versatile Attacker
move 3: Rock Slide / Rock Tomb
move 4: Swords Dance / Stealth Rock / Horn Drill
item: Focus Sash / Air Balloon / Assault Vest
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's most powerful STAB option, utilizes Mold Breaker by hitting Levitate users such as Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Gengar for super effective damage, and hits key threats such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard X, and Heatran for super effective damage. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB option and offers valuable super effective coverage against Pokemon such as Sylveon, Togekiss, Clefable, and Mamoswine. The choice between Rock Slide and Rock Tomb is personal preference: Rock Slide has more power, while Rock Tomb sports slightly better accuracy and drops the target's Speed by one stage, which can allow Excadrill to outspeed a faster opponent on the next turn or allow a teammate to come in and outspeed it. It also makes revenge killing much easier. Swords Dance offers a significant increase in power and allows Excadrill to power past bulky Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, Ferrothorn, and Aegislash. Stealth Rock provides entry hazard support, which helps break enemy Focus Sashes while also taking a chunk out of Charizard and Talonflame. It also works great with Mold Breaker, as Magic Bounce users such as Espeon and Mega Absol can't reflect it.

Set Details
========
An offensive EV spread is used to give Excadrill as much power and Speed as possible, with the remaining EVs put into Special Defense to ensure Excadrill survives a Focus Blast from Mega Gengar when equipped with an Assault Vest. An Adamant nature is preferred over Jolly to give Excadrill a boost to its attacks, guaranteeing the OHKO on Mamoswine and Mega Manectric (accounting for Intimidate); on the other hand, Jolly gets the jump on neutral-natured base 100 speed Pokemon such as unboosted Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Entei. A Focus Sash is the preferred item, as it allows Excadrill to avoid an OHKO and be left with 1HP, meaning it can either get in an attack before going down or to ensure that Stealth Rock gets set up. An Air Balloon makes Excadrill immune to Ground attacks, namely Earthquake, and forces the opponent to use a weaker move to pop the Air Balloon. This is especially helpful against Pokemon such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence, although Excadrill shouldn't be trying to fight them anyway. An Assault Vest cannot be used with either Swords Dance or Stealth Rock, which is why Horn Drill is used in the fourth slot. Assault Vest notably allows Excadrill to survive a Hydro Pump from defensive Rotom-W and Focus Blast from offensive Mega Gengar, while Excadrill can KO both with Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========

Excadrill needs to avoid switching in, as taking an attack will break its Focus Sash or pop its Air Balloon, which is why this set works best as a lead. From the lead position, Excadrill can easily set up Stealth Rock and then either switch out or start attacking. If using an Air Balloon, you can make use of predicted Earthquakes to switch Excadrill in for free. Beware of Fake Out users such as Mega Lopunny, Infernape, Mega Medicham, and Mienshao, as they can all break Excadrill's Focus Sash with Fake Out and proceed to KO it with a super effective move. You can also take advantage of Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, and Thundurus to switch in on a Thunder Wave or Toxic and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that enjoy Stealth Rock support to either discourage Talonflame switching in or have the opposing Pokemon's Focus Sashes being broken to aid their sweep make for good partners to this set; these include Greninja and Blaziken. Venusaur can help Excadrill deal with Azumarill and Breloom, while it appreciates having Excadrill to take out Talonflame.

Other Options
########

You can forego Swords Dance on the Sand Rush set and opt for setting up your own sandstorm if needed; however, this faces the same issues as using Swords Dance in that it gives the opponent a free turn to get in a check or potentially cripple Excadrill. Magnet Rise can be used alongside an Air Balloon to force Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to KO Excadrill to use their coverage moves. Rapid Spin can be used to remove entry hazards from the field; however, these are very uncommon in Battle Spot, so it is usually not worth the moveslot. If your team features Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, or Volcarona and you absolutely need Stealth Rock removed, it can be used. Aerial Ace is an option to nail Mega Heracross and Breloom, although it's quite useless outside of those threats. A Passho or Chople Berry can save Excadrill from being picked off by an Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, respectively, and maybe even net it a surprise KO in the process. Sand Force might seem like a viable option; however, the Choice Scarf set appreciates the ability to hit Levitate users with Earthquake more than the increased power, and the huge Speed boost from Sand Rush is much more beneficial than Sand Force's power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Excadrill has no way of powering past Pokemon such as Suicune, Azumarill, (Mega) Slowbro, Swampert, Blastoise and Gyarados (save for Rock Slide), and they can all KO with their Water STAB moves. Sets utilizing Swords Dance can muscle past some of these if Excadrill has already boosted before they come in.

**Ground-types and Earthquake users**: Pokemon such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Mega Kangaskhan can easily survive an attack from Excadrill and retaliate with their own Earthquake

**Priority Moves**: Aqua Jet and Mach Punch bypass the Speed boost from a Choice Scarf or Sand Rush and hit Excadrill for super effective damage. Common users include Azumarill, Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Conkeldurr, and Breloom. Of these, only Crawdaunt can OHKO an Excadrill at full health, so unless Excadrill has received some prior damage, it can get off an attack before going down.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this is super WIP and will probably take me some time to do due to being a little busy, so I welcome any feedback anyone has! Any relevant info will help me get it done sooner, after all

Also, I know how to check an analysis, but my skills in writing one a still have a long way to go, so I'm cool with harsh criticism, lol

edit: ok I think this is good enough to start QC. The biggest thing I think I need advice on is team options. I'm mostly experience with the Scarf set and I mostly just slap him on any team I have (mostly paired with Dragonite or something) so I know he's good with Dragons and stuff

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in bold

Hans Moleman

QC: {--/--/--}
GP: {--/--}
Overview
########

+is pretty fast with a scarf does this mean that he is a revenge killer? sweeper?
+is really fast under sand sand rush? Does this mean exca can sweep?
+cool offensive typing with a decent attack stat to back it up allows it to check several things what are these things?
+is a mole y
-mediocre bulk, easy to pick off easy to pick off by what?
-lacks power without a life orb or swords dance I mean base 135 isn't exactly weak, you can say it struggles to get past common defensive walls without those or is easily walled by X things
-doesn't synergize well with its best partners (ie Hippowdon / Ttar) explain why it doesn't synergize well, a new reader doesn't know all the facts
Pretty much the underlaying question I have is how Excadrill does in the meta and what does it struggle with?

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

-EQ hit lots of stuff what stuff? and makes use of Mold Breaker to get past Levitators you can mention gengar here as well(most importantly Rotom-W/H)
-Iron Head is secondary stab that hits stuff like Fairies and Ice types notable ones?. Can also flinch thanks to the speed from Scarf why is this useful? getting past x checks? this can also probably be mentioned in usage tips.
-Rock-type coverage works great with EQ good for hitting burds like?. Rock Slide also works well with Scarf since it can flinch why is this useful?
-Horn Drill / Fissue offers a way to get a clutch kill say that they're 30 accuarcy 100% KO moves incase the reader doesn't know, they aren't exactly common throughout Pokemon. Mold Breaker stops Sturdy mons stopping you. Fissure avoids Levitate now and gives you a way to hit Ghosts but misses Flying types, Horn Drill hits the Flying types but misses Ghosts. I vote Horn Drill coz Earthquake hits both Gengar and Aegislash

Set Details
========

-max speed and attack for obvious reason you can just call this an offensive spread in write up, like "An offensive spread is used for maximum power and speed"

-Choice Scarf is used to give Excadrill a nice speed boost, giving it great revenge killing power

-Adamant is chosen for the extra power it gives to your attacks does it get any notable KOs that Jolly does not?, and Scarf already patches the speed. Jolly is good for outspeeding +1 Adamant ZardX and OHKOing with EQ (need to see what else it outspeeds)

Usage Tips
========

-Do not lead with ScarfDrill as it lacks immediate power, it also matches up poorly with several common BS threats such as so it's better to bring it in when it is needed, instead of leading and potentially starting on the back foot explain what you should do at team matchup, say if you see these threats not to lead with it or if you see X, Y, and Z you should bring exca to check them
-acts as a great revenge killer to revenge what? When should I predict revenge killing something? Should I scout the other team to see if they have a flying type before locking myself into EQ? Does locking myself into certain moves give opponents setup opportunities? How do I avoid those? Is there anything I should watch out for that I might get walled by? How do I get past them? Doubling out to a teammate?
-can switch in on annoying things like Toxic and T-wave due to typing and grab momentum what pokemon commonly carry them?

Team Options
========

-(Mega) Salamence, Gyarados, Talonflame, Charizard (probably more) why should I pair excadrill with these Pokemon?
Does exca struggle getting past anything? What synergizes well and stops those mons? Is exca good at removing certain Pokemon for other Pokemon to sweep? What are those Pokemon?

Sand Sweeper
########

Moves
========

-Earthquake is your strongest move and main sweeping tool. Hits key threats like Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar and Mega Charizard X
-Iron Head is your secondary STAB option. Works well with the speed boost of Sand Rush as it can pull off clutch flinches. Main targets are Togekiss, Sylveon, Mamoswine
-Rock Slide gives great coverage and can flinch. Works great against Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame
-Swords Dance can turn you into a formidable sweeper

Set Details
========

-max Attack and Speed for optimum sweeping potential

-Life Orb gives a nice boost to power while also giving flexibility in move choice. Could also rock a Choice Band is this worth being here? you can always put it in oo for more immediate power but it is unadvised. X-Scissor should be used in the last slot in that case?

-Adamant is used as you outspeed pretty much everything under sandstorm, and gives a much needed boost in power
-Jolly can be used to outspeed Timid Trace Gardevoir, which will OHKO you with Focus Blast otherwise ooo, good mention of that

Usage Tips
========

Save SandDrill for when sandstorm has been safely set up to make use of its great speed stat, otherwise he can be quite slow. Resist the urge to use Swords Dance too early, even though it gives a huge boost in power, it is sometimes best off to just make use of the sandstorm and outright attack against what Pokemon? What Pokemon should I setup on? Is there any reason to predict with exca or is it just clicking appropriate coverage moves?

Team Options
========

-sandstorm setters = Ttar and Hippo
-manual setters can also be viable, and can avoid overlapping your Water weakness water absorbers could be cool here to avoid water spam.
-similar to what I have in last set you need to mention it down here, just copy pasterino
is there anything that can lure in and remove stops to exca?

Other Options
########

-Assault Vest can be used on either set to give some extra bulkiness. I don't think it's that viable but it gets 22% usage so... expalin why its not viable so people wont use it
-Focus Sash can also be used if you want to lead with Excadrill. He can set up Stealth Rock after all.. is this a bad thing? if so explain why
-Hone Claws can be used instead of Swords Dance to patch up Rock Slides accuracy and help with Minimize users but is generally outclassed
-Air Balloon +or, that makes it sound like you use them in conjunction lol Magnet Rise can stop things like Lando-T and Garchomp from giving you trouble
-can set up its own Sandstorm
- Sand Force can be used on the Scarf set but being able to hit Levitators with Earthquake is too good to pass up. Also Sand Rush is better for lots of speed in sand

Checks & Counters
########
mention relevant physical walls, if they can also stop the SD set put them first, if not explain that they stop the scarf set but get muscled past by the SD set
**Water Types**: Excadrill has no way of powering past Pokemon such as Suicune, Azumarill, (Mega) Slowbro, Swampert, Blastoise, Gyarados (save for Rock Slide) and they can all KO with their water STAB

**Ground Types / strong Earthquake users**: stuff like Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Landorus (T) and Mega Kangaskhan can easily live an attack from Excadrill and retaliate with a OHKO with their own Earthquake

**Priority Moves**: Mention the types of priority moves and then list the users after, explain if some can't OHKOAzumarill, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Crawdaunt etc. can all pick off Excadrill with their priority with some prior damage. These all work as revenge killers though, as Exxadrill can dish out significant damage to them on the switch

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Comments in bold
Barney's movie had heart, but Football in the Groin had a football in the groin

Thanks a lot Mont! A lot of the stuff I was very brief on were things I was going to expand on when I wrote it up properly, but the rest of the stuff was solid advice :)

Also whoops, changed the title to 0/3 coz I'm not QCing myself, lol

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
OK, I typed this up and want some QC checks. I think I've done ok...

Also Mont, the only Water Absorb + Sandstorm user is Quagsire so I left him out..

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK, I typed this up and want some QC checks. I think I've done ok...

Also Mont, the only Water Absorb + Sandstorm user is Quagsire so I left him out..
Oh I just ment Water Absorb in general, but thinking back I guess that would compound a Grass weakness.

Water Absorb mons with Rindo Berry Ice Beam ftw :^)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
FYI you're not supposed to write stuff till you get 2 QC checks. But, I know you're new to this, and tbh in this case there aren't really that many mistakes content wise :P

Anyways I got so few things to say that I'm not even going divide them into sections lol

-In the overview, I think you should mention the Brave Bird resist, which can come in handy even though it still hurts like hell.

-In the sand sweeper set, I think you should mention Earth Plate in set comments. It helps alleviate a bit of the "gets picked off by priority" problem at the cost of some power of Earthquake and quite a bit of power from the other moves. It also frees up the Life Orb slot for another Pokemon.

-This is the only big thing I'm thinking about: I think there should be a general non choiced Mold Breaker set. I've run into that kind of Excadrill quite a bit, and it's certainly viable. Excadrill isn't fast, but its fast enough to outspeed a lot of defensive stuff, and being able to switch moves can be a nasty, shocking surprise!

From what I've seen, they pretty much run the same exact set as the Scarf set, only sometimes they use Swords Dance over Horn Drill (probably because SD Excadrill can break past Cresselia which is really cool).

Most common items I saw on them were Focus Sash and Air Balloon.

-One more thing to mention: Whats up with the Assault Vest stuff? I think I've seen that before, but I have no idea what EVs it uses. Usually, Battle Spot usage tends to show some quality stuff, so I'm curious. DragonWhale and Jibaku , have any Pokeblogs talked about Assault Vest Excadrill before? 22% usage is actually rather large.

EDIT: We discussed Assualt Vest Excadrill a bit in #Pokemon. Without any investment, it actually allows Excadrill to survive a defensive Rotom-W Hydro Pump, and you even have a 50% chance of surviving Scarf Rotom-W WITH NO INVESTMENT. That's actually sorta impressive. Might explain its usage O_o

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
FYI you're not supposed to write stuff till you get 2 QC checks. But, I know you're new to this, and tbh in this case there aren't really that many mistakes content wise :P

Anyways I got so few things to say that I'm not even going divide them into sections lol

-In the overview, I think you should mention the Brave Bird resist, which can come in handy even though it still hurts like hell.

-In the sand sweeper set, I think you should mention Earth Plate in set comments. It helps alleviate a bit of the "gets picked off by priority" problem at the cost of some power of Earthquake and quite a bit of power from the other moves. It also frees up the Life Orb slot for another Pokemon.

-This is the only big thing I'm thinking about: I think there should be a general non choiced Mold Breaker set. I've run into that kind of Excadrill quite a bit, and it's certainly viable. Excadrill isn't fast, but its fast enough to outspeed a lot of defensive stuff, and being able to switch moves can be a nasty, shocking surprise!

From what I've seen, they pretty much run the same exact set as the Scarf set, only sometimes they use Swords Dance over Horn Drill (probably because SD Excadrill can break past Cresselia which is really cool).

Most common items I saw on them were Focus Sash and Air Balloon.

-One more thing to mention: Whats up with the Assault Vest stuff? I think I've seen that before, but I have no idea what EVs it uses. Usually, Battle Spot usage tends to show some quality stuff, so I'm curious. DragonWhale and Jibaku , have any Pokeblogs talked about Assault Vest Excadrill before? 22% usage is actually rather large.

EDIT: We discussed Assualt Vest Excadrill a bit in #Pokemon. Without any investment, it actually allows Excadrill to survive a defensive Rotom-W Hydro Pump, and you even have a 50% chance of surviving Scarf Rotom-W WITH NO INVESTMENT. That's actually sorta impressive. Might explain its usage O_o
Ha yeah I knew that, but when I was editing it I just started writing it and went with it. I don't mind re-writing parts where I have to add stuff.

About Brave Bird, Choice Band 2HKO's, Life Orb can 2HKO, and Sharp Beak will leave you really bruised after two hits, so switching into one is a really poor choice imo. I think it's best to use Exca to revenge Talonflames (outspeeds their Flare Blitz's and, like we're talking about, takes about half from a Brave Bird)

I was thinking of adding a mention of a secondary item in the Sand set after I mention that Azumarill can pick you off after two rounds of LO recoil but I wasn't sure what to actually mention. Earth Plate does sound cool so I'll go with that (I was thinking Muscle Band etc. lol)

I've never used a non-choiced MB set myself (at least not in a while), and actually haven't run into enough to form an opinion. Would it really be worth its own set or should I mention the possibility in OO?

Ok cool some input on AssVest! I've never considered running it myself, and it doesn't look so appealing on a not-really-fast-and-kinda-frail-mon. It really just looks like a way to get past Rotom-W, there aren't any special attackers that I can think of that you do better against now with the SpDef boost. The biggest thing for me is that you can't run Swords Dance on that set so you lack power to get past things like P2 and Cres...

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fyi, I didn't mean to switch in on Talonflame lol. More like you can revenge it (like you mentioned).

Also for the non choiced set: While its used less than Scarf, afaik its actually still more common than the sand rush sweeper. That, and + Excadrill gives some slower mons like Aegislash and Cresselia a lot more problems when it isn't choiced!

Actually, your're talk on Assualt Vest just gave me a really good idea on how to cover Assualt Vest without giving it its own set: it can be rolled into a general non choiced mold breaker set. Reason that works is because a lot of the non choiced Excadrill still use Horn Drill over Swords Dance anyways lol.

It could be something like: Air Balloon / Focus Sash / Assualt Vest, with mentions of Life Orb and Earth Plate maybe, with the last slot being Swords Dance / Horn Drill.

Also, one more interesting thing: I did another calc for Assualt Vest. Turns out, with just 4 SpD EVs, you are guarnteed to survive an offensive Mega Gengar Focus Blast, which sounds cool.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Fyi, I didn't mean to switch in on Talonflame lol. More like you can revenge it (like you mentioned).

Also for the non choiced set: While its used less than Scarf, afaik its actually still more common than the sand rush sweeper. That, and + Excadrill gives some slower mons like Aegislash and Cresselia a lot more problems when it isn't choiced!

Actually, your're talk on Assualt Vest just gave me a really good idea on how to cover Assualt Vest without giving it its own set: it can be rolled into a general non choiced mold breaker set. Reason that works is because a lot of the non choiced Excadrill still use Horn Drill over Swords Dance anyways lol.

It could be something like: Air Balloon / Focus Sash / Assualt Vest, with mentions of Life Orb and Earth Plate maybe, with the last slot being Swords Dance / Horn Drill.

Also, one more interesting thing: I did another calc for Assualt Vest. Turns out, with just 4 SpD EVs, you are guarnteed to survive an offensive Mega Gengar Focus Blast, which sounds cool.
OK, so should I add a set between Scarf and Sand Rush? Or after? Because this set seems kinda niche, with Sand Rush being overall the more viable one. Anyway, I was thinking it would look something like this:

Versatile Attacker (working title)
########
nature: Adamant / Jolly (should adamant be the sole nature here? Jolly can beat Adamant Zard X and EQ it before it DDs)

Theorymon

That set looks perfectly fine.

As for placement... I'm fairly torn myself. On one hand, Sand Rush looks more appealing to me myself. On the other hand, 9 tmes out of 10, battle spot usage stats tend to be right on the money for the viable stuff to use on a mon.

Maybe for now, we can put Sand Rush above it, and justify it as more "Sand Rush is this niche that a lot of people haven't caught on to" as opposed to "The versatile attacker is the niche one", especially since looking at the stats, it seems that when you subtract Choice Scarf usage from Mold Breaker usage, then around 40% of Excadrill appear to be that non choiced mold breaker set >_>.

If it means much, this is how I was able to justify Draco Meeor slashed in on Life Orb Garchomp, so we could just do that with Excadrill in a round about sort of way lol.

Otherwise... QC Approved 1/3

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
That set looks perfectly fine.

As for placement... I'm fairly torn myself. On one hand, Sand Rush looks more appealing to me myself. On the other hand, 9 tmes out of 10, battle spot usage stats tend to be right on the money for the viable stuff to use on a mon.

Maybe for now, we can put Sand Rush above it, and justify it as more "Sand Rush is this niche that a lot of people haven't caught on to" as opposed to "The versatile attacker is the niche one", especially since looking at the stats, it seems that when you subtract Choice Scarf usage from Mold Breaker usage, then around 40% of Excadrill appear to be that non choiced mold breaker set >_>.

If it means much, this is how I was able to justify Draco Meeor slashed in on Life Orb Garchomp, so we could just do that with Excadrill in a round about sort of way lol.

Otherwise... QC Approved 1/3
I think Scarf and Sand Rush are easier for beginners to use and get a hold of, whereas the utility set is more of a specialised set, if that makes sense. This order also helps differentiate the sets, as having two Mold Breaker sets in a row may confuse the reader (especially since the moves/natures/evs are very similar).

Anyway, I did the non-choiced set I also wrote it up already what is wrong with me? so I'm looking for feedback on that. I also made a mention of Rapid Spin in OO even though entry hazards are super rare in 3v3, and spending a movelsot on RS is a waste imo. Some readers may be confused as to why Rapid Spin is the dedicated set in OU but isn't even mentioned here...

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watch out for Rotom-W even if you have the Assault Vest. While with this spread Excadrill does survive defensive variants, keep in mind that the most common variant in Battle Spot is offensive so it's not really a switch-in (especially since the opponent can easily WoW predicting a switch). This can be mediated by investing some EVs in special defense, since it will also allow you to switch into hits more number of times in a battle and therefore you get more opportunities to strike back or try your chances with Horn Drill.

But otherwise, looks good. QC approved: 2/3

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Watch out for Rotom-W even if you have the Assault Vest. While with this spread Excadrill does survive defensive variants, keep in mind that the most common variant in Battle Spot is offensive so it's not really a switch-in (especially since the opponent can easily WoW predicting a switch). This can be mediated by investing some EVs in special defense, since it will also allow you to switch into hits more number of times in a battle and therefore you get more opportunities to strike back or try your chances with Horn Drill.

But otherwise, looks good. QC approved: 2/3
The thing with Rotom-W and Assault Vest is that you survive Bold's Hydro Pump and 2HKO in return, whereas Modest has a 43.8% chance to OHKO while you easily OHKO it. The best way to come in on these Rotom is on either a predicted Volt Switch or other electric move, or just revenge kill it. Obviously don't draw the Hydro Pump or Will-O-Wisp and you're sweet. I really don't see investing in SpD to be the best idea since it takes away from either attack or speed which Excadrill needs both of...

After doing calcs, you need 60 SpD EVs to guarantee you survive a 252+ Hydro Pump, and 244 Spe (with adamant) outspeeds 252 modest Rotom-W, leaving 204 in attack. In conclusion, I think the best Assault Vest spread is adamant 204 Atk / 60 SpD / 244 Spe. Should I mention that in set details?

Thanks for the check, DragonWhale :)

I'm also thinking of adding a Lum Berry to OO, since a Prankster Will-O-Wisp / Swagger can be hella annoying for the Sand Rush set (or even the non-choiced Mold Breaker).

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing with Rotom-W and Assault Vest is that you survive Bold's Hydro Pump and 2HKO in return, whereas Modest has a 43.8% chance to OHKO while you easily OHKO it. The best way to come in on these Rotom is on either a predicted Volt Switch or other electric move, or just revenge kill it. Obviously don't draw the Hydro Pump or Will-O-Wisp and you're sweet. I really don't see investing in SpD to be the best idea since it takes away from either attack or speed which Excadrill needs both of...

After doing calcs, you need 60 SpD EVs to guarantee you survive a 252+ Hydro Pump, and 244 Spe (with adamant) outspeeds 252 modest Rotom-W, leaving 204 in attack. In conclusion, I think the best Assault Vest spread is adamant 204 Atk / 60 SpD / 244 Spe. Should I mention that in set details?

Thanks for the check, DragonWhale :)

I'm also thinking of adding a Lum Berry to OO, since a Prankster Will-O-Wisp / Swagger can be hella annoying for the Sand Rush set (or even the non-choiced Mold Breaker).
It was more for the formality. Of course switching into a Hydro Pump is not exactly the ideal situation you want yourself in, but sometimes it's the best play you can make. It also helps against the occasional scarf Rotoms that boldly lock themselves into Hydro Pump. Ideally Assault Vest helps you switch into fairy/electric special attackers more times in a battle and give you more opportunities to strike back or try your luck with Horn Drill. It might be a little too pinpoint to base a spread on one Pokemon, so I don't think that spread is needed in the analysis. Lum can definitely work as an OO.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
QC 3/3

Might be worth mentioning Aerial Ace in OO for Breloom/Hera although it's entirely useless outside of that.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
cant say

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Excadrill is backed by a great Attack stat, solid typing, (AC) and access to two fantastic abilities in Mold Breaker and Sand Rush; the former allows for easier spam of his just make sure the use of 'him' is consistent STAB Earthquake, allowing him to hit Levitate users such as Rotom-A, Gengar, Latios, (AC) and Hydreigon, while the latter gives him tremendous Speed during a sandstorm, allowing Excadrill to outspeed the entire metagame and potentially sweep unprepared teams. On the defensive side, Excadrill has mediocre bulk, meaning he has a hard time switching in against powerful attackers. (period), and due to him being Because Excadrill is weak to common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, (AC) means that he is fairly easy to pick off. However, due to his Steel / Ground typing, Excadrill can take advantage of a predicted Thunder Wave or Toxic and use the opportunity to switch in for free. Excadrill's most powerful attribute, (comma) being one of the fastest Pokemon in the game during a sandstorm, is severely hindered due to him having poor defensive synergy with Tyranitar and Hippowdon, the only two Pokemon with access to Sand Stream, as they are all weak to Water Type moves, as well as sharing and Excadrill shares a Ground and Fighting weakness with Tyranitar. For this reason, Excadrill best works as a revenge killer by making use of his great Speed while holding a Choice Scarf and abusing his powerful Earthquake to finish off a weakened team.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is your Excadrill's most powerful STAB move and is more reliable due to Mold Breaker ignoring the ability Levitate and allowing you Excadril to hit Pokemon who posses it, the most notable of which is Rotom-W, which would otherwise counter this set. You Excadrill can also outspeed Gengar and OHKO it with Earthquake. Iron Head is your Excadrill's secondary STAB move and is notable in being able to flinch the opponent, which works great when combined with a Choice Scarf. It also hits Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Togekiss for super effective damage. Rock Slide gives great neutral coverage with Earthquake, and allows you Excadrill to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, (AC) and Gyarados who avoid Earthquake and don't mind an Iron Head. Horn Drill and Fissure are 30% accurate OHKO moves, and can act as a last-resort option against Pokemon that you Excadrill cannot KO with any of his your other moves. Horn Drill is the preferred option as it hits everything except Ghost-types, however the most common Ghosts in Battle Spot are Aegislash and Gengar and they are both hit hard by Earthquake. Notable Pokemon that are hit by Fissure include Sableye and Jellicent, so the choice is up to you. Another benefit of Mold Breaker is that you Excadrill can hit Pokemon with the ability Sturdy with your its OHKO move; (SC) these include Skarmory and Donphan.

Set Details
========

An offensive EV spread is used to maximize Excadrill's Speed with a Choice Scarf and give him as much power as possible. The Choice Scarf is chosen to give Excadrill the jump on faster Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, (Mega) Gengar, Choice Scarf Chandelure, Greninja, Raikou, (AC) and Mega Lucario and KO them with Earthquake. Adamant is the preferred nature since as it gives Excadrill some additional power to use alongside the Speed that the Choice Scarf provides, however a Jolly nature can be used instead to get the jump on neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon at +1 speed including Mega Charizard X, Mega Blaziken, (AC) and Volcarona, and KOing them with the appropriate move.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Excadrill works best as a revenge killer, utilizing his high Speed and powerful Earthquake to finish off weakened teams. Leading with him may might put you in an unfavorable matchup, forcing you to sacrifice him or switch out, both of which give your opponent momentum. Even though his Attack stat is quite high, he is unable to OHKO bulkier threats at full health, and his mediocre bulk leaves him susceptible to being KOed back or severely weakened in the process, so getting prior damage on the opponent's team will allow for Excadrill to come in and easily finish them off. This also allows for you to scout the opposing team for Flying-types that are immune to Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Due to Excadrill's ability to take out Electric-types, as well as his 4x resistance to Rock Type moves, he makes a great partner for Pokemon such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Pinsir, (AC) and Togekiss. Excadrill desperately needs help getting past bulky Water- and Ground-types, so bringing a Grass-type such as like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sceptile, Roserade, (AC) or Serperior is a good idea. Excadrill can also help them by revenge killing the Fire- and Flying-types that give them trouble.

Sand Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is your Excadrill's strongest move and main sweeping tool. Earthquake hits key threats like such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, (AC) and Mega Charizard X. Iron Head is your Excadrill's secondary STAB option; it works well with the Speed boost of Sand Rush as it can pull off clutch flinches. Its main targets are Togekiss, Sylveon, (AC) and Mamoswine. Rock Slide gives great coverage alongside Earthquake and can also flinch. It works great against Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, (AC) and Talonflame as they are all immune to Earthquake and resist Iron Head. Swords Dance gives a tremendous boost to your Excadrill's Attack stat, and when paired with the insane Speed stat provided by Sand Rush, it allows Excadrill to sweep teams.

Set Details
========

Max Excadrill's Attack and Speed for optimum sweeping potential; (SC) the remaining 4 EVs go into Defense as it is preferred to have an odd HP stat when using a Life Orb to minimize the recoil you Excadrill receives from it. Life Orb gives a 30% boost to your Excadrill's attacks at the cost of 10% HP; (SC) every turn you attack, this gives Excadrill a much-needed increase in power while also allowing for flexibility with your its move choices. Excadrill doesn't like taking hits in the first place so the recoil from the Life Orb isn't too much of an issue. (period) Azumarill can pick you Excadrill off with Aqua Jet after two rounds of Life Orb recoil though, so watch out for that. An Earth Plate or Soft Sand can be used instead to keep Earthquake hitting hard and prevent recoil, at the cost of losing a lot of power to your Excadrill's other moves. Adamant is the preferred nature as you Excadrill still outspeeds everything in the tier that hasn't boosted its own Speed, while giving you Excadrill extra attack power. Jolly is also an option to stop Timid Trace Gardevoir from coming in, outspeeding you Excadrill, (AC) and OHKOing it with Focus Blast. It also allows you Excadrill to get the jump on Jolly Mega Salamence after a Dragon Dance, Adamant Sharpedo after two Speed boosts, Swift Swim Kingdra in rain, or Adamant Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken after two boosts.

Usage Tips
========

Sand Rush Excadrill needs an active sandstorm to make use of his fantastic Speed stat, so bring him in once you have one set it up. Pokemon such as Azumarill and Conkeldurr can bypass Sand Rush and KO Excadrill with some prior damage with their super effective priority moves, so eliminating these are a top priority. Using Swords Dance may can give Excadrill you an enormous boost to your its attacks, but it uses a valuable turn of sandstorm to set up, and also leaves you Excadrill vulnerable to being attacked. Only use it if you are matched up against a Pokemon who is likely to switch out, and you know you can afford the turn of sandstorm. Switching Excadrill in on Electric-types such as Thundurus and Raikou is your best chance to set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Bringing either a Tyranitar or Hippowdon is mandatory to set up the sandstorm necessary for Excadrill to abuse Sand Rush. The problem with them is that they share weaknesses with Excadrill including Water, Fighting, (AC) and Ground. You also need a teammate that can easily take care of Azumarill, who is probably Sand Rush Excadrill's biggest threat. Venusaur and Roserade work well as they resist Excadrill‘s— - as well as Tyranitar's or Hippowdon's— - weaknesses, and can also deal with Azumarill well. Serperior can also come in and start setting up Leaf Storm boosts against most things that threaten your Excadrill's sweep. Latias or Latios make for good partners as they resist Water and Fighting while being immune to Ground thanks to Levitate, and Excadrill resisting their Dragon, Fairy, (AC) and Bug weaknesses. They can also manually set up sandstorm, while Latias can even use Healing Wish to get Excadrill in safely and also heal him in the process.

Versatile Attacker
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is your Excadrill's most powerful STAB option, utilizes Mold Breaker by hitting Levitate users such as Rotom-W, Rotom-H, (AC) and Gengar for super effective damage, and hits key threats such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard X, (AC) and Heatran for super effective damage also. Iron Head is your Excadrill's secondary STAB option and offers valuable super effective coverage against Pokemon such as Sylveon, Togekiss, Clefable, (AC) and Mamoswine. The choice between Rock Slide and Rock Tomb is personal preference, as Rock Slide gives more power, however Rock Tomb sports slightly better accuracy and drops the target's Speed by one stage, which can allow for Excadrill to outspeed a faster opponent on the next turn, or allow for a teammate to come in and outspeed, which makes revenge killing much easier. Swords Dance offers a significant increase in power, (RC) and allows Excadrill to power past bulky Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Aegislash. Stealth Rock provides entry hazard support which helps break enemy Focus Sashes, as well as taking a chunk out of Charizard and Talonflame. It also works great with Mold Breaker as Magic Bounce users like such as Espeon and Mega Absol can't deflect them back at you.

Set Details
========
An offensive EV spread is used to give Excadrill as much power and Speed as possible, with the remaining EVs put into Special Defence to ensure you Excadrill lives a Focus Blast from Mega Gengar with an Assault Vest. Adamant is preferred over Jolly to give Excadrill a boost to his attacks. Adamant guarantees the OHKO on Pokemon such as Mamoswine, (RC) and Mega Manectric (due to Intimidate), while Jolly gets the jump on neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon such as unboosted Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, (AC) and Entei, and OHKO with the appropriate move. A Focus Sash is the preferred item as it allows Excadrill to avoid an OHKO and be left with 1HP, meaning he can either get in an attack before going down, (RC) or to ensure that Stealth Rock gets set up. An Air Balloon makes Excadrill immune to Ground Type attacks, namely Earthquake, and forces the opponent to use a weaker move to pop the Air Balloon. This is especially helpful against Pokemon such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, (AC) and Mega Salamence, although Excadrill shouldn't be trying to fight them anyway. An Assault Vest cannot be used with either Swords Dance or Stealth Rock, which is why Horn Drill is used in the fourth slot. It Assault Vest notably allows Excadrill to survive a Hydro Pump from defensive Rotom-W and Focus Blast from offensive Mega Gengar, while Excadrill can KO both with Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========

Excadrill needs to avoid switching in as taking an attack will break its his Focus Sash or pop its his Air Balloon, this which is why this set works best as a lead. From the lead position, Excadrill can easily set up Stealth Rock and then either switch out or start attacking. If using an Air Balloon, you can make use of predicted Earthquakes to switch in for free. Beware of Fake Out users such as Mega Lopunny, Infernape, Mega Medicham, (AC) and Mienshao as they can all break your Excadrill's Focus Sash with Fake Out, (RC) and proceed to KO you it with a super effective move. You can also make use of Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, (AC) and Thundurus to switch in on a Thunder Wave or Toxic and set up a Swords Dance

Team Options
========

Pokemon that enjoy Stealth Rock support to either discourage Talonflame switching in, (RC) or having the opponents' Focus Sashes being broken to aid their sweep make for good partners to this set; (SC) these include Greninja and Blaziken. Venusaur can help you deal with Azumarill and Breloom, while he appreciates having Excadrill to take out Talonflame.

Other Options
########

You can forego Swords Dance on the Sand Rush set and opt for setting up your own sandstorm if needed, however this faces the same issues as using Swords Dance, in that it gives the opponent a free turn to get in a check or potentially cripple Excadrill. Magnet Rise can be used alongside an Air Balloon to force Pokemon who rely on Earthquake to KO Excadrill to use their coverage moves. Rapid Spin can be used to remove entry hazards from the field, however these are very uncommon in 3v3 Battle Spot so it is usually not worth the moveslot. If your team features Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, (AC) or Volcarona and you absolutely need Stealth Rock removed then it can be used. Aerial Ace is an option to nail Mega Hercross and Breloom, although it's quite useless outside of those threats. A Passho or Chople Berry can save you Excadrill from being picked off by an Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, respectively, and maybe even net you a surprise KO in the process. Sand Force may might seem like a viable option, however, (RC) the Choice Scarf set appreciates being able to hit Levitate users with Earthquake more than the increased power, and the huge Speed boost from Sand Rush is much more beneficial than Sand Force's power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Excadrill has no way of powering past Pokemon such as Suicune, Azumarill, (Mega) Slowbro, Swampert, Blastoise, and Gyarados (save for Rock Slide), (AC) and they can all KO with their Water STAB moves. Sets utilizing Swords Dance can muscle past some of these if Excadrill has already boosted before they come in.

**Ground-types and strong users of Earthquake**: Pokemon such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, (AC) and Mega Kangaskhan can easily live an attack from Excadrill and retaliate with a OHKO with their own Earthquake

**Priority Moves**: Aqua Jet and Mach Punch bypass the Speed from a Choice Scarf or Sand Rush and hit Excadrill for super effective damage. Common users include Azumarill, Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Conkeldurr, and Breloom. Of these, only Crawdaunt can OHKO an Excadrill at full health, so unless you have received some prior damage, you can get off an attack before going down.

1/2

Lots of simple, repeated errors here, but good writing otherwise. Those will be removed with future experience.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Thanks GatoDelFuego! I'll make sure I refer to the Pokemon instead of the player in the future (that was a lot of you/your replacing, lol)

Just one more check and this baby is done!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Overview
########

Excadrill is backed by a great Attack stat, solid typing, and access to two fantastic abilities in Mold Breaker and Sand Rush; the former allows for easier spam of his its STAB Earthquake, allowing him it to hit Levitator Levitate users such as Rotom-W, Gengar, Latios, and Hydreigon, while the latter gives him it tremendous Speed during a sandstorm, allowing Excadrill to outspeed the entire metagame and potentially sweep unprepared teams. On the defensive side, Excadrill has mediocre bulk, meaning he it has a hard time switching in against powerful attackers. Additionally, because Excadrill is weak to common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, he it is fairly easy to pick off. However, due to his its Steel / Ground typing, Excadrill can take advantage of a predicted Thunder Wave or Toxic and switch in for free. Excadrill's most powerful attribute, being one of the fastest Pokemon in the game during a sandstorm, is severely hindered due to him having by its poor defensive synergy with Tyranitar and Hippowdon, the only two Pokemon with access to Sand Stream, as they are all weak to Water moves (RC) and Excadrill also shares a Ground and Fighting weakness with Tyranitar. For this reason, Excadrill best works as a revenge killer by making use of his its great Speed while holding a Choice Scarf and using his its powerful Earthquake to finish off a weakened team.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's most powerful STAB move and is more reliable due to Mold Breaker ignoring the ability Levitate and allowing Excadrill to hit Pokemon who that posses possess it, the most notable of which is Rotom-W, which would otherwise counter this set. Excadrill can also outspeed Gengar and OHKO it with Earthquake. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB move and is notable in being able to flinch the opponent, which works great when combined with a Choice Scarf. It also hits Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Togekiss for super effective damage. Rock Slide gives great neutral coverage with Earthquake (RC) and allows Excadrill to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Gyarados super effectively, (AC) who which avoid Earthquake and don't mind an Iron Head. Horn Drill and Fissure are 30% accurate OHKO moves (RC) and can act as a last-resort option against Pokemon that Excadrill cannot KO with any of his its other moves. Horn Drill is the preferred option, (AC) as it hits everything except Ghost-types; (SC) however, (AC) the most common Ghosts in Battle Spot are Aegislash and Gengar, (AC) and they are both hit hard by Earthquake anyway. Notable Pokemon that are hit by Fissure include Sableye and Jellicent, so the choice is up to you. Another benefit of Mold Breaker is that Excadrill can hit Pokemon with the ability Sturdy with his its OHKO move; (SC) these include Skarmory and Donphan.

Set Details
========

An offensive EV spread is used to maximize Excadrill's Speed with a Choice Scarf and give him it as much power as possible. The Choice Scarf is chosen to give Excadrill the jump on faster Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, (Mega) Gengar, Choice Scarf Chandelure, Greninja, Raikou, and Mega Lucario and KO them with Earthquake. Adamant is the preferred nature, (AC) as it gives Excadrill some additional power to use alongside the Speed that the Choice Scarf provides; (SC) however, (AC) a Jolly nature can be used instead to get the jump on neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon at +1, (AC) including Mega Charizard X, Mega Blaziken, and Volcarona, and KOing them with the appropriate move.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Excadrill works best as a revenge killer, utilizing his its high Speed and powerful Earthquake to finish off weakened teams. Leading with him it might put you in an unfavorable matchup, forcing you to sacrifice him it or switch out, both of which give your opponent momentum. Even though his Excadrill's Attack stat is quite high, he it is unable to OHKO bulkier threats at full health (RC) and his its mediocre bulk leaves him it susceptible to being KOed back or severely weakened in the process, so getting prior damage on the opponent's team will allow for (allow for = take into consideration / account for the possibility) Excadrill to come in and easily finish them off. This also allows for you to scout the opposing team for Flying-types, (AC) that which are immune to Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Due to Excadrill's ability to take out Electric-types (RC) as well as his 4x resistance to Rock moves, he it makes a great partner for Pokemon such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Pinsir, and Togekiss. Excadrill desperately needs help getting past bulky Water- and Ground-types, so bringing a Grass-type such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Sceptile, Roserade, or Serperior is a good idea. Excadrill can also help them by revenge killing the Fire- and Flying-types that give them trouble.

Sand Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's strongest move and main sweeping tool. Earthquake hits key threats such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Charizard X. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB option; it works well with the Speed boost of Sand Rush, (AC) as it can pull off clutch flinches. Its main targets are Togekiss, Sylveon, and Mamoswine. Rock Slide gives great coverage alongside Earthquake and can also make foes flinch. It works great against Zapdos, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, (AC) as they are all immune to Earthquake and resist Iron Head. Swords Dance gives a tremendous boost to Excadrill's Attack stat, and when paired with the insane Speed provided by Sand Rush, it allows Excadrill to sweep teams.

Set Details
========

Maximize Excadrill's Attack and Speed for optimum sweeping potential; the remaining 4 EVs go into Defense, (AC) as it is preferred to have an odd HP stat when using a Life Orb to minimize the recoil Excadrill receives from it. Life Orb gives a 30% boost to Excadrill's attacks at the cost of 10% HP; this gives Excadrill a much-needed increase in power while also allowing for flexibility with his its move choices. Excadrill doesn't like taking hits in the first place, (AC) so the recoil from the Life Orb isn't too much of an issue. Azumarill can pick Excadrill off with Aqua Jet after two rounds of Life Orb recoil, (AC) though, so watch out for that. An Earth Plate or Soft Sand can be used instead to keep Earthquake hitting hard and prevent recoil, at the cost of losing a lot of power to Excadrill's other moves. Adamant is the preferred nature, (AC) as it gives Excadrill extra power and Excadrill it still outspeeds everything in the tier that hasn't boosted its own Speed, while giving Excadrill extra power. Jolly is also an option to stop Timid Trace Gardevoir from coming in, outspeeding Excadrill, and OHKOing him it with Focus Blast. It also allows Excadrill to get the jump on Jolly Mega Salamence after a Dragon Dance, Adamant Sharpedo after two Speed boosts, Swift Swim Kingdra in rain, or and Adamant Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken after two boosts.

Usage Tips
========

Sand Rush Excadrill needs an active sandstorm to make use of his its fantastic Speed stat, so bring him it in once you have set it up. Pokemon such as Azumarill and Conkeldurr can bypass Sand Rush and KO Excadrill with some prior damage with their super effective priority moves, so eliminating these are is a top priority. Using Swords Dance can give Excadrill an enormous boost to his its attacks, but it uses a valuable turn of sandstorm to set up (RC) and also leaves Excadrill vulnerable to being attacked. Only use it if you are matched up against a Pokemon who that is likely to switch out (RC) and you know you can afford the turn of sandstorm. Switching Excadrill in on Electric-types such as Thundurus and Raikou is your best chance to set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Bringing either a Tyranitar or Hippowdon is mandatory to set up the sandstorm necessary for Excadrill to abuse Sand Rush. The problem with them is that they share weaknesses with Excadrill including Water, Fighting, and Ground. You also need a teammate that can easily take care of Azumarill, who which is probably Sand Rush Excadrill's biggest threat. Venusaur and Roserade work well, (AC) as they resist Excadrill's— as well as Tyranitar's or Hippowdon's— weaknesses (RC) and can also deal with Azumarill well. Serperior can also come in and start setting up Leaf Storm boosts against most things that threaten Excarill's Excadrill's sweep. Latias or and Latios make for good partners, (AC) as they resist Water and Fighting while being immune to Ground thanks to Levitate, and while Excadrill resisting resists their Dragon, Fairy, and Bug weaknesses. They can also manually set up sandstorm, while Latias can even use Healing Wish to get Excadrill in safely and also heal him it in the process.

Versatile Attacker
########

Moves
========

Earthquake is Excadrill's most powerful STAB option, utilizes Mold Breaker by hitting Levitate users such as Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Gengar for super effective damage, and hits key threats such as Aegislash, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard X, and Heatran for super effective damage. Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB option and offers valuable super effective coverage against Pokemon such as Sylveon, Togekiss, Clefable, and Mamoswine. The choice between Rock Slide and Rock Tomb is personal preference: (colon) as Rock Slide gives has more power, however while Rock Tomb sports slightly better accuracy and drops the target's Speed by one stage, which can allow for Excadrill to outspeed a faster opponent on the next turn (RC) or allow for a teammate to come in and outspeed it. (period) which It also makes revenge killing much easier. (made it into a new sentence because it was getting a bit long and it covered a different situation; 'allow a teammate to come in and outspeed' implies Excadrill hard switching out, whereas 'revenge killing' implies Excadrill fainting. If I misunderstood something here, you can just leave the 'which' clause) Swords Dance offers a significant increase in power and allows Excadrill to power past bulky Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, Ferrothorn, and Aegislash. Stealth Rock provides entry hazard support, (AC) which helps break enemy Focus Sashes (RC) as well as while also taking a chunk out of Charizard and Talonflame. It also works great with Mold Breaker, (AC) as Magic Bounce users such as Espeon and Mega Absol can't deflect reflect (deflect is just away, in any direction, not necessarily back) them it back at you.

Set Details
========
An offensive EV spread is used to give Excadrill as much power and Speed as possible, with the remaining EVs put into Special Defence Defense to ensure Excadrill lives survives a Focus Blast from Mega Gengar when equipped with an Assault Vest. An Adamant nature is preferred over Jolly to give Excadrill a boost to his its attacks, (comma) Adamant guarantees guaranteeing the OHKO on Mamoswine and Mega Manectric (due to accounting for Intimidate); (SC) while on the other hand, Jolly gets the jump on neutral-natured base 100 speed Pokemon such as unboosted Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Entei. A Focus Sash is the preferred item, (AC) as it allows Excadrill to avoid an OHKO and be left with 1HP, meaning he it can either get in an attack before going down or to ensure that Stealth Rock gets set up. An Air Balloon makes Excadrill immune to Ground attacks, namely Earthquake, and forces the opponent to use a weaker move to pop the Air Balloon. This is especially helpful against Pokemon such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence, although Excadrill shouldn't be trying to fight them anyway. An Assault Vest cannot be used with either Swords Dance or Stealth Rock, which is why Horn Drill is used in the fourth slot. Assault Vest notably allows Excadrill to survive a Hydro Pump from defensive Rotom-W and Focus Blast from offensive Mega Gengar, while Excadrill can KO both with Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========

Excadrill needs to avoid switching in, (AC) as taking an attack will break his its Focus Sash or pop his its Air Balloon, which is why this set works best as a lead. From the lead position, Excadrill can easily set up Stealth Rock and then either switch out or start attacking. If using an Air Balloon, you can make use of predicted Earthquakes to switch Excadrill in for free. Beware of Fake Out users such as Mega Lopunny, Infernape, Mega Medicham, and Mienshao, (AC) as they can all break Excadrill's Focus Sash with Fake Out and proceed to KO you it with a super effective move. You can also make use (consider 'take advantage') of Pokemon such as Cresselia, Porygon2, and Thundurus to switch in on a Thunder Wave or Toxic and set up a Swords Dance. (period)

Team Options
========

Pokemon that enjoy Stealth Rock support to either discourage Talonflame switching in or having have the opponents' opposing Pokemon's Focus Sashes being broken to aid their sweep make for good partners to this set; these include Greninja and Blaziken. Venusaur can help you Excadrill deal with Azumarill and Breloom, while he it appreciates having Excadrill to take out Talonflame.

Other Options
########

You can forego Swords Dance on the Sand Rush set and opt for setting up your own sandstorm if needed; (SC) however, (AC) this faces the same issues as using Swords Dance (RC) in that it gives the opponent a free turn to get in a check or potentially cripple Excadrill. Magnet Rise can be used alongside an Air Balloon to force Pokemon who that rely on Earthquake to KO Excadrill to use their coverage moves. Rapid Spin can be used to remove entry hazards from the field; (SC) however, (AC) these are very uncommon in Battle Spot, (AC) so it is usually not worth the moveslot. If your team features Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, or Volcarona and you absolutely need Stealth Rock removed, (AC) then (a 'then' coordinating an 'if' comes from spoken text and is pretty useless and as such redundant in written text. Same with 'still' coordinating an 'even' and the like) it can be used. Aerial Ace is an option to nail Mega Hercross Heracross and Breloom, although it's quite useless outside of those threats. A Passho or Chople Berry can save Excadrill from being picked off by an Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, respectively, and maybe even net you it a surprise KO in the process. Sand Force might seem like a viable option; (SC) however, (AC) the Choice Scarf set appreciates being able the ability to hit Levitate users with Earthquake more than the increased power, and the huge Speed boost from Sand Rush is much more beneficial than Sand Force's power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Excadrill has no way of powering past Pokemon such as Suicune, Azumarill, (Mega) Slowbro, Swampert, Blastoise and Gyarados (save for Rock Slide), and they can all KO with their Water STAB moves. Sets utilizing Swords Dance can muscle past some of these if Excadrill has already boosted before they come in.

**Ground-types and Earthquake users**: Pokemon such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Mega Kangaskhan can easily live survive an attack from Excadrill and retaliate with their own Earthquake

**Priority Moves**: Aqua Jet and Mach Punch bypass the Speed boost from a Choice Scarf or Sand Rush and hit Excadrill for super effective damage. Common users include Azumarill, Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Conkeldurr, and Breloom. Of these, only Crawdaunt can OHKO an Excadrill at full health, so unless you have Excadrill has received some prior damage, you it can get off an attack before going down.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm gonna tag my GPers (GatoDelFuego / The Dutch Plumberjack ) to see what they think. I suppose it would probably look sloppy when these are added to the site dex and the OU / other sets use 'it' and then these have 'him'

Also, thanks for the check Dutch! I'll implement it once this is sorted

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I'm gonna tag my GPers (GatoDelFuego / The Dutch Plumberjack ) to see what they think. I suppose it would probably look sloppy when these are added to the site dex and the OU / other sets use 'it' and then these have 'him'

Also, thanks for the check Dutch! I'll implement it once this is sorted
The standards explicitly allow the use of 'he'/'who'/'whom', so with me it's fine, but:
-the VAST majority of analyses use 'it'/'that'/'which', so you're right in thinking it would be a bit out of place (even though this wouldn't quite be the literal only analysis that uses 'he');
-several GP members (other than Gato and me) would have had you change it to 'it' anyway on account of 'Excadrill is a species, not a gendered character'.

(As for the relative pronouns, if you do choose to change it you should use 'which' after a comma or preposition and 'that' in all other cases :] since you haven't implemented my check yet I'm also fine with editing the genderless pronouns in because there are some technicalities to the relative pronouns)

Not gonna push you to do anything because I'm perfectly fine either way but this is how it is lol

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
The standards explicitly allow the use of 'he'/'who'/'whom', so with me it's fine, but:
-the VAST majority of analyses use 'it'/'that'/'which', so you're right in thinking it would be a bit out of place (even though this wouldn't quite be the literal only analysis that uses 'he');
-several GP members (other than Gato and me) would have had you change it to 'it' anyway on account of 'Excadrill is a species, not a gendered character'.

(As for the relative pronouns, if you do choose to change it you should use 'which' after a comma or preposition and 'that' in all other cases :] since you haven't implemented my check yet I'm also fine with editing the genderless pronouns in because there are some technicalities to the relative pronouns)

Not gonna push you to do anything because I'm perfectly fine either way but this is how it is lol
Yep I'm fine with changing it so it fits the rest, I'll have to remember this for when I write other analyses. If you don't mind editing the genderless pronouns then I'd love it if you could :) otherwise I'll probably mess a few up and would require you to check them anyway, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)