ORAS OU (Peaked 1564) Johto Volt-Turn Pivots - Mega Ampharos and Scizor

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
This team is way better than it looks on paper. I've tested this team in a ton of battles and I'm currently on a 10 game winning streak with it. I always look for innovative ways or new cool ideas that work well, and I think this team may be a good step in that direction. I used Team Magma Teambuilder to make sure that my team wasn't weak to a certain type and it turned out quite well. This link http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?151|181m|647|663|625|212 will lead you there, and you can see why this team does well typing wise. This is a long one, so I do hope you'll read it carefully before making suggestions. Now, let's meet the members of the team.
I found a cool set for this guy and had to use him. Mew can be a scary surprise offensively
The first thing I always worry about is Talonflame, and Mega Ampharos stops it well
I wanted a Bisharp check and something to scare off Lando-T

I didn't have any priority and Mega Venusaur looked like a problem
Nothing on the team could stop Latios, and I also wanted a Stealth Rock user
I needed a hazard remover and typing wise, Scizor was perfect

In Depth Analysis

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Low Kick​
Most people look at this set and either completely reject it, or just laugh at the stupidity. I got this set from the Deadly Sins RMT and I love this set. Mew is usually used for support, but not many people realize the wasted offensive potential of a pokemon with good stats, and access to a very large move pool. This offensive set is able to surprise people and most of the time gets you a free kill due to no one expecting it. Mew's great stats allow it to at least take 1 hit before getting 2HKO'd by something like Mega Metagross's Meteor Mash, and then fire back with surprising power. Max Speed is ran to outspeed basically everything base 100 and lower.​
Ice Beam

Ice Beam is able to hit most ground types like Garchomp and Hippowdon, and basically 2HKO most of them at the most. Garchomp and Lando-T leads are very common now and Mew's ice beam can get rid of them immediately after they go for rocks.

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 216-254 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Fire Blast

Steel types are extremely common and Mew is able to 1HKO Ferrothorn and Scizor with Fire Blast. Mega Metagross won't see it coming and can be revenge killed by Mew. Very handy against steel types other than Heatran if Mew gets burned.

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 214-252 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Mega Scizor: 365-432 (106.4 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Energy Ball

This move is the most unexpected move on the set. Energy Ball is able to hit Rotom-W (something very annoying to most teams and stops birdspam) very hard and can also 1HKO Quagsire, Mega Swampert, and other pokemon with a 4X weakness to grass. Keldeo is also a victim to Mew's energy ball as some people would switch into it after seeing Mew's Ice Beam or Fire Blast.

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 178-211 (58.7 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 533-629 (135.2 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Low Kick
This is probably my favorite move on Mew. It 1HKO Bisharp and Tyranitar as well as 2HKO Heatran and basically anything weak to fighting. Bisharp and Tyranitar would go for pursuit but get surprised by low kick and earns you a free kill against a late game sweeper and puts an end to sandstorm. Overall with Low Kick and Fire Blast, no steel or ice type is safe from Mew.

204 SpA Expert Belt Mew Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 310-365 (113.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

52 Atk Expert Belt Mew Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 408-480 (119.6 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Fully defensive Tyranitar requires 2 Low Kicks, but at most can do 75% with Crunch back to Mew)

Ampharos-Mega (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mega Ampharos is extremely underrated, but mostly due to his poor speed. Usually people run Rotom-Wash to stop Talonflame, but I chose Ampharos because he's not as predictable as Rotom-Wash (everyone basically runs the same set when using Rotom-Wash). Mega Ampharos is also able to hit extremely hard with its base 165 special attack. I decided to run a more Special Defensive Pivot set because his stats defensively are really good. I kept 200 in special attack just so he can still 1HKO Excadrill and 2HKO Heatran and Ferrothorn (everyone practically has one of them if not both) with Focus Blast. I also like using Mega Ampharos because it stops Mega Charizard Y (which is extremely common now with Tyranitar).
Dragon Pulse
The best special dragon move he gets and can hit very hard neutrally against most non special walls such as Lando-T. Dragon Pulse actually does more damage than a super effective 2X hidden power would due to stab, so its a great move to use when predicting a switch.

200 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 195-229 (61.1 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Volt Switch
With Mega Ampharos being so slow, volt switch seemed like a great move because of the heavy damage and the guaranteed safe switch in. A slow volt switch means an opportunity to set up with someone else while forcing my opponent to switch again or sack their current pokemon.

200 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 236-278 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Rest

Previously Thunder Wave. After some testing, I realized that Ampharos needs to live if it wants to keep walling stuff and the Rest Sleep Talk Set works great on him. Rest provides him with great recovery from status restores hp so he can keep tanking for the team.
Sleep Talk
Previously Focus Blast. Sleep Talk goes with Rest for the Rest Sleep Talk combo, something Mega Ampharos can do well. Its really bulky and Sleep Talk allows Mega Ampharos access to dragon pulse, rest and volt switch (which can provide momentum despite being asleep), and it was just plain necessary with Rest.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Taunt​
Keldeo provides great offense with its base 129 special attack and its 108 speed. Keldeo is able to help Mega Ampharos with its ground and ice weaknesses, as Keldeo can scald or secret sword to eliminate them. Ev spread is the typical one, and right now I'm using Life Orb so I can access his whole set without being locked.​
Scald

Scald is the usual water move on Keldeo that can cripple anything that survives with a burn. Lando-T and Hippowdon are usually forced to switch out and this applies to most physical attackers like Mega Gallade and Mega Metagross as well. With a 30% chance to burn, and a life orb with all of that special attack, Scald is one dangerous attack most pokemon don't wanna switch into.
Secret Sword

This is also a standard move as it is able to hit physically like Psyshock. Heatran, Bisharp, and Tyranitar are the usual victims as all of them get 1HKO'd by Secret Sword and can't do much back to Keldeo (especially Bisharp).
Hidden Power [Rock]

I don't think anyone has ever tried HP Rock on Keldeo and its actually not bad. Its able to 1HKO Mega Charizard Y and 2HKO Gyarados. Other flying types such as Thunderus also take heavy damage as this hidden power is never expected. Hidden Power Bug was a possibility, but with Mega Charizard Y being so common, I had to try it out and I'm quite pleased with it.

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 302-359 (101.6 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 172-203 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Taunt

Taunt on Keldeo actually helps a lot as it prevents pokemon like Hippowdon and Chansey from recovering, and it also stops status moves like Spore and Toxic. Taunt can also stop Baton Pass teams as baton pass won't work due to taunt. After taunting an opponent, Keldeo can either kill them immediately, or predict and hit the next pokemon hard.​

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

One of the most annoying overpowered 6th Gen Pokemon, Talonflame is here to birdspam and sweep. Most sword dance sets run jolly to outspeed other things like Serperior or Raikou, but I chose power over speed. Since Adamant lets you have 351 speed and outspeed the 110 pokemon like Mega Metagross and Gallade. Adamant nature lets Talonflame hit as hard as possible. Overall predicting your opponent to switch into something like Raikou or something else faster than Talonflame compensates for not running Jolly.

Brave Bird
The only attack guaranteed on every Talonflame because it is the strongest stab that gets priority. Brave Bird is able to get rid of basically anything except for electric, rock and steel pokemon. Everything else gets hit very hard and few survive to tell the tale.

Flare Blitz
Flare Blitz is for getting rid of Electric and Steel types like Magnezone and Raikou. Raikou normally checks Talonflame, but if Talonflame gets a flare blitz on Raikou, Raikou will be left with enough HP for Brave Bird to finish it off most of the time. This also applies to Thunderus, which takes even more damage from Flare Blitz than Raikou.

252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 199-235 (61.9 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 119-141 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 210-247 (70.2 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 126-148 (42.1 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Swords Dance
Swords Dance allows Talonflame to reach dangerous levels offensively and usually results in a few KO's at the least. Talonflame is able to sweep late game after setting up a swords dance and annihilates most things.

Roost
Roost is used to compensate for all for all of the recoil damage Talonflame takes from KO'ing everything else. Roost also helps it manage against Stealth Rocks if Scizor (my hazard remover) goes down.

Bisharp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Bisharp is a great late game sweeper and is able to check Latios and Latias for me. I run Focus Sash because if I do want to lead with Bisharp, I can make sure I get rocks up, or Knock off an item (as long as they aren't a Mega Pokemon). Bisharp and Talonflame make up an extremely powerful physical core that is able to utilize priority. Defiant also allows Bisharp to make use of any Defog or Sticky Web attempts as they only make Bisharp even stronger.

Stealth Rocks

Running stealth rocks allows Bisharp to force defog users or rapid spin users to come out. Defog will raise his attack, and right now Starmie is a common spinner, so Bisharp can take it out with Sucker Punch or Knock Off. Stealth Rocks also put fire types at a greater risk of taking damage and therefore can get rid of Bisharp's fire weakness in a way.

Sucker Punch

Dark Priority is extremely effective considering how only Dark, Fairy and Fighting types are the only types that resist it. Sucker Punch is able to take out most offensive threats that outspeed Bisharp such as Mega Metagross and Landorus.

Iron Head

Fairy types are pretty annoying, especially Clefable, and Iron Head is used to get rid of them. Iron Head can hit hard in general and also provides an answer to getting rid of rock types.

Knock Off

I had to choose between pursuit and knock off and I went with Knock off because Eviolite users are extremely annoying and can be easily dealt with by using knock off. Knock Off can also get rid of choice scarf and cause some pokemon to lose their niche on the team.

Red Lightning (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Finally we have the defensive pivot and hazard remover, Scizor. I wanted a physical hazard remover to keep the number of physical and special attackers at 3 a piece, and Scizor was the best choice. His typing fit in perfectly with my team and he's a great pivot as well. Typing wise, Mega Ampharos and Scizor are a good match as they cover eachother's weaknesses (except for Ground).Together with Ampharos, they form the Johto Volt-turn pivot core.

Defog

Defog was my initial reason for choosing Scizor as having Talonflame meant needing a hazard remover. Choice Band Scizor is pretty popular now, so Defog will surprise some people.

Bullet Punch

Scizor's best move due to the power boost from technician and having priority. Scizor is able to function as a revenge killer as well with Bullet Punch and also helps with fairy types.

U-turn

U-Turn is a great move to avoid being trapped by Magnezone, and for just providing momentum in general. Like Ampharos, Scizor can utilize the slow switch and allows me to bring out a counter to whatever pokemon my opponent chose.

Roost

Scizor staying healthy was crucial if he was to be the phyiscal wall and defog user of the team, so Roost was a must. Roost can cause opponents to facepalm when they think they can kill Scizor.

Threats

So far I have found Gengar to be the most difficult Pokemon to switch into. Ampharos can take a hit, but with access to wil o wisp and hex and sludge bomb and destiny bond, taking down Gengar is truly difficult, especially if it has a focus sash.

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Low Kick

Ampharos-Mega (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Taunt

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Bisharp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Red Lightning (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Shoutout to Beastly Grant/Might Ursaring for coming up with a great Mew Set!

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Thundurus can be a threat as it outspeeds keldeo and talon to t-bolt them, it can Knock off Mew, Focus Blast/ Superpower bisharp, and Hp ice Mega Ampharos. Other wise nice team :]

Another excellent team you got there. Honestly, even though you have Mega Ampharos, Talonflame can still be a threat. Mew can't really do much, Keldeo loses to BB, Scizor loses to Flare Blitz, and if they have rocks up they can beat your Talonflame. If Mega Ampharos goes down, Talon just has fun. I wanna say use Psyshock instead of Energy Ball on Mew, since it can still get rid of Keldeo, but not bulky waters such as Quagsire, Gastrodon, Rotom-W, etc. Since you have SD, use Jolly instead of Adamant on Talonflame to outspeed Thundurus. I do agree with AD impish john, Thundurus can be a threat. Just like Talonflame, if Mega Ampharos goes down, Thundurus sweeps. Great team, best of luck on the ladder, hope I helped.

Hey there,

I see you enjoy using my Mew, so I will give some quick comment on this team. I will not touch Mew since it is best as how it should be at the moment.

Firstly, I don't think Keldeo needs the Taunt as Hippowdon and Chansey won't stick around in front of Keldeo for obvious reason. Moreover, things that have Spore, which is by far only Amoonguss and Breloom, well Keldeo won't stay in front of them anyway unless the range is there. I will recommend dropping the Taunt and go for something like Calm Mind or Substitute. The former allows you to wall-break pretty decently especially if its threats are gone, while the latter avoid you from getting the Status or give a better sweeping chance for the incoming switch in. Notable, Talonflame faces hard time dealing with Keldeo behind the Subs, so is Thundurus.

For Talonflame, I will move 4 EVs SpD to Def to fare better with weak Priority move like ExtremeSpeed or Bullet Punch. Moreover, give U-turn to Talonflame instead of Roost, to bluff Choice Band and to safely switch out against stuff such as Tyranitar and Heatran...

For Bisharp, I will recommend having the EVs to be 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 HP which is enough to outspeed 0 Spe base 95 Pokemon, and it also outspeed general 208 Spe Bisharp too. Focus Sash is nice against stuff like Terrakion or Tyranitar but since you will not lead it too often, you can try Shuca Berry instead which give you survivality in necessary stuff like Landorus-T and Excadrill. You can still lead well with Shuca Bisharp against the like of Garchomp or Landorus-T, and he can still play a good role when you fail to Defog.

I don't think your team is so Gengar weak considering you have the strong Priority (Talonflame, Scizor), Bisharp and Mega Ampharos, and WoW Gengar is not so common compared to the common Life Orb variants. However, I spot Talonflame and Thundurus still be your threat since Ampharos can still be severely weakened. Rotom-W can be somewhat annoying to your team considering it can jump into so many things in your team and WoW hurts badly (except Mew). I also spot Dragonite as he can DD once in front of Keldeo and spam to sweep. Finally, Mega Sableye with Calm Mind and WoW means insta-win against your team, which, well, not good at all... Swords Dance Talonflame can help, but well it takes quite a lot from +1 Shadow Ball onwards, Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird deals quite little to Mega Sableye, and you lose one turn for Swords Dance while it can 2HKO you.
+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 153-181 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

My advice is to drop Scizor for something else since currently he is your weak link. Maybe throwing away Stealth Rock on Bisharp for this replacement instead. I will prefer Lum Berry Garchomp or Excadrill for the last slot, as it fights nicely against Rotom-W and Mega Sableye as well as hurts several stuff badly. U-turn on Talonflame can allow Rock Setter to flee from the field fast enough that you don't really need Defog sometimes, and Mew usually deals well with all of them with the exception of Clefable SR. If you must, go for Excadrill at the last slot instead as it also has Stealth Rock, fare pretty well against Thundurus lacking Focus Blast / Superpower, Rotom-W if you use Mold Breaker and Mega Sableye if it switches in. Plus, you can spin away stuff which give your Talonflame a better time.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey there,

I see you enjoy using my Mew, so I will give some quick comment on this team. I will not touch Mew since it is best as how it should be at the moment.

Firstly, I don't think Keldeo needs the Taunt as Hippowdon and Chansey won't stick around in front of Keldeo for obvious reason. Moreover, things that have Spore, which is by far only Amoonguss and Breloom, well Keldeo won't stay in front of them anyway unless the range is there. I will recommend dropping the Taunt and go for something like Calm Mind or Substitute. The former allows you to wall-break pretty decently especially if its threats are gone, while the latter avoid you from getting the Status or give a better sweeping chance for the incoming switch in. Notable, Talonflame faces hard time dealing with Keldeo behind the Subs, so is Thundurus.

For Talonflame, I will move 4 EVs SpD to Def to fare better with weak Priority move like ExtremeSpeed or Bullet Punch. Moreover, give U-turn to Talonflame instead of Roost, to bluff Choice Band and to safely switch out against stuff such as Tyranitar and Heatran...

For Bisharp, I will recommend having the EVs to be 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 HP which is enough to outspeed 0 Spe base 95 Pokemon, and it also outspeed general 208 Spe Bisharp too. Focus Sash is nice against stuff like Terrakion or Tyranitar but since you will not lead it too often, you can try Shuca Berry instead which give you survivability in necessary stuff like Landorus-T and Excadrill. You can still lead well with Shuca Bisharp against the like of Garchomp or Landorus-T, and he can still play a good role when you fail to Defog.

I don't think your team is so Gengar weak considering you have the strong Priority (Talonflame, Scizor), Bisharp and Mega Ampharos, and WoW Gengar is not so common compared to the common Life Orb variants. However, I spot Talonflame and Thundurus still be your threat since Ampharos can still be severely weakened. Rotom-W can be somewhat annoying to your team considering it can jump into so many things in your team and WoW hurts badly (except Mew). I also spot Dragonite as he can DD once in front of Keldeo and spam to sweep. Finally, Mega Sableye with Calm Mind and WoW means insta-win against your team, which, well, not good at all... Swords Dance Talonflame can help, but well it takes quite a lot from +1 Shadow Ball onwards, Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird deals quite little to Mega Sableye, and you lose one turn for Swords Dance while it can 2HKO you.
+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 153-181 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

My advice is to drop Scizor for something else since currently he is your weak link. Maybe throwing away Stealth Rock on Bisharp for this replacement instead. I will prefer Lum Berry Garchomp or Excadrill for the last slot, as it fights nicely against Rotom-W and Mega Sableye as well as hurts several stuff badly. U-turn on Talonflame can allow Rock Setter to flee from the field fast enough that you don't really need Defog sometimes, and Mew usually deals well with all of them with the exception of Clefable SR. If you must, go for Excadrill at the last slot instead as it also has Stealth Rock, fare pretty well against Thundurus lacking Focus Blast / Superpower, Rotom-W if you use Mold Breaker and Mega Sableye if it switches in. Plus, you can spin away stuff which give your Talonflame a better time.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
Thanks for looking at my team! I agree with all of the mentioned threats, and Talonflame and Thundurus are definitely the biggest ones. I was considering Air Balloon Bisharp, but sometimes I can use the sash to get a hit on something like Keldeo and Talonflame. Taunt has actually been pretty useful for me because it prevents opponents from using Slack Off, Toxic, Belly Drum, Wish, Defog, and basically stop most support. Scarf Excadrill looks like it can be a lot of help because I get a scarfed user, I keep a hazard remover, and Earthquake. Only downside would be the additional ground weakness and having to change the title of the team. I'll definitely give scarf Excadrill a try, and hopefully it goes well. U-turn on Talonflame sounds great, but not running roost is a bit risky. If Excadrill/Scizor goes down, or if the opponent has defensive Garchomp or Ferrothorn, then Talonflame dies way too quickly. I'll try a couple of battles and let you know how it went. THANKS!

Ampharos: Without Focus Blast for Excadrill or Ferrothorn, you should put your EVs back in Special defense (248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD Calm). That makes Ampharos a much better Gengar and Thundurus check, and it also allows Ampharos to use Rest-talk effectively (you need to avoid 3HKOs to use Rest-talk without being KO'd before you can rest again, and that takes a lot of bulk). Full special defense makes Ampharos about 19% bulkier and about 12% weaker. If you want some power back, go with an EV spread of 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD with Modest nature, which is about 7% bulkier and only 2% weaker than what you were running.

Mew: try out Earthquake over Low Kick. You still do good damage to Tyranitar and Bisharp, but Earthquake lets you smack Heatran and Charizard X who are pretty common Mew switchins (a lot of them expect Will-o-wisp...which you could try over Fire Blast in addition to lure them out better, but that's taking away from the idea of the set).

Keldeo: Run HP Electric over HP Rock. Remember that Scald and Secret Sword are both at least twice as strong as Hidden Power, so for it to be useful, Hidden Power needs to either be 4x effective or be 2x effective while the opponent resists both of Keldeo's stabs, and HP Electric also hits most of the Flying types that are weak to HP rock. Really, the only things that HP Rock is better against is Charizard Y, who is already 2HKO'd by Scald and you have a good switchin (Ampharos), and Dragonite, who admittedly can be an issue but at least it's scared of Scald. HP Electric mauls Gyarados, who actually resists both Scald and Secret Sword, and HP Electric also hits Slowbro, Azumarill, Tentacruel, and Starmie, all of them resist Keldeo's Stabs. Oh and HP Electric lets you keep your Speed IV at 31, so you can speed tie opposing Keldeo, Terrakion, Infernape, etc.

Talonflame: I recommend running Jolly on it, letting it outspeed Thundurus, Raikou, and other Talonflame (most Talonflame run Jolly with just enough speed to beat Raikou). All three of those pokemon are capable of running through your team if Ampharos goes down, while you have a couple of potential revenge killers for some of them (like Mew vs Thundurus), they can't switch in and your team will get worn down extremely quickly every time you let one of them switch in if Ampharos is down.

Between Scizor and Bisharp, I don't think you need both. They stack weaknesses to pokemon like Raikou, Talonflame, and Keldeo. I don't know off the top of my head any replacement that will cover all of your weaknesses while still doing the hazards role, but you can at least cover some of your weaknesses. For example Mamoswine > Bisharp gives you an even more effective stealth rock setter and a way to handle Raikou and revenge kill Thundurus. Another idea is LO Starmie>Keldeo, giving you a little more freedom to replace Scizor as Starmie can Rapid Spin.

TPP

Head TD
Ampharos: Without Focus Blast for Excadrill or Ferrothorn, you should put your EVs back in Special defense (248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD Calm). That makes Ampharos a much better Gengar and Thundurus check, and it also allows Ampharos to use Rest-talk effectively (you need to avoid 3HKOs to use Rest-talk without being KO'd before you can rest again, and that takes a lot of bulk). Full special defense makes Ampharos about 19% bulkier and about 12% weaker. If you want some power back, go with an EV spread of 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD with Modest nature, which is about 7% bulkier and only 2% weaker than what you were running.

Mew: try out Earthquake over Low Kick. You still do good damage to Tyranitar and Bisharp, but Earthquake lets you smack Heatran and Charizard X who are pretty common Mew switchins (a lot of them expect Will-o-wisp...which you could try over Fire Blast in addition to lure them out better, but that's taking away from the idea of the set).

Keldeo: Run HP Electric over HP Rock. Remember that Scald and Secret Sword are both at least twice as strong as Hidden Power, so for it to be useful, Hidden Power needs to either be 4x effective or be 2x effective while the opponent resists both of Keldeo's stabs, and HP Electric also hits most of the Flying types that are weak to HP rock. Really, the only things that HP Rock is better against is Charizard Y, who is already 2HKO'd by Scald and you have a good switchin (Ampharos), and Dragonite, who admittedly can be an issue but at least it's scared of Scald. HP Electric mauls Gyarados, who actually resists both Scald and Secret Sword, and HP Electric also hits Slowbro, Azumarill, Tentacruel, and Starmie, all of them resist Keldeo's Stabs. Oh and HP Electric lets you keep your Speed IV at 31, so you can speed tie opposing Keldeo, Terrakion, Infernape, etc.

Talonflame: I recommend running Jolly on it, letting it outspeed Thundurus, Raikou, and other Talonflame (most Talonflame run Jolly with just enough speed to beat Raikou). All three of those pokemon are capable of running through your team if Ampharos goes down, while you have a couple of potential revenge killers for some of them (like Mew vs Thundurus), they can't switch in and your team will get worn down extremely quickly every time you let one of them switch in if Ampharos is down.

Between Scizor and Bisharp, I don't think you need both. They stack weaknesses to pokemon like Raikou, Talonflame, and Keldeo. I don't know off the top of my head any replacement that will cover all of your weaknesses while still doing the hazards role, but you can at least cover some of your weaknesses. For example Mamoswine > Bisharp gives you an even more effective stealth rock setter and a way to handle Raikou and revenge kill Thundurus. Another idea is LO Starmie>Keldeo, giving you a little more freedom to replace Scizor as Starmie can Rapid Spin.
Thanks for looking at the team. I agree that Ampharos should be bulkier since its more of a special wall. Low Kick is used to 1HKO T-Tar and Bisharp, if I had EQ, then Mew dies from Pursuit. Fully defensive T-tar gives about 70% with Crunch/Pursuit switch damage, so running EQ gets Mew Killed without killing Tyranitar. Low Kick is able to 2HKO Heatran, so if Mew can hit it on a switch in, Heatran will either die from staying in, or let someone else switch in (could be dangerous for the rest of the team). Right now on Keldeo I'm trying out HP Fire (I'm also running stallbreaker Talonflame so I needed a fire move). I'm really considering using analytic Starmie with Hydro Pump, Psyshock, Rapid Spin/ Ice Beam, Recover/ HP Fire. Starmie can be really underrated offensively and its hard to switch in with analytic being used. I have Bisharp because I wanted a strong physical member to go with Talonflame. Mamoswine could work because his Ice Shard would be very handy against Lando and Thundurus. Bisharp is also handy as he can force defog users to use defog and boost his attack. Scizor is bulkier than he looks, and he's a reliable answer against Mega Lopunny and Mega Metagross so far, so I'll keep him. I just remembered that Keldeo is there just for Dark and Rock types like T-Tar and Bisharp. Starmie dies to Pursuit and Sucker Punch and I would have no poke that resists rock for Talonflame. Thanks again!

52 Atk Expert Belt Mew Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 298-350 (73.9 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

52 Atk Expert Belt Mew Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 122-146 (30.2 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Most of this might have been said already, I really only skimmed the above.

First, I would go for a Choice Band on Scizor over the current utility set you have now. Scizor will most likely be spamming Bullet Punch or U-Turn in most spots, so from that standpoint a Choice Band set would allow you to get the most damage possible. I would also go with Jolly Talonflame over Adamant, and creep some EVs into bulk. A spread of 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe allows you to outspeed base 115s, and important benchmark due to the rise of Raikou, as it resists Brave Bird. You should also run HP Electric over HP Rock on Keldeo, as was said above, as HP Elec hits Gyarados harder. As far as Char-Y goes, it really doesn't like switching in on Keldeo because Scald / Hydro Pump is the most spammable move, and even then SDef Amphy (also suggested above) is a great Char-Y check. I would also go Calm Mind > Taunt, as Taunt Keldeo isn't great against Mega Eye stall, which is one of the top stall styles right now.

You already have a Lati check in Scizor, and Rocks Bisharp isn't great. I would make the change from Bisharp to Clefable. Clefable has very good defensive synergy with your Volt Turn core, and it can also run Heal Bell to wake up Mega Ampharos earlier. Fairy-Dragon-Steel is a good backbone defensively to fall back on. I know you said you liked EBelt Mew, but the easiest move to fit hazard removal on is Mew > Latias, while keeping your core intact.

Hope this helps. It seems like an awful lot but there's really only one major core change and another major suggestion, and then some minor adjustments. Petty nice team overall.

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Superpower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Calm Mind

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

---

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost
- Defog

TPP

Head TD
Most of this might have been said already, I really only skimmed the above.

First, I would go for a Choice Band on Scizor over the current utility set you have now. Scizor will most likely be spamming Bullet Punch or U-Turn in most spots, so from that standpoint a Choice Band set would allow you to get the most damage possible. I would also go with Jolly Talonflame over Adamant, and creep some EVs into bulk. A spread of 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe allows you to outspeed base 115s, and important benchmark due to the rise of Raikou, as it resists Brave Bird. You should also run HP Electric over HP Rock on Keldeo, as was said above, as HP Elec hits Gyarados harder. As far as Char-Y goes, it really doesn't like switching in on Keldeo because Scald / Hydro Pump is the most spammable move, and even then SDef Amphy (also suggested above) is a great Char-Y check. I would also go Calm Mind > Taunt, as Taunt Keldeo isn't great against Mega Eye stall, which is one of the top stall styles right now.

You already have a Lati check in Scizor, and Rocks Bisharp isn't great. I would make the change from Bisharp to Clefable. Clefable has very good defensive synergy with your Volt Turn core, and it can also run Heal Bell to wake up Mega Ampharos earlier. Fairy-Dragon-Steel is a good backbone defensively to fall back on. I know you said you liked EBelt Mew, but the easiest move to fit hazard removal on is Mew > Latias, while keeping your core intact.

Hope this helps. It seems like an awful lot but there's really only one major core change and another major suggestion, and then some minor adjustments. Petty nice team overall.

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Superpower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Calm Mind

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

---

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost
- Defog
Hey, thanks for the rate! I really appreciate it. Scizor, I think I might just keep the set I have because I wanna keep defog on him, and he's the go to guy when Mega Lopunny comes out. I was trying out stallbreaker Talonflame and had HP fire on Keldeo to have at least 1 fire move for Ferrothorn and Scizor, but the addition of Clefable with fire blast works out perfectly. I will immediately try out Clefable as typing wise, its still a very good team, and I get a little more coverage. That way I can use another HP on Keldeo, and HP Electric looks like a good one. I have actually had a lot of success with Taunt on Keldeo. I know Calm mind helps with Sableye, but Taunt forces switch outs when I taunt SR users and prevent wish, slack off, and rest users from healing. It also prevents set up sweepers from setting up, and therefore not sweeping. I like the Talonflame set, and I calced some things and it looks very promising. I think you meant to say Latios > Mew earlier. I know Latios with defog can allow me to run Scizor with Choice Band, but Mew is easily the most important member of the team, because of all the surprise KO's it can get. Killing lead Garchomps or Tyranitars right off the bat makes the rest of the battle a whole lot easier. Also, if I did add Latios, half of my team (Latios, Mega Ampharos, and Keldeo) would be weak to fairy, with Scizor and Talonflame being the only ones to resist it. But overall, I will keep the Talonflame set, try out Clefable, use HP Electric and keep Mew instead of Latios. I just calced this and I could just replace HP with Calm Mind. It would look like the calm mind substitute set, but I have taunt instead, and with +1, Hydro Pump actually 1HKO Mega Sableye(at +0), so I might run Hydro Pump because of the extra ~30% it does. I'll try it out too. THANKS AGAIN, and I'll let you know how everything turns out.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 308-364 (101.3 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)