2015 Musics - Join us at #Tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm in love with Michelle Chamuel's debut album under her own name. (She's done more electronic-y stuff before as "The Reverb Junkie" and also fronting a band called "Ella Riot.") Face the Fire is one of the best album purchases I've made in years. Headphones a must. So much going on. Admittedly it has a stronger front half than back half, but I can look past that for the good lyrics, great production, and her distinctive tone.

Also super excited for Rozzi Crane's debut album later this year. There's an EP out right now with half of the album's songs, and I can't wait for the rest. Her voice makes me a little hard, ngl.

Finally, I haven't had a chance to listen to all of Marina and the Diamonds' new album Froot yet, just the singles that were already out. But that's bound to be good too.

Also wow these are all somewhat similar genre-wise. I like a lot of things... these all just happen to be 2015 releases.

listening to jenny death now, feeling kinda iffy on it. suppose they could never really live up to hype, much prefer notm

have yet to listen to the new sufjan, kendrick, modest mouse. the only album i've really come back to multiple times is the new viet cong, this year has been kinda flat for me so far, feel like i'm missing all the best releases heh

definitely listen to the new kendrick and sufjan
i listened to the new lightning bolt and that shit is lame. some of the percussion is cool but the record is devoid of cool ideas for the most part. not really that noisey, not really that interesting, not really that anything
up next for me is the new matana roberts, death grips, and maybe pop group

the only beats i can tolerate on the album are the blacker the berry and king kunta to a certain extent

too jazzy / funky, too many interludes that broke up the flow of the album, kendrick's accent thing is intolerable

i've never liked anything that thundercat and flylo have been affiliated with (except blood on the leaves i guess..) and tpab was no exception honestly god i fucking hate jazz

yeah if you hate jazz then it's pretty hard to like this thing.

i disagree on the flow though. the whole poem before certain track things is brilliant because it'll tell you the nature of the song, and it connects with the ending track. and the project is super cohesive. the tracks w/o the poem in the beginning show kendrick's, or whatever character kendrick is playing, maturation process.

i just finished my third or fourth helping of this and i think it's clear that kendrick has improved on all fronts.
1. He's a way better songwriter. No lame hooks like on Real anymore. Dope outros and beat changes. The poem before track thing that I mentioned earlier
2. Total control over features. This is the first hip hop album since Take Me To Your Leader where I feel that the rapper had total control over the features and used each of them to execute his vision of the album. Rapping wise, he doesn't share the mic with someone inferior like Drake, Jay Rock, or Dre, with the exception being Rapsody who has a nice verse that ties nicely into the Complexion track, so her inferiority as a rapper doesn't make the track weaker. I wish that Kanye could have this kind of control over Jay on a lot of the Ye tracks Hov is featured on. He managed 80+ people and created a project that is as unified lyrically as it is musically.
3. I can't provide specific examples of better lyricism, but his ability to flow has definitely improved. Not many rappers can do spoken word, and ride over boom bap and bass lines, and few would have the balls to do it all on the same album.
4. way bigger risk taker. for me good kid was very safe, both in its not at all subtle story line and its production. for this record you have to manage the poem, the lucy storyline, the character's maturation throughout the record, and how the final track ties it all together. that's pretty dense for a commercial rapper. mortal man is a huge risk, and the first time i listened to it i didn't think it payed off. i thought that the final poem tried too hard to explain the meaning of the album's title. the ending does more than that though. the final poem incorporates elements of titles of tracks (at the very least Institutionalized / These Walls), which makes me wonder if even the titles of the track play a part in a larger poem; i still gotta work out that theory with more listens. the 2pac thing works out because the interview sounds organic, and the Nat Turner part of the interview is especially striking to me b/c Killer Mike said something recently when he lectured at my school.

I think that the weak tracks are You Ain't Gotta Lie, Complexion, and maybe Momma. Those songs are hardly weak tho. I'd rate them 3.5/5.

TL DR; i think this album is flames.

Kanye loved Kendrick's new record. Hopefully this gets him to start all over on his new record. Only One is unbearable. All Day is good but I think that now isn't the time for a record of bangers. There are plenty of other people doing that. If the most popular rapper alive (Kanye) did a dope conscious album then this could be the most important year in hip hop that I've been alive for.

General consensus on albums I was excited for and dropped so far.

Joey Bada$$ - b4.da.$$: Solid project pretty much standard Joey throwing out a lot of quotables but with a few more personal tracks here and there.

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth: Was really iffy to give Lupe another chance after the last few projects being a bit disappointing but he delivered on this album to an extent where I was able to enjoy it.

Fashawn - The Ecology: Really solid project by itself but really doesnt compare well to Boy Meets World. I was expecting a little too much but still enjoyed the album overall.

Ghostface Killah/BBNG: As a big fan of both I came into this album with such high expectations so I came away a little disappointed with this album but there is definitely some standout moments.

Cannibal Ox - Blade of Ronin: Really was expecting this album to be a struggle without El-P production and to my dissapoint I was correct and this album was just boring.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly : This album really blew me away I was scared that we were going to get a gkmc 2 but instead got a project that addresses important issues of today. Sucks that a lot of main stream fans are divided but hey I loved it.

Action Bronson - Mr. Wonderful: Too much filler, was pretty underwhelming compared to what I was expecting.

Earl Sweatshirt - IDLSIDGO: I was excited for this project and so far find myself very much enjoying it. Kind of sucks that it was so short though.

Also there is this project by somebody named Courtney Barnett I really enjoyed forgot the name.

Music this year is fun. Bye.

edit: Pls recommend not hiphop stuff if you have a chance.

Last edited:
dunno if anyone cares abt grime here but some of the most interesting shit thats happened in grime since like 2007 been droppin recently

chip(munk) dropped a track dissing bugzy malone, big narstie, and devilman:
bugzy's response (ether):
devilman's response / skepta diss:
skepta's response to devilman:
big narstie's response (not a song):

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
some new hudmo dropped. i'm really excited for lantern to come out

here's some stuff from an australian guy called JaysWays. he hasn't put out much except for like an EP or whatever, he popped up as an entrant for this thing called 'unearthed high' that's run by triple j (a nationally broadcasted station) where highschool kids upload their stuff and the winner gets a free concert at their school by them and some huge artist/band + the get to go into triple j and record a track that then gets released. this track is a remix of one of my favourite's; Cosmo's Midnight - The Dofflin

lastly, this is a couple months old now but mr. carmack made a pretty dope remix of that OT Genasis track 'im in love with the coco'

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
reso's ricochet lp dropped today, and it's massive! it's a literal non-stop drum-filled hour long ride, and the amount of detail in each track is amazing. this definitely is my album of the year so far.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Major disappointment. I wanted to give Three Days Grace's new singer a chance, but the lyrics are so repetitive that it brings down even the best tracks on the album. And that's the thing - most of the songs on this album are good, but the lyrics are repeated so much that even the best songs on this album are inferior to 3DG's old stuff before Adam Gontier quit - even Life Starts Now is better than this album and that was what I previously viewed as Three Days Grace's worst album. What's worse, if I hadn't known beforehand that "Landmine" and "Nothing's Fair in Love and War" were done by Three Days Grace, I would have assumed Linkin Park did those songs.

Also, I can't be the only one who hears auto-tune on "The Real You."

Highlights: "I Am Machine," "Fallen Angel," "Car Crash," "One Too Many"
Stinkers: "Landmine," "Human Race," "Nothing's Fair in Love and War"

Overall: C-

Major disappointment. I wanted to give Three Days Grace's new singer a chance, but the lyrics are so repetitive that it brings down even the best tracks on the album. And that's the thing - most of the songs on this album are good, but the lyrics are repeated so much that even the best songs on this album are inferior to 3DG's old stuff before Adam Gontier quit - even Life Starts Now is better than this album and that was what I previously viewed as Three Days Grace's worst album. What's worse, if I hadn't known beforehand that "Landmine" and "Nothing's Fair in Love and War" were done by Three Days Grace, I would have assumed Linkin Park did those songs.

Also, I can't be the only one who hears auto-tune on "The Real You."

Highlights: "I Am Machine," "Fallen Angel," "Car Crash," "One Too Many"
Stinkers: "Landmine," "Human Race," "Nothing's Fair in Love and War"

Overall: C-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)