The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Some dumb things:
-Voltorb using Selfdestruct on my Haunter
-Magmar using Fire Punch on my Flash Fire Arcanine
-Rayquaza Flying when he could've killed me with Outrage
-A wild Tauros using a normal-type attack (don't remember which) on my Steelix

While a very stupid thing, I am certainly most grateful for it.

So, I'm doing a White Nuzlocke, and I get to the Route above Mistralton City, and battle the Triple Battle Trainer with a Watchog, Swoobat and Liepard. I send out my Gigalith, my newly evolved Cofagrigus and my Conkeldurr. After a couple of turns of everyone landing and taking damage, the Swoobat has racked up two Calm Minds. Bear in mind, it is in the middle, and so can hit anyone. I pray it doesn't use Air Slash for fear of my Conkeldurr fainting.

It uses Air Slash.

On my Cofagrigus.

The next turn, it uses Air Slash again.

On my Cofagrigus again. Don't worry, it tanked both hits.

After fainting the Swoobat before letting things get too close, I had to take a break to wonder why the AI didn't decide to rid me of my Fighting type. Perhaps the AI Gods showed mercy to me. It's a good job that my Yamask had evolved as well, otherwise I might have lost someone else right there and then. And Gigalith? Oh yeah, he thought it was pretty funny to have a Rock Slide miss two times.

Last edited:
I've been using the Vs Recorder's rebattle feature to try out my Mega Slowbro and one of the teams has a Primal Kyogre. This Kyogre has Water Pulse, Aqua Ring, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power. I don't know what HP it is, but it is Super Effective to Mega 'bro. More times than not, it picks Water Pulse. This usually lets me just set up Calm Mind after Calm Mind until I'm +6 in both Special Attack and Defense. Then I proceed to sweep.

I've been using the Vs Recorder's rebattle feature to try out my Mega Slowbro and one of the teams has a Primal Kyogre. This Kyogre has Water Pulse, Aqua Ring, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power. I don't know what HP it is, but it is Super Effective to Mega 'bro. More times than not, it picks Water Pulse. This usually lets me just set up Calm Mind after Calm Mind until I'm +6 in both Special Attack and Defense. Then I proceed to sweep.
It is like no secret that the Vs. Recorder AI is an idiot. It is no wonder that I'm rarely prepared for the difficulty of player vs. player battles!

Maybe it doesn't understand Hidden Power and thinks of it as just a Normal Typed move. Water Pulse would do comparable damage to a normal typed Hidden Power but has that 30% confusion rate.
But the thing is that it will spam HP multiple times then randomly switch to Water Pulse, or occasionally sprinkle one move when spamming the other. There isn't consistency. It's like I'm fighting the Twitch chat except they don't randomly switch either.

My experience in Emerald while i was training my Gardevoir at the exit of victory road:A hariyama appears,my gardevoir uses confusion.Hariyama had only about 10~20 HP left and Hariyama used belly drum (in order to maximize attack).

In the battle palace in Emerald's battle frontier,pokemon fight on their own.So it was my Blaziken against a Crobat,and blaziken uses sky upper cut thrice(missed once though) in a row until the Crobat used an aerial ace and ended the whole thing finally....

The AI in the Battle Factory keeps using Ice-type moves on my Magnezone. The first two times it happened, I just assumed it was Choice locked into it since it OHKOed my Dragonite. But this is a Vaporeon who just switched in. It should be using Surf since I highly doubt it doesn't have a STAB move (the Factory's Pokémon will have both STABs represented).

From Emerald:
"Foe is tightening its focus!"
Every. Single. Turn. This tends to happen, without fail, just by giving an AI-controlled mon Focus Punch.

From Emerald:
Every. Single. Turn. This tends to happen, without fail, just by giving an AI-controlled mon Focus Punch.
I guess you could forgive Brawly's Meditite for that, because its only move that causes damage (either direct or indirect) is Focus Punch, but it should have actual moves...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found that rotation battles at the Maison produce some awesome instances of AI 'genius'. Most recently I was grinding through with my Sandstorm + Trick Room Mega Steelix team and I ran into a Furisode Girl (all Eeveelutions) who lead with Vaporeon, Glaceon and Jolteon. I was a little worried since Vaporeon being a bulky water meant it would give me trouble, especially since Jolteon took away my sand by setting up Rain Dance turn 1, but then she decided to rotate between Glaceon and Jolteon while repeatedly setting up Hail and Rain. I know this isn't the first instance of dual weather being used, I just though it was extra dumb since she could have just used Vaporeon to pull apart my team with rain-boosted water moves, but nah, better to just spam weather!

Rotation battles in general are awesome for this stuff, so I highly recommend you try them out if you haven't

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've found that rotation battles at the Maison produce some awesome instances of AI 'genius'. Most recently I was grinding through with my Sandstorm + Trick Room Mega Steelix team and I ran into a Furisode Girl (all Eeveelutions) who lead with Vaporeon, Glaceon and Jolteon. I was a little worried since Vaporeon being a bulky water meant it would give me trouble, especially since Jolteon took away my sand by setting up Rain Dance turn 1, but then she decided to rotate between Glaceon and Jolteon while repeatedly setting up Hail and Rain. I know this isn't the first instance of dual weather being used, I just though it was extra dumb since she could have just used Vaporeon to pull apart my team with rain-boosted water moves, but nah, better to just spam weather!

Rotation battles in general are awesome for this stuff, so I highly recommend you try them out if you haven't
It seems like the AI has problem using multi-weather team. There was an older post of the AI using a weather + Castform team but kept changing weather instead of attacking. They may want to check the AI's priority for setting up weather as it seems a bit off as it thinks if the weather is not the weather the Pokemon it has out is using it must change it even if they previously has its other Pokemon changed it.

When I have done Rotation Battles, the opponent will just constantly switch in the same direction. The example I have is Serperior, then rotate to Ho-Oh, then rotate to Zekrom, then back to Serperior, then back to Ho-Oh. I was just Boombursting them into oblivion with Exploud. It was hilarious. The first rotation was the strangest since it was Serperior vs. Swampert.

Here's some possibly clairvoyant AI:

I was playing Platinum and I had gotten to the point where I teamed up with Dawn and her Clefairy against two Galactic Grunts with Zubats. Well, I was Exp. Share grinding something else at the time (I forgot what), so I lead with it, then switch to my then newly evolved Torterra. The Zubats both attacked the Clefairy, but it lived with enough HP to use... Gravity. Let me remind you that Torterra learns Earthquake upon evolving from Grotle. Next turn, I hit EQ, taking out both Zubats, and, as thanks for setting Gravity, taking out Clefairy as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)