Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to share a few cores that I have been having some success with lately.

Up first we have a core around mega gallade, who is one of my favorie megas btw :p.
Gallade_XY.gif
+
Landorus_Therian_Forme_XY.gif
+
Raikou_XY.gif

Gallade, as we know, is one of the best wall breakers around with a great speed tier and a fair amount of bulk. Gallade struggles against bulky flying types, ground, psychic, fairies, and sableye >:( These problems can be fixed by coverage moves of either knock of or ice punch. I however, tend to run ice punch on gallade because of personal taste. These mons can get rid of each others checks with Gallade getting rid of venusaur, ferrothorn, rotom, scizor, jirachi, tyanitar, mamoswine, and celibi all of which stop its teammates while lando and raikou get rid of skarmory, latis, gross, and slowbro which stop gallade. They also form a volturn core FTW :) which allows either raikou or gallade to set up with swords dance or calm mind respectively (if raikou is running cm). Its crazy how much work the core puts on teams. They are all very fast and relatively bulky so they can be played on HO, bulky offense, or balance. They also help each other with resistances with raikou resisting bird spam (lando is also a decent answer), lando resisting ground, and raikou being able to eat scalds and also abuse thundy.
Sets
(Gallade) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
I'd rather run ice punch to destroy the annoying landos and gliscors on the switch especially because lando has knock off for psychics and raikou shits on slowbro.

(Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
A calm mind set also works well with calm mind replacing volt switch and substitute/extrasensory replacing shadow ball. I just like the immediate power and volt-turn.

(Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Next up is a duo of pokemon, consisting of mega venusaur and kyureum-b
Venusaur_Mega_XY.gif
+
Kyurem_Black_XY.gif

These two work extremely well with venusaur being able to sponge hits, put things to sleep, and kill fairies for kyurem while kyurem kills pretty much everything lol. The beautiful thing about these two is that you have a fair amount of diversity with venusaur being able to run a defensive or offensive set while kyurem can be mainly specially or physically offensive. These two put allot of strain on both balance and stall to an extent. Venusaur kills slowbro , scizor and ferrothorn (if running hp fire), keldo, garchomp, scarf lando, and mega sceptile for kyurem while kyurem kills gliscor, sableye (if special or physical too I guess lol), goodra, heatran, dragonite, and overall anything on the switch for venusaur. This core hates bird spam and metagross/latis so it is important to have something that can deal with them, but it really isn't a problem because they are easy to build around. These two fit best onto balance and stall teams from my experience (kyurem being a lone offensive pokemon on stall) but can also work on HO. They synenergize very well overall. However, Ferrothorn and Heatran are also very annoying if kyurem is physical and venusaur lacks hp fire.
Sets
(Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
A substitute set is also viable as kyurem can come in on many things that can't damage it or are asleep.

And now my favorite atm
Charizard_MegaX_XY.gif
+
Azumarill_XY.gif
+
Raikou_XY.gif

Mega charizard x is still as powerful as ever and now has even more prey in oras. Zard has problems that most fire/dragon types have and that's getting past bulky water, rock, and fairy types. Azumarill solves the rock problem while grass and steel types are dealt with by zard while raikou kills off flying types and water types while the latis, tyranitar, ground types, and bulky steel types are checked by its partners. This team is just plain fun to use on HO and it holds its ground while being used on a balanced team. With two of the most powerful pokemon in OU being DD Zard and CB Azumarill its hard for anything to switch in. I messed around with double dance zard and the damage output was awesome as zard ohkos mega altaria and azumarill (two of it's best "checks") after rocks with a swords dance, however zard gets worn down far to easilly but it certainly is, in my opinion, more desirable to be able to choose between SD and DD/Tailwind but it is a necessity that you would have a healing wish user/wish passer on your team if you decide to use the double dance set. Because of this I went with the standard DD set for zard. Azumarill is the standard banded set, AV isn't advisable for being rather mediocre right now. Raikou is a calm mind set, which unlike my gallade core is far better than the specs set as a u-turner isn't present and it can easily sweep because of the wear and tear that zard and azumarill cause on other teams, he also shits all over thundy. Defog support is a must for zard and something to get rocks up and check fairies is more than welcome, because of this ferrothorn makes an excellent partner while forming a FWG and a SDF core.
Sets
(Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
standard stuff

(Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
I like super power more than knock off only for the reason that i can pretty much guarantee and ohko on both heatran and ferrothorn, which is a common defensive core, and it allows its teammates to have a better time.

(Raikou) @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory
- Calm Mind
Substitute can be used over extrasensory but i find it more useful to hurt venusaur and conk

Last edited:
This is my first time posting on Smogon after lurking for a while, so please be gentle. I didn't see any cores like this in the OP or any other posts, so I thought I would give it a shot. Here is a core I've had some success with. It's kind of a balanced/defensive core that relies on pivoting to pressure opponents, achieving chip damage and weakening the opposing team for a strong fast sweeper to clean up late game.
Defensive/Balanced Core:

Garchomp + Slowking + Clefable

The core works well because all three of these pokemon possess the ability to pivot between each other’s weaknesses effectively. Garchomp has weakness to three common attacking types: fairy, dragon, and a quad weakness to ice. Clefable is immune to dragon type attacks, Slowking resists ice type attacks, and both Clefable and Slowking are capable of tanking fairy type attacks, which hit neutrally and have fairly low base power on average. Clefable is weak to poison and steel attacks, which are resisted by Garchomp and Slowking, respectively. Finally Slowking is weak to Bug, Grass, Ghost, Electric, and Dark attacks. Bug is resisted by Clefable and is rare, and RockyChomp punishes U-Turn users fairly effectively. Grass hits the other two in the core neutrally and most grass types are dual types that fear Slowking’s Psychic STAB or Fire coverage from Chomp/Clef/King. Garchomp is immune to electric type attacks and HP ice coverage does nothing to Slowking or Clefable. Clefable resists dark types and RockyChomp threatens most of them due to the physical nature of dark type moves. Ghost types are fairly rare, with only Gengar being a prominent threat.

Basically the main idea of the core is to hard switch into resistances and immunities and threaten opposing pokemon with decently strong STAB attacks backed by incredible coverage options, status, and entry hazard damage. Slowking and Clefable both have the option to heal HP, as well, keeping them healthy while wearing down opponents. The core opens the way for speedy attackers or priority users to clean up late game.

This core does have some problems with strong walls, fairy types, and certain fast powerful attackers. In the replays, I found quite a bit of success on the ladder using this core with substitute Mega-Alakazam, Choice Scarf Terrakion, and Swords Dance/Bullet Punch/Knock Off/Roost Scizor though CB Scizor seems like a valid option as well. All three of these pokemon can force switches effectively, allowing for pivoting into the pokemon in the core. Scizor can take out Fairy Types and Gengar, and Choice Scarf Terrakion can threaten pretty much any pokemon aside from priority users due to its nearly unmatched speed. In most (if not all) of the replays below, Mega Alakazam acts as my late game cleaner after the opposing team is sufficiently weakened and can be incredibly threatening from behind a substitute.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast / Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic / Endure

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 132 SpA / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Psyshock / Psychic / Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Dragon Tail

Garchomp
Garchomp is a variation of the standard RockyChomp, with 248 HP EVs for bulk and HP number, 92 Spe EVs to outspeed max speed base 70s (Bisharp, Breloom, base Metagross, and Mega Swampert not under rain), and with the rest of the EVs dumped into defense. An Impish nature is used to maximize Garchomp’s defense, while lowering Garchomp’s SpA. Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin in tandem punish physical attackers, especially against teams that rely on chip damage through Fake Out or U-Turn. Rocks is mandatory as the core can force many switches. Dragon Tail is a decent stab and has the benefit of phazing out opponents, though fairy types are immune. Toxic also helps to get chip damage on opposing walls, and the pesky steel resistance can be remedied with the last moveslot. The last moveslot can be used for Earthquake or Fire Blast. Earthquake is another strong stab, but it has many prevalent resists and immunities. I use Fire Blast to nail opposing Scizor/Skarmory/Ferrothorn who commonly switch in and try to set up their own hazards or clear Chomp’s away, and it hits pretty hard even with a negative SpA nature.

Slowking
Slowking equipped with an Assault Vest and Regenerator makes an amazing pivot with the ability to heal 33% of its health upon switching, and with this core it will be doing a lot of switching. The set runs 248 HP EVs, 92 Def EVs, 36 SpD EVs, with the rest of the EVs invested in special attack. With the Assault Vest and a Calm Nature, Slowking’s special defense reaches an impressive 436, and Slowking’s defense reaches a decent 217, which is enough to survive two pursuits at full health from Scarf Tyranitar and return a 2HKO with Scald under Sand if Tyranitar has switched into rocks twice. Hydro Pump and Surf are other water STAB options, but are generally inferior due to their lack of burn chance. Psychic stab options include Psychic/Psyshock/Future Sight and can vary depending on what the team needs. Note that all three, especially Future Sight, are exploitable by common dark types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar. Fire Blast is a nice coverage option for Ferrothorn and steels who loves to come in on Slowking. The final moveslot has several options depending on a team’s needs. DragonTail is a nice phazing option. Ice Beam can destroy omnipresent quad-ice weaknesses on the switch. I suppose even Grass Knot or Shadow Ball are options for other bulky waters or psychics, respectively, but these both seem kinda gimmicky.

Clefable
The final member of the core is Clefable, who is incredibly adaptable. I run Magic Guard over Unaware so that Clefable can act as a status absorber and is immune to entry hazards, which are both wonderful traits in a pivot. The EV spread is standard mixed defenses with 252 HP EVs, 172 Def EVs, and 84 SpD EVs and a Calm Nature. This spread, combined with Clefable’s typing rounds out the core nicely, with Clefable being able to stall out status or force switches with Softboiled and/or Calm Mind. Flamethrower provides good coverage alongside STAB Moonblast, but Clefable has other options, though most of them are poorer choices. Thunderbolt is slashed with flamethrower because both Gyara forms can give this core trouble.

EDIT: Added some suggestions and slashes on movesets. Also, sorry for posting so many replays - I just really like replays.

Last edited:
This probably wont change a thing but would it be worth considering endure *TFL CHOMP* on the garchomp set instead of toxic? Also i think Earthquake should also get a mention on tank chomp as heatran kind of beats you otherwise in a 1v1 situation. Other Then that cool core! Also Welcome 2 smogon.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core: Mega Pinsir + Manaphy + Mamoswine

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Rain Dance / Hidden Power [Fire]

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

These 3 cover a large portion of threats in the current metagame and work well together in breaking down each other’s checks and counters.

Pinsir is the primary offensive sweeper / threat with insane power thanks to Aerilate and the ability to boost with Swords Dance. Pinsir just gobbles up bulky Grass types like Celebi and Mega Venusaur. Quick Attack is paramount in checking a variety of faster threats like Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill and Serperior. Close Combat in the last moveslot over Earthquake to bop stuff like Choice Scarf Ttar which is more of a threat to this core than Heatran, and also Mamoswine already provides a powerful Earthquake.

Manaphy was added to help with annoying physically fat mons like Slowbro, Hippowdon and Skarmory. I’ve been switching between Rain Dance and HP Fire – Rain Dance makes it a nice status tank and gives the core a better matchup against stall so that’s why I made it the main slash. However HP Fire is nice for taking out Ferrothorn which is a really common switch-in to Manaphy – even though Pinsir can break through it, Iron Barbs and Leech Seed are just a real pain in the ass and Gyro Ball / Thunder Wave are pretty threatening. Ice Beam is not needed because Mamoswine has powerful Ice STAB and Psychic isn’t really necessary considering it primarily hits Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss which Pinsir deals with easily. If running HP [Fire] on Manaphy move 4 EVs from SpA to Speed to account for the missing speed IV.

Mamoswine is an awesome physical wallbreaker that takes out things like Lando-T and most importantly Rotom-Wash which is Pinsir’s main counter. Ice Shard is crazy valuable in the current metagame against threats like RP Lando-I and DD Mega Altaria. This is also the main check to Electric types like Raikou and Mega Manectric which are otherwise pretty threatening to the core. Thundurus is a problem if it carries Focus Blast, though. Teams are often just not that prepared for Mamoswine, so chances are it can put in work for you if you play it right.

This core does carry 2 forms of priority but is still not all that fast so having either a Choice Scarfer, Thunder Wave abuser, a really fast mon or just some form of speed control is helpful for dealing with fast threats like Mega Metagross and Sand Rush Excadrill which outspeed and put in work against this core. I’ve personally been running a LO Latios with Tailwind for after it Defogs and it lets Mamoswine run rampant for a couple of turns. SD Talonflame is a pretty big threat as well so your usual checks to that such as TankChomp, Ttar, Heatran and Rotom-W can work as partners. Of course a defogger for Pinsir is needed and more checks to stuff like Lopunny, Thundurus, Metagross, Diancie and setup sweepers should be paired with this core.

heres a interesting volt turn core for you guys.

Raikou+Tornadus-Therian Balance/Offensive core

+

This is a pretty nice and diverse volt-turn core that can fit on pretty much and playstyle bar stall. Raikou and tornadus-t are pretty good right now torn-t especially as torn-t is one of the few solid answers for lando-i while raikou is a good answer to the ever so common stall breaker talon who is getting more popular again. What makes this a good core is how well it supports the team. Volt turn is known for letting mons get free switchins that have a hard time coming for free such as mega drill and mega scept mons who really dont like taking hits very well. Torn and raikou help aid mons like that by giving them more free chances to come in. Hit and run type mons such as kyurem-black also fit well with these two as well as mixed mega altaria. Torn-t can really help teams that have trouble with the blob chansey by knocking off her item or help get rid of ferrothorn with heat wave. Raikou pairs well with torn as it removes rotom-w who otherwise laughs at torn-t. Pokemon such as slowbro or amoongus work wonders with this core as they can take a hit and create more momentum. Offensive partners such as mega gyarados can work well with these two (earthquake ones even more) as gyara can help remove rotom if it carries earthquake and torn+raikou can remove stuff that stop gyara otherwise such as keldeo or chestnaught and ferrothorn. volt-turn users such as landorus-T , Mega scizor and cobalion work well with these two also. Defensive wise torn is immune to raikous only weakness ground. while raikou resists electric type moves for torn. Somthing to handle mamoswine (while not common) as earthquake+icicle crash/ice shard beats this core. Make sure to also have a nice defensive backbone or 1-2 sweepers who like their checks weakned. If You end up having problems the gyara lo clefable or cm clefable with t-bolt is a option.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP /160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Raikou @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should run some HP investment on Torn-T since it's AV. I'd recommend cutting the SpA down to 160 as that still OHKOs Keldeo with Hurricane and pouring the rest into HP. The standard spread actually runs 216 Spe 132 HP 160 SpA but running more speed is fine (although more recommended on LO sets)

This probably wont change a thing but would it be worth considering endure *TFL CHOMP* on the garchomp set instead of toxic? Also i think Earthquake should also get a mention on tank chomp as heatran kind of beats you otherwise in a 1v1 situation. Other Then that cool core! Also Welcome 2 smogon.
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback! I do mention Earthquake as an option for Garchomp, but I've found a lot more utility with Fire Blast. Hitting Heatran is not much of concern most of the time because Slowking handles it so well. Really the worst thing Tran can do to King is status it/set up rocks and then switch out, but that means Tran will be taking rocks damage and something else has to risk a scald burn or a well predicted coverage move. Even if Slowking dies, the sweepers I use with the core can take out Heatran no problem, especially considering Tran can be worn down so easily with the core.

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 238-282 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 372-440 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Endure on Chomp seems like a nice option to get extra damage off on an unsuspecting physical attacker that tries to finish him off, and it's +3 priority is a huge plus too. Actually, I imagine that Endure would make Chomp an even bigger pain to physical attackers, especially if it starts forcing 50/50s with a second endure.
Toxic is fun though because it can completely screw over Rotom-W due to its predictability. Opponents love to lead Rotom-W when they see an opposing Garchomp on team preview, and with some prediction-based switches, you can take a good chunk of its HP away while losing very little on your end.

And just so this post isn't all a reply to your post, I have some more replays.

I was able to use CM Clef as a wincon once threats like Mega Metagross and Heatran were removed: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221495659

Slowking tanks a Shadow Ball from Gengar and takes it out with Psyshock easily, allowing for Scarf Terrakion to clean with CC: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221630394

MegaZam wrecks as usual lol: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221508658

Also, I've noticed my core is particularly weak to SubDD Gyarados (Mega and Non), especially if Gyara comes in on Chomp and gets an Intimidate off. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

Last edited:

bludz

I don't think being weak to Gyarados is something you have to necessarily change. I'd just suggest that you mention at the bottom of the post that Gyarados is a big threat to the core so if you are going to use it on a team then account for that in the rest of the build. You could also make a note that Tbolt on Clefable is an option if Gyarados really scares you.

This is a pretty fun offensive core with MegaGross featuring Dragalge.

Dragalge is a great wallbreaker because of its new dream world ability, adaptability, which makes it a very hard mon to switch into, especially if firing off a draco with specs or a draco plate ;o

Dragalge is a very slow mon, however, and that leaves it susceptible to mons like lati@s, mega diancie, or mega gardevoir. Thats where megagross comes into play, its a fantastic check to all of those mons, and can even run pursuit to trap them. Pursuit megagross is able to check the latis in particular, making it one less threat for dragalge. Metagross also appreciates dragalges ability to punch holes through the likes of slowbro and sableye.

This core is weak to Excadrill, so a bulky grass type like Celebi can help, as it can also check slowbro easier. Bulky water types like Rotom-W, Suicune and Slowbro also help, as they can wall driller with ease. The core can also be weakened easily by mega scizor, so Keldeo for offense can help, while Zapdos can use heat wave to kill scizor, along with having defog. Skarmory in particular can check driller and scizor(if running counter), along with getting defog.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Dragalge @ Choice Specs / Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast / Scald / Toxic Spikes

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback! I do mention Earthquake as an option for Garchomp, but I've found a lot more utility with Fire Blast. Hitting Heatran is not much of concern most of the time because Slowking handles it so well. Really the worst thing Tran can do to King is status it/set up rocks and then switch out, but that means Tran will be taking rocks damage and something else has to risk a scald burn or a well predicted coverage move. Even if Slowking dies, the sweepers I use with the core can take out Heatran no problem, especially considering Tran can be worn down so easily with the core.

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 238-282 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 372-440 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Endure on Chomp seems like a nice option to get extra damage off on an unsuspecting physical attacker that tries to finish him off, and it's +3 priority is a huge plus too. Actually, I imagine that Endure would make Chomp an even bigger pain to physical attackers, especially if it starts forcing 50/50s with a second endure.
Toxic is fun though because it can completely screw over Rotom-W due to its predictability. Opponents love to lead Rotom-W when they see an opposing Garchomp on team preview, and with some prediction-based switches, you can take a good chunk of its HP away while losing very little on your end.

And just so this post isn't all a reply to your post, I have some more replays.

I was able to use CM Clef as a wincon once threats like Mega Metagross and Heatran were removed: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221495659

Slowking tanks a Shadow Ball from Gengar and takes it out with Psyshock easily, allowing for Scarf Terrakion to clean with CC: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221630394

MegaZam wrecks as usual lol: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-221508658

Also, I've noticed my core is particularly weak to SubDD Gyarados (Mega and Non), especially if Gyara comes in on Chomp and gets an Intimidate off. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?
Yeah id slash endure. Also Dont worry about all these replays lol. Im pretty sure boltsandbombers only needs at least one. Also sorry didnt notice the eq slash.

edit:fixed all suggestions for my volt-turn core

This is a pretty fun offensive core with MegaGross featuring Dragalge.

Dragalge is a great wallbreaker because of its new dream world ability, adaptability, which makes it a very hard mon to switch into, especially if firing off a draco with specs or a draco plate ;o

Dragalge is a very slow mon, however, and that leaves it susceptible to mons like lati@s, mega diancie, or mega gardevoir. Thats where megagross comes into play, its a fantastic check to all of those mons, and can even run pursuit to trap them. Pursuit megagross is able to check the latis in particular, making it one less threat for dragalge. Metagross also appreciates dragalges ability to punch holes through the likes of slowbro and sableye.

This core is weak to Excadrill, so a bulky grass type like Celebi can help, as it can also check slowbro easier. Bulky water types like Rotom-W, Suicune and Slowbro also help, as they can wall driller with ease. The core can also be weakened easily by mega scizor, so Keldeo for offense can help, while Zapdos can use heat wave to kill scizor, along with having defog. Skarmory in particular can check driller and scizor(if running counter), along with getting defog.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Dragalge @ Choice Specs / Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast / Scald / Toxic Spikes
I really like the idea of this core, and I think Assault Vest Metagross could check/counter many of the same threats as Mega Metagross without occupying the Mega slot. Given the differences in their stat distribution, Ass Vest Gross might push a team toward a Balance build as opposed to MegaGross, who suggests a more Offensive build. Not saying one is better than the other, just saying that depending on your preference, you can get the same offensive synergy without taking up the Mega slot.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 82-97 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 104-123 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 168-198 (52.9 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 212-250 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 100-118 (31.5 - 37.2%) -- 86.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 126-149 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 125-148 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 159-187 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
I really like the idea of this core, and I think Assault Vest Metagross could check/counter many of the same threats as Mega Metagross without occupying the Mega slot. Given the differences in their stat distribution, Ass Vest Gross might push a team toward a Balance build as opposed to MegaGross, who suggests a more offensive Offensive build. Not saying one is better than the other, just saying that depending on your preference, you can get the same offensive synergy without taking up the Mega slot.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 82-97 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 104-123 (34.5 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 168-198 (52.9 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 212-250 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 100-118 (31.5 - 37.2%) -- 86.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 126-149 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 125-148 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 159-187 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dont use Av metagross man. Seriously dont. Mega metagross is better by such a large portion and im pretty sure only low ladders really use av these days. Those calcs are pretty useless as Mega metagross is still stronger, faster and more viable. Hell its not even that big a deal he uses a mega slot becuase hes just that good. Besides Av metagross is probably not the same level of quality the op wants from a core. There is 0 reason to use it honestly over mega metagross as 9/10 times mega metagross will do better then av gross will ever do. (also that set is walled by mega slowbro/slowbro/hippowdown which mega meta is not.(Grass knot) The cores fine as is. Also gross already fits on balence builds.

Also Question for boltsandbombers Should we hold off on the giratina-o cores? Im not sure whats the situation with that.

Last edited:
Dont use Av metagross man. Seriously dont. Mega metagross is better by such a large portion and im pretty sure only low ladders really use av these days. Those calcs are pretty useless as Mega metagross is still stronger, faster and more viable. Hell its not even that big a deal he uses a mega slot becuase hes just that good. Besides Av metagross is probably not the same level of quality the op wants from a core. There is 0 reason to use it honestly over mega metagross as 9/10 times mega metagross will do better then av gross will ever do. (also that set is walled by mega slowbro/slowbro/hippowdown which mega meta is not.(Grass knot) The cores fine as is. Also gross already fits on balence builds.

Also Question for boltsandbombers Should we hold off on the giratina-o cores? Im not sure whats the situation with that.
AV Metagross is the only reason vanilla Metagross is D rank on the viability ranking thread, so it does have some uses. It's much better at taking on fairies such as Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria, thanks to assault vest making it bulkier than Mega Metagross on the special side. It's also better at pursuit trapping because it can comfortably take a draco from LO latios whereas stuff like bisharp and tyranitar lose a chunk of their health switching in.

The core is definitely better with mega metagross because of the fact that mega metagross is just overall better than normal metagross, but AV metagross still has its uses. ben gay also used AV metagross, so "im pretty sure only low ladders really use av these days" isn't true, but then again ben gay has used pikachu.

AV Metagross is the only reason vanilla Metagross is D rank on the viability ranking thread, so it does have some uses. It's much better at taking on fairies such as Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria, thanks to assault vest making it bulkier than Mega Metagross on the special side. It's also better at pursuit trapping because it can comfortably take a draco from LO latios whereas stuff like bisharp and tyranitar lose a chunk of their health switching in.

The core is definitely better with mega metagross because of the fact that mega metagross is just overall better than normal metagross, but AV metagross still has its uses. ben gay also used AV metagross, so "im pretty sure only low ladders really use av these days" isn't true, but then again ben gay has used pikachu.
I did speak a bit out of line as it was a pretty bias opinion on how av meta should not be used Sorry.

Balanced Core: Tornadus-T + Heatran + Clefable

Tornadus-T + Heatran + Clefable is a pretty effective core that covers a large portion of the metagame. I started off with Heatran + Clefable, a pretty well known core. However, it has problems with stuff like Landorus-I and Gengar. That's where AV Tornadus-T comes into play. It's one of the best answers to non Rock Slide Landorus-I, and handles Gengar pretty well. Tornadus-T can also handle Heatran with Superpower which can also cause trouble for Heatran and Clefable. Magic Guard Clefable makes for a nice set up sweeper and win condition, but Unaware Clefable is another option to better handle stuff like SD Garchomp and Mega Lopunny.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

or

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
EVs on Tornadus-T allow it to survive LO Thunderbolt from Thundurus, OHKO Keldeo with Hurricane, and max speed to outspeed Adamant Mega Lopunny which is otherwise quite threatening.

Last edited:
Defensive Core: Tornadus-T + Heatran + Clefable

Tornadus-T + Heatran + Clefable is a pretty effective core that covers a large portion of the metagame. I started off with Heatran + Clefable, a pretty well known core. However, it has problems with stuff like Landorus-I and Gengar. That's where AV Tornadus-T comes into play. It's one of the best answers to non Rock Slide Landorus-I, and handles Gengar pretty well. Tornadus-T can also handle Heatran with Superpower which can also cause trouble for Heatran and Clefable. Magic Guard Clefable makes for a nice set up sweeper and win condition, but Unaware Clefable is another option to better handle stuff like SD Garchomp and Mega Lopunny.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

or

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
EVs on Tornadus-T allow it to survive LO Thunderbolt from Thundurus, OHKO Keldeo with Hurricane, and max speed to outspeed Adamant Mega Lopunny which is otherwise quite threatening.
I think you should take Superpower off Tornadus-T's slashes if you're going Timid. Superpower is weaker than FB vs even SpD Heatran, and only gets weaker

0- Atk Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 148-176 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
160 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 158-186 (41 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't really want to drop my defense by running Hasty, and I was really only running superpower to weaken Heatran so that Clef could have a better time setting up. Fair enough though, I'll remove superpower.

Very splashable balanced core right here. Usually I like building three mon defensive backbones, but honestly there are so many different parts that can fit around these two. Posting this to draw more attention to Altaria's more defensive sets, which are underrepresented compared to the offensive DD and offensive special attacker sets. Those sets are great, but they really don't show off the full potential of Altaria's fantastic defensive typing. This is just a standard support set that can be tweaked a bunch of different ways to handle different threats. But anyways, with defensive investment similar to the set below, Altaria can handle a whole bunch of common metagame threats, such as Keldeo, Latios, Char-Y, Mega Gyarados, Landorus-T, Mega Lopunny, Thundurus-I, Mega Manectric, Mega Sceptile, I could go on for a while. Where balanced teams have to deal with so many threats nowadays, defensive Altaria is such a boon to the playstyle. It also provides Heal Bell support to the team, which is often either neglected or crammed in awkwardly. Scizor is a very specific supporting piece to add onto this, mostly because CB Bullet Punch allows it to threaten a whole host of common Fairies, from Mega Gard to RP Diancie to DD Mega Altaria. It is also a functional Mega Beedrill check, who is an often overlooked thorn in Altaria's side.

Expanding out from here is relatively simple and is more just picking off leftover threats / adding insurance. A solid HP Fire Mega Venu check is a must, Heatran works well as a next step. Fast Heatran also works to answer Mega Scizor. Chesnaught is another good team option as it checks Bisharp and Excadrill, the other troublesome Steels that can annoy Altaria. SDef Gliscor can check Gengar, who can otherwise threaten this core, especially in the case of WoW sets.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
- Return / Hyper Voice
- Earthquake / Fire Blast
- Heal Bell
- Roost

^ Impish with Return / Earthquake, Bold with Hyper Voice / Fire Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Superpower

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Offensive Core: BD Chesnaught + Talonflame

So Talonflame gets walled hard by threats such as Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Heatran, etc. However BD Chesnaught can set up on almost all of these(it gets off a good hit against Heatran that doesn't outspeed). By pivoting out with U-turn, Talonflame can give Chesnaught easy setup opportunities on the aforementioned Talonflame counters, not to mention it also breaks through some of Chesnaught's counters such as Celebi, Venusaur, and Amoonguss. The two have decent type synergy as well I guess, Chesnaught can take Water, Rock, and Electric type moves while Talonflame resists Fairy. Entry hazard removers are highly recommended since Talon hates SR and usually the lack of leftovers can give away that Chesnaught is BD, so Starmie is recommended as it also can beat faster variants of Heatran that outpace Chesnaught. Chesnaught spread is customized so Tank Chomp Dragon Tail can't break the sub. Set listed is CB but SD is possible too, I just personally dislike SD and U-turn together.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof / Overgrow
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide / Seed Bomb

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core: BD Chesnaught + Talonflame

So Talonflame gets walled hard by threats such as Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Heatran, etc. However BD Chesnaught can set up on almost all of these(it gets off a good hit against Heatran that doesn't outspeed). By pivoting out with U-turn, Talonflame can give Chesnaught easy setup opportunities on the aforementioned Talonflame counters, not to mention it also breaks through some of Chesnaught's counters such as Celebi, Venusaur, and Amoonguss. The two have decent type synergy as well I guess, Chesnaught can take Water, Rock, and Electric type moves while Talonflame resists Fairy. Entry hazard removers are highly recommended since Talon hates SR and usually the lack of leftovers can give away that Chesnaught is BD, so Starmie is recommended as it also can beat faster variants of Heatran that outpace Chesnaught. Chesnaught spread is customized so Tank Chomp Dragon Tail can't break the sub.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof / Overgrow
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide / Seed Bomb

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
I dont really like that talon set, banded or SD sounds a lot better to work with BD Chesnaught. You could mention both since U-turn allows talon to pivot out of Rotom-w into chesnaught for a free sub and SD talon appreciates Chesnaught setting up on its typical checks and counters.
Also Rock Slide is cool on BD ches but I wouldnt have it slashed first, Seed Bomb is much more beneficial in general.

+

Cham+Nasty Plot Luke is a really scary dual Fighting core due to having the power to break a ton of common balance and Stall cores by themselves, which are really prevalent in this meta. Fat mons like SlowBro / Sableye / Mew / Cresselia / Defensive Landorus wall Medicham easily, but thats where Luke comes in. Lucario lures all the aforementioned mons via a Special set (Obviously these are all common switch ins to Luke, which usually runs SD) While Medicham can break anything Lucario has trouble beating even boosted such as Heatran / Chansey and Quagsire (Main reason why Sphere is slashed, but I find Wave to be a great tool for picking off threats and usually being able to sweep uninterrupted late game) However, this core is generally weak to fast & strong attackers (Ie; Metagross & Bird Spam / Fairies), so I'd recommend running a two-three mon defensive core that can take these on, such as Rotom+Hippowdon+X Steel. SD 3 Attacks Gallade works amazingly here as well. Bop dem Latis [:

Sets
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave / Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot

Replays showcasing the pressure this core puts on Defensive teams

I don't really want to drop my defense by running Hasty, and I was really only running superpower to weaken Heatran so that Clef could have a better time setting up. Fair enough though, I'll remove superpower.
That is what I assumed the purpose was. I just wanted to point out Focus Blast could wear Heatran down since it not only hit slightly harder, but didn't drop in power or reduce your defenses while doing so.

Focus Blast can wear Heatran down a bit faster, but its accuracy is really shaky. The drops in both power and defense don't really matter that much because heatran rarely carries stone edge anymore and most of the time I'll go superpower 1-2 times and then just u-turn out.

Not sure if this has been brought up before:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Hyper Voice

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Sylveon walls a ton of things and can set up for ChariYard with CM, or alternatively Magnezone if it needs help against Steel/Poison. Sylveon's and Magnezone's defenses compliment each other, and both help clear the way for ChariYard to sweep. Since ChariYard isn't fond of Stealth Rock, I paired this with a Healing Wish Defog Latias and SR-setting scarfed Lando-T to help Magnezone. DD Dragonite as a revenge killer - other options are welcomed, of course, but I'm very new so I can really only contribute so much. Hope this is somewhat viable, though, would love for someone with more knowledge to give it a shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)