Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every 3-4 years a new generation will start and new Pokemon will be added to the game. In like 10 years we will have around 1200 Pokemon, it will be sheer impossible to distribute them among the 5 current tiers (Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU). Eventually, we will HAVE to add some new tiers in-between. And I think, the time has come to add a new tier between OU and UU. That's what I'm basically saying.
The usage system already accommodates this. As the number of mons grow so does the number of tiers. That's why RBY and GSC only have 2 tiers. If the player base supports it, then we'll add official usage tiers as the number of mons grows. In addition, since Game Freak power creeps, mons that are OU now can and likely will be pushed down to lower tiers over time. Worst comes to worst, we'll just have a huge number of mons in NU; even in NU a meta establishes such that not every NU mon gets used.

That's the thing I personally am not sure about either. But what would we lose from testing this "new tier"? We could start with randomly "banning" some Pokis from OUdown and see how it develops. Sep by step we could change a few things (like banning or unbanning certain pokes) Maybe after 1-2 months those 2 tiers (OUup & OUdown) will establish themselves? I mean, we won't lose anything from testing it and personally I don't think it is a bad idea to solve this "OU is far from balanced"-problem.
It takes us 1-2 months to determine if 1 mon is broken in OU. Think about how long it'll take to do it for 12-15 mons. That is at least another year on top of OU suspects, perhaps 2, perhaps more if you test mons that were banned, and you yourself can't determine a good cut-off percentage for OUdown because the "broken mons" are scattered throughout the usage stats. Further, you can't just ban 10 mons and call it a day; need to ban about 25 mons to create a tier between OU and UU. As I said before, ban too few and it's just OU with salty bans, and ban too many and it's just UU with even more work required to balance the tier. Also, how are you going to find 25-30 broken mons to ban? I'm more than willing to bet you're going to start banning stuff that isn't broken to meet that quota. Come testing time, when something in OUdown is deemed broken, are you going to ban things that would have been checked with mons you banned or ban the mon in question? If a random check you brought in starts upsetting the tier, are you going to reban it or further bring in banned mons?

Your proposal has a huge number of logistical problems, and what's your net result? A tier that's about 25 mons smaller than OU. A player base made entirely from salty OU players is not nearly large enough to merit that much work. If you think that OU has too many problems, your best bet is to just participate in suspect tests, get reqs, and cast votes.

What is the optimal speed for life orb Hydreigon? I've heard natural 252 ev is good but I am bit scared that Kyurem-B and Giratina might outspeed or do they never run max speed?

What is the optimal speed for life orb Hydreigon? I've heard natural 252 ev is good but I am bit scared that Kyurem-B and Giratina might outspeed or do they never run max speed?
Kyurem-B never runs a positive nature iirc. I doubt you'll see many +Speed Giratina either, but people are trying stuff out right now so I wouldn't count it out entirely.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mild nature is used on hydreigon whenever you are running superpower; otherwise, if you are using 4 special attacks, you just run modest. No need to lower defense for no reason.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Is the core chensaught mega slowbro viable in ou?Which team can be used with those 2 pokemons
Yes mostly on defensive oriented builds and on balance as part of a defensive core with some stall-breakers and checks to the problem that core has.

Yes mostly on defensive oriented builds and on balance as part of a defensive core with some stall-breakers and checks to the problem that core has.
Something like slowbro chensaught talonflame mandibuzz clefable and excadrill?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Something like slowbro chensaught talonflame mandibuzz clefable and excadrill?
Thundurus and Raikou weak to an extent but something that allows you some breathing room against offense, balance, and stall mostly.

Assuming that you end with a Life Orb number (mobile so I can't check), you lose next to nothing by dropping to 29 IVs.
With 29 HP IV, Starmie gets 259 HP (LO number). I was just curious because I saw a couple of analyses like the ones of Latios and Kyurem-B using a decreased HP IV (also 29 IV in both cases), but not on Starmie's and I was wondering if there was some logical reasoning behind this.

One of my homies from tha hood is new to tha game and is specifically looking for a team. I have no idea where to refer him too, any ideas where you can find dope teams around this hood?

AM

LCPL Champion
One of my homies from tha hood is new to tha game and is specifically looking for a team. I have no idea where to refer him too, any ideas where you can find dope teams around this hood?
Sup dude our hood goes to this gangsta part of town right here to find dope squads. We also got a good cores link up in here as well but that may be a bit dangerous so let him know. Peace.

Whitest thing I've read all day. Anyway, here's a question I've been meaning to ask. What, exactly, makes Keldeo so good? In paper and in practice, it seems good but not overwhelming to me. 130 SpA is good but not tier-breaking, its 108 speed falls short of the new cool guys' club of 110 and its typing, while great offensively, leaves it with a fair few common weaknesses. So what is it that got it to S-rank?

Keldeo has a great offensive typing that allows it to cover much of the meta in just 2 moves. Secret Sword hits on the physical side, so many special walls have trouble with it due to this. Keldeo hits frighteningly hard with Choice Specs, can break slower, bulky teams with SubCM, and while not its best set, can harass offense with Scarf. While it's speed isn't as good as it was, it is still good enough and Keldeo's offensive power is great.

Yep, scald new mechanics would go against the game, and totally broke the "adherence" aspect of the Smogon tier.
Though it's a pity

Thundurus and Raikou weak to an extent but something that allows you some breathing room against offense, balance, and stall mostly.
The problem is that the only pokemon that I can switch is mandibuzz, the problem is that if I remove him I'll have no strenghts against psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)