Metagame ORAS NU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I find this set works well on offensive teams who struggle with mega Audino
The thing is that nearly any CM Psychic-type already handles Mega Audino (Musharna, Xatu, even Uxie), and you don't have to saddle along the shitton of weaknesses and bad initial offensive presence along with it. Heal Block blocking Giga Drain is nice and all, except most Giga Drain users either outspeed or have other ways of dealing with Claydol, such as status. This, by extension, means you're really better off using a CM Psychic-type with lack of a Grass weakness to begin with. Mush, Xatu, and Uxie all have their own methods of warding off status (Heal Bell, Magic Bounce, Substitute) and keeping healthy (Moonlight, Roost, Giga Drain).

Last edited:
are you sure heal block ignores magic bounce? i know for sure that magic coat reflected it last gen, and im not sure why that would change

I never said heal block goes through magic bounce. It doesn't unfortunately. Claydol sets up on Xatu tho.

upload_2015-3-17_23-10-35.png

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

I've been using lead Rampardos a lot lately on offensive teams to beat Lead Crustles and teams that rely on Xatu for hazard support and this is the set that i've been using. Swords dance is really cool on lead Rampardos because it can put an enormous amount of pressure on the opponent from turn 1, especially against more defensive teams. Adamant is used because you outspeed Jolly Crustle as Adamant Rampardos anyways and the extra attack can allow you to OHKO Regirock at +2 with Superpower.

Swellow @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Brave Bird
- U-turn / Roost

MixLlow is like my new favorite thing, because honestly in the current metagame Toxic Orb Swellow is simply too easily walled, and Specs Swellow's choice lock will never do. The great thing about this variant of Swellow is that it can abuse its decently powered Brave Bird to bait out amongst one of the most common pokemon in the metagame AV Yama for an easy OHKO after a little bit of prior damage, alongside many other traditional specially bulky pokemon Swellow wouldn't be able to get past. Furthermore, with a Life Orb it still retains a lot of the power Specs Swellow had, but also with the flexibility of running coverage such as Heat Wave or HP Grass to easily pummel through opponents, making it a lot more adaptable to the current metagame and with its blazing speed cutting off a lot of the tier's top threats.

4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 369-437 (86 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Flareon: 220-261 (66 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 363-426 (105.8 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Heat Wave vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 174-205 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 196-231 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 239-286 (57.7 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Hidden Power Grass vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 229-270 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ninetales @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Energy Ball / Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Water]

Thanks to Air Balloon this gives the Ninetales an immunity to Ground-type moves. That being said, it makes it a nice switch in for Mega Camerupt even possibly obtaining a Flash Fire boosts on the switch in. Mega Camerupt is unable to damage you essentially making it set up fodder unless it carries Hidden Power or the rare Rock Slide to pop the balloon (Fails to OHKO Ninetales anyway).

Nasty Plot boosts Ninetales Special Attack to better levels so it can achieve the OHKO's and 2HKO's it needs. Fire Blast is your main stab backed with high base power however you can opt for Flamethrower if you dislike the accuracy and PP. The choice between Energy Ball and Psyshock is down to what your team needs more. Psyshock hits Hariyama for heavy damage after a nasty plot boost while Energy Ball deals with Seismitoad, Quagsire and other water types. Hidden Power Hidden Power Water can OHKO standard Mega Camerupt after a boost and also has the benefit of hitting other fire types like Pyroar, Typhlosion and not to mention Archeops.

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Camerupt: 364-432 (105.8 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Water vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Camerupt Camerupt: 268-316 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pyroar: 268-316 (85.6 - 100.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Typhlosion: 218-258 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 272-320 (93.4 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-221584357

Electivire @ Life Orb | Motor Drive
216 Atk / 56 SpA / 236 Spe | Lonely Nature
Wild Charge / Earthquake / Ice Punch / Hidden Power Grass

Electivire sounds so good on paper but usually sucks ass in practice. I built around this set a while back because I felt that the metagame wasn't sufficiently prepared for it, and it has lived up to expectations pretty well. Life Orb is basically necessary because running Choice Band doesn't really allow you to utilize Electivire's good coverage, and it gives it a harder time against bulky Ground-types. Life Orb recoil sucks on top of Wild Charge recoil, but there's no better alternative that gives you the same wallbreaking capabilities this set offers.

No Ground-type likes to switch into Electivire. Max HP Mega Camerupt is OHKO'd 82% of the time after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Grass hits Quagsire for 81% minimum, does 67-80% to defensive Seismitoad (Earthquake + Hidden Power Grass almost always kills), and always 2HKOes SpDef Rhydon after Stealth Rock, guaranteed by the 56 SpA EVs. Ice Punch takes out the rare Torterra and obviously has killer coverage alongside Wild Charge. Earthquake also covers Lanturn, though few will try to switch in. 236 Speed with a neutral nature outspeeds Timid Mesprit. You can't outspeed Jolly Sawk or Kangaskhan without running a +Speed nature, and 236 neutral outspeeds Adamant variants of both.

Defensive Mega Audino pretty much shits on this set, so be sure to carry something specifically to kill it. You do 3HKO Mega Audino with Wild Charge, but in the process, you'll also basically die and probably won't end up doing much anyways because of Wish/Protect or Rest. Sheer Force Mawile is a pretty great partner because you can lure in bulky Ground-types with Electivire, while Mawile destroys Mega Audino.

Anyways, after about a week of having Electivire in the metagame, I thought it was pretty shit, but now I think it's pretty underrated, at least among good players.

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charm
- Quiver Dance
- Petal Dance
- Synthesis

Anyways you get the idea, Charm lets you setup against physical attackers (which you see now and then on the ladder). Quiver Dance until your heart's content, heal when necessary and eventually sweep with Petal Dance. Which is chosen over Giga Drain because you do pitiful damage otherwise with your lack of offensive investment and all, also you need some solid damage output so stuff like SubCM Uxie can't come in and setup alongside you. Lack of coverage means you need to take out stuff like Magmortar, Vileplume, Vivillon etc. beforehand though. But you would want to do that anyways with any Lilligant set so it's not that huge of a problem. The spread is simple, extra bulk to let you tank hits with ease and enough speed for the likes of Klinklang, Swellow when you're at +1, Magmortar and some other stuff.

Last edited:
Predator
Predator (Luxray) @ Leftovers/life Orb
Ability: Any
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Electric Terrain
- Wild Charge
- Substitute
- Facade/Ice Fang

Predator (Luxray) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 HP
Impish/Whatever Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Facade/Ice Fang

This thing is viable!
Electric terrain prevents pokemon from sleeping (protects you from sleep powder and prevents sleep talk combos on the your opponent. Not only that it boosts Wild Charge's Power by 50%. Meaning it hits harder than E-vire. This shit kills everything in sight. Ice Fang gives it a semi voltbeam coverage so yeah. Sub on predicted switches and it allows it to make up for his subpar speed kinda.

The second set functions as a bulky pivot as well lol

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Predator
Predator (Luxray) @ Leftovers/life Orb
Ability: Any
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Electric Terrain
- Wild Charge
- Substitute
- Facade/Ice Fang

Predator (Luxray) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 HP
Impish/Whatever Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Facade/Ice Fang
2 Wild Charges does more than electric terrain + wild charge though

2 Wild Charges does more than electric terrain + wild charge though
True but less recoil, and it powers up your other electic type moves (for example hp electric on typhlosion) plus it prevents things from resting off damage.
Either way, Lux will live longer.
Plus 5 Electric Terrain Boosted Wild Charges> 5 Normal Wild Charges

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
True but less recoil, and it powers up your other electic type moves (for example hp electric on typhlosion) plus it prevents things from resting off damage.
Either way, Lux will live longer.
Plus 5 Electric Terrain Boosted Wild Charges> 5 Normal Wild Charges
If you're doing more damage, you take more recoil because recoil is % of damage done anyways. The point of Wild Charge is to do more damage at cost of recoil. Also, because Luxray is pretty slow you won't get to Wild Charge 5 times in a row. If you did, it doesn't matter because you won Electric Terrain or not, or you're completely walled anyways and aren't making any progress. (For instance, vs. Tangela)

Non-STAB facade without status orb isn't very good.

178.gif

Xatu @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave / Signal Beam
- Roost / U-turn

Offensive Xatu is pretty good. While it isn't exactly amazing, the surprise value it has is great. It still reflects hazards like defensive Xatu, but once it is in it can actually dish out pretty solid damage. Leftovers are nice for some extra recovery and bluffing the defensive set, though Life Orb is good too for increasing damage output. Psyshock is the main STAB and can slam Hariyamas that think they will get cute and stay in to use Knock Off. Grass Knot bops Seismitoad and Rhydon, two of the most common rock-setters in the tier. Heat Wave hurts steel types and KOes Sneasels and Pawniards that try to pursuit trap you. Signal Beam can be used to cripple or KO dark type threats, namely Malamar. Roost keeps you healthy throughout the match and can help you bluff defensive longer if you haven't revealed Heat Wave/Signal Beam or Grass Knot yet. U-turn is nice for maintaining momentum, but I have found that Roost is generally more useful, especially if you're using Life Orb. The EVs maximize offensive presence while letting Xatu outspeed max invested Rotom, though 216 EVs and Timid will do to outspeed base 90s. You can also go 252 speed and Timid to tie with base 95s like Primeape if you really want to. The rest of the EVs go to HP for a little more bulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
(Mismagius) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire
So this is the stallbreaker Misamagius. I usually see a coverage move or Pain Split as the last option, but here I've got mystical fire. Its weak, but has a 100% chance to lower the opponents SpA by 1. It saves you from many OhKos/2HKO's, as you can force something out and Mystical Fire on a predicted switch, such as MCamerupt or even Magmortar. i had a lot of fun using it, (And i got a few forfeits from it :P) The EV's are for bulk, and max speed to make sure you can get the bop on Special/Physical/support mons.

Skill Swap Gourgeist

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Skill Swap
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bullet Seed

Gourgeist is my favorite mon in ORAS NU, he can run a lot of move for lure. With Skill Swap, he can burn Gurdurr on a switch-in without problem! Becaause with Skill Swap, he gets Guts! With this move, he can take a lot of cool ability ! Like Thick Fat (Hariyama/Miltank), Levitate (Cryogonal/Weezing/Rotom) even Flash Fire! With a switch-in of a Typhlosion, we can take Flash fire!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Sawk @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sturdy / Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt / Earthquake
- Taunt

I've been having a lot of success with Taunt Sawk lately. It manages to trip up almost every single defensive switch-in to Sawk while leaving them completely open to a number of annoying / dangerous Pokemon that can be good teammates for Sawk. Its most notable trait is denying recovery, which can prevent the likes of Vileplume, Musharna, Gourgeist, Quagsire, and Pelipper from getting off scotfree after taking Sawk's attack and forcing it out. It also thwarts status moves from Weezing and Gourgeist, while also stopping Garbodor from taking advantage of Sawk with entry hazards. While this can put Sawk at some risk, preventing these Pokemon from doing what they want can put yourself in a much more favorable position.

The beauty of Taunt Sawk is that there are a large number of Pokemon that can take advantage of the opponent that Sawk Taunts. The offensive Steel-types, aka Mawile and Klinklang, are eager to set up in front of the now helpless Vileplume, Musharna, and Gourgeist (Mawile resists Foul Play at least), while also covering for Sawk if they do decide to attack instead of heal. Sneasel very much appreciates having the physically bulky Pokemon like Pelipper and Weezing worn down before its sweep, and Taunt Sawk does an excellent job of keeping them that way; Sneasel can also come in on Musharna's STABs (or even Gourgeist's Foul Play if it carries Eviolite) and Pursuit trap, pretty much rendering the target unable to stand up to Sawk later.

Expert Belt is my item of choice. While Black Belt provides a stronger consistent boost to its super powerful STAB move, Expert Belt instead boosts Sawk's coverage moves against their intended targets. Most of Sawk's switch-ins still aren't bothered very much by Black Belt boosted Close Combat anyway, and few neutral targets appreciate a Close Combat in the first place. On the other hand, Expert Belt gives Taunt Sawk even better corebreaking ability than it already has. Calcs:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 144-170 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 170-202 (45.4 - 54%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 115-137 (30.7 - 36.6%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Musharna: 108-128 (24.9 - 29.5%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 146-173 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 202-238 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 180-214 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Many of these KOes would not be attained without the help of Expert Belt: you won't 3HKO Musharna with 65 BP Knock Off, nor can u 3HKO Gourgeist with boosted Knock Off + 2 unboosted Knock Offs (subjecting Sawk to more unecessary damage). Although against the Poison-types, Expert Belt becomes slightly less necessary if one opts for Mold Breaker Earthquake (Black Belt would be the item of choice again).

Taunt Sawk can afford to be more reckless if weakening said threats helps set up your wincons, which is what this Sawk is primarily meant to do anyway; you can even have Sawk die in a blaze of glory if it means damaging said threats beyond repair. You can tailor this Sawk's moveset to your needs as well; this Sawk variant only mildly annoys Pelipper for example, but if weakening it is crucial to your gameplan (ex: SD Samurott), you can slap Thunder Punch on Sawk to sort yourself out.

since this thread is kind of dead and i feel like this is one of the cooler threads in this sub forum, i'm gonna bump it up

Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond

Simisear @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Flame Charge
- Endeavor
- Taunt
- Grass Knot

i'm lumping these two guys together because it's basically the same anti-lead strategy of taunt+endeavor. the idea is you would use this on a team that's hyper offense in nature with something like flying spam which really likes stealth rock removed (or in this case, not set up at all), and of course it's even better when the stealth rock setter itself is removed. When I was using simisear I ran archeops which obviously baits out a seismitoad, quagsire, even carrocosta, etc. turn 1. since archeops is so deadly in NU right now, people are sure to have something bulky to send in turn 1. Simisear is always going to be faster against hazard setters, unless your opponent has archeops so pack something for archeops, although the beauty of simisear is flame charge. so even if your opponent happens to be faster turn 1, no matter what, you can get your boost of speed and endeavor turn 2 if he attacked you. the point is you don't have to take any risks. but if you are against archeops then you will have to either half a scarf u-turn or priority user, and with the latter case you're losing momentum since it's 5-5 and now your opponent gets to send something in. so i recommend using a volt turn combo. mismagius uses icy wind to become faster than archeops and then again to kill it before your opponent even knows what happened. also most people don't expect destiny bond for some reason, and even if they due, lots of teams don't even pack a status move so something has to die. once again this strategy is useful if you don't mind going 5-5 early game without doing much else other than keeping SR off the field and possibly taking down the SR setter. which will definitely happen often enough, especially with the surprise value. i made a couple solid teams with these guys and i do feel that they were effective most of the time. but when the stategy doesn't work, you really just waste 1 or 2 turns right off the bat which is, in the end, why the taunt+endeavor combo became pretty forgettable to me. but still, the effectiveness it did show + the surprise factor is enough to keep this strategy somewhere in the back of my mind.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
So I pimped my lead sawk that's been working very well with a new move and now it's got even better!

Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Tomb

Standard unchoiced sawk with a lum berry over expert belt because sturdy often causes people to want to status sawk since they aren't ohko'ing him (and because the walls that switch into him have loads of status moves).
What's new though is rock tomb over ice punch which was only hitting colbur xatu and eggy. Rock tomb has been doing really well because it brings good coverage in terms of typing (and has good accuracy unlike other rock type moves) but it has this really nice secondary effect that reduces the amount of prediction sawk requires even more. Here's a couple of examples of situations in which rock tomb has been useful for me:

Opponent has a sneasel in and a non scarfed missy/haunter/rotom, I have sawk in. Going for any standard sawk move could imply sawk will take big damage without dealing much (if any). Now with rock tomb, I'm sure to come out victorious! If he stays in, sneasel takes big damage and ends up slower than me. If he switches, whatever is coming in is instantly slower than me meaning I can use whatever move pleases me to KO the switch-in the next turn.

Opponent wants to take advantage that I have a sawk in to roost off some damage with scyther. Well I'm 1 hit away of having your scyther be slower than me which I will then proceed to ohko!

Opponent leads with sash vivillion. Whatever he does, at the end of the turn, vivillon is at 1hp and slower than me (lum berry curing sleep powder and confusion hax from hurricane)

Opponent leads with sash archeops wanting to endeavor me after he sets his rocks. Well not with rock tomb, he's gonna have to switch it out and keep that endeavor for later while my sturdy is still intact (though rocks are up so yeah got to get rid of that for sturdy).

So yeah, generaly speaking, rock tomb is just a great way of breaking sashes, hitting flyings and bugs super effective and playing safe on possible faster switch-ins since after a speed drop, sawk outspeeds everything but a handfull of scarf mons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)