Media Metalheads Thread III

Metalcore is the same as every genre: it has its ups and downs. Whenever a genre becomes more "fashionable" a lot of mediocre music comes out of it (see 80s hair metal) and core is just going through this phase now. This means that people who want to feel superior about their taste will actively bash it just because the kids are loving it at the moment (I was no different like 4-5 years ago). I totally dig Converge, Coalesce, Poison the Well, Zao, Architects, ABR etc etc. Core pits are also the fucking best.

(It's not metal but who cares it's still great)

Also there's now this apparently

And man does the production suck. It's not even so horrible it's charming like Gallows Gallery was, it just sounds like a demo at times. The sax might as well have been recorded in my bedroom. Other than that the song obviously rules though.

i like a lot of post hardcore stuff.

like anything else, if it sounds good i like it.

as far as deathcore goes, Veil of Maya is one of the better ones.

haven't listened to the new track though, not a high priority for me.

I've been a fan of most metal genres excluding doom, sludge and black metal. I would say as far as core subgenres go I lean towards the style these guys and Architects have. They are freaking amazing in studio and live as well:

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Listening to bolzer just reminded me that they're going to be supporting behemoth in their European tour...one of the italian dates is like 40 mins away from my home but I found out I won't be able to use the car because my parents need it that day -______-

On the metalcore topic...i'm a bit of a "purist". I really think that most of it is just watered down metal that's only made to appeal to a wider public in order to gain more than zero in terms of money. It's good to approach the whole metal genre because it helps getting used to some vocal styles while still being catchy. I used to listen to it too, but after I had the first taste of actual thrash / death / black metal I never felt the need to go back to metalcore lol

The whole metalcore bashing thing is dumb though. After all who cares if some (most) people have different tastes than us? As usual, the less the less you care, the better.

For example I cannot fucking stand Italian pop and rap music, I hate how that's the only shit you're ever going to listen to when you turn on a radio in this god damn country. But the last thing I would ever do is spamming Italian pop vids on yt with comments about how that music sucks balls, like so many "purist metalheads" like to do with metalcore vids and stuff. That kind of thing just makes you look stupid and tends to make people think of the whole "metal community " as a bunch of shitheads.

I'm on mobile and I can't be bothered to read this again in search of errors so bear with me n_n

Ah and Meshuggah always rocks :toast:

I think the problem with "metalcore" as a term is that it brings false expectations. It's not metal nor is it trying to be like metal. Its roots are in hardcore punk, which is ideologically different from metal. Punk is more straightforward, simplistic, more straight up "in-your-face" mentality. The popular metalcore bands of today are doing the same thing, just appealing to a different generation of young people. It's not a bad thing, whenever a kid starts listening to something beyond what is being fed to him (idk if core bands get any radio play in US but I have literally never heard any here) it's this huge gateway to everything out there. It doesn't really matter what this gateway is, it just needs to be there. There needs to be some "alternative but accessible and kinda mainstream" type of music or there wouldn't be much for people to get hooked on.

Also the "watering down of metal" has only been happening recently, 90s and early 00s metalcore is by no means "made to appeal".

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but ideologically aligns more with the punk genre than it is and never will be even remotely close to a duck...

Imo the genre name is self explanatory... Hardcore punk meets the aggressiveness and extreme nature (sonically) of metal. Metalcore. Tadaaaa. No need to over think it and make into some hipster purist bs.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't even know how I missed Constricting Rage of the Merciless from Goatwhore last year, I'm listening to it now and it fucking rocks

Also Goatwhore will be in Milan with Skeletonwitch on 25th, it's time to make my ears bleed :toast:

yeah it does. schadenfraude gives off a very transilvanian hunger-esque vibe and FBS is fucking awesome.

I don't even know how I missed Constricting Rage of the Merciless from Goatwhore last year, I'm listening to it now and it fucking rocks

Also Goatwhore will be in Milan with Skeletonwitch on 25th, it's time to make my ears bleed :toast:
While that does sound awesome, unfortunately Skeletonwitch just fired their vocalist for alcohol abuse. I'm sure whoever they've got replacing him will be fine, but I'll miss him.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)