ORAS UU Pulled Down By Gravity!

ENJOY! I CHOSE AGAINST THE CURRENT'S VERY OWN MUSIC VIDEO "GRAVITY". BELIEVE ME, THEY'RE AWESOME!

Yes. Literally, this team mirrors the quote and the definition of one of the most important scientific terms in Science, gravity. The team that I will be showcasing you today (as of March 19, 2015). This is a new team that I have made. Hopefully, I will be able to concentrate well on teambuilding, because school just finally ended recently. It'll not be like those school days where I get to use my laptop during weekends, which gives me quite a bummer in my teambuilding. Anyway, I also have been focusing recently on learning the Doubles metagame, and I might be able to post any of my Doubles teams soon enough.

Without further ado, I introduce to you:

PULLED DOWN BY GRAVITY!

TEAM OVERVIEW AND STRATEGY ANALYSIS

NOTE: NO TEAMBUILDING PROCESS FOR THE MEANTIME, AS IT IS QUITE BORING FOR CERTAIN READERS. :]

General Description: This is a Hyper Offense team which aims to decimate any kind of team with the use of either Aerodactyl-Mega or Suicune. The main strategy of the team is to be able to break down/soften counters and checks respectively while being able to keep constant pressure to any team archetype in order for a particular member to clean up late game (depending on the team archetype your opponent has).

How To Play The Team...

VS. Offense
: Offense mirror match-ups tend to be quite difficult to face, due to the fact that you are forced to maintain constant pressure to not get outrun by opposing Offense teams. Make sure to keep up away your opponent's rocks as much as possible to avoid pressure, as this is where Aerodactyl can make a few plays without sweeping yet, such as revenge killing. This is also a reason why Aerodactyl is given Earthquake, as if you want to revenge kill particular threats like Chandelure, it's pretty safer to click Earthquake without worrying the 20% miss chance.

Playing versus bulky offense can be quite threatening, as you would need to land most super effective hits on bulky Pokemon. Heracross can put a good amount of work, but it can get worn off over time if not used properly. If you are having quite a hard time picking on some of the bulky Pokemon, Suicune is your emergency button. It can stay in for a minimal amount of terms to wreck crap on any opposing Bulky Offense team.

To win versus offense, try helping Aerodactyl to get a set-up opportunity. However, if you see no reliable counter/check to Suicune in any members of the team, you may try winning with Cune.

VS. Balance and Stall: Thankfully, these 2 playstyles are the more common ground of UU. These playstyles are easier to play around, because certain Stall builds require Toxic Spikes. It then becomes easier for Heracross to break apart several Stall teams with the help of Guts and Choice Band. Crobat is very important material versus many Balance and Stall teams, as you need to consistently get hazards out nearly all the time. Winning with Aerodactyl can be quite difficult, but tearing apart a lot of things with it is really good, as it is able to wreck everything that doesn't outspeed it (only Scarf users outspeed Aerodactyl.)

When playing particular archetypes such as Hazard Stacking Offense, it becomes very important to keep Crobat hanging on your team. A Defog later on will become really useful, despite the removal of your hazards. If the team only has Toxic Spikes, put Hera to your advantage and break walls by spamming Close Combat/Megahorn. Whimsicott can also help bring down Balance and Stall builds due to the presence of Encore, and that will help you a lot.

These teams are not really difficult to take down. For your win condition, I recommend the use of Suicune over Aerodactyl.

THREATS:

Mega Pidgeot- hard to imagine that you have no reliable check to this Pokemon. The best thing you can do to eliminate this is to revenge kill with Mega Aero/sack anything. There are many 50-50's to this guy, and finding the best switch-in can be troublesome.

Doublade- Doublade can be a hard thing to deal with, once Suicune is gone or if you haven't launched in a Knock Off on it. Before Aero can do anything to it, make sure it's weakened through Suicune/Eviolite is removed.

Feraligatr- Sheer Force Gatr is the biggest threat to handle. The only thing that you can do is play around its boosts. If it's the Swords Dance variant, you're kinda fine with that. However, if it is the Dragon Dance variant, be careful. Your only hope would be Roar Suicune or getting a lucky Encore.

THE TEAM IN DETAIL:

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

GENERAL ANALYSIS:
Being one of the best Pokemon right now in UU, Mega Aerodactyl is a guy not to be easily messed up with. Having base 105 Attack and base 130 Speed, and reaching 135 Attack and 150 Speed with a good ability in Tough Claws, it's a monster that is nearly unavoidable. It's a Pokemon that is capable of cleaning up offense based teams late game, once its counters are removed and checks are weakened. Nothing much has to be explained about Aerodactyl, because it's one of the things that everyone knows how to deal with.

MOVESET: Hone Claws is the main set-up move of Aerodactyl. Once it reaches +1, it's nearly difficult to take it down. It also gives a good increase to accuracy, which is essential for Stone Edge to turn from 20% miss chance to absolute 0%. Stone Edge makes Flying types go down as if being pushed by gravity. Aerial Ace is the 2nd STAB move of Aerodactyl, which beats up many Fighting and Grass types that remain. For coverage, I prefer Earthquake. Since I do not really mind getting the Hone Claws boost all the time for sweeping, I do not want to risk any other miss chance if I have Aqua Tail, which will suck if it misses.

EV SPREAD: The EV spread is very ordinary. Max Speed + Jolly Nature makes it outspeed the whole tier bar Scarf users. Max Attack also makes it the beast it is.

OTHER OPTIONS: Aqua Tail > Earthquake

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

GENERAL ANALYSIS:
If there is something that remains very annoying to Suicune and anything that tries to set up bar Lucario (who has ExtremeSpeed, which is much of a bummer), then that is Whimsicott. It's able to put up good amounts of offensive pressure, which is a key for every offensive team. It's not as strong as expected, but the pressure it's able to give to opponents make this one of the best hit-and-run Pokemon. It's basically my check to Suicune and one of my things that can stop set-up sweepers from setting up on me.

MOVESET: U-turn makes Whimsicott the perfect hit-and-run Pokemon that it is designed to be. Giga Drain is the first STAB move, which is a good way to recover health when possible. It deals well versus bulky waters, especially Swampert, which gets a OHKO from just one Giga Drain. It's got a 2nd STAB in Moonblast, which is important for keeping off Dragons from the field. Encore is the final move that Whims has, which is most important in breaking set-up sweepers apart.

EV SPREAD: 252 SpA completely patches up its mediocre Special Attack, while 252 Spe + Timid Nature provides Whims with full speed to outspeed things like Azelf and Mienshao bar Scarf Shao.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Knock Off

GENERAL ANALYSIS:
Heracross is one of UU's most powerful wall-breakers at the moment. It's able to pull down a variety of walls, including bulky waters, without having to worry about statuses such as Burns and Poison, thanks to Guts. In my team, Heracross serves as a punisher that will break through the walls that Aerodactyl will have a hard time cleaning through. Especially the fact that bulky waters normally tend to run Scald (IBCune is rare, since Zygarde is gone), it will take advantage of nearly every status to use for wall-breaking. Nothing much needs to be explained, as Heracross is very common.

MOVESET: Unlike the other Guts user in UU, Machamp, Heracross has double STAB moves in Close Combat, which it will click 90% of the time (unless a Ghost type exists in the opposing team) and Megahorn, an alternate STAB if you're concerned of battling Suicune, but it's not useful all the time because of the 15% miss chance. Facade works very well with Choice Band and Guts, for once this guy is statused, Facade turns to a whopping 140BP + Choice Band. Finally, Knock Off is very basic in many competitive teams, as it wears off items from opponents, which is very helpful in any match-up.

EV SPREAD: This spread was taken from another team in the forums. 144 Speed is enough to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and speed-tie with defensive Rotom-H (they tend to outspeed Adamant Krow too). 252 Attack + Adamant Nature makes this one of the strongest powerhouses in UU. The rest of the EVs are intended to tank bulky waters a bit.

Krookodile (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Earthquake

GENERAL ANALYSIS:
Krookodile's got a very important role in Hyper Offense teams. Being one of the fastest HO leads, it's able to set up rocks and to stop stall teams nearly efficiently. It's also capable of killing the Nidos and Lucario due to outspeeding them, which are otherwise threatening Pokemon to deal with. It also can weaken many physical attackers with Intimidate, which will somehow halt any physical attacker's sweeping process. Nothing else needs to be explained, as this is really common in UU HO.

MOVESET: Stealth Rock is...Stealth Rock. There is no competitive team that cannot live without Stealth Rock, simply because it is the only hazard that is capable of touching every Pokemon and breaking things such as Focus Sash. Knock Off is...Knock Off. It's very important, wearing down items of opposing Pokemon. Taunt decapitates Stall teams, being unable to slowly set up against my team. Finally, Earthquake beats up many Pokemon such as Lucario and the Nidos.

EV SPREAD: 252 Attack is needed to defeat and weaken most Pokemon. 252 Speed + Jolly Nature makes it outspeed the mentioned threats (Luke and Nidos).

Crobat (M)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def/ 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

GENERAL ANALYSIS:
If there is one Pokemon in UU that you could rely on almost all the time when it comes to support, then it would be Crobat. Its high speed stat and access to important support moves (Defog and U-turn). I really prefer the Acrobatics set, because it makes you less scared of losing to Knock Off match-ups, and that Acrobatics puts up work in itemless Bat. This is your reliable counter to Mega Beedrill, since: Knock Off virtually does nothing, and this is just there to counter any of its other moves. Nothing much special, except the fact that I have seen a lot of AcroBat's recently, and that itemless Crobat is proved to be really good in the meta.

MOVESET:
Acrobatics is your way-to-go STAB move that works with itemless Crobat. With no held item, it turns to a staggering 110BP. Be careful though, because any wrong switch-in opportunity will force Crobat to hold an item, and that is pretty disappointing. U-turn provides the team with the momentum it needs, as the team needs to keep up constant amounts of pressure to keep up. Defog is your only way of hazard removal, which is very important in any team. Since you have no means of recovery, Crobat has Roost to keep up during the duration of any match-up.

EV SPREAD: This spread is truly designed to survive a combo of Knock Off + Poison Jab from Mega Beedrill at full HP after SR. 248/40 is the exact spread, but if you're less concerned of the extra Attack EVs, just drop them to Defense. 200 Speed is mandatory to outspeed the uncommon Noivern and such threats.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Scald/Surf
GENERAL ANALYSIS:
Now you might wonder why I'm running a CroCune set with Roar on Suicune. Somehow, this has been very effective on my case, because I have no other switch-in to a plethora of threats like Mega Aerodactyl and Darmanitan. If there is one way to go to, that would be this Pokemon. It gives me a back-up Win Condition and is very useful versus Balance and Stall, which Mega Aerodactyl may have a hard time with. The downside of this set would be the fact that Suicune can become set-up fodder with the lack of Sleep Talk. Somehow, Roar over Sleep Talk is more convincing than I could imagine, because it forces out any Pokemon that I do not want to have a match-up yet. Anyway, this is just pretty much what you see on CroCune.

MOVESET:
Roar is pretty much like the surprise factor, forcing out match-ups that Suicune does not want to face at all/face yet. Rest brings back important recovery, especially when Suicune is still a need in a particular match-up. Calm Mind sets up on a lot of unprepared threats like a boss, and finally, Scald is the main spamming move, with the 30% burn chance. However, if you are playing the team in the experimental UU (No Scald) tier, use Surf instead.

REPLAY LOG

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-218649981: This is one of the interesting 6-0 replays that I have. Like I mentioned in the team description, as long as you see no reliable check/counter to Cune, you can land big time to the opposition with Suicune.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-218489973: This is a quick game, showing how this Hyper Offense team works, despite the incapability to remove Rocks. (Remember kids, do not use non-Mega Blastoise!)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-218412916: This was one of the closest games. Here, I failed to get up my final kill on Alakazam, since I planned to spam unboosted accuracy Stone Edge instead of safe options like Aerial Ace. (Take note that only Suicune can tank a Custap Lead Forry's Explosion.)

That is all, and thanks! -Majore

*Importable:

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Knock Off

Krookodile (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Earthquake

Crobat (M)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a great team and I really like it, but could you provide an importable so that I can test it and see if I have any additions to make?

Edit: Since you have itemless crobat, maybe you could put black sludge brave bird in OO?

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey Majore D' Mawile, solid looking team. I do have a couple of recommendations though. The first thing I would do is definitely change Earthquake to Aqua Tail. This helps you deal with bulky grounds easier like Hippowdon and Donphan while also hitting whatever earthquake hit (Fire Types, Nidos, etc). It's still a preference thing, but I find Aqua Tail more useful than EQ most of the time.

Another change I would make is changing Crobat's speed EV's to 212. This will put you at just enough speed to outpace +1 Feraligatr, a huge threat in the tier now.
Other than that I still think it's a very solid team. Good Luck!

I agree with ^ on Crobat's speed, but i would also potentially recommend taunt over u turn, the reason being that popular pokemon like florges can wish up on you and pass freely, and due to the lack of attack investment, it can shrug off your hits.

In addition why speed tie with rotom-h on heracross instead of outspeeding it? I would personally just run max speed but that's me. I also don't think facade is a good idea, perhaps change it to stone edge, or change the item to either toxic or flame orb, you can't guarantee that you're going to get statused.
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-346 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.

With changing taunt on crobat, this allows you to potentially run Pursuit on Krookodile. You already have a Dread Plate as an item, why not make full use of it? The benefits of trapping pokemon is endless, especially against pokemon which threaten the rest of your team, such as Reuniclus.

Okay, I guess it's about time to make my final UU move before I move on to Dubz, cause I found out Dubz is totally #1, like a boss!

CHANGES (will be applied in actual forum soon):
-
Crobat's EVs: 248HP/ 44 Def/ 216+ Spe ( thanks to xShiba and Decision Makers )
-Applied Taunt > U-turn to Crobat ( thanks to uu iz da shizzle )
-Increased Heracross's Speed EVs by 1 point (thanks to ^)

Things I may need to point out:
-I forgot to mention Heliolisk is by far very threatening to the team. I may need to remove the recommendation of Aqua Tail > EQ, as it is the only way to revenge it, whether LO or Specs set.
-To uu iz da shizzle: What move shall I scrap out to put Pursuit in Krook, or change to Black Glasses like Lilligant for OU mentioned?

Peace out, UU. I may not come back for some time, cause dubz is definitely the way-to-go. :]

Last edited:
Reactions: rs
Hi Majore D' Mawile , solid team here.
In order to stem your weakness to Mega Pidgeot I suggest you to change your Mega Aerodactyl set giving it Roost > Earthquake. In this way it will be a solid check that can recover its life everytime it makes pidgeot switch out. Also you will have a nice answer vs Crobat that can be a bit annoying due to lack of Sleep Talk on Suicune.
I think you can manage well Doublade even after you lose Suicune considering the presence of Knock Off Heracross that can support Krookodile's EQ so I'm not suggesting any change here.
DD Feraligatr might be a problem and the only way to deal with it without make changes is to fix Crobat's spread and make it faster, in order to let it outspeed +1 Adamant Feraligatr. The spread is the following: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Spe. I added further 4 evs in speed in order to outspeeding other Crobats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)