np: ORAS Ubers Suspect Process, Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! The Ubers Council (of two) have been talking about how to improve the metagame recently. After watching some UPL matches and doing some intense theorymonning, we determined the biggest issue with the meta is none other than Shaymin-S.

upload_2015-4-1_7-26-37.png

The biggest problem with Shaymin-S is its ability in conjunction with its Uncompetitive™ move Air Slash. This move already hits like a truck after the Life Orb and STAB boost, and with Serene Grace granting the move a 57.5% chance to flinch, the Shaymin user is free to spam Air Slash with aplomb. By using Air Slash, the Shaymin user takes the game out of the opposing player's hands, especially if Tesung is the one using Shaymin. As the Ubers tier has defined "Uncompetitive" as "inherently Uncompetitive" ever since Melee Mewtwo acquired power here, I'd say this Pokemon fits the criteria needed to be suspected.

Once the suspect ladder goes up, you will have until April 11th to acquire reqs and post a screenshot in this thread (I see no problem having the thread serve as both a req thread and a discussion thread). To prove your mastery and worth as an Ubers player, you must acquire a minimum of 1300 ELO on the Ubers ladder with a COIL of no less than 2200. If you don't know how ELO or COIL works or what they stand for, google it.

The obligatory song has absolutely nothing to do with Pokemon, but after examining the RU suspect threads the only thing that matters is that the song choice has a mild homosexual flavour to it. Take it away, Pete Burns.

Love the OP

Yeah there are 2 uncompetative issues going on in Ubers; Elevation moves and Shaymin-S (Not Mega-Genger!). His speed means that only Mewtwo and Deo-A/Deo-S can reliably out-speed him and prevent being haxed. This combined with its high power moves and seed-flare means nothing can tank its air slash. As shown in the recent replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-45650 this guy can win games out of pure hax. I have a feeling if this guy is banned it will set a president in OU where a certain steel pixy who likes to spam iron head will also get a second looking, but that's fine by me.

I don't think anyone can deny he is very uncompetative, I think its poor bulk and typing is why it has never been banned. But thats not a good enough excuse for me. I will be away during the entire suspect process so I can't contribute much to this thread, but I'm all for banning it. Don't have anything to add really lol. Its too haxy and dangerous to be allowed in Ubers.

Reactions: Muk
Please why you suspecting this damn thing before suspecting evasion.Evasion pass also increases greatly the luck factor and some teams who are otherwise solid specially bulky builds are hopeless against it. I find it way more threatening than shaymin who is weak to priority.if you make an HO without a strong priority user you obviously gonna get trahsed by shaymin and i talked to my friend PomMan who got greatly annoyed by tesungs shaymin in upl.

Edit:aite fuck me I didn't notice it was 1 april and to be fair no offense i wouldn't be surprised that you would actually suspect shaymin for real :p

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Please why you suspecting this damn thing before suspecting evasion.Evasion pass also increases greatly the luck factor and some teams who are otherwise solid specially bulky builds are hopeless against it. I find it way more threatening than shaymin who is weak to priority.if you make an HO without a strong priority user you obviously gonna get trahsed by shaymin and i talked to my friend PomMan who got greatly annoyed by tesungs shaymin in upl.
Look at the date friend.

Skymin is definitely one of the most broken, if not the most broken thing in Ubers right now. Forget about Evasion and Primal Groudon, this is truly an Ubers-breaking Pokemon. With Serene Grace and Air Slash/Seed Flare, it not only invalidates special walls like Blissey, Lugia, Latias, and Sunkern. Just look at this thing (calcs are at -2 because of Seed Flare):
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. -2 0 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 282-333 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO <-- Blissey gets dropped in just 3 hits.
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 104-123 (25 - 29.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery <-- Lugia resists Seed Flare, but hit it once and watch the rest of your Air Slashes flinch the living hell out of this thing.
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. -2 212 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 242-285 (68.3 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- one of each move and Latias is gone. Forget about Soul Dew bringing back the twins.
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Sunkern: 1477-1739 (734.8 - 865.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO <-- Wall? What wall?

We banned Moody because it was deemed 'uncompetitive' because it randomly gave stat boosts to the user that often made it either impossible to hit, wear down, or live a hit from. Skymin goes past this with Serene Grace, destroying walls and immobilizing everything with its ridiculous chance to both halve the special defense of any 'mon and then constantly flinch it. Get it outta here.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Really happy shaymin-sky is going to be suspected.

Since the release of ORAS, Primal groudon and mega-salamence have been the kings of ubers. Both of these mons have incredible bulk and power because of which style like stall can't be used. Now, back in ORAS, the reason why shaymin-sky wasn't so dominant (as it is now) was because there was no dominant mons like primal-groudon and mega-salamence and players could without much problems use stall teams as shaymin-sky wasn't able to do much vs stall teams. Now, since its a high risk to use stall teams because of things like salamence, players are forced to use balance or offensive teams which makes shaymin-sky a beast. Thanks to its great speed, shaymin-sky can outspeed 90 percent of the ubers meta + great special attack + life orb boost + serene grace + access to healing wish making shaymin-sky one of the most dominant mons in ubers now.

In the first two games of UPL, one can clearly see that shaymin-sky is unhealthy for the tier.

I agree with this suspect 100%, I haven't played ubers since gen 1 since it's just been shit since then, hopefully with this guy banned we can move on to ban the other stupid stuff in the tier and get back to the mewtwo vs mewtwo days of yore.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Back when I played ubers just to participate in the Gengarite suspect solely to meet the requirements to get TC, I stumbled upon a Pokemon that was more troublesome than Mega Gengar himself: Skymin. Smogon has always been about competitive Pokemon more than anything else, and has always tried to alleviate factors that reduce the competitiveness of Pokemon as a game such as Swagger and the Endless Battle Clause, and I believe that Skymin, with it's 60% chance to Flinch, ridiculous speed, amazing STABs, one of which has 120 BP and 80% chance to drop SpD by -2, is extremely uncompetitive and toxic to the metagame.

I definitely support a suspect but I won't be participating because I already have a TC badge. Good luck!

Honestly why are we even considering this? Just use Hypno with Inner Focus.

252+ Atk Life Orb Hypno Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 411-484 (120.5 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Hypno: 109-129 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO

The solution is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)