Applying to college

Wrong answer
princeton is a terrible place with terrible people. according to the people i know who go there no one gives a fuck about learning. it's just about making connections and cheating for perfect grades for when u go to stanford for grad school. if u dont care about the atmosphere of the school then yeah, wrong answer

at least cali is warm

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
princeton is a terrible place with terrible people. according to the people i know who go there no one gives a fuck about learning. it's just about making connections and cheating for perfect grades for when u go to stanford for grad school. if u dont care about the atmosphere of the school then yeah, wrong answer

at least cali is warm
Yes because this is an accurate representation of the school.

Woodchuck, if you want to know what an Ivy League atmosphere is really like let me know and we'll talk. I'm graduating from one in a couple months and going to another one for grad school.

I go to UVA and would be happy to answer any questions. There's actually been a bit of a stirr here over the board's attempts to raise tuition, but a significant protest by students and alumni have the the situation currently undecided. As it stands, UVA instate is consistently rated a top value college, and my roommate is in a similar situation (went to high school in KY like me, but had moved residence in time to pay instate even by his first semester).

I go to UVA and would be happy to answer any questions. There's actually been a bit of a stirr here over the board's attempts to raise tuition, but a significant protest by students and alumni have the the situation currently undecided. As it stands, UVA instate is consistently rated a top value college, and my roommate is in a similar situation (went to high school in KY like me, but had moved residence in time to pay instate even by his first semester).
Doesn't moving residence require having lived in the state for a minimum of one full year? I'd love to change residence as soon as I can (can't wait to get out of Florida), and the drop in tuition would make my decision a million times easier. On another note, how do you feel the student-to-teacher ratio at UVA is? I know lots of smaller schools (like the rest of my list) like to show off how low they keep their ratios, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be comfortable in a class with only five or so other people.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok I missed Brown and Tufts. So the decision is:
Brandeis University class of 2018 and Columbia University class of 2020!
If that sounds weird, it's the 3-2 engineering program; click here if you're unfamiliar with it.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Quite late, but:

Bad time during college apps+mediocre everything = yikes

Rejected (all cs): Princeton, Yale, Stanford, MIT
Accepted: UIUC ENG CS

Super glad that I ended up here. Didn't realize how crazy the program had gotten so quickly (34.6 departmental average ACT for incoming class... 92k avg starting salary for previous leaving class, almost guaranteed internships every summer after freshman year, $180mil/yr funding from NSF (compare to MIT/stanford CS 80mil or berkeley 110)), and I'm lucky and so so grateful to have even gotten in with my apps.

The reality is that (at this point), there is indeed a gap between mit/stanford/carnegie and everyone else at undergrad level (even berkeley), but opportunities abound regardless.

Great place, nice people, turn up ! I am up for any questions related to UIUC :)

Last edited:
Amherst is pretty cool. Little too wild and big for my tastes. Business and engineering are pretty good, and the honors college is great from what I hear if you got into that.
I got into Commonwealth Honors College,so yeah :) 2290 SAT kekkles ;-;

A year late, but:

Bad time during college apps+mediocre everything = yikes

Rejected (all cs): Princeton, Yale, Stanford, MIT
Accepted: UIUC ENG CS

Super glad that I ended up here. Didn't realize how crazy the program had gotten so quickly (34.6 departmental average ACT for incoming class... 92k avg starting salary), and I'm lucky to have even gotten in with my apps. Great place, nice people, well-funded, turn up ! I am up for any questions related to UIUC :)
holE fuck 92000 starting salary o_0. UIUC stands for which college by the way?

Wow that's a p awesome college for CS just sayin. Anybody mind telling me why the admissions process seems to be such a coinflip? I mean 3.4 as a GPA ain't that bad and I also have a 2290 SAT,so I'm p surprised I got into only one college :(

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
It's such a coinflip first and foremost because all of the "good" schools (read: schools that are really famous and prestigious, not necessarily the ones that are actually the best) are swamped by a deluge of applications every year, so regardless of what criteria they use to determine which little subset of that number actually get in, a lot of people who meet the requirements they set out and are definitely deserving applicants end up rejected. It seems pretty arbitrary at times, yeah - I remember a couple of years back when everybody in my senior class was getting their admissions decisions back, there was this one guy in my calculus and foreign policy classes who got rejected from UC Berkeley and accepted at Stanford, which was actually a better school for his intended major (and I think had higher standards as well, but I'm not positive - I only talked to him about it once and this was three years ago). Point being, yeah, the admission process screws a lot of otherwise deserving people over due to sheer numbers.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's also worth noting that a 3.4 GPA will make it very difficult to get into any of the "good" schools without a very compelling and unique reason for them to let you in.

On another note, how do you feel the student-to-teacher ratio at UVA is? I know lots of smaller schools (like the rest of my list) like to show off how low they keep their ratios, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be comfortable in a class with only five or so other people.
It depends largely on what you want to do. I'm in CS (in the engineering school), and most of my classes have been 20-50 people so far. Granted, Once I start into further major courses next semester I'll probably be looking at smaller sizes. I know the premed reqs (mostly bio and chem) and the intro econ classes will put you in much larger lectures, but I haven't needed to take any of those. There's a nice tool here that shows all the classes currently offered by each department and the size of each section.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
rejected to berkeley, stanford, carnegie, and princeton, waitlisted to harvard for EECS

accepted to and attending georgia tech (i'm from georgia).

feels bad to be rejected, my academically my "stats" were very near perfect, but (much more importantly) conveyed that there was a real, true, breathing human being behind the wall of scores that's required for these applications. i feel very frustrated because i don't feel as if there was anything, if i could have gone back and done it over, that i could have done better. i had no opportunities to get an internship as i'd have had to live at least an hour from home and i was 16 this summer.

maybe i could have dove more into EE or CS and done some projects of my own volition. maybe i could have distilled my soul into an MS Word document and submit it for my writing supplement. i dunno. whatever it was, i have left the process feeling extremely disheartened.

just curious - how many of you guys (who have been an active participant on smogon for a few years) mentioned smogon in your college application?

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
just curious - how many of you guys (who have been an active participant on smogon for a few years) mentioned smogon in your college application?
I mentioned it very very briefly on one single app when I was applying years ago. I was rejected from that school.

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
probably going to be going to University of Texas at Austin for biology
DTC one of my essays had stuff about how i really like the smogon doubles community

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I'm gonna aim high and try to go for Stanford University for engineering. If that doesn't work out, I'll see what other "good" schools are offering and pick from one of them.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
DTC I used it on my transfer application essay for the UCs. I was already in a guaranteed-acceptance program with Davis, which I've decided is where I'm going, but we'll see whether it had any impact on the other ones I applied to (it's kind of a tossup everywhere except Davis because I've got a 3.75 GPA but fuck-all else going for me).

Last edited:
Ok I missed Brown and Tufts. So the decision is:
Brandeis University class of 2018 and Columbia University class of 2020!
If that sounds weird, it's the 3-2 engineering program; click here if you're unfamiliar with it.
So ur going to brandeis for 3 years then Columbia for 2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)