Darkrai

Overview
########

Darkrai has a very high base Speed, letting it outpace most of the DOU metagame with little investment, and thanks to its great Special Attack, it can deal great damage to all of the DOU metagame, 2HKOing most of them and opening up spaces for other team members to set up or sweep the opponent's team. Darkrai also has access to great coverage moves such as Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast and Will-O-Wisp for utility, making it an unpredictable and dangerous threat; however, its bulk and typing make for a big drawback, as they are mediocre and make Darkrai weak to very common types, therefore lacking resistances to switch in safely.

Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Focus Blast / Thunderbolt
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
evs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Dark Pulse is Darkrai's main STAB move, as it is quite powerful and has an extra 20% chance to cause the foe to flinch. Ice Beam is mainly for coverage, as it is able to hit common Pokemon such as Thundurus, Togekiss, and Amoonguss hard. Focus Blast is a strong move that hits Pokemon that resist Darkrai's STAB type such as Tyranitar, Scrafty, and Terrakion hard; however, it is a bit unreliable because of its low accuracy. Thunderbolt hits Keldeo and Azumarill, which both resist Darkrai's STAB type, hard and also hits Mega Charizard Y super effectively. Will-O-Wisp is used to burn and threaten common physical threats, as it is very annoying because it is guaranteed to burn non-Fire-type foes and is more reliable than Focus Blast versus foes such as Bisharp and Terrakion. Protect scouts the opposing Pokemon's moves, helps with avoiding Fake Out, and gives Darkrai's partner a chance to KO opposing threats such as Conkeldurr or other powerful Fairy- and Fighting-types. You can also give Darkrai Blizzard in the place of Ice Beam if you are using it on a hail team.

Set Details
========
252 Special Attack EVs are given to maximize the damage Darkrai deals, especially with Life Orb. 176 Speed EVs are given so Darkrai can outspeed all Pokemon up to those with base 115 Speed, such as Raikou. However, if the situation requires it, Darkrai can run more Speed at the cost of HP. The remaining EVs are put into HP to allow Darkrai to gain some bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Darkrai is able to scare off all common Follow Me and Rage Powder users such as Togekiss, Jirachi, and Amoonguss with Dark Pulse and Ice Beam. Darkrai should be brought in on a free switch due to its lackluster bulk and weakness to common types. Darkrai can be used at any point in the game depending on the opponent's team, as it can easily deal with early-game Pokemon such as Aegislash but can also perform well late-game when every Pokemon is weak enough for Darkrai to clean.

Team Options
========

Redirection partners such as Amoonguss, Togekiss, and Jirachi are excellent due to Darkrai's lackluster bulk. Pokemon with Wide Guard such as Aegislash and Hitmontop help a lot against Sylveon's Hyper Voice, and Aegislash also covers Darkrai's weaknesses well. Pokemon with Quick Guard are good too, as Darkrai is very frail and struggles against Fighting-types; therefore Talonflame is a good partner, as it can take on Fighting-types, scares off Bug- and Fighting-types, can set up Tailwind, resists Fairy-type attacks, and can tank priority moves such as Mach Punch well. Pokemon with a Fairy-type resistance are good to cover Darkrai's weakness, such as Heatran, Aegislash, and Amoonguss. Teammates that can hit Fighting-types hard such as Sylveon, Latios, and Cresselia are good options. Pokemon with Intimidate such as Landorus-T help against most Fighting-types, as most of them are physical attackers. Finally, Darkrai has access to Blizzard, so it can be used in conjunction with Abomasnow, and its Dark typing helps scare off Aegislash, which greatly threatens hail teams otherwise.

Other Options
########

Psychic can be considered as an answer against Fighting-types, such as Conkeldurr and Hitmontop, but it's not that useful. Taunt can be considered in order to stop Trick Room users or Pokemon such as Amoonguss from using sleep-inducing moves such as Spore. Sludge Bomb is another good option against Fairy-types such as Sylveon, Togekiss, and Azumarill if you aren't using Thunderbolt, but it provides less useful coverage than other moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Type Advantage**: Fairies such as Sylveon, Mega Diancie, Azumarill, and Mega Gardevoir can take any hit from Darkrai and KO it back with their Fairy-type STAB moves, though they need to watch out for Sludge Bomb. Assault Vest Conkeldurr can tank any hit from Darkrai and OHKO it with Drain Punch or hit a weakened Darkrai with a priority Mach Punch. Escavalier and Volcarona are good checks, as they can tank a hit from Darkrai fairly well and threaten it with their Bug-type STAB moves, and Volcarona is immune to Will-O-Wisp. Keldeo can take any hit from Darkrai and KO it back with Secret Sword.

**Speed Control**: Thunder Wave makes Darkrai useless, so watch out for Thunder Wave users such as Thundurus. Moves that cause Darkrai's Speed to drop such as Thunder Wave, Trick Room, and Icy Wind cause direct harm towards Darkrai's main quality: high Speed, especially because Darkrai does not have the bulk to tank attacks from faster Pokemon. Darkrai is virtually useless in Trick Room, as it will almost always move last and gets hit hard by common Trick Room sweepers such as Scrafty.

**Speed**: Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Genesect can outspeed and deal heavy damage to Darkrai with Superpower or U-turn, but they can't switch in on any of its moves.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just looking at the actual set:

Slash Sludge Bomb with Focus Blast. Hitting Fairies reliably is super helpful, and Focus Blast, while providing good coverage, is so inaccurate. I personally prefer Sludge Bomb and would do it as main slash, but if other QC think Focus Miss should stay primary, go with that.

Could bump to 176 speed to outrun Raikou too. Dunno if other QC feel Raikou is relevant enough.

Overview:
  • You don't need to plainly list darkrai's special attack and speed in the overview. The Pokedex has the stats listed at the top of each Pokemon's page. You could go into more relevant detail and say that Darkrai has an awesome Speed stat that allows it to outspeed most of the metagame with little investment.
  • You don't need to list all of it's weaknesses, people should already know what dark is weak to. Just say it has a lot of common weaknesses and not very many resistances to switch in on.
  • Don't need the Bad Dreams mention because it has nothing to do with how it performs in battle.
  • it's defenses aren't frail, they just aren't good either.
Set:
  • Slash Will-O-Wisp behind Sludge Bomb imo
Moves:
  • Don't forget to mention what sludge bomb does, and add what wow does also.
Set Comments:
  • Just say the speed evs outspeed thundurus, outspeeding base 110's is a given if it already outspeeds Base 111.
Checks & Counters:
  • You have a random sentence in **typing advantage** that is about speed control?
  • Also these should be in bullet points until you get the 3rd check.
  • Scarf Landorus-T and Genesect should be in a **Speed** tab, and you should emphasize that they don't want to switch in on anything.
  • Take out electroweb because rotom never uses that anymore.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're missing 8 EVs. I'd recommend throwing them into HP. Or if this would mean that you incur extra life orb damage, into special defence instead. (It's difficult to check this stuff when you're posting on your phone)

Dark pulse only has a 20% chance to flinch

Remove mega diancie as a target of focus blast. It is hit neutrally by focus blast. (Personally I'd ice beam it usually)

You mention 176 Spe in the analysis, yet 144 in set comments. This should be consistent.

Add thunderbolt to OO

Will give this a more thorough read when I return home in 5-6 days

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am an avid user of darkrai and I can safely say that sludge bomb is not a very good move on it. Sludge bomb doesnt manage to ohko relevant fairies like mega garde and sylveon, and in the same turn, darkrai gets ohkoed by hyper voice. You would be better off having a poison or steel type partner to darkrai. Move sludge bomb to OO imo.

Add offensive steel types like megagross/genesect/aegislash to team options that can come in on fairy attacks and retaliate with se stab steel moves.

add mega gengar to team options maybe, it traps and gets rid of most fairies.

also imo make a quick mention that dark void is banned in smogon doubles and thats why the ubers set has it and we dont

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In set details, it should say "176 Spe in order to outspeed everything base 115 speed or slower."

In usage tips, it should say "With Dark Pulse and Ice Beam, it's able to scare off all common Follow Me and Rage Powder users Togekiss, Jirachi, and Amoonguss."

Also in usage tips, I wouldn't say it can clean late game. There's too much priority in the tier and scarf landoge everywhere. It needs quite a bit of support to clean.

In team options, I think Quick Guard is more important than Wide Guard. Darkrai is a fast, but frail attacker who hates being hit by priority. You mention Talonflame below and it is doubly good here bc it can also provide Quick Guard.

Add Snarl to Other Options

Add Escavalier and Scizor to Checks and Counters in Type Advantage, though they have to watch out for Will-o-Wisp

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The overview is looking a little too short; flesh it out a bit. Talk about what Darkrai does for its team.

In team options you mention Sylveon when you talk about Wide Guard, but otherwise fail to mention its Fairy weakness. Add some Pokemon that can take on common Fairies, like Heatran and (sort of) Amoonguss.

In checks and counters, the Speed tag should be removed. You should mention its frailty, however; Darkrai can't take a ton of hits. For the overview and c&c sections, refer to Darkmalice's thread.

Let me know when you do these and I'll give you the third stamp.

Side note: I know English isn't your first language, but you might want to clean up the language a bit; GP is going to have a heart attack...

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just in case you don't know Enki, Lolk is joking about including Dark Void.

We cannot include it into our analyses until the suspect test has finished and the community has decided if Dark Void is broken or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)