Darkrai (GP: 2/2)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: WreckDra / Sweep / Steelphoenix
GP Checks: GatoDelFuego / P Squared

My Dreams are Other's Nightmares

[OVERVIEW]

Darkrai continues its reign as a potent offensive threat in the Ubers tier, having access to the formidable Dark Void and Nasty Plot. Being capable of sleeping a target with reasonable consistency makes checking Darkrai a challenge, often forcing the opponent to fodder something to sleep. Darkrai is rather unique as an offensive threat because it has the potential to circumvent nearly any check with an appropriate coverage or utility move, making Darkrai particularly dangerous for defensive teams. Dark Void also allows Darkrai to lead reasonably well, limiting faster foes to a single turn and preventing slower leads from being able to move at all initially. Its fantastic Speed tier of base 125 is slightly higher than that of Arceus and higher than that of a majority of the Ubers tier, while a solid base 135 Special Attack gives Darkrai enough power to make use of this Speed. Its unique combination of stats, movepool, and typing gives Darkrai everything it needs to annihilate common threats such as Ghost Arceus, Latias, Latios, Lugia, and Giratina-O. Darkrai is also fairly easy to fit onto an offensive team, as a great amount of pressure can be placed on the opponent due to the combination of Dark Void and Nasty Plot. Its signature ability Bad Dreams is quite handy, dealing passive damage to sleeping targets and breaking Focus Sashes and Multiscale. Unfortunately, Darkrai is dependent on a Life Orb to deal the amount of damage it needs and thus can only attack so many times. Yveltal also competes with Darkrai to an extent; however, Darkrai has the unique advantages of Dark Void, Nasty Plot, and a superior Speed stat. Due to its fragility, Darkrai is hampered by common methods of revenge killing such as priority moves and Choice Scarf users. While Dark Void is accurate enough to be consistent, it's still not perfect and is notorious for missing.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Dark Void
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Nasty Plot / Thunder
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Thunder
item: Life Orb
ability: Bad Dreams
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void is Darkrai's signature move, allowing for the incapacitation of one opposing Pokemon. This aids in Darkrai's ability to lead, set up Nasty Plot, and justify its use by forcing the opponent to fodder something. Dark Pulse is Darkrai's best STAB attack and has a 20% chance to cause the foe to flinch. Nasty Plot is easy to set up thanks to the switches that Dark Void causes, and it allows Darkrai to put on additional offensive pressure. With Fairy-types being the most common Pokemon that resist Dark held by opposing teams, Sludge Bomb can deal strong damage to these threats. Thunder 2HKOes common checks to Darkrai such as Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre, and it can OHKO Yveltal if Stealth Rock is up. Thunder also deals fair damage to Klefki; however, Dark Void and Taunt can also be used to stop incoming Klefki. Taunt is also an option, which prevents the use of Sleep Talk and Defog while stopping several defensive Darkrai switch-ins such as Blissey.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Darkrai to outspeed Arceus formes and below. This is very important because one of Darkrai's greatest assets to an offensive team is its ability to pressure common Defoggers. The maximum Speed investment is also optimal for Darkrai versus Darkrai matchups, which aren't particularly common but still relevant enough to mention. 252 Special Attack EVs are invested in order to boost Darkrai's Special Attack so that Darkrai can sweep with Nasty Plot or intermediately wallbreak opposing Pokemon. The remaining 4 EVs are slotted into Defense as to not give Genesect an Attack boost with Download. A Life Orb is used to further boost the power of Darkrai's moves at the cost of some HP, which is needed because Darkrai is not nearly as much of an offensive threat without the 1.3x power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Darkrai leads well against a variety of threats, but it is best not to lead with it if the opponent has a Genesect or Diancie, which will force Darkrai out immediately. Due to Sleep Clause, Darkrai can only place one target to sleep at a time, so choose well; this can mean not opting to use Dark Void when it is clear that your opponent is going to send something in that is different from what you want to sleep. Darkrai has a very finite existence due to a lack of recovery and Life Orb recoil, so never keep it in longer than is needed. Furthermore, the simple act of keeping Darkrai alive means that your opponent will often not bother to try awakening the Pokemon that was slept. This can mean that sacrificing Darkrai is less advantageous than sacrificing another Pokemon in certain scenarios, because it can ensure that the slept Pokemon stays out of commission. Darkrai can prevent the use of Defog if it maintains a presence after entry hazards have been set due to its ability to outspeed all common Defoggers and hit them with Dark Void or Taunt. Darkrai also has a good matchup against a variety of common Defoggers, such as Ghost Arceus, Latias, Latios, and Giratina-O, furthering Darkrai's ability to prevent a Defog. Nasty Plot is easy to set up thanks to Dark Void, but there is no point in setting up when the opponent has a healthy check to Darkrai; it is better to attack or double switch to an appropriate counter. Although Darkrai can beat a standard Geomancy or Life Orb Xerneas that switches into Dark Void, you must be wary of Choice Scarf Xerneas with Sleep Talk, which can potentially net a surprise KO on Darkrai.

Team Options
========

Darkrai is generally an independent Pokemon that doesn't necessarily require any specific support; however, there are a variety of teammate options that pair well with it and contribute to offensive synergy. Primal Groudon is able to smash a majority of the Pokemon that can check Darkrai, including Choice Scarf Xerneas, Mega Diancie, Genesect, Ho-Oh, Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Zekrom, and Choice Scarf Kyogre. Extreme Killer Arceus is also a great partner that benefits from Darkrai's ability to cut through Ghost Arceus, Giratina-O, and Lugia. With Darkrai's ability to threaten Defoggers and force switches, setters of entry hazards, especially Spikes, make for good teammates that help Darkrai abuse its attributes to the fullest. Such teammates can either be suicide entry hazard leads or offensive entry hazard setters. However, virtually all offensive Spikes setters are suicide leads. Kyogre can be used to take advantage of Darkrai's ability to threaten Latios, Latias, Giratina-O, and Primal Groudon, placing additional pressure on its checks. Offensive Xerneas benefits from Darkrai's ability to check Lugia and can potentially gain a setup opportunity from Dark Void. The few Pokemon that are able to check Mewtwo, such as Giratina-O and Ghost Arceus, are threatened by Darkrai, making it a powerful teammate. Zekrom can blast through Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre, two Pokemon that can be troublesome for Darkrai to impact. Lastly, offensive Steel-types such as Genesect and Choice Scarf Jirachi can U-turn into Darkrai when they draw out Pokemon such as Primal Groudon, Ghost Arceus, and Giratina-O.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########

A set that utilizes Leftovers and Substitute is a possibility, as Darkrai can set Substitutes rather well thanks to how it forces switches; however, such a set is noticeably weak and mono-Dark coverage is fairly bad. Focus Blast can hit Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Dark Arceus, Dialga, Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Mega Diancie. Will-O-Wisp can be used to hit Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Zekrom as they switch in predicting Dark Void, and it can also neuter Swords Dance Arceus that might attempt to set up. Thunder Wave can cripple Choice Scarf Xerneas switch-ins, along with other Choice Scarf users that are not Zekrom and Mega Mewtwo Y. A Focus Sash is an option to allow Darkrai to survive a move that would potentially knock it out, giving it an extra turn; however, entry hazards will render this item useless and the drop in power is significant. Hidden Power Steel is a niche coverage move that allows Darkrai to OHKO Mega Diancie, but otherwise the move is a poor choice. Ice Beam is a very niche option that can OHKO any Mega Salamence that attempts to set up, but the move has little other use.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Although Darkrai commonly runs Sludge Bomb, several Fairy-types prove to be effective checks. Mega Diancie can bounce Dark Void back at Darkrai, resists its STAB attack, and can OHKO it with Moonblast. Choice Scarf Xerneas can directly switch into Dark Void or Dark Pulse and make use of Sleep Talk, while bulkier Xerneas sets with Sleep Talk can attempt to pull off a Moonblast. Fairy Arceus has enough bulk to tank Darkrai's boosted Sludge Bombs and can OHKO with Judgment. Klefki resists Dark Pulse and is immune to Sludge Bomb, while it can cripple Darkrai with Thunder Wave or hit hard with Play Rough.

**Sleep Talk**: Users of Sleep Talk can absorb Dark Void and retaliate with an attack. Choice Band Ho-Oh and defensive Kyogre both run Sleep Talk, are specially bulky, and have powerful attacks. Choice Scarf users also sometimes carry the move so they can switch directly into Dark Void and outspeed and KO Darkrai.

**Blissey**: Blissey is one of the few defensive Pokemon that can stall out most variants of Darkrai with Toxic and Life Orb recoil due to its excellent special bulk. Its ability Natural Cure also makes it a decent sleep absorber.

**Priority**: Priority moves such as Extreme Speed, Fake Out, and Bullet Punch can be used to revenge kill Darkrai. Arceus and Rayquaza are the most common users of Extreme Speed, and while neither can OHKO Darkrai unboosted, they can still bring an end to Darkrai. Fake Out is most commonly used by Mega Kangaskhan, while Bullet Punch is used by Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, and Mega Lucario.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Xerneas, Genesect, Jirachi, Kyogre, Zekrom, and Landorus-T are all faster than Darkrai while holding a Choice Scarf, making them potential revenge killers.

**Mewtwo**: Mewtwo is one of the few unboosted Pokemon that is capable of outspeeding Darkrai. Mega Mewtwo X can revenge kill Darkrai with its powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks, but it usually cannot afford to switch directly into Dark Void. Mega Mewtwo Y is immune to Dark Void but fears being hit with Dark Pulse when coming in, although it is faster than Darkrai and capable of OHKOing it with Focus Blast. Non-Mega Mewtwo can also revenge kill Darkrai if running Focus Blast, but it cannot switch in under most circumstances.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Tyranitar are bulky enough to comfortably tank Sludge Bomb and resist Darkrai's STAB attack.

**Thunder Wave**: Paralysis cripples Darkrai, allowing a significantly wider margin of Pokemon to take advantage of its fragility.

Last edited:
i'd describe what advantages Darkrai has over Yveltal, you mention that it competes with it to an extent but its best to make it clear to the reader what this means.
you should add onto the point of it fitting onto offensive teams by saying that darkrai is a great calm mind arceus check that fits offensive teams very well since it always outspeeds them.
shouldnt taunt go in moves at least? its still great for stopping defog and avoiding setup/status moves if something is asleep already.
mega diancie is no 1 counter? ehhh im not sure about that, sludge bomb 2hkos it after sr (or 2hkos it without sr if its mega already) and you outspeed it so it cant switch in very safely unless there is something im missing
tyranitar, ho-oh and primal kyogre are all good answers as well, could do with some mentions of them somewhere
i laughed at how thunder wave has its own section but i'd probably just rename it status, darkrai doesnt like anything that limits its sweeping potential

thats all i noticed so far

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Moved Taunt to moves mention.

Ttar, Ho-Oh, and P Ogre are all in C&C already.

Support Mega Diancie escapes the 2HKO from Sludge Bomb and can OHKO in return; assuming its already Mega it can come into any of Darkrai's attacks and win, if its not Mega it can't come into Dark Void but it tanks D Pulse and Sludge better. If there is something that counters Darkrai better please mention it.

Stray Thunder Waves are everywhere these days and I believe they deserve an explicit mention, but you shouldn't be sending Darkrai into attacks very often anyways.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
This is skeleton form so I have them just listed. If QC wants me to elaborate on why I feel a particular Pokemon in that list is a good partner I can, but they will be elaborated on anyways once this gets written.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
again NOT QC but that being said:

I think Leftovers should at least get an other options mention - if Substitute can get slashed in, so can something that works well with it

now here comes the controversial bit: i think that Thunder should be slashed in with Nasty Plot. Now I get it, Nasty Plot allows it to 'sweep', but unless circumstances are just right late game, it's not gonna do so much of that as a bit of cleaning (which, if cleaning is the goal, extra coverage is optimal). Thunder helps deal hefty damage to two of its biggest checks, POgre and Ho-Oh, and is a great all around coverage move. I know there are people that agree with me, so try not to hate too much :x

edit: i was asked to mention that Thunder also hits Yveltal :x

Last edited:
Maybe Will-o-wisp in OO? I guess it's an ok option (for sure it's quite gimmicky, but I don't think it's much less viable than Thunder Wave which is in OO), and it lets you to burn Scarf Zekrom (that is gonna switch-in on Dark Void and then attack you with Sleep Talk), Extreme Killer and Sword Dance Arceus Ground, so it has its own niches imo, they aren't obviously many ones, but I think they are enough to deserve a little mention in OO.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Gave Leftovers OO mention.

My original logic behind not slashing Thunder with NP was that its intended targets are few and specially bulky anyways. Upon doing some cals, Thunder 2HKOs standard Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, and can OHKO Yveltal with rocks up. While +2 Dark Pulse does more than unboosted Thunder to Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre, I found these cals significant enough (Darkrai outright beats Ho-Oh and P Ogre switch-ins assuming Thunder actually hits) to warrant it a moves mention. If QC believes the move is good enough to be slashed with NP or slashed in an alternative way, or not worth a moves mention at all, I'll change it.

I personally find Thunder Wave better than WoW on Darkrai for a variety of reasons (die Scarf Xern), but mainly because it's Thunder Wave. OO is pretty lax though so I'll add Will-O-Wisp.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
See if you can splash in Usage Tips and Team Options what Darkrai does for Hyper Offense in preventing Defog after the hazard setter has fainted. Mention suicide leads in Team Options to compliment this.

Thunder not only hits the Pokemon you mentioned in the post above this, but also hits Klefki for a possible 2HKO after Spikes and Stealth Rock which is nice because the stupid key chain hard walls Darkrai otherwise, making Darkrai a strong mid game mon for Geomancy Xerneas if Thunder is carried on Darkrai. I still think it should be in moves, I also think Substitute should be moves only if not OO as well. Make it moves for now I guess, I just really don't like mono Darkrai in this meta. We shall see what other QC memeber have to say about it.

Mega Diancie doesn't need its own slot in C&C to be honest, Sludge Bomb owns it on the switch or get damage for a Mega Mence / Ho-Oh that it needs to justify its presence on the team. Just mention the way Magic Bounce messes up it ability to spam Dark Void the first turn on the field in your write up and you're good. Mewtwo formes are OK checks as well, since MMX is MMX and the special ones now carry Focus Blast a large amount of the time.

QC 1/3

Last edited:
Substitute to OO with Leftovers please, there's a reason no one uses it (outside maybe ladder): too easy to check in this meta. I agree with Wreckdra that Thunder is worth a slash, but make sure it comes after Nasty Plot instead of before. Also I'm fine with Mega Diancie listed as a check along with the other fairies, Darkrai has to predict well to beat bulky ones and savvy opponent can take advantage of that (worst comes to worst it forces unpleasant 50/50's).

QC 2/3

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
put hp steel in oo as it KOs mdiancie which is a check some people use, and remove ice beam / haze / toxic from OO as they're fuckin useless. darkrai doesn't have the bulk to make use of haze, ice beam hits nothing you can't either sleep or dark pulse to ko, and toxic isn't actually good on everything, contrary to what some may believe. mention in the set details that Darkrai can get away with Dark Void / Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot / Thunder as the extent of Sludge Bomb's usefulness is hitting Geomancy or Rest Xerneas, which has no business coming in on a Darkrai it doesn't know anyway and +2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Thunder vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 325-383 (77.5 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes. Mention that Darkrai's ability to threaten defoggers and force switches makes it a phenomenal abuser of entry hazards, particularly Spikes, in Team Options. I'm gonna hold off on checking this until it's fully written up but it looks good so far ;]

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
I have implemented the stuff mentioned in the above three posts, however there are two points I feel that I need to elaborate on.

Instead of mentioning that Thunder + Nasty Plot can be used, I slashed Thunder after Sludge Bomb in addition to the NP / Thunder slash to get this more clearly across to people reading the analysis. If it is not acceptable to slash Thunder after Sludge Bomb but still worth justifying in moves then say so.

I find it hard to justify adding HP Steel but dropping Ice Beam. Both have a single intended target that Darkrai can now OHKO. While Darkrai clearly cannot revenge +1 DD Mence (unless it is running some crap like Scarf) having Ice Beam means that it cannot setup on you. You can argue that you can Void it or whatever, but it is much better to be able to outright OHKO it than mess around with sleep shenanigans and potential Void misses. Ice Beam even has a few other situational uses, while HP Steel is pretty much always outclassed by another coverage move outside of hitting Diancie. It's a niche move for sure, but so is HP Steel, so for now I included both.

Keep HP Steel, and even though it isn't very good I agree Mega Mence is enough of a threat to make Ice Beam worth mentioning in OO. You also hit SD Groundceus hard which is nice. Basically do what kitty said, except keep Ice Beam in OO instead of totally removing it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Expand on Set Details a bit more. Like I've been telling everyone else, this is the place where you tell the reader "why should I use this set/what it's supposed to accomplish". Do that and I'll approve.

Also, just a pet peeve of mine lately:

The remaining 4 EVs go into Defense to better handle physical priority moves
Unless the 4 EVs actually help out with a priority move (in which case mention which one), these "remaining EVs" lines are so useless. I mean, are you really going to take an Extreme Speed better just because you have 4 extra Defense EVs? Also Genesect gets an SpA boost by default, so you don't need 4 EVs to give it that boost. That said, it really doesn't matter where you put those 4 EVs (as long as it's not SpD), so I'm not going to tell you to change it. I'm just ranting :(

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Alright I added things to both set detail and usage tips.

Darkrai is somewhat different than other Pokemon when it comes to talking about the EV spread because it doesn't run a complex EV spread designed to survive x, y, and z from mons a, b, and c while running just enough Speed to beat d, and just enough offensive investment to KO e. It maxes out Speed because it has to and the rest goes to SpA because its only merit is as an offensive Pokemon. There aren't really any important benchmarks to mention about the set other than outspeeding Arc, which was already mentioned. I did my best to expand, but there just isn't that much to talk about as far as the purpose of the spread goes. The fact that threats a, b, and c are KOed after x SpA investment is irrelevant because you are going to run 252 SpA anyways; it's an offensive non-mixed attacker.

Also added copious mentions of relevant Pokemon such as Heatran.

Hope this is helpful :) Active members of GP please go through this:). Hope I didn't miss any commas :)
My Dreams are Other's Nightmares
Overview
########

Darkrai continues its reign as a potent offensive threat in the Ubers tier, having access to the formidable Dark Void and Nasty Plot. Being capable of putting foes to sleep sleeping a target with reasonable consistency makes checking Darkrai a unique challenge, often forcing the opponent to fodder(fodder should be changed but I don't know the substitute Sorry:( ) something to sleep. Dark Void also allows Darkrai to lead reasonably well, limiting faster foes to a single turn and preventing slower leads from being able to move at all moving initially. Its fantastic Speed tier of base 125 is slightly higher than Arceus,(RC) and higher than a the majority of the Pokemon in the Ubers tier, while a solid base 135 Special Attack gives Darkrai enough power to abuse it. Its unique combination of stats, movepool, and typing give Darkrai everything it needs to annihilate common threats such as Arceus-Ghost, Latias, Latios, Lugia, and Giratina-O. It is fairly easy to fit Darkrai is also fairly easy to fit I hope this isn't a mistake! onto an offensive team since a great amount of pressure can be placed on the opponent due to the combination of Dark Void and Nasty Plot. Its signature ability,(AC) Bad Dreams, is quite handy, dealing passive damage to sleeping targets and,(AC) breaking holders of a Focus Sashe and users of Multiscale. Unfortunately, Darkrai is dependent on a Life Orb to deal the amount of damage it needs to, and thus, can only attack only so many times. Yveltal also competes with Darkrai to an extent, however Darkrai has the its unique advantages of having Dark Void, Nasty Plot, and a superior Speed tier. Due to its fragility, Darkrai is hampered by common methods of revenge-killing such as priority moves and users of a Choice Scarf. While Dark Void is accurate enough to be consistent, it is still not perfect and is notorious for missing. Lastly, Darkrai is a poor fit for on ? defensive teams due to its fragility and inability to provide much defensive synergy.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Dark Void
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Nasty Plot / Thunder
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Thunder
item: Life Orb
aAbility: Bad Dreams
evEVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Dark Void is Darkrai's signature move, allowing for and allows the incapacitation of one opposing Pokemon. This aids in Darkrai's ability to lead, setup Nasty Plot, and justify its use by forcing the opponent to fodder (I don't know the substitute word) something. Dark Pulse is Darkrai's best option for a STAB attack, and also has an additional 20% chance to flinch the opponent. Nasty Plot is easy to set There is space here up thanks to the switches that can be is caused by Dark Void, and allows Darkrai to put on additional offensive pressure. With Fiary Fairy-types being the most common Pokemon resisting Dark-type Dark-type resist held by team don't know if your version was 'formal', Sludge Bomb is a coverage that can deal strong damage to these threats that resists Dark Pulse you mentioned that they resist Dark-type attacks. Thunder is a coverage option which 2HKOs common checks to Darkrai such as Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre, and it can OHKO Yveltal with rocks up. Thunder also deals fair damage to Klefki switch-ins, however Dark Void and Taunt can also be used to punish incoming Klefki. Taunt is also an option, which prevents the use of Sleep Talk and Defog while pressuring defensive Darkrai switch-ins.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allows Darkrai to outspeed Arceus formes and below. This is very important because,(AC) one of Darkrai's greatest assets to an offensive team is its ability to pressure common Defoggers. The maximum Speed investment is also optimal for Darkrai versus Darkrai match ups, which aren't particularly common but still relevant enough to mention. 252 Special Attack EVs are invested in order to further boost Darkrai's Special Attack so that Darkrai can sweep with Nasty Plot or intermediately wallbreak opposing Pokemon. Special Attack is also the most logical place for investment because Darkrai's function is as an offensive Pokemon, sporting bulk that is too meager to be worth investing into. The remaining 4 EVs are slotted into Defense as to not give Genesect's Download an Attack boost. A Life Orb is used as the held item to further boost the power of Darkrai's moves at the cost of some HP, which is needed because Darkrai is not nearly as much of an offensive threat without the 1.3x power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Darkrai leads well against a variety of threats, but it is best not to lead with it if the opponent has a Genesect or Diancie, which will force Darkrai out immediately. Due to Sleep Clause, Darkrai can only place one target to sleep at a time, so choose well; this can mean not opting to use Dark Void when it is clear that your opponent is going to send something in that is different from what you want to put to sleep this sentence is too colloquial but add it if it alters the meaning of the previous sentence . Darkrai has a very finite existence due to a lack of recovery and Life Orb recoil, so never keep it in longer than it is needed. Furthermore, the simple act of keeping Darkrai alive means that your opponent will often not bother to try awakening the Pokemon that was put to sleep slept. This can mean that sacking Darkrai is less advantageous than sacking another Pokemon in certain scenarios,(AC) because it can ensure that the slept sleeping Pokemon stays out of commission. Darkrai can prevent the use of Defog if it maintains a its presence after entry hazards have been set due to its ability to outspeed all common Defoggers and hit them with Dark Void or Taunt. Darkrai also has a good matchup Can a GP member please check if this word should be spaced out? against a variety of common Defoggers, such as when against Arceus-Ghost, Latias, Latios, and Giratina-O,(RC) furthering Darkrai's ability to prevent a Defog. Nasty Plot has is easy to setup,(AC) thanks to Dark Void, but there is no point in setting up when the opponent has a healthy check to Darkrai; it is better to attack or double to an appropriate counter. Although Darkrai can beat a standard Geomancy or Life Orb Xerneas that switches into Dark Void, you must be wary of Choice Scarf Xerneas with Sleep Talk which can potentially net a surprise KO on Darkrai.

Team Options
========

Darkrai is a pretty independent Pokemon that doesn't necessarily require any specific support, however, there are a variety of teammate options that pair well with it and contribute to its offensive synergy. Primal Groudon is able to smash a majority of the Pokemon that can check Darkrai, including Choice Scarf Xerneas, Mega Diancie, Genesect, Ho-Oh, Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Zekrom, and Choice Scarf Kyogre. Extremekiller Arceus is also a great partner that benefits from Darkrai's ability to cut through Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, and Lugia. With Darkrai's ability to threaten Defoggers and force switches, setters of entry hazards, especially Spikes, makes for teammates that can help Darkrai abuse its attributes to the fullest. Such teammates can either be suicide entry hazard leads or offensive entry hazard setters, however, virtually all offensive Spikes setters are suicide leads. Kyogre can be used to take advantage of Darkrai's ability to threaten Latios, Latias, Giratina-O, and Primal Groudon, placing additional pressure on its checks. Offensive Xerneas benefits from Darkrai's check to Lugia, and can potentially gain a setup opportunity from Dark Void. The few Pokemon that are able to check Mewtwo,(AC) such as Giratina-O and Arceus-Ghost are threatened by Darkrai, making it a powerful teammate. Zekrom can blast through Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre, two Pokemon that can be troublesome for Darkrai to impact. Lastly, offensive Steel-types such as Genesect and Choice Scarf Jirachi can U-Turn into Darkrai when they draw out Pokemon such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ghost, and Giratina-O.

Other Options
########

A set that utilizes Leftovers and Substitute is a possibility, as Darkrai can set substitutes rather well,(AC) thanks to how it forces switches, however such a set is noticeably weaker and mono Dark-type coverage is inferior. Focus Blast is a coverage move that can hit Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Arceus-Dark, Dialga, Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Mega Diancie. Will-O-Wisp can be used to hit Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Zekrom as they switch in predicting Dark Void, and can also neuter Swords Dance that opposing Arceus that may attempt to set up. Thunder Wave can cripple Choice Scarf Xerneas switch-ins, along with other Choice Scarf users that are not excluding Zekrom and Mega Mewtwo Y. A Focus Sash is an option to allow Darkrai to survive a move that would potentially knock it out, giving it an extra turn, however entry hazards will render this item useless and the drop in power is significant. Hidden Power Steel is a niche coverage move that allows Darkrai to OHKO Mega Diancie, but otherwise the move is a poor choice. Ice Beam is a very niche option that can OHKO any Mega Salamence that attempts to set up, but has little other use.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Although Darkrai commonly runs Sludge Bomb, several Fairy-types prove to be effective checks. Mega Diancie can bounce Dark Void back at Darkrai, resists its STAB attack, and can OHKO it with Moonblast. Choice Scarf Xerneas can directly switch into Dark Void or Dark Pulse and make use of Sleep Talk, while bulkier Xerneas sets with Sleep Talk can attempt to pull off a Moonblast. Arceus-Fairy has enough bulk to tank Darkrai's boosted Sludge Bombs and can OHKO with Judgment. Klefki resists Dark Pulse and is immune to Sludge Bomb, while and it can cripple Darkrai with Thunder Wave or hit hard with Play Rough.

**Sleep Talk**: Users of Sleep Talk can be used to absorb Dark Void and retaliate with an attack pulled from Sleep Talk. Choice Band Ho-Oh and Ddefensive Kyogre both run Sleep Talk, are specially bulky, and have powerful attacks. Choice Scarf users also sometimes carry the move Sleep Talk,(AC) which can be used to switch directly into Dark Void and then outspeed with some attack pulled from Sleep Talk.

**Blissey**: Blissey is one of the few defensive Pokemon that can stall out most variants of Darkrai with Toxic and Life Orb recoil due to its excellent special bulk. Its ability Natural Cure also makes it a decent sleep absorber.

**Priority**: Priority moves such as Extreme (space here according to new rules )sSpeed, Fake Out, and Bullet Punch can be used to revenge kill Darkrai. Arceus and Rayquaza are the most common users of Extremespeed, and while neither can OHKO Darkrai unboosted, they can still bring an end to Darkrai. Fake Out is most commonly used by Mega Kangaskhan, while Bullet Punch is used by Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, and Mega Lucario.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Xerneas, Genesect, Jirachi, Kyogre, Zekrom, and Landorus-T are all faster than Darkrai while holding a Choice Scarf, making them potential revenge killers.

**Mewtwo**: Mewtwo is one of the few unboosted Pokemon that is capable of outspeeding Darkrai. Mega Mewtwo X can revenge kill Darkrai with its powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks, but usually cannot afford to switch directly into Dark Void. Mega Mewtwo Y is immune to Dark Void, but fears being hit with Dark Pulse when coming in, although it is faster than Darkrai and capable of OHKOing it with Focus Blast. Non-Mega Mewtwo can also revenge kill Darkrai if running Focus Blast, but cannot switch in under most circumstances.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types,(AC) such as Tyranitar are bulky enough to comfortably tank Sludge Bomb and resist Darkrai's STAB attack.

**Thunder Wave**: Paralysis cripples Darkrai, allowing a significantly wider margin of Pokemon to take advantage of its fragility.

Last edited:

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

This is an issue. Blissey needs to be mentioned as a check because it has the bulk to live your attacks, can stall you with wish and/or protect, and eats up sleep. It's not the best check to Darkrai (nothing really checks it well, lol) due to Taunt and Nasty Plotting on unfortunate sleep rolls, but this is one of the few things Blissey actually comes in on in Ubers :S

In the overview mention that there's no way to check all variants of Darkrai. It has the movepool and the threat of sleep to beat everything that could switch in on it, which is what makes it such a big threat for stall. Mention that though it doesn't seem like it checks much due to shitty defensive stats and a poor defensive typing, it's actually a very nice check to cm arceus.

I don't see anything else, qc 3/3 when you implement what i said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)