Yilx is now banned from the studio

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After weeks of consideration, the Smeargle Studio council (Art Leaders + moderators) have unanimously decided to ban the artist Yilx from using the studio, resulting in the immediate lock of his thread. This artist has been with us for a very long time, but given the development during these last months, it has been made clear that his presence is unhealthy for Smogon's artist community at large.

His skill as an visual artist clearly outclasses the average user in the studio, where he has proven to be capable of performing various styles and techniques without sacrificing any quality, which thus proves that Yilx can be considered to be in a class of his own. While all artists need inspirational examples to look up to, it is also well known that exceptional artists can make new artists feel intimidated and quickly lose faith in their own work. And as Yilx can provide art of way above average quality, the work of other artists have become less viable as they cannot compete on the same terms.

Below are a few examples of Yilx's art.

Here are two quotes from the council that highlights why we've needed to go through with this decision:

Layell said:
Current Yilx usage in the Smeargle Studio has leaned too far towards the chibi anime with highly toned muscles. His artistic prowess and regular updates are unmatched by anyone else, and his skill in critique can completely dismantle unprepared artists. Recently in his art thread he has revealed an aptitude for turning his artwork into pixel art sprites, and not many can match up to this effective combination. While I am still a young Smeargle mod and member of the Smeargle Studio council, it is clear that this FIRST PLACE ARTIST should have been quickbanned a long time ago.
Bummer said:
His work is brilliant, his work methods are ingenious, and there are many times where his updates have left my jaw close to the floor. It saddens me, but given the sheer difference in skill and expertise, Yilx cannot and should not longer be part of the studio in order to give budding artists a part of the spotlight.
We are well aware that this change is the first time we've needed to exclude a user from the studio, but given how there are relatively few artists around compared to years ago, we need to adopt new policies in order to benefit our artist community in the long term. We'd also like to remind everyone that this ban ONLY affects the official Smeargle's Studio and its subforums, therefore making it possible to enjoy Yilx's work and services outside our forums.

Feel free to discuss in this thread how Yilx's leave will affect the integral structure of the studio and what overlooked artists may benefit from this powershift. If you have any questions, feel free to contact either one of the Art Leaders, Bummer and Zracknel, or any of the Smeargle's Studio moderators, elcheeso, Layell and RitterCat.

Happy Arting!

Last edited:
Wait, I don't like where this is going, but I'll get used to it. If this is going to take place, don't let him take over the flavor side of CAP, please.

I'm glad you finally have decided to take action against the menace known as Yilx. His tendency to draw flawless illustrations of cartoon females was out of hand, leading to drops in productivity of many of the Studio's male artists. We cannot allow such a negative influence to freely roam the sacred halls of Smogon.

Yilx has run around unchecked on the Studio ladder for too long. Hopefully we'll see less animu centralisation from now on.

I'm surprised that the Smeargle Studio council took this long to finally make the decision. Yilx's prowess is unprecedented!

His first arrival in the metagame really shook things up in the Smeargle Studio ladder. He was one of the pioneers of the paraflinching strategy, which rendered average viewers up to critics, to be almost completely immobilized by his magnificent style and craft. Going into the next generation, things really went up for Yilx having been given Sketch. This gave him immense versatility to complement his amazing stats and his already diverse movepool. Around those times, I believe Yilx, together with Nastyjungle and Fatecrashers, were suspected but the council ultimately decided to keep them all in efforts to maintain the competitiveness and the integrity in the ladder. I thought it was loads of bull that Yilx got to stay because his Bulk Up sets were just too hard to break, imo. Just check these demoralizing replays for yourself!

It is only late into the current generation that the council then finally realized the startling extent and degree of Yilx's powers. Not so recently, his hidden ability was revealed to be Pixilate. It's just as potent as Serene Grace and this is personally where I thought he crossed the line. Again, look at these appalling replays showcasing his destructive Pixilate-boosted barrages.

All of these in consideration, I believe the council was hard pressed to finally ban Yilx.

Future of Smeargle Studio

I would like to say that I am in full support of this decision as Yilx's presence in the ladder was just too unhealthy for the metagame. His absence would most probably boost the morale of Smogon's aspiring artists. One thing you should know is that he enforced lots of undesirable 50/50 scenarios: "While all artists need inspirational examples to look up to, it is also well known that exceptional artists can make new artists feel intimidated and quickly lose faith in their own work." Now, artists have a more leveled and even atmosphere to work in; the power gap is drastically decreased, which encourages a more positive outlook towards competition. Expect a decline in cute, toned anime girls, grand coloring and painterly strokes. I see simple, clean and cartoonish styles gaining even more visibility. Also, as mentioned by princessofmusic, we have Nsyncluvr69 being the current leader of the avant-garde movement which is really exciting to see.

This is shaping to be a promising metagame and I look forward in playing it someday. c:

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i, az, banished smmeargle mod, will free this man

he will come to me as he wanders the wastes outside of the studio, and there i shall teach him

there, he will learn to be a subpar artist

Yilx: BAN
The day has finally come for balance to be restored to the Studio. Yilx's prowess was simply too overpowering, serving as a constant threat to other artists that severely demoralised them and thus inhibited their work. Even though Yilx possesses great versatility, he barely needed to move past the brute strength of his stock-standard buff anime girls set! The Studio is undeniably healthier without him.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
As an alumni of Smogon's artistic integrity, I hereby call a rebellion against the moderators.

free yilx and destroy the evil bummer

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait, I don't like where this is going, but I'll get used to it. If this is going to take place, don't let him take over the flavor side of CAP, please.
We can only speak of our own experiences with Yilx in this area, and we acknowledge that there may be environments where he isn't an overpowered force. At the same time, we apologise if this decision affects the status quo of adjacent areas, but we need to act with the best interests of the studio and thus cannot feel guilty for hindering the development of areas unrelated to ours. If Yilx becomes a broken threat in CAP as well, then that's something your staff will need to act upon.

April Fools..?! :x
I know that this particular date may make these news seem sudden at best, but with my work in The Smog and Zracknel's conga lessons, this was the only opportunity we had for quite some time, and we simply couldn't postpone this announcement more than we've already have.

As an alumni of Smogon's artistic integrity, I hereby call a rebellion against the moderators.

free yilx and destroy the evil bummer
We support any community who's passionate about art and have different policies from ours, and we wish you the best of luck to incorporate Yilx in your group..

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have no prior knowledge of this Yilx character, but as a new moderator of this forum I approve the choice to ban him/her.

Not for the reasons aforementioned; this is all obviously an April Fools joke considering how much praise has been given to this terrible artwork. The ban is justified so that my eyes may never bleed again.
Don't kill me I'm kidding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)