Resource Don't Use That; Use This (ORAS Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facade isn't bad at all on Gliscor.Knock off is great for riddance of items but it isn't really ideal when up against set up sweepers that are immune to EQ.SpD Talonflame,CM/RP Landorus-I and Gliscor itself, when up against these mons,Facade comes in handier than Knock off so yeah,Facade isn't bad on SD Gliscor at all.

*sigh* just what is up with you people bringing up random mons in the viability rankings

Don't use this:

Why it's bad:

Tauros may seem appealing to some new players due to Sheer Force and a solid 110 speed, however, it's outclassed as a Normal-type physical attacker. For one thing, it is forced to hold either Life Orb or Band just to scratch some of the premier threats in OU. Also it's very weak to priority which renders its speed moot, and 110 speed still can't outspeed some top threats like Mega Lopunny. It's also walled to Mars and back by physical walls like Ferrothorn and Gliscor.

Use one of these:

Why they're good:

If a Normal-type physical attacker is what you're looking for, then these mons are the better options to use. Diggersby is a good choice due to Huge Power and STAB Earthquake. Sure, its BST seems low at first glance, but Huge Power essentially gives it an Attack larger than Groudon, and its Ground typing adds a handy Thunder Wave immunity as well. It can also run Swords Dance to set up for a late-game sweep or just to punch a hole on something. It also has its own priority in Quick Attack to pluck off weakened threats. You can also run Fire Punch or Knock Off to throw Skarmory, Gengar, and Ferrothorn off-guard. Staraptor has Reckless with Double-Edge, Brave Bird, and Close Combat for Ferrothorn and Rock-types. Finally, Mega Lopunny has perfect coverage with its STABs alone due to Scrappy and can afford to run Power-Up Punch to pressure many of OU's bulky threats.

Last edited:
That's the point, Diggersby/Staraptor/MLopunny do not really need to be mixed to go past these guys, Diggersby can opt to run Fire Punch, Staraptor can take down Skarmory with Final Gambit, and CB Brave Bird isn't really weak against Scizor and Ferrothorn, while mega Lopunny can either baton pass to something that can fight these three steels, or simply just go PUP to have better chances against defensive minded teams.

Speaking of shitmons people try to pull:

Don't use this:

Why it's bad: People use Chatot for its Chatter and Boomburst spam, the former being guaranteed confusion and the latter for its massive BP. However, Chatot fails to have a good niche in OU. Base 92 special attack and base 91 speed just aren't going to do enough damage. Its atrocious bulk doesn't do it any favors either; it pretty much has to run a Focus Sash to live a hit, limiting its offensive potential, and even that doesn't work half the time thanks to Stealth Rock being everywhere. ORAS made it marginally better by making Heat Wave+Boomburst legal, but it still sucks.

Instead, use this:

Why it's better: Mega Pidgeot is much better as a Flying type special attacker. Sure, it has a lot of similar problems as Chatot, namely, relative frailty, poor coverage, rocks weakness, etc., plus the opportunity cost of being a mega. However, Pidgeot can actually hit stuff with its perfectly accurate Hurricane, thanks to having a usable special attack stat. Furthermore, it also is substantially faster, and can use U-turn to gain momentum if needed.

I'll be honest here: Mega Pidgeot is not the best thing to run in OU. But it's still miles ahead of Chatot. Also, I'm not mentioning Tornadus-T here; although he's a better mon still, he doesn't quite play the same role.

Speaking of shitmons people try to pull:

Don't use this:

Why it's bad: People use Chatot for its Chatter and Boomburst spam, the former being guaranteed confusion and the latter for its massive BP. However, Chatot fails to have a good niche in OU. Base 92 special attack and base 91 speed just aren't going to do enough damage. Its atrocious bulk doesn't do it any favors either; it pretty much has to run a Focus Sash to live a hit, limiting its offensive potential, and even that doesn't work half the time thanks to Stealth Rock being everywhere. ORAS made it marginally better by making Heat Wave+Boomburst legal, but it still sucks.

Instead, use this:

Why it's better: Mega Pidgeot is much better as a Flying type special attacker. Sure, it has a lot of similar problems as Chatot, namely, relative frailty, poor coverage, rocks weakness, etc., plus the opportunity cost of being a mega. However, Pidgeot can actually hit stuff with its perfectly accurate Hurricane, thanks to having a usable special attack stat. Furthermore, it also is substantially faster, and can use U-turn to gain momentum if needed.

I'll be honest here: Mega Pidgeot is not the best thing to run in OU. But it's still miles ahead of Chatot. Also, I'm not mentioning Tornadus-T here; although he's a better mon still, he doesn't quite play the same role.
It might also be worth mentioning exploud, as it pulls off the niche chatot try's to do in boom burst. And it pulls it off much better thanks to scrappy, a higher special attack start, decentish bulk, and a massive pool of coverage options, which makes it an infinetly better pick Than chatot

It might also be worth mentioning exploud, as it pulls off the niche chatot try's to do in boom burst. And it pulls it off much better thanks to scrappy, a higher special attack start, decentish bulk, and a massive pool of coverage options, which makes it an infinetly better pick Than chatot
Points on the whole make sense, though I should correct that Exploud does not actually hit harder than Chatot (90 vs 91 SpA respectively). That said, the coverage and actual bulk are noteworthy, and the lack of SR weakness is huge since Exploud tends to run Specs.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After the Facade Gliscor fiasco, I'm here to redeem myself.

Don't use this:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Why it's bad: I have often seen Ice Punch used on Dragonite, but it is not a good option. Why? Because it hits literally one relevant target: Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Landorus-I is already one-shotted by Outrage, physically defensive Gliscor is 2HKOed by Outrage, and Dragonite has a high chance to 2HKO defensive Lando-T with Outrage when SR is up. Heck, Scarf Lando-T needs 2 Stone Edge hits to knock out Dragonite, while Outrage still does a sizeable chunk of damage to it. Moreover, the slot that Ice Punch normally fills is better taken by a different coverage move that handles bigger threats to Dragonite.

Instead, use this:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Why it's better: Instead of acting as a lure to a single Pokemon, Dragonite can now take on the Ground-neutral Steel-types that would wall it otherwise. Relevant targets include (Mega) Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn. Outrage is just fine against everything that Ice Punch hits, but Fire Punch gives Dragonite a much easier time beating its checks and counters.

Saw this today and it made me sad ;_;
Bruh.PNG

Dont use that

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Why its bad
AV slowbro is not bad by any means, its just a huge waste of Slowbro's potential and is outclassed by other Assualt vest users. Slowbro is a Physical wall, and putting an assault vest on it does not help it at all, it actually leaves it at a disadvantage as Slowbro Really appreciates utility moves such as T-wave, Toxic, Slack off or calm mind, and running AV leaves you unable to do this, sacrificing Slowbro's walling capabilities and decreasing the passive recovery that leftovers brings, as well as forcing you to run SpA investment to no just sit there and do nothing.

Use this instead

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Future Sight / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Power Gem

Why its Better
Slowking is a much, much better assault vest user than slowbro, although yes, running assault vest on slowbro allows you to beat GK M-Meta, Slowking does this as well, as well as walling a ton of other shit thanks to its greater special bulk such as Zard-Y, Lando-I, Specs HP Electric Keldeo, Mega Gardevoir, The Lati Twins, +6 energy ball manaphy, M-Alakazam, and a ton of other stuff. Slowking is also just as much a good M-Meta check as Slowbro is, easily taking any two hits and hitting back hard, or pivoting back into another team member.

Or use this

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast / Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Slack Off

Why its better
If you want to use Slowbro for its Physical walling capabilities, use this set instead. Slowbro greatly appreciates the ability to run utility moves such as thunder wave, toxic and slack off, and the extra physical bulk granted thatnks to max investment + leftovers is what Slowbro needs to take on the stuff its suppsed to such as Lando-T, Excadrill, Fightng types, Garchomp, M-Lopunny, Zard-X, Azumarill and DD m-altaria, as well as much more stuff.

Just wondering, but has Sash Lead Terrakion really fallen that far off the map? It just seems weird seeing any Terrakion set being 'what not to use' considering its actually viable unlike the things that really are what you shouldn't use. ._.

Just wondering, but has Sash Lead Terrakion really fallen that far off the map? It just seems weird seeing any Terrakion set being 'what not to use' considering its actually viable unlike the things that really are what you shouldn't use. ._.
Just the introduction of M-Metagross and M-Diancie has reduced its usage considerably.Still a good mon though

Gimmick

Electric potential
Don't use this:

Manectric @ ManectriciteAbility: Lightining Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flametrower
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
Why it's bad:

I see a lot of people use Flametrower, becuase it can be used many times without SpA Drop. but you lose many important OHKOs. An Examples is Ferrothorn, you have only a 25% to OHKO it, at the Time Ferro Sets Hazards like Stealth rocks or Spikes other examples are: Magnezone, Assault vest Bisharp and Excadrill of you can OHKO Manectric with Earthquake. but Magnezone isn't very dangerous for Manectric but it can already do some damage.

Instead, use this:

Manectric @ Manectricite
Ability: Lightining Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Init
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

Why It is better:

Overheat has a Power of 130! So it can OHKO all Steel Types in OU after Stealth Rock Damage, except Heatran. Other like Metagross have a little chance to survive the Attack.
// As a very, very heavy user of Manectric-Mega (like, 90% of all my teams heavy) I can easily say that this post isn't entirely true. From first glance, Overheat seems like the far better choice because Manectric doesn't get Fire STAB and OHKOing Ferrothorn/Offensive Excadrill seems great. In reality though, Flamethrower vs Overheat depends entirely on the rest of your team and how well it handles opposing matchups (stall, HO, balance, etc). Overheat MegaMan tends to perform much better vs more offensively oriented teams because it usually will get a kill and then Volt Switch (or hard switch) out. Making sure the kill actually kills is pretty important because switching into offense can be difficult. However, vs balance, Flamethrower tends to be the move I wish I had. Balance teams tend to have the ability to play around Manectric simply due to its SAtk drop after Overheat. They can switch around and feel completely non-threatened from its Volt Switches after the drop. Obviously, this explanation is fairly vague, but Pokemon is extremely variable - there's no solid choice of one over the other. In many of my teams, I tend to pair Manectric with a NastyPass Celebi because it can potentially sweep entire teams with its perfect coverage. Although a specific case, Flamethrower over Overheat is obviously the more viable option if that's the win condition of the team.

// On another note, this thread seems to be getting derailed again. The Manectric post, Gliscor post, and now Dragonite post all have the exact same 2 Pokemon with different moves. The thing with movesets, though, is that they're entirely team-specific. I actually advocated once for a CB Ice Punch Dragonite because someone was using a team based on a Sub PuP Mega-Lopunny (without Ice Punch ofc). Dragonite tends to attact Scarf Lando-T very well, and Ice Punch is a solid OHKO.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 392-464 (122.8 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 234-276 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(Not sure why the calculator defaulted to 24 Def so I just left it)

Ice Punch Dragonite simply acts as a lure for Landorus-T to support its physically attacking teammates. Outrage does a great chunk, but not enough to OHKO after Rocks and becomes vulnerable to free Fairy switch-ins. I wouldn't suggest Ice Punch for all Dragonites, obviously, but if it does a good job of supporting the team, then by all means get creative and lure that shit in. And as for the lack of hitting Steels, that's easily fixed by adding Superpower over Earthquake or Fire Punch. It hits both Ferrothorn, Heatran, and general steels in just 1 move, so you still have well rounded coverage with a lure.

// @ AV Slowbro vs AV Slowking

I actually really like this one, but I think you went about it wrong. Rather than say that Slowbro is meant to be a physical wall, it'd be better to say that AV Slowking fills the role as better specially defensive tank. As in, if your team is really weak to hard-hitting special attacks, it's probably a better idea to use AV Slowking over AV Slowbro. I wanted to say more, but my bias of Slowking is keeping me from giving non-opinionated arguments, so I think I'll stop there lmao. I love Slowking. I'm not a heavy user of Slowbro, so I probably shouldn't have commented on this one at all my bad.

// So I think a good way to go about this thread is to literally and directly state the role of the Pokemon and then explain why one fills that role better than the other. Something like:

Don't use Sunflora, use Venusaur!
Role: Sun Sweeper.
Here's why! Sunflora sucks because it's slow and weak and Venusaur doesn't suck because yes.

Obviously not that mundane and simplistic, but the "Role: ______" gives a better idea of what the comparison is going for.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Idk about you but when I ever use Terrakion as a lead these days I'll just run it like SD Lum Chomp with Close Combat, Stone Edge, SD, SR.

Hydreigon's Item usage stats are so messed up. | Choice Scarf 51.821% | | Life Orb 32.384% | | Choice Specs 14.781% | | Other 1.015% |

Don't Use this:

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Why it's bad:

I totally see the appeal in this as Scarf hydreigon seems appealing to patch up it's shanty speed but in reality scarfed hydreigon is bad. The main reason it's bad is that all of hydreigon's moves listed are awful to be locked into bar u-turn. Also It misses out on hydreigon's good mixed attacking prowess with a life orb and coverage which is probably the most appealing thing about hydreigon. Finally this set relies heavily on prediction because it's locked into one move.

Instead Use this:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power/Superpower

Why it's better:

This set is miles better since it can utilize hydreigon's fantastic coverage to the fullest and it destroys common balance cores which is hydreigon's biggest selling point. Also It's not as prediction reliant since anything that switches in is 2hkod by a life orb boosted coverage move which the scarf set cannot boast. Finally this makes as mentioned before this set makes hydreigon a good wall breaker to balance which is where it's biggest niche in OU lies at.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon's Item usage stats are so messed up. | Choice Scarf 51.821% | | Life Orb 32.384% | | Choice Specs 14.781% | | Other 1.015% |

Don't Use this:

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Why it's bad:

I totally see the appeal in this as Scarf hydreigon seems appealing to patch up it's shanty speed but in reality scarfed hydreigon is bad. The main reason it's bad is that all of hydreigon's moves listed are awful to be locked into bar u-turn. Also It misses out on hydreigon's good mixed attacking prowess with a life orb and coverage which is probably the most appealing thing about hydreigon. Finally this set relies heavily on prediction because it's locked into one move.

Instead Use this:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power/Superpower

Why it's better:

This set is miles better since it can utilize hydreigon's fantastic coverage to the fullest and it destroys common balance cores which is hydreigon's biggest selling point. Also It's not as prediction reliant since anything that switches in is 2hkod by a life orb boosted coverage move which the scarf set cannot boast. Finally this makes as mentioned before this set makes hydreigon a good wall breaker to balance which is where it's biggest niche in OU lies at.
No. No. Choice Scarf Hydreigon, while it is inferior to Life Orb, is not something you should not use.
It is a perfectly fine set, as it revenge kills various offensive threats such as mega metagross, mega lopunny, non scarf latios, gengar, victini, etc.
I can understand calling AV slowbro bad, but you have to be out of your mind to call scarf hydreigon a bad set.

*sigh* just what is up with you people bringing up random mons in the viability rankings

Don't use this:

Why it's bad:

Tauros may seem appealing to some new players due to Sheer Force and a solid 110 speed, however, it's outclassed as a Normal-type physical attacker. For one thing, it is forced to hold either Life Orb or Band just to scratch some of the premier threats in OU. Also it's very weak to priority which renders its speed moot, and 110 speed still can't outspeed some top threats like Mega Lopunny. It's also walled to Mars and back by physical walls like Ferrothorn and Gliscor.

Use one of these:

Why they're good:

If a Normal-type physical attacker is what you're looking for, then these mons are the better options to use. Diggersby is a good choice due to Huge Power and STAB Earthquake. Sure, its BST seems low at first glance, but Huge Power essentially gives it an Attack larger than Groudon, and its Ground typing adds a handy Thunder Wave immunity as well. It can also run Swords Dance to set up for a late-game sweep or just to punch a hole on something. It also has its own priority in Quick Attack to pluck off weakened threats. You can also run Fire Punch or Knock Off to throw Skarmory, Gengar, and Ferrothorn off-guard. Staraptor has Reckless with Double-Edge, Brave Bird, and Close Combat for Ferrothorn and Rock-types. Finally, Mega Lopunny has perfect coverage with its STABs alone due to Scrappy and can afford to run Power-Up Punch to pressure many of OU's bulky threats.
Not to be picky but tauros does have a very small niche of being able to use special attacks witch does require some support

40 SpA tho. What kind of niche is it that makes you do pitiful damage when you could just use something else.

or is this a joke
I'm not saying Tauros is good, but with Fire Blast's high base power + LO + Sheer Force it's not that weak.

For comparison:

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 203-244 (57.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 184-220 (52.2 - 62.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 317-374 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 288-340 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 316-372 (92.1 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
I'm not saying Tauros is good, but with Fire Blast's high base power + LO + Sheer Force it's not that weak.

For comparison:

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 203-244 (57.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 184-220 (52.2 - 62.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 317-374 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 288-340 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 316-372 (92.1 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Mentioning power...
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 338-400 (96 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor: 343-406 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)