VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wins the game when perish trap takes out everyone on the field at the end of the game? Is it the player with the slowest Pokemon?

Who wins the game when perish trap takes out everyone on the field at the end of the game? Is it the player with the slowest Pokemon?
The player who used perish trap wins. The same goes for when a pokemon kills another mon, but then dies to life orb recoil; the pokemon who used the attack wins.

The player who used perish trap wins. The same goes for when a pokemon kills another mon, but then dies to life orb recoil; the pokemon who used the attack wins.
Actually, that's not true.

Directly quoted from the rules:

• "If both players’ final Pokémon faint due to a weather condition, such as Hail or Sandstorm, the player whose Pokémon faints last wins the game. This includes the effects of Perish Song."

EDIT: Realized lucariojr got to this as I was typing it. Sorry about that!

Like lucariojr said, the last to faint wins. Pokemon are KO'd order of Speed; the fastest die first, and slowest dies last; I believe Trick Room is ignored. Same as Sand/Hai damage, Sea of Fire, Burn/Poison, and Sticky Barb/Black Sludge damage. Meaning, the cunt using Mega Gengar usually loses if it has no allies to switch with. So, if you have something slower than the remaining opponents, you win.

Like lucariojr said, the last to faint wins. Pokemon are KO'd order of Speed; the fastest die first, and slowest dies last; I believe Trick Room is ignored. Same as Sand/Hai damage, Sea of Fire, Burn/Poison, and Sticky Barb/Black Sludge damage. Meaning, the cunt using Mega Gengar usually loses if it has no allies to switch with. So, if you have something slower than the remaining opponents, you win.
Oh I'm sorry for misleading people! It just so happens that whenever I play against Perish Song, my pokemon happen to be faster than my opponents and I assumed that the user always wins.

What's the major difference in Mega Salamence's power level between this meta and Smogon Doubles? It was banned in the latter, so I'd expect it to be top-tier here, but it's worse than Mega Kangaskhan, which is legal, albeit top-tier cancer, in Doubles.

What's the major difference in Mega Salamence's power level between this meta and Smogon Doubles? It was banned in the latter, so I'd expect it to be top-tier here, but it's worse than Mega Kangaskhan, which is legal, albeit top-tier cancer, in Doubles.
In terms of usage, it's right behind kang and charizard y. It's definitely in the top tier of megas with those two and metagross.

During suspect testing a lot of people complained about mega salamence paired with jirachi. Jirachi gives salamence perfect follow me support. It's resistant to everything salanence is weak to. It maked it easy for it to get up a free dragon dance or sub.

I guess this is more of a complex question...but without getting too in depth..I'm working on a mega Metagross team and haven't really gotten to test it against rain teams but apparently mega swampert tends to cause an issue for gross?

My question is, with an absence of any other grass moves, is it worth running hp grass on zapdos over hp ice specifically for pert, or does that kinda screw zapdos's coverage?

Or, is grass knot a viable option on metagross in this format to surprise it?

Hidden Power Grass Zapdos is massively team specific and not necessarily even then the best option. As for Grass Knot Metagross, you should probably stay fully physical with Iron Head / Zen Headbutt / Substitute / Protect. A Grass-type, Ludicolo for instance has decent synergy with both Mega Metagross and Zapdos as well as being a dead counter for Mega Swampert. I would consider a Grass-type pokemon before Grass coverage on either Zapdos or Metagross.

I guess this is more of a complex question...but without getting too in depth..I'm working on a mega Metagross team and haven't really gotten to test it against rain teams but apparently mega swampert tends to cause an issue for gross?

My question is, with an absence of any other grass moves, is it worth running hp grass on zapdos over hp ice specifically for pert, or does that kinda screw zapdos's coverage?

I agree with Chenkovsky. Ludicolo has been awesome on all the Mega Metagross teams I've used. It hard counters rain, gives you Fake Out support so you can setup Substitute, Tailwind, etc. in peace and threatens a lot of Pokémon that threaten Mega Metagross. It also helps with spreading Thunder Waves in case you use a Thundurus-I, though why would you if you have a Zapdos...

Most of my Mega Metagross teams look somewhat like this:

Mega Metagross + Hydreigon + Landorus-T + Thundurus-I + Ludicolo + wild card (most of the time a fire- or fighting-type Pokémon like Heatran, Talonflame, Rotom-H, Terrakion or Conkeldurr)

Amoonguss is also an option because it helps with the rain and Trick Room matchups.

Last edited:
Hidden Power Grass Zapdos is massively team specific and not necessarily even then the best option. As for Grass Knot Metagross, you should probably stay fully physical with Iron Head / Zen Headbutt / Substitute / Protect. A Grass-type, Ludicolo for instance has decent synergy with both Mega Metagross and Zapdos as well as being a dead counter for Mega Swampert. I would consider a Grass-type pokemon before Grass coverage on either Zapdos or Metagross.
I agree with Chenkovsky. Ludicolo has been awesome on all the Mega Metagross teams I've used. It hard counters rain, gives you Fake Out support so you can setup Substitute, Tailwind, etc. in peace and threatens a lot of Pokémon that threaten Mega Metagross. It also helps with spreading Thunder Waves in case you use a Thundurus-I, though why would you if you have a Zapdos...

Most of my Mega Metagross teams look somewhat like this:

Mega Metagross + Hydreigon + Landorus-T + Thundurus-I + Ludicolo + wild card (most of the time a fire- or fighting-type Pokémon like Heatran, Talonflame, Rotom-H, Terrakion or Conkeldurr)

Amoonguss is also an option because it helps with the rain and Trick Room matchups.
My plan so far is mega meta/hydra/swampert/zapdos/fairy (either sylveon for immediate power or clefairy fo friend guard/redirection)/ and ideally a fighting type but I'm kind of at a crossroads as to the sixth spot..ludicolo seems a good fit but do you think I should go more defensive or modest?

edit: looking at it like that I really need to fit a fighting type in there...

My plan so far is mega meta/hydra/swampert/zapdos/fairy (either sylveon for immediate power or clefairy fo friend guard/redirection)/ and ideally a fighting type but I'm kind of at a crossroads as to the sixth spot..ludicolo seems a good fit but do you think I should go more defensive or modest?

edit: looking at it like that I really need to fit a fighting type in there...
Modest + Assault Vest is the most effective Ludicolo to shut down opposing rain cores in my opinion. Just watch out for Talonflame, which is common on rain teams.

EDIT: You might also rethink your Charizard-Y matchup, since I don't see any Rock Slide user's on your team. Terrakion would be a good idea as a Fighting-type to beat Heatran, Talonflame and Charizard-Y.

Last edited:

0- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 176-208 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 110-132 (70.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I've seen a few Swampert - none were Mega. Threat to MegaGross? Yes, absolutely. But it's actually more of a threat when non-Mega.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Swampert Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 139-168 (89.1 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

MetaBoss + Hydreigon + Swampy + Zapdos is your established 4 so far: Hydreigon really doesn't care about (mega) Swampert as much as Swampert cares about being walled and eating that DM. You have a Swampert, so I'm assuming Wide Guard here, and that right there eliminates EQ as a threat. MegaSwampy/rain in general is rare in VGC (at least, as far as I've experienced) so going to lengths to stop MegaSwampy is not something I'd suggest. Grass Knot is only good against Suicune and Swampert. Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt/Substitute offer a much wider range of ass kicking.

Ludicolo, as mentioned, works against Rain pretty well, as do Amoonguss, Rotom-C (the lawnmower one...), Rotom-W, Virizion, or even a double mega core of Metagross+Venusaur. Oh, and Ferrothorn. You already have an Electric mon so I'm not bothering to mention those. Or hell, Water Absorb Freeze-Dry Lapras GO

0- SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 176-208 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 110-132 (70.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I've seen a few Swampert - none were Mega. Threat to MegaGross? Yes, absolutely. But it's actually more of a threat when non-Mega.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Swampert Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 139-168 (89.1 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

MetaBoss + Hydreigon + Swampy + Zapdos is your established 4 so far: Hydreigon really doesn't care about (mega) Swampert as much as Swampert cares about being walled and eating that DM. You have a Swampert, so I'm assuming Wide Guard here, and that right there eliminates EQ as a threat. MegaSwampy/rain in general is rare in VGC (at least, as far as I've experienced) so going to lengths to stop MegaSwampy is not something I'd suggest. Grass Knot is only good against Suicune and Swampert. Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt/Substitute offer a much wider range of ass kicking.

Ludicolo, as mentioned, works against Rain pretty well, as do Amoonguss, Rotom-C (the lawnmower one...), Rotom-W, Virizion, or even a double mega core of Metagross+Venusaur. Oh, and Ferrothorn. You already have an Electric mon so I'm not bothering to mention those. Or hell, Water Absorb Freeze-Dry Lapras GO
I actually run a bulky gross as well (lifted a set from vgc with hats)...but..I don't have anything to really threaten Kang so now I'm thinking mega meta/hydra/terrak/zapdos/sylveon/amoongus

I don't wanna keep spamming here but if anyone wants to help me theorymon this stuff pm me..PLEASE!

Please excuse my post, I am fairly new to the VGC metagame and very interested in it. I have a question about a pokes tier placement. I didn't post in the viability thread because I felt this would be a more proper place to post this question. Anyway, I saw Ludicolo being in the A tier for viability. Could someone explain to me his niche in the VGC meta?

Please excuse my post, I am fairly new to the VGC metagame and very interested in it. I have a question about a pokes tier placement. I didn't post in the viability thread because I felt this would be a more proper place to post this question. Anyway, I saw Ludicolo being in the A tier for viability. Could someone explain to me his niche in the VGC meta?
Ludicolo is a fantastic rain sweeper(and as such a check/counter to a lot of rain abusers). The av set also makes a great special tank. In addition to this he adds fake out support

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ludicolo works as a special attacker on rain teams with its ability: Swift Swim. Compared to other SS mons, Ludicolo has good defensive typing, passable bulk, and a much larger and better movepool than say Kingdra. One of its biggest selling points is Fake Out, which is just a useful move in general. It's also one of the only Swift Swimmers that can still provide some utility outside of rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)