EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Blaze (Speed Boost)
Protect
Flare Blitz
High Jump Kick
Swords Dance

Is this team any good?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions/improvements?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Multi Scale
Dragon Dance
Roost
Extreme Speed
Dragon Claw

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Fake Out
Ice Punch
Knock Off
Ice Shard

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Blaze (Speed Boost)
Protect
Flare Blitz
High Jump Kick
Swords Dance

Is this team any good?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions/improvements?
I understand the appeal of Weakness Policy Dragonite but a Lum Berry is the better item over the long run, because between Multiscale and Lum Berry you're pretty much guaranteed a Dragon Dance 95% of the time. Roost is OK but Earthquake would probably be more valuable for the coverage against Steel types so you don't have to switch out and waste your boosts. Outrage is also probably better than Dragon Claw since you'll more often than not be attacking at +1 instead of +2 or +3 and Dragon Claw will lack power at that level. Outrage also works well with the Lum Berry since if you don't take a status move before Outrage ends it will heal the confusion. Overall, standard DNite > bulky WP Nite...

Weavile seems like an odd choice, I'm assuming he's there to revenge kill the Dragon Types that trouble Dragonite? You'll need to wait until Dragonite has been KOd to bring him in since he's frail as anything and taking an attack will break his Focus Sash. It's probably worth checking the speed tiers list, but I'm pretty sure Jolly is better than Adamant (not totally sure I'm just guessing)

I'm assuming Blaziken is for the Ice Types that wreck DNite? I would go Adamant for sure since Speed Boost makes Jolly pretty redundant. High Jump Kick is a pretty poor choice for the Maison, since one "haxy" miss will make you lose 50% of your HP. Low Kick is really your only reliable fighting option, and is pretty good apart from it hitting lighter foes for pitiful damage.

I think Weavile could be swapped out for something bulkier and/or a Steel Type so you can actually make some switches, or a Special Attacker so you aren't running three Physical Attackers. Dragonite pairs really well with Aegislash, you could use the Maison Standard physical set with Leftovers, or the classic Crumbler set which is Special with Weakness Policy. Scizor is another good teammate... Lucario could also be used although he is quite frail and slow in regular forme

Hm.
Thanks for your opinion ~
I really like Dragonite so I'm trying to work around it.

I might test this -

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: Should I have 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed OR 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP?
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Extreme Speed

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: I have no clue (Attacking or Defensive?)
Nature: IDK either (Maybe depends on the EVs)
Ability: Stance Change
He really likes physical attacks .-.
Shadow Ball
King Shield
Flash Cannon
Maybe Shadow Sneak for low health that I won't go first on..

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Blaze
Protect
Flare Blitz
Low Kick maybe?
Swords Dance
Is Brave Bird useful BTW?

I really need to think about Aegislash.. Not too good with stats fully yet..

It's getting a little late so I had to rush this post
I'll do quite a bit of thinking tomorrow ~

Alright, for Super Singles I've recently figured out a strategy that works literally 99,99% of the time. The flaws in this strat are minimal. It already brought me up to 500 wins, and I'm definitely aiming for 1000+ with it. Here's the battle video:

EAZW-WWWW-WWXQ-7GZS

The Team

Durant @ Focus Sash/Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Entrainment (other moves aren't necessarily needed)
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

Blaziken @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Doesn't matter (mine's Jolly)
EVs: Don't matter (mine are 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Hone Claws/Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Cloyster @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Strat explanatory

It's similar to some other strats I've seen on this thread. The strat basically revolves completely around Durant's Truant ability and using Entrainment to pass it onto the opponent. Just watch the battle video, it is pretty much self explanatory. If you're too lazy to download, or just don't have a DS/game, it works as follows:

Durant uses Entrainment on the opponent. Durant will pass its Truant ability onto the opponent, and that's basically Durant's one and only duty. This done, the battle is already decided in your favor in 99,99% of the cases. Your item can be Choice Scarf, just to be sure you outspeed the opponent. I personally am experienced with the good amount of hax that can occur (Quick Claw), hence I go for Focus Sash. This will allow me to get the Entrainment off.

After using Entrainment you immediately switch into Blaziken. Blaziken uses Protect whenever the opponent gets to attack, and uses stat upping moves whenever the opponent is loafing around every other turn. This will allow you to get a sub up, get +6 Attack, +6 Speed, and +6(?) Accuracy. The Speed Boost ability is mandatory here, as you get a free +1 Speed from it after every turn. Leftovers come in really nice, because if you start with putting up your sub, your HP recovers gradually during Protecting/setting up. I first started off with Swords Dance in this set, but I later figured Hone Claws is way safer, as it allows you to let Cloyster use its Rock Blasts/Razor Shells without missing when you Baton Pass into it. Only downside to it is that it significantly stretches out the battle.

Here Cloyster comes in as a motherfucking beast on steroids. You send him out when your opponent is about to loaf around. This Life Orbed/Choice Banded kid now has +6 Attack, +6 Speed, and +6 Accuracy. The reasoning behind Adamant over Jolly is that you're +6 Speed anyways, so you naturally outspeed any mon. You're basically set to sweep. It can basically OHKO anything except for a few encounters. The reason I'm opting to go for Choice Band is that nothing is immune to Ice. A +6 Choice Banded Adamant Cloyster will OHKO almost anything. And if it doesn't, you have the sub that protects you as well. I'm still hesitating between Life Orb and Choice Band though. I think I'm gonna go with Life Orb, since Choice Band locks you into one move. And since the Battle Maison is the temple of hax, I'd rather avoid 3 critting priority moves by being able to use Protect.

Potential survivors (calcs)

These are calculated with the opponent having a Defense upping nature.

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 130-155 (68 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klinklang: 195-230 (116.7 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 195-230 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 190-220 (96.4 - 111.6%) -- approx. 68.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 190-225 (104.3 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 195-235 (107.7 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 160-188 (95.8 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 220-260 (106.2 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Registeel: 160-188 (85.5 - 100.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 177-211 (89.3 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 177-211 (94.6 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 192-227 (110.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Note that some of these could've been possible 2HKO's instead of OHKO's if Cloyster had a Jolly nature.

Flaws

Priority
As I mentioned earlier, opponents with priority moves might by a slight chance throw Cloyster off. Think Prankster T-Wave. Hasn't happened to me yet though.

Quick Claw
If you manage to run into an opponent with Quick Claw you cannot OHKO and that can do serious damage to Cloyster, and the Quick Claw triggers twice in a row, you might lose. The chances of this happening are almost zero, but you know how they roll in the Battle Maison (right, Walrein?)

Protect/Flinches
If you manage to run into a Protect user on turn 1, and you use Entrainment, you're pretty much screwed as you're now loafing around yourself next turn. Not much you can do, unless you have the luck your opponent cannot kill you. Same goes for moves like Fake Out. You might want to opt running Protect on Durant to predict the Fake Out, but then you have to be lucky to outspeed your opponent and not get 2HKO'd. The flinch issue also goes for Cloyster. Perhaps you run into some Fake Out + priority move users that are super effective and crit or whatever. Anything can happen in the Battle Maison.

Moves that ignore sub
Combined with hax such as critical hits, this might be devastating.

Ganlon Berry
Ganlon Berry holders take less damage from physical attacks. The rest is self explanatory.

Feel free to leave any feedback and suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. I'll post an update when I reach 1000+ or lose in the process.

:mad:

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm.
Thanks for your opinion ~
I really like Dragonite so I'm trying to work around it.

I might test this -

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: Should I have 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed OR 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP?
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Extreme Speed

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: I have no clue (Attacking or Defensive?)
Nature: IDK either (Maybe depends on the EVs)
Ability: Stance Change
He really likes physical attacks .-.
Shadow Ball
King Shield
Flash Cannon
Maybe Shadow Sneak for low health that I won't go first on..

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Blaze
Protect
Flare Blitz
Low Kick maybe?
Swords Dance
Is Brave Bird useful BTW?

I really need to think about Aegislash.. Not too good with stats fully yet..

It's getting a little late so I had to rush this post
I'll do quite a bit of thinking tomorrow ~
I would use the 252 Attack + Speed spread for Dragonite, since you'll be trying to sweep at +1 speed (or even unboosted) so you'll really need the speed investment. Aegislash should be Quiet with ideally a 0 Speed IV. If you can't be bothered breeding for a 31/31/31/31/31/0 Aegislash (understandable) then I would settle for one of the defensive stats to be the imperfect one, but make sure it's at least 25+. Pump the EVs into HP and SpA (the rest into Atk). Blaziken is fine, don't bother with Brave Bird though, you don't want to receive recoil from both your moves!

Alright, for Super Singles I've recently figured out a strategy that works literally 99,99% of the time. The flaws in this strat are minimal. It already brought me up to 500 wins, and I'm definitely aiming for 1000+ with it. Here's the battle video:

EAZW-WWWW-WWXQ-7GZS

The Team

- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

Blaziken @ Leftovers
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

- Protect
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Strat explanatory

It's similar to some other strats I've seen on this thread. The strat basically revolves completely around Durant's Truant ability and using Entrainment to pass it onto the opponent. Just watch the battle video, it is pretty much self explanatory. If you're too lazy to download, or just don't have a DS/game, it works as follows:

Durant uses Entrainment on the opponent. Durant will pass its Truant ability onto the opponent, and that's basically Durant's one and only duty. This done, the battle is already decided in your favor in 99,99% of the cases. Your item can be Choice Scarf, just to be sure you outspeed the opponent. I personally am experienced with the good amount of hax that can occur (Quick Claw), hence I go for Focus Sash. This will allow me to get the Entrainment off.

After using Entrainment you immediately switch into Blaziken. Blaziken uses Protect whenever the opponent gets to attack, and uses stat upping moves whenever the opponent is loafing around every other turn. This will allow you to get a sub up, get +6 Attack, +6 Speed, and +6(?) Accuracy. The Speed Boost ability is mandatory here, as you get a free +1 Speed from it after every turn. Leftovers come in really nice, because if you start with putting up your sub, your HP recovers gradually during Protecting/setting up. I first started off with Swords Dance in this set, but I later figured Hone Claws is way safer, as it allows you to let Cloyster use its Rock Blasts/Razor Shells without missing when you Baton Pass into it. Only downside to it is that it significantly stretches out the battle.

Here Cloyster comes in as a motherfucking beast on steroids. You send him out when your opponent is about to loaf around. This Life Orbed/Choice Banded kid now has +6 Attack, +6 Speed, and +6 Accuracy. The reasoning behind Adamant over Jolly is that you're +6 Speed anyways, so you naturally outspeed any mon. You're basically set to sweep. It can basically OHKO anything except for a few encounters. The reason I'm opting to go for Choice Band is that nothing is immune to Ice. A +6 Choice Banded Adamant Cloyster will OHKO almost anything. And if it doesn't, you have the sub that protects you as well. I'm still hesitating between Life Orb and Choice Band though. I think I'm gonna go with Life Orb, since Choice Band locks you into one move. And since the Battle Maison is the temple of hax, I'd rather avoid 3 critting priority moves by being able to use Protect.

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 130-155 (68 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klinklang: 195-230 (116.7 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 195-230 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 190-220 (96.4 - 111.6%) -- approx. 68.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 190-225 (104.3 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 195-235 (107.7 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 160-188 (95.8 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 220-260 (106.2 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Registeel: 160-188 (85.5 - 100.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 177-211 (89.3 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 177-211 (94.6 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 192-227 (110.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Note that some of these could've been possible 2HKO's instead of OHKO's if Cloyster had a Jolly nature.

Flaws

Priority
As I mentioned earlier, opponents with priority moves might by a slight chance throw Cloyster off. Think Prankster T-Wave. Hasn't happened to me yet though.

Quick Claw
If you manage to run into an opponent with Quick Claw you cannot OHKO and that can do serious damage to Cloyster, and the Quick Claw triggers twice in a row, you might lose. The chances of this happening are almost zero, but you know how they roll in the Battle Maison (right, Walrein?)

Protect/Flinches
If you manage to run into a Protect user on turn 1, and you use Entrainment, you're pretty much screwed as you're now loafing around yourself next turn. Not much you can do, unless you have the luck your opponent cannot kill you. Same goes for moves like Fake Out. You might want to opt running Protect on Durant to predict the Fake Out, but then you have to be lucky to outspeed your opponent and not get 2HKO'd. The flinch issue also goes for Cloyster. Perhaps you run into some Fake Out + priority move users that are super effective and crit or whatever. Anything can happen in the Battle Maison.

Moves that ignore sub

Ganlon Berry
Ganlon Berry holders take less damage from physical attacks. The rest is self explanatory.

Feel free to leave any feedback and suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. I'll post an update when I reach 1000+ or lose in the process.

I wanted to try a team like that too.
I planned my team to consist of:
Durant@choice scarf
Jolly
Truant
Entrainment
Aerial ace
Protect
X scissor
172HP\108def\228spe

Medicham@Leftovers
Adamant
Pure power
Acupressure
Protect
Rockslide
Baton pass
252HP\252atk\4sp.def

Heracross@heracrosinite
Adamant
Guts
Close combat
Pin middle
Rock blast
Substitute(mainly for talonflame)
212hp\252atk\44spe

Pretty much like yours just different users. Though I do believe heracross is superior to cloyster. You should try heracross. Also with heracross's superior atk to cloyster it would take care of pretty much all of your potential survivors. Also tornadus4 and thundurus4 would this screw team up

Last edited:

EAZW-WWWW-WWXQ-7GZS

The Team

- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

Blaziken @ Leftovers
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

- Protect
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Strat explanatory

Flaws

Priority

Quick Claw

Protect/Flinches

Moves that ignore sub

Ganlon Berry

I tried this strategy, & I didn't get too far .-.
Maybe it was just me..

I tried this strategy, & I didn't get too far .-.
Maybe it was just me..
It wasn't just you. That kind of team is even more dependent on Durant getting off Entrainment than others, and it's well-documented how regularly that can be foiled with bad luck - not to mention that a Sash Durant loses to everything a Scarf Durant would lose to (except for a QC Fissure from Donphan) along with losing to secondary effects from faster leads. Starmie and Hawlucha can flinch; Crobat and Electrode can Taunt (Crobat can use Hypnosis too); Zebstrika, Raikou, Raichu, and Jolteon can paralyze; Tornadus can confuse with Hurricane.

In fact, since the post went up, it was edited to say that Cloyster uses Life Orb instead of a Choice Band. Seems like kind of a big change to make after winning 500 battles in a row, don't you think?

Protect/Flinches
Since you made it to 500 and identified this as a threat, that must mean you've faced Protect/Flinch users (as well as fast status users like GG Unit identified). What do you do in those cases and how can you secure a win?

Edit:
Quick Claw
The chances of two Quick Claw triggers in a row are 4% in a row, assuming I've done my math right (I'm not a math person). This is staggeringly high for "the chances of this happening are almost zero" (though to be fair I have not calculated which Quick Claw opponents Cloyster can't OHKO) and seriously stands out to me as something to be legitimately worried about, yet you seem to brush it off like it's not a big deal. Also, would you care to elaborate on the comment about Walrein? I'm a little confused.

Last edited:
It wasn't just you. That kind of team is even more dependent on Durant getting off Entrainment than others, and it's well-documented how regularly that can be foiled with bad luck - not to mention that a Sash Durant loses to everything a Scarf Durant would lose to (except for a QC Fissure from Donphan) along with losing to secondary effects from faster leads. Starmie and Hawlucha can flinch; Crobat and Electrode can Taunt (Crobat can use Hypnosis too); Zebstrika, Raikou, Raichu, and Jolteon can paralyze; Tornadus can confuse with Hurricane.

In fact, since the post went up, it was edited to say that Cloyster uses Life Orb instead of a Choice Band. Seems like kind of a big change to make after winning 500 battles in a row, don't you think?
As I mentioned in my post, I'm leaning towards Life Orb, because of the reasons I mentioned.

Since you made it to 500 and identified this as a threat, that must mean you've faced Protect/Flinch users (as well as fast status users like GG Unit identified). What do you do in those cases and how can you secure a win?
I haven't met Taunt/Hypnosis users yet (maybe I did, but not on turn 1 so they didn't stand a chance), fortunately. GG Unit opened my eyes, as I completely overlooked that. I only ran into Protect/Flinch user twice. Both times I was lucky to survive their hits and eventually use Entrainment afterwards. My heartbeat raised like hell. GG Unit pointed a lot of specific things out that could possibly ruin my streak, though.. Seems like this strat isn't as solid as I thought, haha.. It'll be a matter of time 'till I lose I guess. Let's hope I'll get it a bit higher..

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my post, I'm leaning towards Life Orb, because of the reasons I mentioned.

I haven't met Taunt/Hypnosis users yet (maybe I did, but not on turn 1 so they didn't stand a chance), fortunately. GG Unit opened my eyes, as I completely overlooked that. I only ran into Protect/Flinch user twice. Both times I was lucky to survive their hits and eventually use Entrainment afterwards. My heartbeat raised like hell. GG Unit pointed a lot of specific things out that could possibly ruin my streak, though.. Seems like this strat isn't as solid as I thought, haha.. It'll be a matter of time 'till I lose I guess. Let's hope I'll get it a bit higher..
There are also Pokemon that use Explosion early (i.e. before you've fully set up), Bright Powder/Lax Incense (a Zapdos 2 Charge Beam OHKO's Cloyster, meaning you have a 10% chance of instantly losing whenever it comes out; same with Magnezone 3, Absol 4, and Tangrowth 4, and stuff like Regigigas 1 can confuse you), and your own coverage moves missing that can cause you to lose. EDIT: More like 1% if you manage to pass a Sub, but still less than ideal. I'd be much more worried about leads with Explosion/High Jump Kick, though, who will die really fast, preventing set-up.

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Walrein: 110-130 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's Walrein 4 WITHOUT Thick Fat. Of course, you only have a 81% chance of hitting with Rock Blast (because of Lax Incense + 90% accuracy), which gives you a 5.7% chance of missing and being OHKO'd if you run Life Orb (not counting the chance of more misses on subsequent turns). But that's better than a 30% chance of instantly losing when it comes out due to Choice Band (or, at best, a 51% chance if it has Thick Fat). DO NOT USE CHOICE BAND. Seriously, it's SO bad.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot SubPassing, which makes things a little better. Also, watch out for lead Skarmory 4, who will just keep Whirlwinding you out and wearing you down with hazards.

Last edited:
There are also Pokemon that use Explosion early (i.e. before you've fully set up), Bright Powder/Lax Incense (a Zapdos 2 Charge Beam OHKO's Cloyster, meaning you have a 10% chance of instantly losing whenever it comes out; same with Magnezone 3, Absol 4, and Tangrowth 4, and stuff like Regigigas 1 can confuse you), and your own coverage moves missing that can cause you to lose. EDIT: More like 1% if you manage to pass a Sub, but still less than ideal. I'd be much more worried about leads with Explosion/High Jump Kick, though, who will die really fast, preventing set-up.

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Walrein: 110-130 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's Walrein 4 WITHOUT Thick Fat. Of course, you only have a 81% chance of hitting with Rock Blast (because of Lax Incense + 90% accuracy), which gives you a 5.7% chance of missing and being OHKO'd if you run Life Orb (not counting the chance of more misses on subsequent turns). But that's better than a 30% chance of instantly losing when it comes out due to Choice Band (or, at best, a 51% chance if it has Thick Fat). DO NOT USE CHOICE BAND. Seriously, it's SO bad.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot SubPassing, which makes things a little better. Also, watch out for lead Skarmory 4, who will just keep Whirlwinding you out and wearing you down with hazards.
And by "watch out for lead Skarmory 4," you mean "lead Skarmory 4 is an automatic loss unless you immediately switch to Cloyster and the opponent's other two team members are slower than Cloyster and OHKOed." Lapras and Mismagius are auto losses as well, and Forretress probably is too (best case scenario is an immediate switch to Blaziken, Forretress lets you partially set up before exploding, and then maybe it hasn't set up enough hazards for Cloyster to survive 3 turns before it dies from Life Orb and Toxic Spikes). Combined with all the self-KO leads that will result in, best-case, Cloyster coming in with +3 Speed and one Hone Claws boost, that's an extremely high number of leads to avoid for hundreds of battles.

Here's an old battle against a Forretress lead: KT5W-WWWW-WWXQ-DA8N. Assuming Forry allows Blaziken to set up without using Explosion, Life Orb Cloyster needs to be at +4 Attack to guarantee a OHKO with Rock Blast. I don't feel like doing the exact math on the residual damage adding up, but if there's any Toxic Spikes in the picture Cloyster wouldn't have more than 3 turns to live - any backup Pokemon that can use Protect, take a hit from a partially-boosted Cloyster, or summon Sand Stream would definitely result in a loss.

Of all the Fake Out users, Infernape doesn't use it on Durant so that's fine. Medicham and Mienshao High Jump Kick, so no set-up there. With Jynx you risk having it use Lovely Kiss or freezing with Blizzard the 2nd turn. Ludicolo you could maybe play around by switching to Cloyster and switching back to Durant on Grass Knot, but it doesn't Fake Out 100% of the time on the first turn and Hydro Pump can KO Cloyster if it crits. Shiftry you can usually keep Durant in and eventually get Entrainment to work, but I've seen it go 11/11 at blocking Durant with Fake Out and 10 perfectly timed Protects. Kangaskhan uses Fake Out and then Substitute; that's not going to end well. Weavile will Fake Out and then outspeed Durant with Taunt; not good either.

Last edited:
VaporeonIce, you've played a lot using the Durant strategy, what's the earliest you've ever seen a lead exploder explode? When a lead pokemon has protect, do they lead with protect? If a pokemon uses protect do they keep using protect every other turn?

If you run into a fake out user you probably wanna switch to cloyster, take the hit, switch(unless they have fire moves and no other stronger\super effective), then set up entrainment.

Changing the topic I did some calcs on what can survive 252atk +6 heracross mega and I only came up with two, please correct me if there's another

Set 4 steelix

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 510-600 (340 - 400%) -- guaranteed OHKO(Has sturdy)
(510, 516, 522, 528, 534, 540, 546, 552, 558, 564, 570, 576, 582, 588, 594, 600)

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 135-160 (90 - 106.6%) -- approx. 25% chance to OHKO
(27, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 29, 29, 29, 30, 30, 30, 30, 31, 31, 32)

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 45-50 (30 - 33.3%) -- approx. 1.6% chance to 3HKO
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10)

Set 2 steelix

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Steelix: 578-684 (317.5 - 375.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO(has sturdy)
(578, 588, 594, 600, 606, 614, 620, 626, 636, 642, 648, 654, 662, 668, 674, 684)

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Steelix: 150-180 (82.4 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(30, 31, 31, 32, 32, 33, 33, 33, 33, 34, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 36)

+6 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Steelix: 50-60 (27.4 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 12, 12, 12)

Last edited:
VaporeonIce, you've played a lot using the Durant strategy, what's the earliest you've ever seen a lead exploder explode? When a lead pokemon has protect, do they lead with protect? If a pokemon uses protect do they keep using protect every other turn?
Turn 1 Explosions are common, but not guaranteed; I've seen a Carbink Explode on its first turn out against Whimsicott, and I've seen it not Explode for the entire time I set up Drapion.

Regarding Protect, it's inconsistent; sometimes they'll lead with it, other times they won't. The AI will often (but not always) use Protect on every other turn, but once your Pokemon is at a point where they can KO it, they'll almost always choose to attack instead of Protect, even if they used Protect last turn (my strategy against Yanmega 4 relies on this; it's always attacked with Air Slash on the first turn against Whimsicott because Air Slash OHKOs; I switch to Durant, tank the hit, and use Entrainment while it tries to attack again instead of using Detect). The AI tends not to use Protect on consecutive turns, even if the previous turn failed (e.g. you switch Pokemon on the turn they use Protect; they don't use Protect on the next turn, even though it's guaranteed to work). That said, in some extremely rare cases, I've seen the AI use Protect on consecutive turns (but not with the Whimsicott/Durant/Drapion team, because the AI is pretty much never given the opportunity to do so with that team).

I'll keep you updated. If I run into one of those users, I'll save the video to show if and how I manage to deal with it.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Small triples update (team here):

#1253: MPGG-WWWW-WWXQ-EDN3
Also confirming that the AI didn't pull any funky shit on battle 1175 n_n

I wanted to post an update not too far in after resuming my streak because the lure of the top 5 was a bit much and there was still one non-moving target ahead of me within reasonable distance :p additionally, an active 1000 streak on the leaderboards looks a bit unambitious/abandoned so I wanted to show I was back at it and there's a typo in the number in front of my leaderboard entry so the sooner I move up the better, and I guess now is as good a time as ever. Nevertheless, I'm reasonably sure I'm not really top 5, since our benevolent topic leader has had plenty of time to remain ahead of me, but whatever. I still have to say that's a rather strange sensation lol - I mean, I don't really have a problem chasing moving targets because they're still 'targets' that don't really 'move' unless the player posts an update, so psychologically it doesn't really make a difference, but unless NoCheese posts an update on his streak before next time the leaderboard is updated, I'll be top 5 while his streak is probably still longer. Or not, who knows. Exploring the unknown realm of the moving targets has some adventurousness to it. I like it :3

I probably won't be making too many (more :<) 'insignificant' updates, as I like to include 'words' whenever I'm posting about this team and posts like 'yup, another 100 battles down, clear skies and more pretty good days in the office, cya' are a bit too bland for my taste, so I guess I'll be saving updates for close battles or real milestones (or a loss obviously) - I mean, who the hell cares if I'm at 1200 or 1253 or 1275 or 1427 if my streak is still going, there are bigger numbers to chase anyway, and I don't have anything worth reading to mention aside from an inconsequential number.

Man, I dunno how you guys are able to stand playing with your teams for so long. Is it the drive to get into the top five on the leaderboards that keeps you going?
Partially, yes, and even more it's like VaporeonIce said, that I want to know how good a team that I built really is and where its limit is; in that sense the leaderboard is more of a standard alongside which to judge my team's and my performance rather than a competition per se. With this particular team it's probably also how much I like it; I've repeatedly said something along the lines of 'it's nice to see things you love perform well', and I don't think I would have made it this far if I had used a team that's just as powerful but (for me) a lot less exciting because then I probably would have zoned out too far and made a fatal misplay a lot sooner. The number of the streak is somewhat less important than the team building process / fun in the process, so I'd rather end up high on the leaderboard with a team that I like than even higher with a team that I hate (or worse, stole), but that's not to say that seeing my name all the way up there doesn't feel really good, lol.
If boredom does kick in (like it sort of has now, the last few days before reaching 1000 in triples I was pushing 100 battles per day but now I have trouble -for lack of a better word lol- playing more than 25 battles before being done for the day, not that that's necessarily a bad thing), it's more being bored with the maison in general (in this case, being a bit burnt out from doubles) or not having a cool milestone in sight than being bored with this specific team, really. And with this team, there's still a bit of 'lol technically +606' (even though I don't care all that much about that anymore because I did manage to hit 1000) that kinda forces me to really take it to the limit ^^
Good luck, everyone n_n

Attachments

Last edited:
As merely the latest in a long string of abortive runs to try to make my favorite damn Pokemon work in the Maison, I give you:

Battle #15: Adventures in mis-predicting the AI
(Code: Q67W-WWWW-WWXQ-H5CN)
Turn 1: Electrode used Explosion!
Electrode fainted!
Espy used Calm Mind!
Roller Skater Rory sent in Crobat!

I honestly thought I would see a Taunt coming from the Electrode on Turn 1, which Espy ignores thanks to Magic Bounce. (Loads of AI leads like to taunt Espy instead of doing other, more productive things.) Instead, Electrode just explodes on me straight away and I lose my Sitrus Berry and am still sitting within easy KO range of pretty much anything.

Turn 2: Totoro sent out LasCursas!
Crobat used Nasty Plot!

OMFG, what? I was so damn sure Crobat2 was going to go for the easy kill with Shadow Ball that I switched to a 3HKO instead of just blasting it with Psychic for the OHKO. Instead, Crobat uses Nasty Plot and ensures there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop it.

Turn 3: LasCursas used Ice Shard! It's super effective!
Crobat used Air Slash!

In chess, this is called a zugzwang position. I can't switch to Ox - he's too slow, and even if he had Mach Punch (he doesn't) it still wouldn't do a damn thing to Crobat. Air Slash would eat him up at +0, let alone at +2. Espy is even worse off than that, with less than 60 HP left - a stiff breeze will KO him. So it's up to LasCursas, and I know it'll take a crit on Ice Shard or a miss from Crobat to make it happen. Here's hoping!

Turn 4: LasCursas used Ice Shard! It's super effective!
Crobat used Air Slash!
LasCursas fainted!
Ox! Go!

Nope. It's all over from here. I need a miss from Crobat followed by some serious luck on Poke#3. Spoilers: the miss doesn't happen.

Turn 5: Crobat used Air Slash! It's super effective!
Ox fainted!
Espy! Go!

Nnnnnope.

Turn 6: Crobat used Air Slash!
Espy fainted!

Yeah, no, totally not gonna happen, here.

In subsequent mock battles, I have discovered that multiple things went wrong here, on top of the wholly bizarre turn 2 Nasty Plot:
  • The AI apparently doesn't actually favor Explosion on turn 1, here - it much prefers Electro Ball, for reasons I do not understand. I still have yet to see it Taunt on turn one here, but if it goes Electro Ball, switching to Lapras on turn 2 eats the explosion without a huge dent, even on a crit.
  • Losing Espy to the Explosion is favorable to barely surviving because the AI goes second with Raichu in that scenario, and it's not an impressive Raichu set - Raichu 2nd always loses to a switch to Ox followed by a Drain Punch - Lapras with full health, Ox burned with most of his health, Crobat coming in. Not perfect, but winnable.
  • Crobat doesn't have a whole lot of faith in its +2, and it often takes a second Nasty Plot to get to +4. Critically, Crobat at +2 gets a 2HKO on Lapras, but Crobat at +4 does not get a OHKO on Lapras, so if it goes for a second Nasty Plot in front of Lapras, Lapras gets the KO with Ice Shard
After about 15 mock battles, I am convinced I made all the right plays - turn 1 Morning Sun would have served me better for the turn 1 Explosion, but the turn 1 Explosion seems to be very uncommon.

Bleah. While I have your attention, does anyone have a better idea for a 3rd member here than a Curse-Rest Lapras? It plays really well against other Curse-Rest/Bulk Up-Rest opponents, but it's not great for anything else. I was thinking a disabler of some sort, maybe Prankster Thundurus, but I really don't have any solid ideas yet.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
  • Crobat doesn't have a whole lot of faith in its +2, and it often takes a second Nasty Plot to get to +4. Critically, Crobat at +2 gets a 2HKO on Lapras, but Crobat at +4 does not get a OHKO on Lapras, so if it goes for a second Nasty Plot in front of Lapras, Lapras gets the KO with Ice Shard
The AI generally doesn't like to go for 2HKOs altogether. The first time (more or less) I faced a lead Gyarados4 with Greninja / Mega Scizor / Gliscor, I used my initial plan for lead Gyara, which was immediately switch to Scizor in order to use Swords Dance, use Bug Bite to remove its Chesto Berry, and finish it off with Bullet Punches - which I then realised is a horrible misplay because assuming it boosts on the switch and then boosts again as I SD, it has a 2HKO with Aqua Tail whereas Scizor can't KO with Bug Bite + Bullet Punch. My streak should have ended then and there because if Scizor goes down it bulldozes right over Greninja and Gliscor, but since it didn't have a guaranteed OHKO yet, it set up a third DD even though that wouldn't have given it a guaranteed OHKO either, allowing me to take it out anyway. turskain then told me the AI usually prefers boosting over going for the 2HKO. (but still I never switched to Scizor again against lead Gyara4 lol). Unfortunately I can't find the battle video so I guess I deleted it when cleaning out my VS recorder :\

Coincidentally, is there a typo in that battle video code? because my VS recorder can't find it and I /would/ like to know Ox's species n_n

Last edited:
Coincidentally, is there a typo in that battle video code? because my VS recorder can't find it and I /would/ like to know Ox's species n_n
Indeed, there was. Corrected. Thank you.

Espeon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack/4 Sp. Defense/252 Speed
IVs: 31/xx/31 31/31/31
Moves:
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Morning Sun

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Defense
IVs: 31/31/31 xx/31/31
Moves:
Drain Punch
Ice Punch
Knock Off
Bulk Up

They make a pretty good combo: between Espy's Magic Bounce, and Ox's Flame Orb, very few status effects ever actually land. Espy is fast enough to clean up certain threats, and can set up sweeps to boot. Ox hits pretty hard once Guts has activated, and Drain Punch keeps him nearly topped off most of the time. Bulk Up might wind up being scrapped - Ox rarely uses it, and the few times he has, it's been a last-ditch effort, rather than an attempt to actually get ahead.

Oh my god.

My second extremely inopportune encounter with lead Serperior4 in a position in which it can target Slowbro (and of course did) finished not only in a victory, but was even more maddeningly close than the first. I'll hold off on sharing the replay just like the last one, but I will say that Serperior amusingly got all five kills. The way I won was actually pretty amusing and not at all haxy (though there was one miss that went very much in my favor.) Oh, and of course the last poke sent out had to be extremely bad! In this case, it was 0-attacks Skarmory4.

I'm stunned mostly because this is another instance I was thinking I was more and more screwed turn by turn, yet by the end, when things are actually in my favor, I can't help but feel like someone just doesn't want me to lose.

Edit: That was battle #278, and the next one pitted me against another lead Serperior4... opposite Slowbro, so it can't touch it. Much appreciated. :P

Last edited:
Turn 1 Explosions are common, but not guaranteed; I've seen a Carbink Explode on its first turn out against Whimsicott, and I've seen it not Explode for the entire time I set up Drapion.

Regarding Protect, it's inconsistent; sometimes they'll lead with it, other times they won't. The AI will often (but not always) use Protect on every other turn, but once your Pokemon is at a point where they can KO it, they'll almost always choose to attack instead of Protect, even if they used Protect last turn (my strategy against Yanmega 4 relies on this; it's always attacked with Air Slash on the first turn against Whimsicott because Air Slash OHKOs; I switch to Durant, tank the hit, and use Entrainment while it tries to attack again instead of using Detect). The AI tends not to use Protect on consecutive turns, even if the previous turn failed (e.g. you switch Pokemon on the turn they use Protect; they don't use Protect on the next turn, even though it's guaranteed to work). That said, in some extremely rare cases, I've seen the AI use Protect on consecutive turns (but not with the Whimsicott/Durant/Drapion team, because the AI is pretty much never given the opportunity to do so with that team).
Thanks
How does this look to you

Durant@Choice scarf
Nature:Jolly
Trait:Truant
Entrainment
X-scissor
Iron head
Protect
172HP\108Def\228Spe(This is pretty much your old Durant)

Blaziken@Focus sash
Nature:Adamant
Trait:Speed boost
Hone claws
Protect
Baton pass
Fire punch
252Atk\252Spe\4Hp

Heracross@Heracronite
Nature:Adamant
Trait:Guts
Close combat
Pin missile
Rock blast
Protect
212Hp\252atk\44Spe

I, personally would rather run fire punch on blaziken then substitute. It can switch in on first turn fake outs, protect and fire punch OHKO most of em. I am a little worried about GW brave bird talonflame thoughthough for Heracrosses sake.
Also, watch out for lead Skarmory 4, who will just keep Whirlwinding you out and wearing you down with hazards.
I totally did not know that whirlwind and roar went through protect until I ran into one! I managed to win any way just with brute force.

Oh my god.

My second extremely inopportune encounter with lead Serperior4 in a position in which it can target Slowbro (and of course did) finished not only in a victory, but was even more maddeningly close than the first. I'll hold off on sharing the replay just like the last one, but I will say that Serperior amusingly got all five kills. The way I won was actually pretty amusing and not at all haxy (though there was one miss that went very much in my favor.) Oh, and of course the last poke sent out had to be extremely bad! In this case, it was 0-attacks Skarmory4.

I'm stunned mostly because this is another instance I was thinking I was more and more screwed turn by turn, yet by the end, when things are actually in my favor, I can't help but feel like someone just doesn't want me to lose.

Edit: That was battle #278, and the next one pitted me against another lead Serperior4... opposite Slowbro, so it can't touch it. Much appreciated. :P
I had one of those the other day. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, including a crit that was necessary to KO my mon... and then the last Pokemon was completely incapable of dealing damage to my final team member. I think it was Dusknoir3 against Magic Guard Clefable. Highly entertaining. (Man, Dusknoir has some weird, weird sets.)

Then other days I lost battles I have no business losing.
-shrug-
The Maison giveth, and the Maison taketh away.

*pats your back* As someone who is used to losing all the frigging time and deserving it, I appreciate the rare treat, that elusive bone toss, all the more.

Having said that, over these 280 battles I've noticed that the pokes capable of OHKOing Camerupt and Slowbro often like to target them instead of Aron, as if they regard Aron as the lowest priority of their death blows. It'll be especially apparent in #278 if you watch it, and for a very, very large number of Carracosta4 encounters, it opened by trying to Aqua Jet Camerupt. After the subsequent M-Evo, it takes the AJ kill off the table, and it's back to having eyes only for Aron (well, TR ensures that; otherwise I've little doubt it'd try to Waterfall Camerupt.)

Ditto for Tyrantrum, who has typically tried to Head Smash Camerupt (the only instance it Crunched Slowbro, it couldn't target Camerupt at all.)

The only exception to all this has been Armaldo4, who consistently uses Superpower on Aron, its worst possible move. It tried to X-Scissor Slowbro just once, but I don't remember where it was positioned.

Anyway, because of the two really ugly battles with Serperior, depending on its allies, I might forego first turn TR and just withdraw Slowbro, as well as passing on Protect to Endeavor it immediately and finish it with Camerupt. The issue is Rangers, who pack a lot of water types; Life Orb Excadrill and Mamoswine are slightly less a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)