VGC No Escape - Mega Gengar Team

Hi, I'm new to Smogon! This is my first real competitive team. I decided to do VGC because ever since I was a little kid I loved watching the tournaments. I decided to work around Mega Gengar, one of my favorite Mega Evolutions.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate / Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Spe / 84 SpD
Nature: Timid
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

The star of the team! Protect is important for stalling Perish Song turns and anticipating when to land Disables. Disable plus Perish Song is a deadly combo, locking the opponent out of landing super effective hits while stalling Perish Song turns. I went for a more bulky EV spread because this moveset mostly relies on Perish Song.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Scald
- Tailwind

My team's Speed control support. Ice Beam is for coverage, and Scald deals good damage while providing a possible Burn that really helps M-Gengar's frailness. M-Gengar also appreciate the Speed boost from Tailwind.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Not much to say about Talonflame, this is a pretty standard set. With Brave Bird, Choice Band and Gale Wings, Talonflame can deal ridiculous damage. M-Gengar appreciates the Will-O-Wisp burn to help deal with physical attacks.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore

My team's status aliment. Rage Powder redirects hits and Spore puts the opponent to sleep; both helping M-Gengar land and stall Perish Song turns. Giga Drain plus Regenerate provides reliable coverage.

Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Abilty: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 108 SpD / 32 SpA
Nature: Bold
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Clefable is a great supporter. Icy Wind is useful for hitting both opponents while providing a possible Speed drop. M-Gengar appreciates the Follow Me support to help land and stall Perish Song Turns. Helping Hand also helps give M-Gengar a more offensive presence.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Abilty: Pixelate
EVs: 252 SpA / 188 HP / 68 Def
Nature: Calm
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Sylveon works well in conjunction with M-Gengar by giving it more of an offensive presence. Psyshock and Shadow Ball provide decent coverage. Pixelate plus Hyper Voice is a powerful STAB move hitting both opponents on the field, while Hyper Beam will deal ridiculous damage.

Just a tip. The set you are running on Mega Gengar is more for stalling and VGC is a fast pace battle
Gengar isn't as stally as you think it is. Perish Trapping is still used in VGC. As for Suicune, Passive Recovery is not good in VGC because, like Wzzl2510 said, VGC is a fast paced battle. I suggest a Bulky Attacker set for Suicune over your current set. This set gives you speed control while being just better in general. Also, I believe here is a Item Clause in VGC so I suggest running Sitrus Berry over Rocky Helmet on Clefable. This allows you to reach a comfortable HP after getting worn down.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi!

Your team has a definite goal, and you seem to be dedicating the rest of your mons to following that goal, which is good, but in VGC you kind of want more options than you have at the moment. Having a way to beat the opponent outside of Perish Trap would be a good idea. Your team also struggles against common Pokemon such as Charizard Y, Mega Kangaskhan, and Scarf Landorus-T. These problems shouldn't be too difficult to fix, though. Because you're using Perish Trap Gengar, I would forego the use of Shadow Ball in favor of Substitute. You can use your redirection support on turn 1 to get up a substitute, and then get up a sub rather easily due to Mega Gengar's naturally high Speed. You might find the lack of an attacking move odd, but it really does fit this type of team better. Next, I would avoid using both Clefable and Sylveon on the same team, especially since you already have a Pokemon with redirection support in Amoonguss. Instead, I would use Terrakion over Clefable. Terrakion still beats Zard Y, and can help with your team's weakness to Kangaskhan better than Mienshao can. It also gives Quick Guard support to Gengar preventing Taunts and Encores from things like Thundurus and Liepard, as well as priority attacks like Talonflame's Brave Bird from circumventing the Sub/Protect shenanigans. If you would rather have Wide Guard support, I would use Mienshao in that slot, which still beats Mega Kanga and Zard Y, but also helps against Scarf Lando-T's Rock Slide. Terrakion/Mienshao also give you enough options outside of Perish Trap that you won't have to rely on it in every match.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

OR

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick / High Jump Kick
- Wide Guard
- Rock Slide

Hello Hex Maniac, i suggest using this set on your Suicune. Aaron Zheng used this set on his Suicune for APEX and St. Louis regionals. (If you don't know who that is then look him up, he's a great VGC battler). I HIGHLY suggest using this set because it's still really bulky and it hits hard.

If you want a more in depth look at it, then look at this Video -

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Going off of what i said previously, you should change the EV spread on Sylveon to 92 HP / 116 def / 252 SpA / 48 Spe.

There's also an item clause in VGC which means that you can's have 2 of the same items on your team. I noticed that you used rocky helmet on both clefable and amoonguss. Give the amoonguss Black sludge and either give the clefable leftovers, or keep rocky helmet. That's your choice.

Also..... Why are you running banded Talonflame while carrying Will-O-Wisp? I suggest changing the Talonflame set to:

Talonflame Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 12 SpA / 176 Spe
Naughty Nature
– Brave Bird
– Overheat
– Taunt
– Protect

Also this is a better set for Mega Gengar:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 188 HP / 20 Def / 44 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
– Perish Song
– Shadow Ball
– Substitute
– Protect

You're kinda missing some evs on Amoonguss...

I hope i helped ^~^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)