ORAS UU Thinking Out Loud

Dad's Dad

Banned deucer.
Thinking Out Loud

Hi I'm Dad's Dad, some of you may know me from the UU and NU rooms on Pokemon Showdown. Recently I've been trying out Hyper Offense teams and I just don't like the playstyle. Too much sacking, aggressive plays, frail things for my taste. So I decided to build a team with a really fat defensive core. I was looking at the teambuilder one night for a couple of hours and I was stumped on how to build a team that can cover as much of the meta as possible. That's when I knew I needed help so I pm'd my fren dodmen and we played around a lot with a lot of defensive cores until we stumbled upon this one. Before actually building the team I already wanted to use Specs Kyurem on a Balance team because I really like Kyurem and it's pretty underestimated. Enough rambling let's get into the Teambuilding Process.

Teambuilding Process:
: The team started off with this monster, it hits really hard with a Choice Specs denting even Sp.Def titans like Florges with an Ice Beam.
: Kyurem is pretty slow sadly so it gets outsped by a ton of things like M-Aerodactyl, so the team needed a check to that. Forretress easily checks M-Aerodactyl while getting up Stealth Rock and keeping up momentum.
: The team was really weak to Hydreigon and Fighting-Types so I added Florges to help check them as well as adding Heal Bell support to the team which is crucial.
: The team was looking Mega Pidgeot weak so M-Aerodactyl was added to help keep it in check. M-Aerodactyl also gives the team a solid revenge killer and Chandelure check.
: Cresselia added a Nidoqueen/Nidoking check, back-up Fighting-Type switch-in, another Ground-Immunity, and a win condition. Suicune added a phazer, Fire-Spam switch-in and Scald lol.
In-depth Look At The Team:

thespiakos (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Kyurem is a monster appropriately named 'thespiakos'. Thespiakos was a dragon who supposedly ravaged the lands Thespiai, in Central Greece. Ravaging teams is exactly what this thing does, with a Choice Specs its power is tremendous. It serves as a Feraligatr check because it can live a +2 Sheer Force Life Orb boosted Crunch. Draco Meteor because it's the strongest Dragon-STAB, Dragon Pulse for a reliable and spammable Dragon-STAB, Ice Beam for a good Ice-STAB that destroys the tier, and Focus Blast for Empoleon, Snorlax, Umbreon, and Blissey.

dont burn me (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is the hazard support on the team. It can Stealth Rock to get my hazards up, Rapid Spin to get rid of theirs while keeping mine on the field, Gyro Ball the fuck out of M-Aerodactyl, and Volt Switch to keep momentum. 248 HP EVs to maximize its HP while minimizing Stealth Rock damage, 16+ is just one of those Pokemon things (You get two points for every 4 EVs), and the rest into Special Defense because Forretress is frail on that side.

best kush lol (Florges) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Florges is on most Balance teams because every team basically needs a Fairy-Type. If you don't have one, have fun fighting a Hydreigon. Max Defense to help checks Band Heracross, Mienshao, Salamence, and other threats. Flower Veil because maybe the opponent will get tricked or something? 8 Speed because speed creep is good. This 'mon passes wishes to Forretress, Kyurem, and any other 'mon that needs it. Aromatherapy to heal the statuses my team might acquire. Pretty standard stuff.

flappy bird nigga (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Taunt
- Roost

This Pokemon is probably the best Pokemon in the in the tier right now. It's just so fast, pretty high powered STABs, access to a plethora of support moves and coverage moves. This thing is a monster, Jirachi leaving the tier really helped it rise to the top. Aerodactyl serves as my Chandelure and Mega Pidgeot check. It also stops Crobat from Defogging because it's faster than it and can hit it with a Super-Effective STAB Stone Edge. Taunt + Roost really helps against Stall because it shuts down most of their Pokemon because Stall relies on status moves to damage you.

yggdrasil (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 28 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

The EV spread looks kinda all over the place but it's actually not. 252 HP to maximise bulk, 20 Speed to outspeed Max Speed Machamp and things creeping that, I forget what the the 28 Sp.Def does but it helps a bit against stronger special attacks, the rest in Defense to make you a fucking tank. This thing is pretty amazing in the tier and I'm surprised it hasn't moved up to UU yet, it probably will next shift though. This thing uses so many things as set-up fodder, after a +1 it can even use Scarf Hydreigon as set-up fodder (lol). Just watch out for things with Toxic that shouldn't have Toxic and Shedinja.

water u doing (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest

Like I stated in the teambuilding process, this thing is my Fire-Spam switch-in. If you look at the rest of the team they all get bopped by Darmanitan and Entei. So this thing is here to keep them in check. It can also set up on a huge portion of the tier thanks to its natural physical bulk and Roar. Roar is a godsend on this Pokemon. Without Roar Pokemon like Reuniclus, Cresselia, Snorlax, Slowking all beat you in a Calm Mind war (Or just a war in Snorlax's case lol). But with Roar you can Roar these Pokemon out before they get too powerful and when they come back in you'll have more boosts under your belt than they will. 252 HP for maximum bulk, 20 Speed for the same reason as Cresselia, and 236 Defense to maximize bulk with the leftover EVs.

That's About It:

Thanks for reading this far and taking the time out of your day to read this RMT. Be sure to leave a rate and have a nice day!
n_n
Importable: pastebin.com/7rZxNAb4

Hi Dad's dad that's a pretty solid team i see there and i see very few flaws so congrats n_n. If I'm cherry picking though, I notice that your team can be pressured heavily by volt turn and hazard stack, forretress being easily spinblocked, and unable to beat any ghost types. You might consider pursuit over taunt on Mega Aerodactyl in order to beat ghosts as Mega Aero threatens out most of the ghost types in the tier, and gives forretress a much easier time doing its job instead of being forced to volt switch. In addition, your team is incredibly weak to chandelure (a ghost, haha!) in general, the specs set having no switchins, and sub cm being able to set up on a number of pokemon on your team. Again, pursuit lets you take down chandelure wishing to switch out.

But v cool team and i look forward to any future RMT's!!!

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
zop bwoii, pretty solid balance you got here. In terms of chandy which can be an annoyance um really as long as you have like rocks up or something I think you'll be ok but a cm set can be a little annoying but anything else really suicune can catch up to it with cms so its not a huge deal. Other than that it seems pretty good just be careful with opposing aeros while forry still hard checks it with those evs and you have a suicune if they fall too low a hone claws set can be an issure but thats a lot of variables and I dont see it happening cuz you have a wish passer/cleric and cunes got rest so I think you'll be fine. Solid team tho breh.

Hey Dad's Dad, Cool Team.
Considering this team it's very solid the only thing I could do is just giving you some little adjustment regarding some spreads and sets. The first spread I'd change is Florges', 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe this spread allows you to outspeed those Machamp who try to outspeed only Classic Florges. Make Suicune 240 HP / 232 Def / 36 Spe with these evs in HP you can gain maximum recovery from lefties points while with 36 evs in speed you should be able to outspeed almost all the other Roar Cune avoiding surprises during the 1v1 wars..
The last tip I could give you is doing Toxic Spikes> Volt Switch on Forretress because the team suffers Roar vaporeon alot, who is able to take any move from your pokemons and also, it can block you from setupping with Cresselia which is the only one who can effectively do something if you consider that once Kyurem is locked/drop'd with meteor is easy to be played around. The lack of volt switch makes you lose some momentum but it is not a big problem if you consider the huge help that TSpikes can give you against various balanced teams and they also fit really well in your team thanks to the pressure Mega Aerodactyl does on the classic TSpikes absorber and defog users thanks to Taunt. With a bit of pillaring and TSpikes activated you should be able to limit the offensive pressure from Specs Chandelure as Da Shizzle already said, could be a problem for your team.
After I said this, good job.

Hey Dad's Dad, Cool Team.
Considering this team it's very solid the only thing I could do is just giving you some little adjustment regarding some spreads and sets. The first spread I'd change is Florges', 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe this spread allows you to outspeed those Machamp who try to outspeed only Classic Florges. Make Suicune 240 HP / 232 Def / 36 Spe with these evs in HP you can gain maximum recovery from lefties points while with 36 evs in speed you should be able to outspeed almost all the other Roar Cune avoiding surprises during the 1v1 wars..
The last tip I could give you is doing Toxic Spikes> Volt Switch on Forretress because the team suffers Roar vaporeon alot, who is able to take any move from your pokemons and also, it can block you from setupping with Cresselia which is the only one who can effectively do something if you consider that once Kyurem is locked/drop'd with meteor is easy to be played around. The lack of volt switch makes you lose some momentum but it is not a big problem if you consider the huge help that TSpikes can give you against various balanced teams and they also fit really well in your team thanks to the pressure Mega Aerodactyl does on the classic TSpikes absorber and defog users thanks to Taunt. With a bit of pillaring and TSpikes activated you should be able to limit the offensive pressure from Specs Chandelure as Da Shizzle already said, could be a problem for your team.
After I said this, good job.
implying those cune ev's are what he actually runs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)