Other A Comprehensive Guide to Different Playstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Balance,I think the core of Rotom-W+Ferrothorn should be mentioned under common defensive mons.They form a great water and grass core with Ferro providing rocks and Rotom-W acting as a ground resist.The pair have great synergy and are commonly seen on Balance teams.

Great thread btw :]

In Balance,I think the core of Rotom-W+Ferrothorn should be mentioned under common defensive mons.They form a great water and grass core with Ferro providing rocks and Rotom-W acting as a ground resist.The pair have great synergy and are commonly seen on Balance teams.

Great thread btw :]
Rotom-W and Ferrothorn are already in the balance section.
great work man, a valuble resource for both newer players and experienced players imo

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna request you rephrase "win condition" to be less misleading. First of all, winning is dependent on the battle itself; for example CM Clef doesn't win the game for you in all matchups, and in those cases trying to win with it is probably not the way to go.

Second, calling a Pokemon a condition in itself is flawed. Here condition is like a prerequisite that needs to be met, so it's more the situation a Pokemon / battle is in that leads directly to a win, rather than the Pokemon itself. This is the way condition is used outside of Pokemon as well, so it's potentially more helpful for new players if it's consistent instead of coining a new meaning.

Loosely I would call them set-up sweepers since that's indeed what they are doing. In general on stall the implication is they are too tanky to take down and thus "sweep" a team, rather than the traditional set up once or twice and OHKO everything sort of sweeper.

You can just say "Pokemon X wins the game" or "a way to (actively) win the battle" instead as well.

On balanced, you should mention Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Slowbro, and Mega Slowbro as strong defensive pieces. Some of that overlaps with bulky offense, but I've seen them all used to reasonable success as parts of defensive cores used on balanced teams. Some of those have not been mentioned at all and they should be mentioned somewhere.

Last edited:
Gonna request you rephrase "win condition" to be less misleading. First of all, winning is dependent on the battle itself; for example CM Clef doesn't win the game for you in all matchups, and in those cases trying to win with it is probably not the way to go.

Second, calling a Pokemon a condition in itself is flawed. Here condition is like a prerequisite that needs to be met, so it's more the situation a Pokemon / battle is in that leads directly to a win, rather than the Pokemon itself. This is the way condition is used outside of Pokemon as well, so it's potentially more helpful for new players if it's consistent instead of coining a new meaning.

Loosely I would call them set-up sweepers since that's indeed what they are doing. In general on stall the implication is they are too tanky to take down and thus "sweep" a team, rather than the traditional set up once or twice and OHKO everything sort of sweeper.

You can just say "Pokemon X wins the game" or "a way to (actively) win the battle" instead as well.
I never said the pokemon was a condition. Maybe I phrased it wrong but what I was trying to say is that (example) mega gallade needs to set up an SD in order to sweep, or mega gyarados needs a dragon dance to win. A condition is the prerequisite that needs to be met, and this is condition is met when the set up sweeper manages to set up the set up move. I'm still kinda confused though, what should I rephrase it to?

celticpride I will definitely do that.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I never said the pokemon was a condition. Maybe I phrased it wrong but what I was trying to say is that (example) mega gallade needs to set up an SD in order to sweep, or mega gyarados needs a dragon dance to win. A condition is the prerequisite that needs to be met, and this is condition is met when the set up sweeper manages to set up the set up move. I'm still kinda confused though, what should I rephrase it to?

celticpride I will definitely do that.
edit: I also mean referring to a Pokemon as a win condition is still saying that it's a condition, which you do.

win conditions on stall I mean, but with your example, it's not quite correct because once again it's dependent on the battle itself. Mega Gallade needs an SD, but its checks also need to be worn down and the opponent's revenge killers need to be KOed. That's why you can't just say Mega Gallade needs an SD and that's why the term doesn't really make sense outside of a battle. For rephrasing, I would say something like the following:

fat OP said:
Stall teams are usually composed of defensive pokemon that have good defensive synergy with each other. With the advent of ORAS, many powerful new mega pokemon were introduced and trying to wall all of them constantly is very unrealistic and hard to do. Therefore, running a bulky set-up sweeper on stall teams is now very common. The notion of sweeper here differs a bit from that on offense teams. Rather than setting up once and cleaning up a team, these Pokemon tend to start out and / or become very tanky, attaining multiple boosts and resulting in the opponent having no answer. I'll talk about common pokemon found on stall and then such sweepers found on stall.
Just think of how CM Clefable sweeps for a general description I guess.

note: I didn't look through all instances of the term, but another one I saw was Mega Altaria in balance. In general I would just avoid the term and replace it with sweeper, since that's the general idea here.

Last edited:
edit: I also mean referring to a Pokemon as a win condition is still saying that it's a condition, which you do.

win conditions on stall I mean, but with your example, it's not quite correct because once again it's dependent on the battle itself. Mega Gallade needs an SD, but its checks also need to be worn down and the opponent's revenge killers need to be KOed. That's why you can't just say Mega Gallade needs an SD and that's why the term doesn't really make sense outside of a battle. For rephrasing, I would say something like the following:

Just think of how CM Clefable sweeps for a general description I guess.

note: I didn't look through all instances of the term, but another one I saw was Mega Altaria in balance. In general I would just avoid the term and replace it with sweeper, since that's the general idea here.
ok thanks, I'll change that!

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Nice guide firehusky but IMO if you are going to mention Sun as a playstyle stuff like Sticky Web and Trick Room definitely need mentions as well.
lol you can mention BP if you want

edit: firehusky I still think sun is less viable than webs as evidenced by vanilla Venusaur not being on VR and Shuckel is at least in the C ranks

Last edited:
Nice guide firehusky but IMO if you are going to mention Sun as a playstyle stuff like Sticky Web and Trick Room definitely need mentions as well.
lol you can mention BP if you want
This guide is more for beginners and I included sun because it is part of weather playstyles. I already said why I wasn't going to do trick room and sticky web is just really bad and probably worse than sun atm. Also I will definitely not mention baton pass lol, rka already made a guide about it and it's shitty playstyle anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)