Social The Smogon Photo Album

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Went on a trip to Peru recently, was breathtaking (aside from the fact that literally everything was a scam)

(on the peak of Mount Macchu Picchu, 3082 metres above sea level :) With the fog surrounding the peak it was as if we were cut off from the rest of the world by some sort of magic veil--all in all pretty awesome!)
(this is me on the sand dunes near the oasis of Huacachina. Riding dune buggies and sandboards all over just as the sun set was one of the most exciting things I have ever done!)

Hope you enjoy! :)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Went on a trip to Peru recently, was breathtaking (aside from the fact that literally everything was a scam)
The tourist areas were a bit expensive, but everywhere else was dirt cheap. If you know how to speak the language and don't stay in the tourist areas than things are dirt cheap, on top of which you can barter for things in markets (which is a lot of fun). The most expensive area I stayed at was in the base town of Machu Pichu, everywhere else was no where near that rate, as well as the fact that stuff there was about the equivalent of stuff in the states.

I didn't get to visit the jungle or the oasis while I was there, but they looked like a lot of fun.

Any other pictures from your trip?

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The tourist areas were a bit expensive, but everywhere else was dirt cheap. If you know how to speak the language and don't stay in the tourist areas than things are dirt cheap, on top of which you can bargain for things in markets (which is a lot of fun). The most expensive area I stayed at was in the base town of Machu Pichu, everywhere else was no where near that rate, as well as the fact that stuff there was about the equivalent of stuff in the states.

I didn't get to visit the jungle or the oasis while I was there, but they looked like a lot of fun.

Any other pictures from your trip?
well you have to think of it in relative terms: even things that seemed dirt cheap in terms of dollars/pounds/etc. were almost always scams. We got a lot of what we considered good deals everywhere but in the end it was still getting stuff for more than it was worth. I get what you mean about staying out of tourist areas though, prices definitely drop once you head to out-of-the-way places, but often locals raised the price on us and hoped we wouldn't notice. That was probably because we were so obviously foreign (and Asian to boot--there's been a rash of Korean tourists in Peru lately because of a popular reality tv-show filmed there, and a lot of the tourist traps try to capitalize on that by catering to Koreans), and we didn't really know the language either x-x, so I probably didn't have the same experience you had and may have been a bit biased (it seems like you knew the territory and the language a lot better).

There are quite a few other pictures, I'll upload those later though, don't want to flood or anything :)

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well you have to think of it in relative terms: even things that seemed dirt cheap in terms of dollars/pounds/etc. were almost always scams. We got a lot of what we considered good deals everywhere but in the end it was still getting stuff for more than it was worth. I get what you mean about staying out of tourist areas though, prices definitely drop once you head to out-of-the-way places, but often locals raised the price on us and hoped we wouldn't notice. That was probably because we were so obviously foreign (and Asian to boot--there's been a rash of Korean tourists in Peru lately because of a popular reality tv-show filmed there, and a lot of the tourist traps try to capitalize on that by catering to Koreans), and we didn't really know the language either x-x, so I probably didn't have the same experience you had and may have been a bit biased (it seems like you knew the territory and the language a lot better).

There are quite a few other pictures, I'll upload those later though, don't want to flood or anything :)
I just had a couple of friends who had knew the area / what they were doing so for the most part we were able to avoid paying extra. The couple of things that we didn't skimp out on were paying the extra 5$ for first class seats on 12 hour bus rides and tourist places like Machu Pichu and the condors. And usually the difference was a couple of soles, so it wasn't to big a deal to give a little bit more. And like I said you could haggle stuff down from what they were asking, which I wish I could do in the states cause it was a lot of fun.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)