Inheritance [Prime Council Elected]

I've got a few different teams I have been laddering with and I've come up with a few sets I really enjoy using that I would like to share.

Lanturn (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Completely shuts down all Suicune I have encountered, especially those that carry toxic. Also a solid counter to Gale Wings.

Ambipom (Beedrill) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt

Fake out provides safe Mega Evolution. Taunt makes excellent use of M-Bee's speed to shut down hazard leads.

Eelektross (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 96 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpA / 112 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Drain Punch

Haven't seen much of out Hydrei in this meta, which is a shame considering the massive absence of Fairys and Hydrei's awesome wall breaking capabilities. This set is just meant to be a mixed attacking pivot. Good for luring in Special walls that don't realize you are mixed.

Stoutland (Ursaring) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Happiness: 0
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

This is a set for use in sand, would be better without the Primal weather abilities but if you can work around them and get this in during sand it will take a mon or two out since it hits super hard.

Sandslash (Krookodile) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

This is another Sand Rush sweeper who really appreciates other weather inducers out of the picture.

Starmie (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Confuse Ray

Tank hits, absorb status, scald, confuse, and spin; Very simple to use, but effective.

Machamp (Infernape) @ Fist Plate
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Vacuum Wave

Makes great use of Nape's decent mixed attacking stats. Mixed attackers really enjoy this meta and Dynamic Punch hits pretty damn hard even without positive nature and max evs.
This is nice stuff. That Hydreigon set can help CLC players because people don't really know how to use Hydreigon in Inh. Though can you explain the EV spread in Hydreigon?

Also I wish I can post my current team in Sample Teams thread, but Unfixable says no :(

Edit: there are CH and Averagemons teams in Sample Teams thread, yet Inheritance isn't allowed >_>

Last edited:
Re: Protean

Before I begin please note I am not trying to argue for a ban, I'm personally on the fence, but I think people are misunderstanding what I think the potential problem(s) with Protean actually is/are. I don't like people dismissing my concern on an inaccurate basis.

Point the first: Protean reduces a Pokemon down to its stats alone for determining usability. This is arguably true of a lot of stall donors, but stallmons don't punch holes in teams in one turn. This makes Protean uniquely capable of being slapped, viably, onto virtually any competent offensive choice. And you can still slap it onto stall choices if you want to take Kecleon's access to Recover and Stealth Rock as a starting point, so just assuming Protean=offense is not a certainty!

Contrast this with other offensive donors, and you will find they all struggle with some degree of limitations. Keldeo, for instance, is a fairly limited donor, because Lucario is basically the only other Specially-strong Fighting type to take advantage of STAB Secret Sword, and outside Secret Sword Keldeo's movepool is limited and overall inferior to myriad other choices. (And Justified synergizes poorly with inheriting from Keldeo for its Special movepool) Talonflame is a relatively predictable donor, because if it's not a Physical Flying type, Talonflame is an iffy donor for it. I can go on forever here -Guts is bad on Fire types and useless for Special attackers, Toxic Boost is useless to Poison and Steel types and Special attackers, Flare Boost is useless to Fire types and Physical attackers, Mega Launcher is useless to Physical attackers....

Point the second: Arguably a sub-point of the first point, Protean can take any bad or problematic typing and make it go away. There are narrow, specific cases of other Abilities allowing one to enhance a specific typing (Desolate Land covering for a double Water weakness, Primordial Sea or Flashfire covering for a double Fire weakness, most notably leaving Bug/Steel with no weaknesses), but these can all be predicted to an extent and in some cases actively announce themselves on switch-in. (eg Primordial Sea, potentially Levitate if you have Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes and/or Sticky Web up) Only Protean can take literally any typing and make it better.

Point the third: Within battle Protean provides benefits that overlap with the utility of U-Turn/Volt Switch/Baton Pass/Parting Shot -if you outspeed the target (Or use priority!) you can predict their attack, get in damage, and go from being vulnerable to being resistant, or even immune! (This being equivalent to U-Turning out into something resistant or immune to the oncoming attack, albeit lacking the part where you see the enemy's choice to switch or lack thereof first) This provides Protean users with remarkable durability, effectively doubling or quadrupling (Or more) their relative durability against what should be able to do severe damage. Hi Fur Coat, I'm laughing at you right now. Anybody who went through all my replays might have noticed I started out with Life Orbs and transitioned to Leftovers, and my team's survivability went way up once it wasn't killing itself.

You'd think this would be a trivial detail against stallmons, except even then it can be huge. Flamethrower or Fire Punch allows Kecleon inheritors to spontaneously ignore Will O Wisp, Toxic Spikes (Let alone Toxic itself) can get in work while laughing at a Toxic attempt, Grass Knot can provide Spore immunity (Which is not trivial given how often Spore inheritors aren't Grass types -Terrakion is a favorite, and Grass Knot is excellent against it anyway!), and of course Thunderbolt/Punch can block a Thunder Wave attempt. Or heck, you can Thunder Wave them first!

It can be ridiculously hard to get in reasonable damage on a Protean target, allowing even relatively fragile inheritors to just keep going and going and going...

Point the fourth: Protean is not centered on Mega abuse. This might seem a bit odd to point out, but it's true -Boomburst is mostly notable if donated to Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, or Mega Glalie. Extreme Speed is mostly notable if donated to Mega Altaria or Mega Glalie. (Or Adaptability Extreme Speed can be granted to a Normal type via Mega Lucario, but you still have some clue) Several of the really extreme beneficiaries are inherently restricted by the fact that they have to be a Mega to really produce the most absolutely ridiculous results, making it easier to predict and account for the possibility.

Point the fifth: Protean doesn't announce itself. While this is true of most possible donors, some of the most alarming ones provide an immediate announcement of the possibility upon switch-in -GeoKiss is not only an obvious possibility at team preview, but is explicitly confirmed the instant it switches in and Togekiss has a Fairy Aura. Rain-boosted Water Spout shenanigans are revealed the instant Primordial Sea kicks in, and still extremely likely if ordinary Drizzle is what kicks in. Rayquaza's powerful movepool (Extreme Speed, Dragon Ascent, V-Create...) is bluntly confirmed by either Air Lock or more typically Delta Stream kicking in. Most of the most dangerous things that need to be responded to immediately give away the game the instant they switch in.

Point the sixth: Even though Protean announces itself upon using a move, it remains unpredictable. Even once you've narrowed it down to Greninja or Kecleon, it's still really hard to say what the rest of its movepool looks like, and it really matters that you don't know. Depending on their movepool, maybe X switch-in will flat-out stop them, or maybe it be hit with a super effective Knock Off on the way in. (Or maybe they'll just U-Turn out, ha ha) Other donors, once identified, can be predicted to a meaningful extent and accounted for -especially since anything in their movepool that isn't a STAB move will be weaker and thus even a switch-in vulnerable to the move has decent odds of being able to switch in on the move. (Assuming it's not a double weakness, at least) A lot of donors, even ones with wide movepools, will still in practice tend to amount to a very restricted set of possibilities for the Pokemon inheriting, because anything else would be so sub-optimal that it only makes sense as a lure, if that. This doesn't remotely apply to Protean, where even not knowing the fourth move can be cause for nail-biting and bad decisions -one of my matches my opponent was legitimately concerned my Pokemon's last move was Sucker Punch, and this nearly cost them the match because they didn't want to risk losing their Fake Outer to a Sucker Punch. (It was Knock Off)

Point the seventh: For any move that wouldn't normally be a STAB move on the Pokemon, Protean is a Choice-level boost, for free. It's easy to say "well Protean is less of a boost for STAB moves than Guts or the like", but that's misleading. Dragon is a bad offensive type in Gen VI, only really worthwhile to run on Dragons because it is a STAB move -and Protean Haxorus cares not one whit that it's abandoning Dragon STAB because now everything else (ie the moves with actually good types) has a Band-level boost off its 147 Attack, with no disadvantage. So too for Normal attackers, only more so, also Psychic is a depressing offensive type, and even examples like Bug and Grass that are heavily resisted but technically have offensive value can get use out of it too.

Meanwhile all the Abilities that substantially upgrade a Pokemon's broad offensive prowess fall under one of two categories.

1: Banned. (Huge Power, Pure Power)

2: Either the boost is its only advantage (eg Tough Claws, which is a weaker boost anyway) or it has an inherent disadvantage to using it (Guts, Flare Boost, Toxic Boost) or both. (Hustle)

Nothing else legal has anywhere near the level of offensive pressure without either having a direct cost (Health and your item slot for Guts) or being so narrowly focused it makes you very predictable. (Strong Jaw and Mega Launcher) And then they still lack the other qualities that make Protean amazing! (Albeit some of them have their own advantages)

---

tl;dr version Protean is not just flexible/versatile, otherwise I wouldn't care because that's pretty intrinsic to Inheritance, it has other qualities people seem to be ignoring that are completely unique to it and actually legitimately amazing.

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
This is nice stuff. That Hydreigon set can help CLC players because people don't really know how to use Hydreigon in Inh. Though can you explain the EV spread in Hydreigon?

Also I wish I can post my current team in Sample Teams thread, but Unfixable says no :(
The evs are to outspeed positive max base 145, guaranteed 2HKO Blissey with Superpower, and do a good chunk of damage to Chansey.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much everything except for:

Point the first: Protean reduces a Pokemon down to its stats alone for determining usability. This is arguably true of a lot of stall donors, but stallmons don't punch holes in teams in one turn. This makes Protean uniquely capable of being slapped, viably, onto virtually any competent offensive choice. And you can still slap it onto stall choices if you want to take Kecleon's access to Recover and Stealth Rock as a starting point, so just assuming Protean=offense is not a certainty!

Contrast this with other offensive donors, and you will find they all struggle with some degree of limitations. Keldeo, for instance, is a fairly limited donor, because Lucario is basically the only other Specially-strong Fighting type to take advantage of STAB Secret Sword, and outside Secret Sword Keldeo's movepool is limited and overall inferior to myriad other choices. (And Justified synergizes poorly with inheriting from Keldeo for its Special movepool) Talonflame is a relatively predictable donor, because if it's not a Physical Flying type, Talonflame is an iffy donor for it. I can go on forever here -Guts is bad on Fire types and useless for Special attackers, Toxic Boost is useless to Poison and Steel types and Special attackers, Flare Boost is useless to Fire types and Physical attackers, Mega Launcher is useless to Physical attackers....
I completely understand what you're saying here. You can basically slap Protean on anything with decent stats and you can deal a lot of damage. You don't need to worry about typing because everything is STAB. It doesn't really have any major drawbacks. But I can't help but wonder. So what?

Point the fifth: Protean doesn't announce itself. While this is true of most possible donors, some of the most alarming ones provide an immediate announcement of the possibility upon switch-in -GeoKiss is not only an obvious possibility at team preview, but is explicitly confirmed the instant it switches in and Togekiss has a Fairy Aura. Rain-boosted Water Spout shenanigans are revealed the instant Primordial Sea kicks in, and still extremely likely if ordinary Drizzle is what kicks in. Rayquaza's powerful movepool (Extreme Speed, Dragon Ascent, V-Create...) is bluntly confirmed by either Air Lock or more typically Delta Stream kicking in. Most of the most dangerous things that need to be responded to immediately give away the game the instant they switch in.
I'm going to have to disagree here as well. As you yourself said, most donors don't announce themselves. But basically the only donors that do are Xerneas, Kyogre-Primal, Groudon-Primal, Mega Rayquaza, Genesect and Yellowmetal(Or however you spell it. The Xerneas counterpart). I find it hard to believe that any of those are more dangerous than something carrying Adaptability, Tough Claws, Mega Launcher, Unburden, Refrigerate, Gale Wings, Aerilate, Pixilate or any of the various other abilities in the meta.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
There are better things Scizor can Inherit from. It can Inherit from Genesect for Iron head, Blaze kick, Extreme speed and shift gear. Also less notably Genesect also gets X-scizzor, U-turn, Gunk shot, Zen headbutt, Facade, Bug bite, Flame charge and Explosion.

Scizor can also inherit from Lucario for Swords dance, Bullet punch, Close comebat and Blaze kick. It also gets Extreme speed, ice punch, thunder punch, high jump kick, low kick and the list goes on forever... Lucario has a really big movepool.
Note though that while scizor can inherit from gene, it is probably better off using metagross instead since tough claws boost and the lack of technician boosted stabs. Tough claws Megagross Iron Head hits harder than Scizor Metal Claw (idk if gene gets metal claw but w/e). Using hasty is a huge downfall as well meaning lant easily revenges you if you don't run espeed, and megagross has tough claws espeed to work with as well.
Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
Inherited from mawile
Actually a nice set, since sucker punch gives it powerful priority, and +2 stabs hurt like crazy while sucker punch still hits quite hard. Intimidate has great utility as well and magic bounce makes it harder for stall to handle (although they don't have too hard a time with this in general). Neat set.
I've got a few different teams I have been laddering with and I've come up with a few sets I really enjoy using that I would like to share.

Lanturn (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Completely shuts down all Suicune I have encountered, especially those that carry toxic. Also a solid counter to Gale Wings.

Ambipom (Beedrill) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt

Fake out provides safe Mega Evolution and chip damage. Taunt makes excellent use of M-Bee's speed to shut down hazard leads.

Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Drain Punch

Haven't seen much of out Hydrei in this meta, which is a shame considering the massive absence of Fairys and Hydrei's awesome wall breaking capabilities. This set is just meant to be a mixed attacking pivot. Good for luring in Special walls that don't realize you are mixed.

Stoutland (Ursaring) @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

This is a set for use in sand, would be better without the Primal weather abilities but if you can work around them and get this in during sand it will take a mon or two out since it hits super hard.

Sandslash (Krookodile) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

This is another Sand Rush sweeper who really appreciates other weather inducers out of the picture.

Starmie (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Confuse Ray

Tank hits, absorb status, scald, confuse, and spin; Very simple to use, but effective.

Machamp (Infernape) @ Fist Plate
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Vacuum Wave

Makes great use of Nape's decent mixed attacking stats. Mixed attackers really enjoy this meta and Dynamic Punch hits pretty damn hard even without positive nature and max evs.
The rotom-w set looks pretty good, since although it may be a bit niche at first, volt switch can give valuable momentum meaning this can fit on more offensive teams. Eliminating/countering cune is huge in this meta for offensive/balanced teams and this is a good example of a reliable way to handle it.

If mega bee wasn't so god damn terrible, that would be an amazing set. But really, taunt is pretty pointless because anytime you use it you are a single misplay away from dying. Not so good. Ambipom can learn knock off, so that might make for a better 4th moveslot addition.

Hydreigon...ugh. I have tried everything and its coverage/power is always outclassed by something. This set may be no different. Mixed attacker? Salamence is an example of a mon with better stabs, speed, and slightly less bulk. Landorus-I has better stabs and good mixed attacking stats, a better typing, and comparable bulk (89/90/80). Thundurus too. Because Hydreigon's statline is so mediocre in comparison to other mons, the only edge it could have would be its typing / stabs. Well in this meta, Dark and Dragon aren't great stabs, so I don't think it has any edges over other mixed attackers. Try to take advantage of its stabs? Mega Launcher is generally outclassed by greninja, and has a surprisingly disappointing damage output when you think how hard it SHOULD hit.

That Manaphy is a cruel set for balanced teams to abuse. It has great bulk, even in this meta, by virtue of its typing; it can beat weavile as well which is huge for balance. It spins and spreads AIDS.

Infernape is good, although I wish there was something with more power, but oh well. It really has the best stats to pull that set off.

Good sets, I like them.

Ghoul King I don't want to quote entire post w/e...

Just keep in mind - Protean, while having a ton of perks, is unpredictable in the same way that everything else is; however its other perks of possible brokenness are the same as the inherit benefits any mon sees from inheritance. Unpredictability and versatility are big on everything.

The "stats determine viability" thing doesn't make protean alone broken or is a broken quality, since its not the stats but the effectiveness of the mons we are talking about. While it is a great quality of protean, it certainly doesn't make it broken. I know thats not what you were suggesting either, but I am stating this for reference that pro-banners can't use that as an argument.

The change typing defensively thing is more of what I feel to be a facet of prediction. Its not about it being a way around opponents, but rather, it is a convienient way to take less damage from opposing attacks while still dishing out solid damage, and this is a perk of protean, not uncompetitive.

Protean in general is not proven "broken" by any of those points, since nothing there makes it too hard to counter, uncompetitive, etc. Its more like it becomes a great tool and you are showing why every team has a use for it.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Note though that while scizor can inherit from gene, it is probably better off using metagross instead since tough claws boost and the lack of technician boosted stabs. Tough claws Megagross Iron Head hits harder than Scizor Metal Claw (idk if gene gets metal claw but w/e).
Genesect does get Download, so if you get lucky and nab the boost, it hits harder than Tough Claws. It can amount to nothing, but you can usually tell whether something is a physical or special wall through experience or doing /dt if it is an offensive Pokemon (and thus likely not def invested).

Note though that while scizor can inherit from gene, it is probably better off using metagross instead since tough claws boost and the lack of technician boosted stabs. Tough claws Megagross Iron Head hits harder than Scizor Metal Claw (idk if gene gets metal claw but w/e). Using hasty is a huge downfall as well meaning lant easily revenges you if you don't run espeed, and megagross has tough claws espeed to work with as well.

Actually a nice set, since sucker punch gives it powerful priority, and +2 stabs hurt like crazy while sucker punch still hits quite hard. Intimidate has great utility as well and magic bounce makes it harder for stall to handle (although they don't have too hard a time with this in general). Neat set.

The rotom-w set looks pretty good, since although it may be a bit niche at first, volt switch can give valuable momentum meaning this can fit on more offensive teams. Eliminating/countering cune is huge in this meta for offensive/balanced teams and this is a good example of a reliable way to handle it.

If mega bee wasn't so god damn terrible, that would be an amazing set. But really, taunt is pretty pointless because anytime you use it you are a single misplay away from dying. Not so good. Ambipom can learn knock off, so that might make for a better 4th moveslot addition.

Hydreigon...ugh. I have tried everything and its coverage/power is always outclassed by something. This set may be no different. Mixed attacker? Salamence is an example of a mon with better stabs, speed, and slightly less bulk. Landorus-I has better stabs and good mixed attacking stats, a better typing, and comparable bulk (89/90/80). Thundurus too. Because Hydreigon's statline is so mediocre in comparison to other mons, the only edge it could have would be its typing / stabs. Well in this meta, Dark and Dragon aren't great stabs, so I don't think it has any edges over other mixed attackers. Try to take advantage of its stabs? Mega Launcher is generally outclassed by greninja, and has a surprisingly disappointing damage output when you think how hard it SHOULD hit.

That Manaphy is a cruel set for balanced teams to abuse. It has great bulk, even in this meta, by virtue of its typing; it can beat weavile as well which is huge for balance. It spins and spreads AIDS.

Infernape is good, although I wish there was something with more power, but oh well. It really has the best stats to pull that set off.

Good sets, I like them.

Just keep in mind - Protean, while having a ton of perks, is unpredictable in the same way that everything else is; however its other perks of possible brokenness are the same as the inherit benefits any mon sees from inheritance. Unpredictability and versatility are big on everything.

The "stats determine viability" thing doesn't make protean alone broken or is a broken quality, since its not the stats but the effectiveness of the mons we are talking about. While it is a great quality of protean, it certainly doesn't make it broken. I know thats not what you were suggesting either, but I am stating this for reference that pro-banners can't use that as an argument.

The change typing defensively thing is more of what I feel to be a facet of prediction. Its not about it being a way around opponents, but rather, it is a convienient way to take less damage from opposing attacks while still dishing out solid damage, and this is a perk of protean, not uncompetitive.

Protean in general is not proven "broken" by any of those points, since nothing there makes it too hard to counter, uncompetitive, etc. Its more like it becomes a great tool and you are showing why every team has a use for it.
Genesect does get a move called Metal bomb, 60 base power with -- accuracy

Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Drain Punch .
Looks nice i didn't even know eel could get d.pulse i know it got d.claw but not pulse

Might as well talk about a few sets I've messed around with

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

A scarily powerful special wallbreaker, just in general it pretty much kills things by spamming ridiculously strong fire blasts. Inherits from Primal Groudon's surprisingly decent special movepool.(why does it learn thunder/thunderbolt?)Since it's a Heatran it's also pretty bulky and has solid typing defensively. Not really much to say.

Cresselia (F) @ Lum Berry/Colbur Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Signal Beam/Heat Wave

Do I even need to say anything about the monster that is Simple Cress? Inherits from Swoobat, set-ups on a sizable portion of the tier, ridiculously annoying to kill with most mons, can even potentially beat unaware mons thanks to Stored Power, etc. Why isn't Cress S-rank, anyways?

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Stone Edge/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed/Stone Edge/ Dragon Dance
Kinda surprised this isn't even listed, this thing is a monster with STAB Tough Claws Dragon Ascent, bops steels with V-Create, and has access to Stone Edge, Extremespeed, and Dragon Dance to just destroy. Easily cleans a lot of games and gets a lot of kills.

I completely understand what you're saying here. You can basically slap Protean on anything with decent stats and you can deal a lot of damage. You don't need to worry about typing because everything is STAB. It doesn't really have any major drawbacks. But I can't help but wonder. So what?
Part of my point, that I was maybe not explicit enough on, is that Protean completely kills the idea of a counter and seriously impacts the idea of a check to the specific Pokemon. There are sets that will hard-stop and kill literally any remotely viable Landorus-Therian set -except a Protean one. While you can say this about individual sets for individual Pokemon countering individual Pokemon, as far as I'm aware Protean is the only Ability/Protean donors are the only donors that do this nearly universally, for any Pokemon against any check or counter you care to name.

Another part of what I didn't really spell out fully is that you can basically tack on "Protean donor" onto a Pokemon's list of viable donors. It inherently makes the meta as a whole more chaotic. It's debatable whether that's really a bad thing (Hackmons is immense chaos and it's, what, the most popular OM?), but it's worth commentary.

I'm going to have to disagree here as well. As you yourself said, most donors don't announce themselves. But basically the only donors that do are Xerneas, Kyogre-Primal, Groudon-Primal, Mega Rayquaza, Genesect and Yellowmetal(Or however you spell it. The Xerneas counterpart). I find it hard to believe that any of those are more dangerous than something carrying Adaptability, Tough Claws, Mega Launcher, Unburden, Refrigerate, Gale Wings, Aerilate, Pixilate or any of the various other abilities in the meta.
It's Yveltal.

I'm having some difficulty seeing how you think Drought Mega Houndoom opening with Eruption and spamming Fire Blast/Solar Beam/other coverage isn't "more dangerous" than Adaptability, Tough Claws, etc.

Additionally, any user of Cloud Nine narrows the possibilities, Intimidate announces itself and narrows the possibilities, Mold Breaker announces itself and narrows the possibilities, Pressure announces itself and narrows the possibilities, etc etc. There's a lot of Abilities that announce themselves, and it's usually not that hard to work out the one or two possibilities (That are often quite similar, if there's two or even three of them) via dex-searching, and usually once you know what it is you can basically guess its entire moveset with a low possibility of error/meaningful error. (Inheriting from a Quiver Dancer=running Quiver Dance=running a Special movepool=OK what moves in this Quiver Dancer's movepool are STAB for the inheritor?)

Any Ability that announces itself narrows the possibilities, and often there's only one, maybe two specific things that really make all that much sense for the Pokemon out of the donors with the Ability.

Like I said, I'm on the fence myself, because it's definitely very good but very good is not necessarily broken. My concern is that Protean does a surprising number of things, all at the same time, that no other Ability does -it extends your Pokemon's life, it makes their damage more consistently high, it provides spontaneous immunity to problematic conditions, and it allows you to maneuver your Pokemon like with a switch, with none of the costs of a switch.

I also disagree that Protean's versatility and unpredictability is equivalent to "everything in Inheritance in general". There's a big difference between "Ice Shard on [something capable of taking any two attacks from any Landorus-Therian build] is a reliable check/counter to all Landorus-Therian builds" and "no wait never mind it's Protean and Ice Shard is worthless". Protean builds are fundamentally more unpredictable than other partially identified builds, and more prone to punishing the assumption you have a reasonable check or counter.

Also why have I never seen Ho-Oh Landorus-Therian or Blaziken Landorus-Therian what is that. Ho-Oh Landorus-Therian is, like, a direct upgrade to Standard Landorus-Therian, and throws in Sacred Fire for spreading Burns. They're both the only sources of Earthquake+Brave Bird.

I've also never seen Delta Stream Landorus-Therian, which strikes me as exceedingly strange.

There's more to the world than Gale Wings Landorus-Therian and Protean Landorus-Therian and Aerilate Landorus-Therian!

I'm preaty sure tyranitar inheriting from Yvetale should be on the viability rankings, compared to say crawdaunt
Yvetal
  • Gives it the third Strongest priority in the game(after brave bird and download ate speed)
  • A boosted knock off
  • secondary Stab in rock slide
  • tailwind
  • roost for recovery
  • U-turn for momentum
  • no switchero

Crawdaunt
  • No use full priority
  • Slightly stronger knock off
  • adaptability boosted rock slide
  • dragon dance/Swords dance
  • no recovery
  • Super power
  • Switchero

canno

formerly The Reptile
I don't get why using Protean on Landorus T when you have Haxorus which is faster and has a little more Attack. Its not that frail too.
Protean Lando-T is primarily a lure vs its answers. That and it has higher Special Attack, which can matter if you need to smack something with a special move or something.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Protean Lando-T is primarily a lure vs its answers. That and it has higher Special Attack, which can matter if you need to smack something with a special move or something.
basically this, landorus T can reliably beat its would be counter water absorb diancie without relying on...iron tail of all things(hp steel). lmao. hax only has 6 more speed, and 3 more attack, meanwhile landorus has a entire list of false counters itching to be sent in on it to die. ive tried protean haxorus, but then i switched to landorus for those two reasons.

Gimmick

Electric potential
This has to be my favorite OMotM and I hope it stays forever. One of the most fun things is guessing what your opponents' Pokemon inherit so you can actually play around them, and that takes a ton of knowledge.

@ Manectite [
]
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Pain Split

This is prob my fav set because it's Manectric it outspeeds all of the top tier offensive threats and OHKOs pretty much all of them after a Nasty Plot. Intimidate + Download gives 2 free stat boosts/drops which is super cool. Sometimes, a Download boost is enough to sweep teams. Manectric can actually set up on a couple things after an Indimidate drop using Recover; it doesn't always have to force switches to grab a boost. I playtested with Pain Split a bit to abuse Unaware Cresselia switch-ins, but its potential was really limited. This set plows through teams that rely on Unaware Suicune to handle setup sweepers. Also people never expect Ice Beam lol.

@ Lum Berry / Leftovers [
]
Ability: Flame Body
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost

I tried this on a whim thinking it would just suck and do nothing, but I'm surprised--it actually became one of the best members of my team. Roosting on physical moves that do ~60% over and over is hilarious because they never expect to get burned, giving more set-up opportunities. I like Lum Berry to deal with Unaware Suicune's Scald and random Prankster T-Waves, but Leftovers helps set up on more offensive threats. If I don't reveal Flame Body throughout the game, Fire Blast sometimes gets surprise kills during a sweep. Quick question, though: what type does this thing become after a Roost? lol

EDIT:

Figured I'd post a dump of some interesting sets I'm going to test:
->
@ Manectite [
]
Ability: Drizzle -> Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse

@ Life Orb [
]
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

->
@ Cameruptite [
]
Ability: Regenerator -> Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

@ Life Orb [
]
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Ice Beam
Using this set on a rain team.

Last edited:
I've also never seen Delta Stream Landorus-Therian, which strikes me as exceedingly strange.
I tried it, the problem with it is that a(Landot doesn't care about ignoring its Water weakness, and Glalie probably kills anyway, and b(if you use it you can't use other Landos. Gale Landot does as much damage.

I prefer for a Rayquaza inheritance either Dragonite or Charizard@MegastoneX, because they aren't insanely useful at everything else. (Charizard because Ray gets V-Create)

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Quick question, though: what type does this thing become after a Roost? lol
As per gen 6 mechanics, it becomes Normal-type. Interesting set overall, I'd complain about Hurricane's shaky accuracy, but I suppose having Hurricane as your STAB is better than having no STAB at all.

I'd like to nominate Ursaring to B-/B rank with Mega Lucario and Linoone as donors.

Ursaring @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Crunch / Agility
- Swords Dance

Ursaring @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Substitute / Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Ursaring has the highest attack of any Normal type that isn't banned or a mega, hitting a whooping 394 attack stat. In this meta, having strong priority is a must, and the power Ursaring can dish out with a 80 BP move is pretty nice.

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 166-196 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 187-222 (54.8 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's insane. It outdamages Mega Glalie and Mega Altaria, and is pretty close to Mega Pinsir's damage output. Though if you want to factor in Adaptability with the SD set, you have this a damage output very close to LO Refrigerate Weavile's Return.

So it hits super hard, next lets get to the sets. The first one being an SD set inheriting from Mega Lucario, gives it Adaptability, which ups its priority's power even more. Close Combat is to hit the plenty of Steel and Rock types in the tier, as well as slow bulky Normals. SD is SD, increasing Ursaring's sweeping potential. Finally, Crunch can be used to hit Ghost types, which would otherwise wall you, while Agility, which seems like a weird option on a set when you have Extreme Speed as your main move, but this allows you to out prioritize the other E-Speeders, mainly Pinsir and Glalie.

Secondly the Belly Drum set is mainly what comes to mind when you see Ursaring in Inheritance. Everything you see is what you would expect, with Substitute being an option to dodge status and/or get up a safe Belly Drum, but Shadow Claw can be used if you have trouble with Ghosts.

But Ursaring isn't without faults, it has pretty bad bulk, so whatever can live a boosted Extreme Speed can probably revenge it(though that isn't a lot). Plus with its low speed, it is often out prioritized by the other E-Speeders in the tier without Agility, which can be hard to pull off with its low bulk. It has a hard time setting up vs. Offense, and status can cripple it if it doesn't have Sub, and tbh it's kinda ugly.
But I'm not advocating for the new S rank, just B- or B, as while Ursaring has flaws, it still can be a nightmare to unprepared teams, and can be hard to build for, so I feel it should be in the upper rankings.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I'd like to nominate Ursaring to B-/B rank with Mega Lucario and Linoone as donors.

Ursaring @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Crunch / Agility
- Swords Dance

Ursaring @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Seed Bomb

Ursaring has the highest attack of any Normal type that isn't banned or a mega, hitting a whooping 394 attack stat. In this meta, having strong priority is a must, and the power Ursaring can dish out with a 80 BP move is pretty nice.

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 166-196 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 187-222 (54.8 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's insane. It outdamages Mega Glalie and Mega Altaria, and is pretty close to Mega Pinsir's damage output. Though if you want to factor in Adaptability with the SD set, you have this a damage output very close to LO Refrigerate Weavile's Return.

So it hits super hard, next lets get to the sets. The first one being an SD set inheriting from Mega Lucario, gives it Adaptability, which ups its priority's power even more. Close Combat is to hit the plenty of Steel and Rock types in the tier, as well as slow bulky Normals. SD is SD, increasing Ursaring's sweeping potential. Finally, Crunch can be used to hit Ghost types, which would otherwise wall you, while Agility, which seems like a weird option on a set when you have Extreme Speed as your main move, but this allows you to out prioritize the other E-Speeders, mainly Pinsir and Glalie.

Secondly the Belly Drum set is mainly what comes to mind when you see Ursaring in Inheritance. Everything you see is what you would expect, with Substitute being an option to dodge status and/or get up a safe Belly Drum, but Shadow Claw can be used if you have trouble with Ghosts.

But Ursaring isn't without faults, it has pretty bad bulk, so whatever can live a boosted Extreme Speed can probably revenge it(though that isn't a lot). Plus with its low speed, it is often out prioritized by the other E-Speeders in the tier without Agility, which can be hard to pull off with its low bulk. It has a hard time setting up vs. Offense, and status can cripple it if it doesn't have Sub, and tbh it's kinda ugly.
But I'm not advocating for the new S rank, just B- or B, as while Ursaring has flaws, it still can be a nightmare to unprepared teams, and can be hard to build for, so I feel it should be in the upper rankings.
lets also not forget its the strongest espeeder factoring in life orb+adapt while not taking up a valuable mega slot. which is huge considering the best espeeder competition it has are all megas which means they can invest in a non espeeder mega if they desire. or they can run pinsir with it, to create a powerful espeed core that many teams have difficulty with.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

Ursaring @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Crunch / Agility
- Swords Dance

Ursaring @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Seed Bomb

One of the main reasons to run Shadow Claw is to hit most Steels neutrally, as well as the main defensive wall (Doublade) for SE damage. It is a really powerful Extremespeeder that both doesn't take up your Mega slot and actually hits harder than the Megas due to LO+Adapt or after a Belly Drum. I agree with B Rank for it.

Gimmick coming through!
Ninjask @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Baton Pass
- Switcheroo
- Filler (Encore, Healing Wish, Toxic, Heal Bell, etc)
This set inherits from Lopunny. Primary purpose is Klutz+Trick with AV, which cripples a ton of stuff. Baton Pass allows it to escape to Switcheroo another day, Fake Out is for chip damage, and the filler move lets it perform something needed. You could probably adjust the EV spread a little but honestly this thing isn't going to be living a hit anyway.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Gimmick coming through!
Ninjask @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Baton Pass
- Switcheroo
- Filler (Encore, Healing Wish, Toxic, Heal Bell, etc)
This set inherits from Lopunny. Primary purpose is Klutz+Trick with AV, which cripples a ton of stuff. Baton Pass allows it to escape to Switcheroo another day, Fake Out is for chip damage, and the filler move lets it perform something needed. You could probably adjust the EV spread a little but honestly this thing isn't going to be living a hit anyway.
to be honest, i question why you don't use something with a bit more offensive capability like...terrakion/raikou,or heck, even jolteon. they are able to threaten defensive pokemon considerably even with the vest being tricked away via high jump kick/boltbeam. and can lure plenty of pokemon that your team could potentially want crippled like doublade/aegislash/chansey, and its not a sitting duck vs offense. ninjask might be fast...but what do you intend to outspeed? well, i guess encorepass is a reason, but otherwise, id imagine using something more offensive could be helpful or just flat out better. doesn't help that the most common setup sweepers have a way around encore with STAB priority lmao, but hey, if it works, it works.

to be honest, i question why you don't use something with a bit more offensive capability like...terrakion/raikou,or heck, even jolteon. they are able to threaten defensive pokemon considerably even with the vest being tricked away via high jump kick/boltbeam. and can lure plenty of pokemon that your team could potentially want crippled like doublade/aegislash/chansey, and its not a sitting duck vs offense. ninjask might be fast...but what do you intend to outspeed? well, i guess encorepass is a reason, but otherwise, id imagine using something more offensive could be helpful or just flat out better. doesn't help that the most common setup sweepers have a way around encore with STAB priority lmao, but hey, if it works, it works.
That's probably a better idea, honestly - I just used Ninjask since it's got the highest base speed in the metagame. My set's more of a theorymon - i haven't played too many games with it, just enough to see if it could actually do its job decently. Which it sort of did, albeit without much longevity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)