Unpopular opinions

Kittttten:
What's New Is Old: "Nostalgia" is a bit of a loose concept, what one sees as nostalgia another may not. Has he ever played Platinum (or a Gen IV game)? If not then of course he'll have no nostagia for it. I would say Platinum is worth checking out, if anything but for historical significance and to hear the Sinnoh story. Gen VI isn't really that set apart from Gen V graphics wise (Gen V used more 3D, though it was mostly for display. Though I would say Platinum has a pretty impressive 3D location with the Distortion World), they were on the handheld. At the same time I'd also suggest them playing HGSS since they were the inbetween game and have much to offer themselves (they're also probably the most recent Johto/Kanto game we're going to get in a long time unless they plan on making a whole new line of remakes just because we're in a new timeline).
Rocket Plan: Capturing Meloetta was more Giovanni than the Rocket Trio (though he did it in an awesome way by threatening to crush Ash and Pikachu to death if it didn't submit). For the Rocket Trio I more remember the Nimbasa Plan. First Meowth infiltrates Ash & co., Jessie & James hack the subway system, and it all comes together with TR stealing all the Pokemon at the Pokemon Center (+ Ash & co.'s) using the subway (an a few tricks to keep them ahead).
I liked the Nimbasa plan as well, however he hasn't played Platinum or any Gen IV games. He's lame that way.

Actually, in Gen I Psychic was immune to Ghost because Gen I was a broken piece of shit. Ghost was decidedly not anti-Psychic.
All the media said it was supposed to be. We had strategy guides and Pokemon episodes that said it should have been. I believe it was just a horrible horrible programming oversight (I can see them originally making ghost immune to psychic but someone just had a mild bit of dyslexia when programming). It didn't help that there were literally only two damaging moves for Ghosts in Gen 1 - a rather weak move and one with fixed damage (which hit normal and psychic types in Gen 1)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Well actually you are or you aren't, this is unpopular opinion afterall (though being you're on a forum specifically for Pokemon (and not even just for normal discussion, Smogon is mainly competitive which I would think is a niche) and had made over 5k post makes me question).

And before anyone say anything, I don't really care if people do or don't like Pokemon. Everyone has their own tastes and I can see how Pokemon wouldn't be to someone's fancy. I just ask people to respect each other's opinions (I know, I'm on the internet, but still).

I never liked Greninja and Aegislash. Nothing about their design screams "cool" or "badass" to me. Greninja is just a Naruto wannabe who uses its tongue as a scarf while Aegislash is just an animate sword and shield. Not exactly things that appeal to me. Furthermore, their obvious OP-ness and the fact that people were whoring these two Pokemon in every team makes me hate them even more and I was a happy man when both got their rightly-deserved ban to Ubers.

I never liked Greninja and Aegislash. Nothing about their design screams "cool" or "badass" to me. Greninja is just a Naruto wannabe who uses its tongue as a scarf while Aegislash is just an animate sword and shield. Not exactly things that appeal to me. Furthermore, their obvious OP-ness and the fact that people were whoring these two Pokemon in every team makes me hate them even more and I was a happy man when both got their rightly-deserved ban to Ubers.
That sounds like me with Talonflame. It really doesn't have a great design in my opinion. It looks kind of meh. But at the same time I can't go more than 3 battles without spotting at least one. No matter the format (where it's legal in that is)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I have a strange feeling -- I hate it when people use Mega Kangaskhan, but I also use it because it seems like there's no choice.
I'm sort of glad that Mega Lopunny is a counter, but it's not really that viable.

I have a strange feeling -- I hate it when people use Mega Kangaskhan, but I also use it because it seems like there's no choice.
I'm sort of glad that Mega Lopunny is a counter, but it's not really that viable.
Since I don't enounter Mega Kanga often (when I fight random people, the Mega they use are either Lucario or Charizard if XY, Lati@s or Rayquaza if ORAS, or Blaziken in general, and that's just PSS. I don't play much VGC and I rarely play Ubers), I don't have much feeling against it, but I feel very similarly about Primal Groudon. This thing is tough to take down with OU or lower Pokémon, even if it is poorly trained by Uber noobs. The only thing I have that can fight it one-on-one is Mega Slowbro, and that's only if I have a few Calm Minds up.

Gen 6 was the worst gen by FAR. ORAS was OK, seeing as RSE are some of my favorite games, but X and Y sucked.

Le List of Complaints:

XY:
These games were so bland! They had a crappy storyline, and don't even get me started on Team Flare! They were the worst evil team ever, by a long shot. Their main goal was to destroy the world. Not something cool like stealing Pokemon or making more land. Just destroying the world. The whole PR video thing sucked, too. And I really did not like the Friend Safari. You could only catch 3 Pokemon per friend, and there was hardly any variety of what would be in your safari.

ORAS:
These games were pretty good. I like to see the diverse world of Hoenn reimagined in 3D. I do not like, however, that Mauville City was indoors. I liked it just the way it was originally, outdoors! It was flawless! Game Freak just HAD to change that, though. They took away PR videos and the Friend Safari, which was good. But then there was NO BATTLE FRONTIER. That was one of the biggest things I looked forward to in this game! All we got was the Battle Maison, ripped straight from X and Y.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ORAS:
These games were pretty good. I like to see the diverse world of Hoenn reimagined in 3D. I do not like, however, that Mauville City was indoors. I liked it just the way it was originally, outdoors! It was flawless! Game Freak just HAD to change that, though. They took away PR videos and the Friend Safari, which was good. But then there was NO BATTLE FRONTIER. That was one of the biggest things I looked forward to in this game! All we got was the Battle Maison, ripped straight from X and Y.
Honestly I'm not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is - I don't know anyone who was glad the Battle Frontier was gone, and I've seen plenty of people comment on how they wanted to see it in ORAS and were disappointed it wasn't.

I kind of agree on your XY points, as I didn't really like it that much, but I'm honestly not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is. Well, just so I have something unpopular that I don't think I've said: I didn't really like Kanto region only games :(

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't like single battles. I just think the strategies are much more dynamic and creative in Doubles and Triples. I don't know much about Rotation battles though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gen 6 was the worst gen by FAR. ORAS was OK, seeing as RSE are some of my favorite games, but X and Y sucked.

Le List of Complaints:

XY:
These games were so bland! They had a crappy storyline, and don't even get me started on Team Flare! They were the worst evil team ever, by a long shot. Their main goal was to destroy the world. Not something cool like stealing Pokemon or making more land. Just destroying the world. The whole PR video thing sucked, too. And I really did not like the Friend Safari. You could only catch 3 Pokemon per friend, and there was hardly any variety of what would be in your safari.

ORAS:
Team Flare: While I generally agree Team Flare is one of the worst if not the worst team, it's not because of their goals per se. Yeah, in the end Lysandre wanted to kill everyone but the humans of Team Flare and make themselves immortal, but I personally think they explained it in a way that it makes sense that to an extremist this would make sense if their concern was the continued survival and happiness of the human race (though only a very small amount of it, and there's plenty of logical fallacies which some were addressed and Lysandre just ignored). To me the problem with Team Flare was their goal and theme had almost nothing to do with each other. They intentionally act in an exaggerated way, they wear a bright orange/red suit and sunglasses and talk about how fashionable they are, many are money seekers when you first encounter them... and then you meet their leader Lysandre who is serious and plans on committing mass genocide due to him believing in a Malthusian Catastrophe. It feels like they had two ideas for Gen VI villains they really liked and so decided to combine them together but instead of it going together like chocolate and peanut butter it went together like chocolate and fish.
Mauville City: I kind of like the stark contrast between Mauville City becoming Hoenn's super urbanized area while the rest of Hoenn is more natural. It provided an interesting area we haven't really seen in Pokemon before (an apartment complex, which doesn't sound that interesting though Mauville combining it with a market on floor level and having plenty of interesting people you can visit in the apartments I think makes up for that and hope a concept they explore even more of in the future). True they were a bit lazy by shoving all the Move Tutors and Items needed to certain Legendary Pokemon in there (not to mention the camera and map not being helpful), but I feel that was done for convenience sake on the developer's part and had they have more planning time maybe would have done more.

I personally like Rotation Battle, though I rarely play them. I think it is a very interesting twist on Singles since there are two Pokémon you can freely switch in and attack at any time, though your opponent knows what they are. Makes for more options without actually increasing the number of active Pokémon.
I don't like single battles. I just think the strategies are much more dynamic and creative in Doubles and Triples. I don't know much about Rotation battles though.
Yeah, Rotation Battle is pretty interesting, especially when all 3 Pokemon are different types meaning you can never really garuntee you'll do a super effective move or you'll be switching into a situation where you may have the advantage or disadvantage. I think out of all the battles its the one that allow for the most mind games as you know at least 3 of your opponent's Pokemon but unlike a Single Battle at any moment they can switch to any of those 3 Pokemon and attack with them so there's no "free hit" (unless they decide to actually switch out).
So with that said it is a bit disappointing that they don't do much with it or its twin battling style, Triple Battles. I wouldn't mind if they added more trainer battles that were Rotational and Triple Battles. I'm not saying don't go overboard with it of course, but having just as many as there are Double Battles would help make them more prevalent. Also it wouldn't hurt for them to maybe try to have Gym Battles (and maybe other important characters like Elite Four, Champion, Rivals, and Villains) use alternate battling styles, while I prefer Singles as it feels like you're going mano a mano (with your Pokemon) against your opponent, the Gym Leaders are suppose to be challenging and having alternate battling styles I think would test the player's skills.

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yay for more Triple / Double / Rotation / Horde / Air Battles ! Diversity = More Fun
They probably should have made Winona a Sky Battle just to mess with people (it'll at least justify giving us a free Latios/Latias, something we can rely on if we don't have a Pokemon that can go up against Winona). :P

However I'm sad we never got to face the Striaton Triplets in a Triple Battle. Sure there's no such thing as a Triple Tag Battle, but you could have made them all one trainer and just have them use only their Signature Pokemon (or program it so that after knocking out their second Pokemon they don't send out one of the brother's other Pokemon, sort of like how they do Double Battles for NPCs with multiple Pokemon). Anyway, even in BW2 where you'd think them being no longer Gym Leaders they could do something like Triple Battles, right? NOPE! Instead they do Double Battles where you team up with one of the triplets which I'll admit a neat concept... but I want my Triple Battle!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I firmly believe that Nintendo handheld consoles are just expensive Pokemon-training devices. Any other game in the Nintendo library is just fluff.
Whoa, I'm gonna have to stand up here for Yoshi's island for the gameboy advance, that game is amazing. Oh, and smash 4 was worthwhile until it came out for the Wii-U I guess.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I firmly believe that Nintendo handheld consoles are just expensive Pokemon-training devices. Any other game in the Nintendo library is just fluff.
WHAT?! I'd say that most of the handhelds had a nice library of games that wasn't just Pokemon:

Gameboy: Pokemon Gen I & II (& Pinball & Puzzle League), Tetris, Legend of Zelda (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages), Super Mario Land games, Metroid: Return of Samus, Kirby's Dream Land, Shantae, Wario Land, & Others
Gameboy Advance: Pokemon Gen III (& Pinball RS & Mystery Dungeon), LoZ: Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion & Zero Mission, Mario Kart Super Circuit, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy Tactics, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Wario Land 4, Advance Wars, Sonic Advance, Megaman Battle Network, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, & Others
Nintendo DS: Pokemon Gen IV & V (& Mystery Dungeon & Ranger & Conquest), New Super Mario Bros., Mario & Luigi Partners In Time, LoZ: Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks, Nintendogs, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days & RE:Coded, Spectrobes, Okamiden, Kirby Super Star Ultra & Canvas Curse, Rhythm Heaven, Brain Age, Scribblenauts, 999, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton, Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Mario Kart DS, Mario Party DS, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Tetris DS, & Others
Nintendo 3DS: Pokemon Gen VI, Mario 3D Land, LoZ: Link Between Worlds, Luigi Mansion Dark Moon, Bravely Default, Super Smash Bros for 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pushmo, Zero Escape, & Others

And these are just a few quick examples I pulled. I tried not to include ports and I missed many sequels that were on other handhelds. I'm also missing a lot of franchises. Honestly I have no set rule to my list, though if you check google for "Best Gameboy/GBA/DS/3DS games" they'll pick up the slack.

HOWEVER! I will agree that the 2DS was released specifically to help increase the sells of Pokemon X & Y. It was released on the same day & some special ones even had Pokemon X & Y downloaded on them (and I think even designed after Xerneas and Yveltal).

ORAS was meh to me. The graphics were an improvement over XY, the story was much better than R/S/E, but I've been there before, done that before. I've played the storyline for R/S/E at least 3 times each. A few new megas are the main reason I play ORAS instead of XY, as well as nostalgia. But think about it: a lot of us have been there, done that. Also, XY locations were more convenient. The infinite loop for hatching eggs in XY is easy to find (and won't break as often), the move deleter and relearner are in the same location in XY, and you have to rely on far fewer HMs in XY. Let's not forget all the Audino trainers in the Battle Chateau, either.

Also, I strongly dislike hackers. I work hard to put a team together from the egg up, and they just press a button to spit out a fully trained team.

Reactions: JES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)