RU Emboar

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

killer bacon
QC: atomicllamas / Arikado / 49
GP: GatoDelFuego / SM979

Overview
########

Emboar is one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier thanks to its ability Reckless. This ability significantly powers up Emboar's main STAB move, Flare Blitz, allowing it to hit extremely hard even against resisted targets. Apart from its excellent STAB type combination, Emboar has a solid offensive movepool with coverage options such as Wild Charge and Sucker Punch. Emboar's typing allows it to check common offensive threats such as Durant, Doublade, Escavalier, and Houndoom. In addition, Emboar sports a fair amount of versatility, as it can use a Choice Band to wallbreak, a Choice Scarf to revenge kill faster threats, as well as a defensive set to take advantage of its unique typing. However, common Water-types such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Alomomola prevent Emboar from continually spamming its strongest attacks. Unfortunately, Emboar has a fairly average Speed stat, leaving it outsped by common offensive Pokemon such as Meloetta, Delphox, and Mesprit; Emboar is also quickly worn down by Flare Blitz recoil and entry hazards.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Sucker Punch / Sleep Talk
ability: Reckless
item: Choice Band / Expert Belt
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is an extremely powerful STAB move backed by Reckless, and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Superpower is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum for solid damage. Superpower also hits Houndoom, which can potentially switch into a Flare Blitz and gain a Flash Fire boost. Wild Charge provides important coverage on bulky Water-types, particularly Alomomola and Slowking. Sucker Punch alleviates Emboar's lackluster Speed as a form of priority, hitting faster Pokemon such as Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Dugtrio. Sleep Talk can be used to switch into Amoonguss's Spore, but having the utility of Sucker Punch tends to be more useful.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, with maximum Attack investment to hit as hard as possible and maximum Speed investment to outspeed the majority of defensive Pokemon. An Adamant nature is used for the significant boost in power, but a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed threats such as neutral-natured Exploud, Samurott, and Tyrantrum. Reckless is Emboar's best ability, providing a heavy boost in power to Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Choice Band amplifies Emboar's wallbreaking ability, while an Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice item.

Usage Tips
========

Flare Blitz is generally the best move to go for, as it deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it and still puts a hefty chunk in bulky Pokemon such as Slowking. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit the respective target, such as using Wild Charge on a predicted switch into a bulky Water-type such as Qwilfish, Slowking, Alomomola, or Pelipper. Emboar does a solid job of forcing out various Bug-, Dark-, and Steel-types such as Durant, Houndoom, Doublade, and Escavalier, but Emboar is not the most reliable switch-in to them in fear of losing its item or taking a heavy hit.

Team Options
========

Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Meloetta, and Reuniclus appreciate Emboar's ability to check and consistently pressure Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types. Mesprit is a notable partner that provides Stealth Rock support to wear down Emboar's switch-ins as well as Healing Wish to heal Emboar after it has taken damage from attacks and Flare Blitz recoil. Setup sweepers such as Mega Abomasnow, Doublade, and Durant make for good teammates, as they appreciate Emboar's incredible wallbreaking ability. A slow Volt Switch or U-turn from the likes of Lanturn, Rotom-C, Cobalion, and Whimsicott is helpful to get Emboar in safely. Whimsicott is a notable partner, as in addition to providing a slow U-turn, it can deter setup sweepers with the threat of its Prankster Encore, such as keeping Slurpuff or Tyrantrum from taking advantage of Emboar locked into an unfavorable move.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that OHKOes or at least deals massive damage to the offensive Pokemon that Choice Scarf Emboar is used to revenge kill such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Dugtrio. Superpower is a secondary STAB move that targets Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, and also has the added benefit of not having recoil damage. Wild Charge hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking, Alomomola, and Pelipper, but it is fairly weak without a boosting item. Sleep Talk is mainly just filler, but it can be used to pivot into a Spore from Amoonguss and fire off an attack.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon with maximum Attack and Speed investment to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed threats such as Dugtrio, Whimsicott, and Durant. Reckless is the preferred ability to boost the power of Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Usage Tips
========

With a Choice Scarf equipped, Emboar acts as a great revenge killer to threats such as Dugtrio, Houndoom, Durant, Cobalion, and Virizion, and should be played as such. Flare Blitz is generally the best attack to go for, as even Pokemon that resist it take a hefty chunk of damage. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit their targets, such as using Superpower on a predicted switch into Rhyperior, Houndoom, or Tyrantrum aiming to absorb a Flare Blitz. Despite resisting their STAB moves, Emboar should avoid switching into the likes of Escavalier and Shiftry, as losing its item to Knock Off is extremely detrimental because Emboar would no longer be able to revenge the threats it is supposed to.

Team Options
========

As this set works best as a late-game cleaner, wallbreakers such as Tyrantrum, Clawitzer, and Mega Abomasnow pair well with it. Psychic-types in general make for solid partners, as they greatly appreciate Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Steel-, and Bug-types. Mesprit is a notable one, as it provides Healing Wish support to heal Emboar after it has been weakened from Flare Blitz recoil. Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn are good teammates to bring Emboar in safely, such as Lanturn, Meloetta, and Liepard.

Big Pig (Defensive)
########
name: Big Pig (Defensive)
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples the physical attackers that Emboar checks such as Drapion, Durant, Doublade, and Escavalier, and has the added benefit of racking up residual damage on switch-ins. Superpower is a decently strong secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, as well as Houndoom and Mega Abomasnow. Hammer Arm is an alternate choice in this slot for a slightly weaker and less accurate Fighting-type move that should be used if the Attack and Defense drops from Superpower are unwelcome. Flare Blitz targets the Steel-types Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Doublade, and Durant, while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets in general. Protect scouts for Choice-locked attackers such as Meloetta, Tyrantrum, Rotom-C, and can block Hitmonlee and Medicham's High Jump Kick. However, Roar is another option to phaze setup sweepers such as Fletchinder, Drapion, Durant, and Cobalion and racks up entry hazard damage. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Alomomola, and works well in tandem with Protect.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defensive investment with an Impish nature bolsters Emboar's decent natural bulk, allowing it to handle physical attackers. However, a specially defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD can be used to better handle threats such as offensive Whimsicott, Tangrowth, and Houndoom. The choice ability is relatively arbitrary, as they both are meant for offensive roles, but Reckless is more useful, as the boost to Flare Blitz is more worthwhile than the benefits from Blaze. Leftovers is necessary for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into the Pokemon Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Durant, Doublade, Durant, and Mega Abomasnow. While Emboar might be able to comfortable handle their STAB moves, it is often wise to first scout for coverage moves such as a Drill Run from Escavalier, Earthquake from Mega Abomasnow, and Superpower from Durant. Will-O-Wisp is generally the safest attack to go for early on, as it cripples most of Emboar's typical switch-ins and provides a bit of a surprise factor due to the uncommon nature of this set. Use Protect to scout for potential Choice item Pokemon users or to block a High Jump Kick from Hitmonlee or Medicham. Note that even without Special Defense investment, Emboar can act as an emergency check to Nasty Plot Houndoom on defensive teams, so it is important to keep Emboar healthy to handle it or other threats.

Team Options
========

This set fits best on semi-stall or stall teams due to its defensive nature. As such, Wish support from the likes of Alomomola, Aromatisse, and (Mega) Audino is very helpful because Emboar lacks any recovery outside of Leftovers. The latter two also provide cleric support to rid Emboar of unwanted status conditions. Psychic-type checks are necessary as teammates, as Emboar is greatly threatened by Calm Mind Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, especially if Emboar is not packing Roar. Thus, Pokemon such as Escavalier, Mega Steelix, and Reuniclus make for good teammates. Swords Dance Escavalier tends to fit on the defensive teams that this set would be found on and can set up on the Psychic-types that are thorns in Emboar's side. Reuniclus appreciates Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types, and also sets up on the likes of Cresselia and Slowking.

Other Options
########

A mixed set with Superpower, Fire Blast, Sucker Punch, and Grass Knot plays as a wallbreaker in a slightly different way, but is significantly weaker with Blaze over Reckless. Flame Charge can be used as an alternate way to alleviate Emboar's lackluster Speed. Bulk Up boosts Emboar's Attack and Defense, but Emboar struggles to fit it into a moveset. Endeavor cripples bulky Pokemon after Emboar has been brought down to low HP, and also works well in tandem with Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

**Residual Damage**: Emboar is quickly worn down from entry hazards, potential poison damage, and Flare Blitz recoil, which is generally its main attack.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Delphox, Meloetta, and Mesprit can revenge kill non-Choice Scarf Emboar with ease. However, none of these can switch in, especially if Stealth Rock is up. Note that all of these Pokemon must be wary of a Sucker Punch from Expert Belt Emboar. Fletchinder OHKOes Emboar with Acrobatics and can take advantage of Choice Scarf Emboar locked into Superpower in order to set up a Swords Dance. In most cases, non-Choice Scarf Emboar is usually outsped by most opposing offensive Pokemon.

**Bulky Resists**: Bulky Water- and Rock-type Pokemon such as Quagsire, Slowking, Alomomola, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Regirock can switch into some of Emboar's STAB moves, but must be wary of coverage moves. Alomomola takes a massive amount of damage from a Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge, but has no trouble taking a Flare Blitz or Superpower. Physically defensive Slowking can switch in at full HP, but has a decent chance to be OHKOed by Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge after Stealth Rock damage. Rhyperior and Regirock deter Emboar from spamming Flare Blitz, but must be cautious of Superpower.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
On BigPig I feel like Reckless Flare Blitz is more important than Protect and Roar, so maybe make it look like this:

Will-O-Wisp
Superpower
Flare Blitz
Protect / Roar

also, on CB / Scarf I feel like Sleep Talk is more important than Head Smash so you don't literally kill yourself after two uses, haha; it's also, coincidentally, a great switch-in to Amoonguss with the move

maybe mention EQ in Moves for All-Out Attacker?

finally, flame charge is cool in OO to act as a Scarf set with the power of LO

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sleep talk > head smash on scarf

Sucker > head smash on all out attacker

mention hammer arm in moves of Big Pig as an option over Super Power if you don't want defense drops

QC 1/3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sleep talk > head smash on scarf

Sucker > head smash on all out attacker

mention hammer arm in moves of Big Pig as an option over Super Power if you don't want defense drops

QC 1/3
Did that, thanks.
Putting sucker over head smash on the first set seems a bit odd, because then by logic LO would be first item (seems like the suboptimal choice to me as it just stacks up on the reocil), but I guess thats alright.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
eh I'm shaky about using Sleep Talk for Amoonguss.. even if you switch into Spore and then use Sleep Talk, there's a 2/3 chance you'll not do much at all, but I guess if people are willing to take the 1/3 chance or if opponent would be scared of that and switch out... or whatever lol

Pivot into dark and steel-types such as escavalier, houndoom, and durant to get off an attack.
Shaky on this point. You don't want pig taking damage and Escavalier can knock off its band/Drill Run/CB Iron Head, Houndoom has a chance of 2HKOing after SR with LO Fire Blast, and dark-types with knock off will knock off its item anyway. so yeah, I think you're better off removing this cuz i dont think it should be switching into much. Maybe what you could write is that it forces them out, but can't directly switch in for the reasons stated.

In set details of the scarf set mention it doesn't outspeed Jolteon and the bunch, while outspeeding Dugtrio (and mega pidgeot if it stays)

Unsure of big pig cuz i've never seen it/used it but I'll leave that to other QC members

beef up c&c a tad bit, remove pelipper, add fletchinder, add physically defensive slowking (Can switch in at full but mention it's a 43% chance to OHKO with SR + banded wild charge) and under "Fast Attackers" mention that unless it's scarf it's usually gonna be outsped against offensive teams and killed.

QC Approved 2/3

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is no reason to even use head smash though, I can't think of anything it hits harder than Emboar's other moves. Also smh ari sleep talk boar is only boar.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah it seems Earthquake is a better replacement for Head Smash on the All-Out Attacker set; it hits Dragalge which otherwise resist all your moves, and is a good 'safe move' to throw out in the event that you don't want to rack up recoil damage on yourself as you hit resisted switch-ins.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Alright, so I've implemented everything but I'm confused about the EQ thing. If EQ is slashed after sucker punch on the first set, then both of those moves are pretty ass to be locked into and maybe the item should be only life orb and ditch choice band.
Also, should I just get rid of head smash entirely?
edit: removed head smash from scarf, just not sure about it on the first set.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
ebelt > lo

recoil moves + lo is such ugh
and makes this thing rlly easy to play around

non-choiced wallbreaker goes better with ebelt, and it has the added benefit of bluffing a choice item which can get a surprise kill given the right circumstances

cb should be the first slash tho

add bulk up and endeavor to other options

jolly, non-scarf boar outpaces neutral natured 'rott, exploud, and tyrantrum, which should be noted on first set. idt roar is v.good on emboar at all, frankly, and is probably better off as a quick moves mention, you should also address spdef spreads on big pig, which allow it to counter 'growth and check whimsicott better, in addition to the obvious of handling doomer. phys.def should still be main here, since it handles bugs and doesn't fold to duggy as easily, but it's a notable boon.

3/3

Also give Custap Berry a mention in OO ad Emboar gets to range pretty easily with hazards and recoil and is a cool choiced bluff item, quite hilarious when it works hahaha

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Aldo give Custap Berry a mention in OO ad Emboar gets to range pretty easily with hazards and recoil and is a cool choiced bluff item, quite hilarious when it works hahaha
I asked 49 about that recently and he said I shouldnt mention it anywhere :s
I'll wait for more input on that since there isnt an agreement.
moving to gp tho

Oh w/e then
Earthquake probably deserves OO mention even tho spirit has a point on ground moves blablabla things

There is also Overheat to OHKO Doublade after SR 100% of the time with Choice Scarf (Flare does about 80 max) that probably deserves a word too but is not particularly great

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
boltsandbombers

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Emboar has turned into is one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier after gaining it's thanks to its hidden ability, Reckless. This ability significantly powers up Emboar's main STAB move, Flare Blitz, allowing it Flare Blitz to hit extremely hard even on against resisted targets. Apart from its excellent STAB type combination, Emboar has a solid offensive movepool with coverage options such as Wild Charge and Sucker Punch. Emboar's typing allows it to check common offensive threats such as Durant, Doublade, Escavalier, and Houndoom. In addition, Emboar sports a fair amount of versatility, as it can use a Choice Band to wallbreak, a Choice Scarf to revenge kill faster threats, as well as a defensive set to take advantage of its unique typing. However, common Water-types in the tier such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Alomomola prevent Emboar from continually spamming its strongest attacks. Unfortunately, Emboar has a fairly average Speed stat, leaving it outsped by common offensive Pokemon such as Meloetta, Delphox, and Mesprit; and Emboar is also quickly worn down by Flare Blitz recoil and entry hazards.

All-Out Attacker
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is an extremely powerful STAB move backed by Reckless, and deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it. Superpower is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum for solid damage. Superpower also hits Houndoom, which can potentially switch into a Flare Blitz and gain a Flash Fire boost. Wild Charge provides important coverage on bulky Water-types, particularly Alomomola and Slowking. Sucker Punch alleviates Emboar's lackluster Speed as a form of priority, hitting faster Pokemon such as Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Dugtrio. Sleep Talk can be used to switch into Amoonguss's Spore, but having the utility of Sucker Punch tends to be more useful.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, with maximum Attack investment to hit as hard as possible and maximum Speed investment to outspeed the majority of defensive Pokemon. An Adamant nature is used for the significant boost in power, but a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed threats such as neutral-natured Exploud, Samurott, and Tyrantrum Are all these neutral-natured? If not, rearrange to put Exploud at the end of the list. Reckless is Emboar's best ability, providing a heavy boost in power to Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Choice Band amplifies Emboar's wallbreaking ability, while an Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice item.

Usage Tips
========

Flare Blitz is generally the best move to go for, as it deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it and still puts a hefty chunk in some bulky resists Pokemon like Slowking. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit the respective target, such as in using Wild Charge on a predicted switch into a bulky Water-types such as Qwilfish, Slowking, Alomomola, or Pelipper. Emboar does a solid job of forcing out various Bug-, Dark-, and Steel-types such as Durant, Houndoom, Doublade, and Escavalier, but Emboar is not the most reliable switch-in to them in fear of losing its item or taking a heavy hit.

Team Options
========

Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Meloetta, and Reuniclus appreciate Emboar's ability to check and consistently pressure Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types. Mesprit is a notable partner that provides Stealth Rock support to wear down Emboar's switch-ins as well as Healing Wish to heal back up Emboar after it has taken damage from attacks and Flare Blitz recoil. Setup sweepers such as Mega Abomasnow, Doublade, and Durant make for good teammates as they appreciate Emboar's incredible wallbreaking ability. A slow Volt Switch or U-turn from the likes of Lanturn, Rotom-C, Cobalion, and Whimsicott is helpful to get Emboar in safely. Whimsicott is a notable partner as in addition to providing a slow U-turn, it can deter setup sweepers with the threat of its Prankster Encore, such as keeping Slurpuff or Tyrantrum from taking advantage of Emboar locked into an unfavorable move.

Choice Scarf
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that OHKOes or at least deals massive damage to the offensive Pokemon that Choice Scarf Emboar is used to revenge kill such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Dugtrio. Superpower is a secondary STAB move that targets Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, and also has the added benefit of not having recoil damage. Wild Charge hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking, Alomomola, and Pelipper, but it is fairly weak without a boosting item. Sleep Talk is mainly just filler, but it can be helpful used to pivot into a Spore from Amoonguss and fire off an attack.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon with maximum Attack and Speed investment to hit as hard as possible. A Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed threats such as Dugtrio, Whimsicott, and Durant. Reckless is the preferred ability to boost the power of Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Usage Tips
========

With a Choice Scarf equipped, Emboar acts as a great revenge killer to threats such as Dugtrio, Houndoom, Durant, Cobalion, and Virizion, (comma) and should be played as such. Flare Blitz is generally the best attack to go for, as even Pokemon that resist it take a hefty chunk of damage. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit their targets, such as using Superpower on a predicted switch into Rhyperior, Houndoom, or Tyrantrum aiming to absorb a Flare Blitz. Despite resisting their STAB moves, Emboar should avoid switching into the likes of Escavalier and Shiftry as losing its item to Knock Off is extremely detrimental since because Emboar would no longer be able to revenge the threats it is supposed to.

Team Options
========

As this set works best as a late-game cleaner, wallbreakers such as Tyrantrum, Clawitzer, and Mega Abomasnow pair well with it. Psychic-types in general make for solid partners as they greatly appreciate Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Steel-, and Bug-types. Mesprit is a notable one as it provides Healing Wish support to heal back Emboar after it Emboar has been weakened from Flare Blitz recoil. Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn are good teammates to bring Emboar in safely, so Pokemon such as Lanturn, Meloetta, and Liepard pair well.

Big Pig (Defensive)
########

Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples the physical attackers that Emboar checks such as Drapion, Durant, Doublade, and Escavalier, (comma) and also has the added benefit of racking up residual damage on switch-ins. Superpower is a decently strong secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, as well as Houndoom and Mega Abomasnow. Hammer Arm is an alternate choice in this slot for a slightly weaker and less accurate Fighting-type move that should be used if the Attack and Defense drops from Superpower are unwelcome. Flare Blitz targets the Steel-types Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Doublade, and Durant, while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets in general. Protect scouts for Choice-locked attackers such as Meloetta, Tyrantrum, Rotom-C, and can block Hitmonlee and Medicham's High Jump Kick. However, Roar is another option to phaze setup sweepers such as Fletchinder, Drapion, Durant, and Cobalion and racks up entry hazard damage. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Alomomola, and works well in tandem with Protect.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defensive investment with an Impish nature bolsters Emboar's decent natural bulk, allowing it to handle physical attackers. However, a specially defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD can be used to better handle threats such as offensive Whimsicott, Tangrowth, and Houndoom. bet The choice of ability is relatively arbitrary as they both are meant for offensive roles, but Reckless is more useful as the boost to Flare Blitz is more worthwhile than the benefits from Blaze. Leftovers is necessary for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into the Pokemon Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Durant, Doublade, Durant, and Mega Abomasnow. While Emboar may might be able to comfortable handle their STAB moves, it is often wise to first scout for coverage moves such as a Drill Run from Escavalier, Earthquake from Mega Abomasnow, and Superpower from Durant. Will-O-Wisp is generally the safest attack to go for early on, as it cripples most of Emboar's typical switch-ins and provides a bit of a surprise factor due to the uncommon nature of this set. Use protect to scout for potential Choice item Pokemon users or to block a High Jump Kick from Hitmonlee or Medicham. Note that even without Special Defense investment, Emboar can act as an emergency check to Nasty Plot Houndoom on defensive teams, so it is important to keep it healthy to handle it or other threats.

Team Options
========

This set fits best on semi-stall or stall based teams due to its defensive nature. As such, Wish support from the likes of Alomomola, Aromatisse, and (Mega) Audino is very helpful since because Emboar lacks any recovery outside of Leftovers. The latter two also provide cleric support to rid Emboar of unwanted status conditions. Psychic-type checks are necessary as teammates, as Emboar is greatly threatened by Calm Mind Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, especially if Emboar is not packing Roar. Thus, Pokemon such as Escavalier, Mega Steelix, and Reuniclus make for good teammates. Swords Dance Escavalier tends to fit on the defensive teams that this set would be found on and can set up on the Psychic-types that are thorns in Emboar's side. Reuniclus appreciates Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types, and also sets up on the likes of Cresselia and Slowking.

Other Options
########

A mixed set with Superpower, Fire Blast, Sucker Punch, and Grass Knot plays as a wallbreaker in a slightly different way, but is significantly weaker with Blaze over Reckless. Flame Charge can be used as an alternate way to alleviate Emboar's lackluster Speed. Bulk Up boosts Emboar's Attack and Defense, but Emboar struggles to fit it into a moveset. Endeavor cripples bulky Pokemon after Emboar has been brought down to low HP, and also works well in tandem with Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

**Residual Damage**: Emboar is quickly worn down from entry hazards, potential poison damage, and Flare Blitz recoil, which is generally its main attack to use.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Delphox, Meloetta, and Mesprit can revenge kill non-Choice Scarfed Emboar with ease. However, none of these can switch in, especially if Stealth Rock is up. Note that all of these Pokemon must be wary of a Sucker Punch from Expert Belt Emboar. Fletchinder OHKOes Emboar with Acrobatics and can take advantage of Choice Scarf Emboar locked into Superpower in order to set up a Swords Dance. In most cases, non-Choice Scarf Emboar is usually outsped by most opposing offensive Pokemon who have little trouble revenge killing it.

**Bulky Pokemon Resists**: Bulky Water- and Rock-type Pokemon such as Quagsire, Slowking, Alomomola, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Regirock can switch into some of Emboar's STAB moves, but must be wary of coverage moves. Alomomola takes a massive amount of damage from a Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge, but has no trouble taking a Flare Blitz or Superpower. Physically defensive Slowking can switch in at full HP, but has a decent chance to be OHKOed by Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge after Stealth Rock damage. Rhyperior and Regirock deter Emboar from spamming Flare Blitz, but must be cautious of Superpower.

1/2

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
GatoDelFuego how strongly do you feel about changing the last bit of c&c from bulky resists to bulky pokemon? I mean, unless it resists one of Emboar's STAB moves the pokemon is really going to struggle switching in. Can't really think of any mon that's used to check emboar which doesn't resists one of its stab moves.

Anyways, thanks for the check, will implement it when I get to a computer.

you don't use 'resists' as a noun is what he is getting at, "Bulky Pokemon that resist on of its moves" sounds clunky though so that's a good compromise

tehy

Banned deucer.
can't you use resistances though?

i sure hope you can because it's totally necessary for so many sentences not to sound clunky

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Implemented gp check, although left the last c&c section as is since I really dont agree with the change. If the second GP checker agrees with the change, I'll do it.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
standard colors
Overview
########

Emboar is one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier thanks to its hidden ability, (RC) Reckless. This ability significantly powers up Emboar's main STAB move, Flare Blitz, allowing Flare Blitz it to hit extremely hard even against resisted targets. Apart from its excellent STAB type combination, Emboar has a solid offensive movepool with coverage options such as Wild Charge and Sucker Punch. Emboar's typing allows it to check common offensive threats such as Durant, Doublade, Escavalier, and Houndoom. In addition, Emboar sports a fair amount of versatility, as it can use a Choice Band to wallbreak, a Choice Scarf to revenge kill faster threats, as well as a defensive set to take advantage of its unique typing. However, common Water-types in the tier such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Alomomola prevent Emboar from continually spamming its strongest attacks. Unfortunately, Emboar has a fairly average Speed stat, leaving it outsped by common offensive Pokemon such as Meloetta, Delphox, and Mesprit; Emboar is also quickly worn down by Flare Blitz recoil and entry hazards.

All-Out Attacker
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is standard for an offensive Pokemon, with maximum Attack investment to hit as hard as possible and maximum Speed investment to outspeed the majority of defensive Pokemon. An Adamant nature is used for the significant boost in power, but a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed threats such as neutral-natured Exploud, Samurott, and Tyrantrum. Reckless is Emboar's best ability, providing a heavy boost in power to Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Choice Band amplifies Emboar's wallbreaking ability, while an Expert Belt can be used to bluff a Choice item.

Usage Tips
========

Flare Blitz is generally the best move to go for, as it deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it and still puts a hefty chunk in some bulky Pokemon like such as Slowking. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit the respective target, such as using Wild Charge on a predicted switch into a bulky Water-type such as Qwilfish, Slowking, Alomomola, or Pelipper. Emboar does a solid job of forcing out various Bug-, Dark-, and Steel-types such as Durant, Houndoom, Doublade, and Escavalier, but Emboar is not the most reliable switch-in to them in fear of losing its item or taking a heavy hit.

Team Options
========

Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Meloetta, and Reuniclus appreciate Emboar's ability to check and consistently pressure Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types. Mesprit is a notable partner that provides Stealth Rock support to wear down Emboar's switch-ins as well as Healing Wish to heal Emboar after it has taken damage from attacks and Flare Blitz recoil. Setup sweepers such as Mega Abomasnow, Doublade, and Durant make for good teammates, (AC) as they appreciate Emboar's incredible wallbreaking ability. A slow Volt Switch or U-turn from the likes of Lanturn, Rotom-C, Cobalion, and Whimsicott is helpful to get Emboar in safely. Whimsicott is a notable partner, (AC) as in addition to providing a slow U-turn, it can deter setup sweepers with the threat of its Prankster Encore, such as keeping Slurpuff or Tyrantrum from taking advantage of Emboar locked into an unfavorable move.

Choice Scarf
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB move that OHKOes or at least deals massive damage to the offensive Pokemon that Choice Scarf Emboar is used to revenge kill such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Dugtrio. Superpower is a secondary STAB move that targets Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, and also has the added benefit of not having recoil damage. Wild Charge hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking, Alomomola, and Pelipper, but it is fairly weak without a boosting item. Sleep Talk is mainly just filler, but it can be used to pivot into a Spore from Amoonguss and fire off an attack.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

With a Choice Scarf equipped, Emboar acts as a great revenge killer to threats such as Dugtrio, Houndoom, Durant, Cobalion, and Virizion, and should be played as such. Flare Blitz is generally the best attack to go for, as even Pokemon that resist it take a hefty chunk of damage. Use the appropriate coverage move to hit their targets, such as using Superpower on a predicted switch into Rhyperior, Houndoom, or Tyrantrum aiming to absorb a Flare Blitz. Despite resisting their STAB moves, Emboar should avoid switching into the likes of Escavalier and Shiftry, (AC) as losing its item to Knock Off is extremely detrimental because Emboar would no longer be able to revenge the threats it is supposed to.

Team Options
========

As this set works best as a late-game cleaner, wallbreakers such as Tyrantrum, Clawitzer, and Mega Abomasnow pair well with it. Psychic-types in general make for solid partners, (AC) as they greatly appreciate Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Steel-, and Bug-types. Mesprit is a notable one, (AC) as it provides Healing Wish support to heal Emboar after Emboar it has been weakened from Flare Blitz recoil. Pokemon with Volt Switch or U-turn are good teammates to bring Emboar in safely, such as Lanturn, Meloetta, and Liepard.

Big Pig (Defensive)
########

Moves
========

Will-O-Wisp cripples the physical attackers that Emboar checks such as Drapion, Durant, Doublade, and Escavalier, and has the added benefit of racking up residual damage on switch-ins. Superpower is a decently strong secondary STAB move that hits Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Tyrantrum, as well as Houndoom and Mega Abomasnow. Hammer Arm is an alternate choice in this slot for a slightly weaker and less accurate Fighting-type move that should be used if the Attack and Defense drops from Superpower are unwelcome. Flare Blitz targets the Steel-types Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Doublade, and Durant, while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets in general. Protect scouts for Choice-locked attackers such as Meloetta, Tyrantrum, Rotom-C, and can block Hitmonlee and Medicham's High Jump Kick. However, Roar is another option to phaze setup sweepers such as Fletchinder, Drapion, Durant, and Cobalion and racks up entry hazard damage. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Alomomola, and works well in tandem with Protect.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defensive investment with an Impish nature bolsters Emboar's decent natural bulk, allowing it to handle physical attackers. However, a specially defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD can be used to better handle threats such as offensive Whimsicott, Tangrowth, and Houndoom. The choice ability is relatively arbitrary, (AC) as they both are meant for offensive roles, but Reckless is more useful, (AC) as the boost to Flare Blitz is more worthwhile than the benefits from Blaze. Leftovers is necessary for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Pivot into the Pokemon Emboar is used to check such as Escavalier, Durant, Doublade, Durant, and Mega Abomasnow. While Emboar might be able to comfortable handle their STAB moves, it is often wise to first scout for coverage moves such as a Drill Run from Escavalier, Earthquake from Mega Abomasnow, and Superpower from Durant. Will-O-Wisp is generally the safest attack to go for early on, as it cripples most of Emboar's typical switch-ins and provides a bit of a surprise factor due to the uncommon nature of this set. Use protect Protect to scout for potential Choice item Pokemon users or to block a High Jump Kick from Hitmonlee or Medicham. Note that even without Special Defense investment, Emboar can act as an emergency check to Nasty Plot Houndoom on defensive teams, so it is important to keep it Emboar healthy to handle it or other threats.

Team Options
========

This set fits best on semi-stall or stall teams due to its defensive nature. As such, Wish support from the likes of Alomomola, Aromatisse, and (Mega) Audino is very helpful because Emboar lacks any recovery outside of Leftovers. The latter two also provide cleric support to rid Emboar of unwanted status conditions. Psychic-type checks are necessary as teammates, as Emboar is greatly threatened by Calm Mind Psychic-types such as Meloetta, Reuniclus, and Cresselia, especially if Emboar is not packing Roar. Thus, Pokemon such as Escavalier, Mega Steelix, and Reuniclus make for good teammates. Swords Dance Escavalier tends to fit on the defensive teams that this set would be found on and can set up on the Psychic-types that are thorns in Emboar's side. Reuniclus appreciates Emboar's ability to check Dark-, Bug-, and Steel-types, and also sets up on the likes of Cresselia and Slowking.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Residual Damage**: Emboar is quickly worn down from entry hazards, potential poison damage, and Flare Blitz recoil, which is generally its main attack.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Delphox, Meloetta, and Mesprit can revenge kill non-Choice Scarf Emboar with ease. However, none of these can switch in, especially if Stealth Rock is up. Note that all of these Pokemon must be wary of a Sucker Punch from Expert Belt Emboar. Fletchinder OHKOes Emboar with Acrobatics and can take advantage of Choice Scarf Emboar locked into Superpower in order to set up a Swords Dance. In most cases, non-Choice Scarf Emboar is usually outsped by most opposing offensive Pokemon.

**Bulky Resists**: Bulky Water- and Rock-type Pokemon such as Quagsire, Slowking, Alomomola, Jellicent, Rhyperior, and Regirock can switch into some of Emboar's STAB moves, but must be wary of coverage moves. Alomomola takes a massive amount of damage from a Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge, but has no trouble taking a Flare Blitz or Superpower. Physically defensive Slowking can switch in at full HP, but has a decent chance to be OHKOed by Choice Band-boosted Wild Charge after Stealth Rock damage. Rhyperior and Regirock deter Emboar from spamming Flare Blitz, but must be cautious of Superpower.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)