Articuno

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Articuno the Frozen Burd Pokemon

[OVERVIEW]

Articuno is a very interesting Pokemon in the Never Used tier for one main reason, its typing which acts as a double edge sword. On one hand its typing is amazing offensively being able to hit the majority of the Never Used tier neutrally with its STAB moves except for Steel-types. Articuno also has access to a semi unique move called Freeze Dry which allows it to hit Water-types super effectively making its coverage even harder to switch into. Articuno's natural special bulk along with access to the move Roost also allows it to act as a decent pivot switching into weak special hits and then threatening them out. On the other hand its typing is not good defensively as it has a variety of weaknesses and loses half of its health if it switches into Stealth Rock. On top of this Articuno's speed is somewhere in the middle which means that it is outpaced by faster offensive threats.

[SET]
name: Burd
move 1: Freeze-Dry
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Roost / Ice Beam
move 4: U-turn / Hidden Power Ground
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Freeze-Dry is one of the main draws of Articuno as it allows for perfect neutral coverage hitting Water-types Super Effectively. Hurricane is for power as well as hitting things like Thick Fat Hariyama and other Ice resist Pokemon. Roost is used for recovery on sets that utilize a Life Orb, while Ice Beam is used only with Specs in place of Roost as an alternate to Freeze-Dry that offers more immediate power. U-turn is used to gain momentum early game, pivoting out of Pokemon Articuno can't break. Hidden Power Ground is used for Steel-types as they are the only type that Articuno can't hit for neutral damage with its STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Standard offensive spread to maximize speed and power. Life Orb is used to increase damage and allow for the ability to switch moves. Choice Specs can be used to increase damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Articuno should be used to force switches as its STAB moves threaten out the majority of the tier, however early game it usually can't OHKO all the things. So the way to play it is to bring it in on things that can't do to much back or that Articuno threatens out such as Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Vileplume. You then have two options either click a powerful STAB move such as Hurricane or Freeze Dry or if the opponent has a specially bulky Pokemon like Regirock you can click U-turn to gain momentum. After the opponent's Specially bulky Pokemon have been weakened enough just click your STAB moves accordingly. Roosting is another option on predicted switches to gain back health, you can also use Roost on relatively weak special attacks due to Articuno's good bulk. Since Articuno has relatively good special bulk you can use it as a pivot switching in on specially based Pokemon and then Uturning for momentum. Having Stealth Rock off the field is pretty much mandatory before bringing Articuno in as one Life Orb hit means it can't switch back in after rocks, if you need to bring it in to force a switch you can Roost instead of attacking to save Articuno for late game.

Team Options
========

Xatu is pretty much a required teammate when using a Pokemon quad weak to Stealth Rock like Articuno is. Xatu provides a much needed deterrent against Pokemon using Stealth Rock, unfortunately Articuno and Xatu's typings clash so having a electric immunity such as Lanturn or Rhydon is a good idea. Pokemon such as Lanturn and Rhydon also provide nice switch ins to Fire-type moves. Another option is to use Articuno on a Rain team as you get a 100% accurate Hurricane and have a decent matchup against other Rain teams, Pokemon such as Ludicolo, Kabutops, Liepard, and Uxie are good on Rain-teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Substitute along with Roost is another option to take advantage of switches. Toxic is another option to use alongside Roost and Substitute to wear down bulky walls. Agility can be used for late game cleaning. Specially Defensive with Defog is another option.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is incredibly destructive to Articuno's well being, it takes off 50% of its HP and effectively neutralizes all of the switching that Articuno wants to do. When it is up on the field the players main objective should be to try to remove them. Common setters of this move include Rhydon, Golurk, and Mawile.

**Offensive Pressure**: Offensive Pressure from Pokemon such as Pyroar, Magmortar, Archeops, and Rotom can force Articuno out. However most of these Pokemon can't switch directly into Articuno as they will risk taking a lot of damage.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Specially bulky Pokemon such as Regirock, Musharna, and Lanturn can all switch into Articuno's attacks and take little in return. However they have to be careful of switching in on the Uturn and losing momentum.

Last edited:
QC thoughts on sub roost / sub toxic sets? I haven't used those in NU in quite a while.
on sub toxic, it would be rly good if not for typh and camerupt that are going ham atm. it also gets unfortunately walled by steel types and provides set up for 2 most threatening steels- mawile and klinklang. bulky sweepers like mushy have synchronise to bounce that toxic right back and crodino and malamar have rest. So I'm not really sold on prospects of toxic stalling articuno but LO set looks promising. On the other hand, Sub roost version can run things like haze to combat the bulky sweepers but I don't think the set is worthy of an analysis as its fire types are extremely common so it can't roost stall effectively. But it can definitely be mentioned in other options.. Also what do you think on prospects for agility sweeper? It's in the pu analysis and looks decent on paper.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
expand your C&C, i thought you used to be super anal about that? :)

I would 100% consider a lefties offensive set with sub roost 2 attacks. Ice flying is as retarded as it's ever been in NU, and with decent speed, pressure, amazing bulk, and acceptable power it can be really frustrating to beat. (i lost to it in all 4 of my nu games i tried this month)
something like 252 spa 252 spe timid sub roost freezedry hurricane?

but yea also use bullets instead of hyphens please O:)

oh, and nice song choice. and nice sprites

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
C&C will be expanded in write up, I am super anal about it (but if its someone who has done good C&C work before and wants to wait till write up im fine with that). If you have another section than I already have then feel free to comment, but there aren't really to many Pokemon that aren't pressured by Ice / Flying.

Can lefties / sub just be mentioned in set details? Or is it good enough / different enough for a full set.

Bullet points are nicer, I forgot :o

thx, I do enjoy this artist. and the sprite progression is awesome.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've only used life orb articuno and specs sounds pretty unappealing, I don't really like it.

Lefties sub roost sounds solid, but not a separate set. Two ways you could go about it is slashing sub after u-turn and lefties in place of specs, or just mentioning sub in moves and lefties in set details. I would prefer the first option but either would work.

Also hp fight / ground over fire imo because more damage on the occasional probopass, and ferroseed is already hit hard by LO hurricane.

I know you'll expand on it in write up but pls don't leave C&C this empty.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't like U-turn being on its own with Roost being optional over Ice Beam. I think Roost/Hurricane/Freeze-Dry/Ice Beam is just significantly better for Life Orb, and Specs sounds kinda subpar.

I'd also probably use Life Orb SubRoost over Leftovers. Shit's too weak. And just pair it with TSpikes imo instead of running SubToxic.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
KACAW

I've used Specs Articuno on a few teams to quite a bit of success. While I have not used LO Articuno, I can attest to Specs' viability (just not its relative viability in comparison to LO). Regardless, a lot of NU teams lack Flying resists currently and specs Articuno is one of the best pokemon to manipulate this commonality in the tier. It is weak to SR and lacks recovery, but Articuno synergizes well with Claydol, Prinplup, etc., so a U-turn Articuno that can gain momentum, get a kill/2hko every time it comes in (bar miss) vs unprepared teams, it's not slow, and it had above average natural bulk. The moves are Hurricane / Ice Beam / U-turn / Freeze Dry (can use Sleep Talk, HP Fire/Ground, etc., but a bit too situational for my taste).

Imo, it deserves a set of its own or at least a back-slash item and move wise (haven't used LO, so could be wrong here for the record).

Montsegur im reviving this D:

Idt this is ready for QC yet cause C&C is non-existent and so is p much everything outside of UT. lmk what youre planning to do with this.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
uh, i skimmed this and I'm p sure i agree with everything the others said. so if i didn't list their shit below do that too.
  • hp ground / fight is fine with me in moves, i typically ran ground when i used this just because probo was more common but im not sure if fighting hits more things super effectively or not ( i deff wouldnt run fire just cuz of speed drop)
  • remove toad mentions
  • mention rain dance teams in team options, 100% accurate specs hurricanes aint a joke
  • spdef defog in oo
  • mention faster mons / scarf mons is c&c
idrc how much you write on the skeleton phase as long as the 3rd qc check isn't half assed, but if the next qc member wants you to write more stuff i can see why (articuno really relies on how its played and built with to be effective for obv reasons) 1/3 from me tho

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Seems pretty good to me. I think that hp fight/ground should stay out of the main slashes and in the set comments or OO, but this can realistically go either way, One thing that must be changed is the mention of scarf klinklang in the C&C - pretty sure this should just be klinklang or scarfers and klinklang as scarf klinklang isn't a thing. mention the fact that articuno has a pretty good speed tier in the set comments, too, and i think you're good to go. 2/3 n_n

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Seems pretty good to me. I think that hp fight/ground should stay out of the main slashes and in the set comments or OO, but this can realistically go either way, One thing that must be changed is the mention of scarf klinklang in the C&C - pretty sure this should just be klinklang or scarfers and klinklang as scarf klinklang isn't a thing. mention the fact that articuno has a pretty good speed tier in the set comments, too, and i think you're good to go. 2/3 n_n
believe me, scarf klinklang is a thing..

Ares

Ok I'll write this up tonight / sometime this week and will try to make the overview be more than 3 sentences.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
believe me, scarf klinklang is a thing..
I haven't seen one since ~February and despite having access to Volt Switch, it's quite weak without a boost and it would be a mediocre scarf user, in my opinion. With that being said, if it is actually worth mentioning, then I'm fine with it being mentioned and all, but non-Scarf Klinklang deals with most Articuno, too, due to the Steel typing, so either way Klinklang should be mentioned.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't seen one since ~February and despite having access to Volt Switch, it's quite weak without a boost and it would be a mediocre scarf user, in my opinion. With that being said, if it is actually worth mentioning, then I'm fine with it being mentioned and all, but non-Scarf Klinklang deals with most Articuno, too, due to the Steel typing, so either way Klinklang should be mentioned.
It's just a joke lol, Kiyo got bopped by scarf Klinklang a while back and it's been a running joke between him, tcw, and others. It certainly isn't the worst thing ever but I'm pretty sure mont would have removed it eventually.

Ares

Montsegur is literally old kiyo
I need help man, I know D:

Some more pressing stuff came up last weekend so this got pushed back. I started writing it last night, so ill finish it this weekend.

Edit: slowly writing this up, want to experiment a tiny bit in the new meta.

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
I'd slash Modest next to timid and Hp ground next to Uturn imo. Allows it to hit steels which resist both other stabs and modest is a nice boost if you don't fear timid mesprits and jolly kabutops. You could also give mention to a sub Toxic roost set, but idt they are as viable as they used to be.

Seems pretty thorough besides those things, so I'd be inclined to give a QC soon.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
[OVERVIEW]

Articuno is a very interesting Pokemon in the Never Used tier for one main reason, its typing which acts as a double edge sword. On one hand its typing is amazing offensively being able to hit the majority of the Never Used tier neutrally with its STAB moves except for Steel-types. Articuno also has access to a semi unique move called Freeze Dry which allows it to hit Water-types super effectively making its coverage even harder to switch into. Articuno's natural special bulk along with access to the move Roost also allows it to act as a decent pivot switching into weak special hits and then threatening them out. On the other hand its typing is not good defensively as it has a variety of weaknesses and loses half of its health if it switches into Stealth Rock. On top of this Articuno's speed is somewhere in the middle which means that it is outpaced by faster offensive threats.

[SET]
name: Burd (Offensive) <- its ok to have joke set names just have the legit one afterwards in parentheses
move 1: Freeze-Dry
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Roost / Ice Beam
move 4: U-turn / Hidden Power Ground
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Freeze-Dry is one of the main draws of Articuno as it allows for perfect neutral coverage hitting Water-types Super Effectively give some examples pls. Hurricane is for power as well as hitting things like Thick Fat Hariyama and other Ice resist Pokemon add examples, one of the main ones is magmortar as it does almost half to av mag which is quite respectable. Roost is used for recovery on sets that utilize a Life Orb, while Ice Beam is used only with Specs in place of Roost as an alternate to Freeze-Dry that offers more immediate power. U-turn is used to gain momentum early game, pivoting out of Pokemon Articuno can't break u-turn hits malamar which is cute . Hidden Power Ground is used for Steel-types as they are the only type that Articuno can't hit for neutral damage with its STAB moves. examples of steels pls .-.

note that while hp ground is nice for steel-types, some of the less bulky ones like pawniard and mawile take a lot of damage from articuno's stab moves

Set Details
========

Standard offensive spread to maximize speed and power. Life Orb is used to increase damage and allow for the ability to switch moves. Choice Specs can be used to increase damage output.

I would note that using a timid nature is very important as it allows you to outspeed adamant sawk, tie with jolly sawk, and outspeed +spe base 80s

Usage Tips
========

Articuno should be used to force switches as its STAB moves threaten out the majority of the tier, however early game it usually can't OHKO all the things. So the way to play it is to bring it in on things that can't do to much back or that Articuno threatens out such as Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Vileplume. You then have two options either click a powerful STAB move such as Hurricane or Freeze Dry or if the opponent has a specially bulky Pokemon like Regirock you can click U-turn to gain momentum. After the opponent's Specially bulky Pokemon have been weakened enough just click your STAB moves accordingly. Roosting is another option on predicted switches to gain back health, you can also use Roost on relatively weak special attacks due to Articuno's good bulk. Since Articuno has relatively good special bulk you can use it as a pivot switching in on specially based Pokemon and then Uturning for momentum. Having Stealth Rock off the field is pretty much mandatory before bringing Articuno in as one Life Orb hit means it can't switch back in after rocks, if you need to bring it in to force a switch you can Roost instead of attacking to save Articuno for late game.

Team Options
========

Xatu is pretty much a required teammate when using a Pokemon quad weak to Stealth Rock like Articuno is. Xatu provides a much needed deterrent against Pokemon using Stealth Rock, unfortunately Articuno and Xatu's typings clash so having a electric immunity such as Lanturn or Rhydon is a good idea. Pokemon such as Lanturn and Rhydon also provide nice switch ins to Fire-type moves. Another option is to use Articuno on a Rain team as you get a 100% accurate Hurricane and have a decent matchup against other Rain teams, Pokemon such as Ludicolo, Kabutops, Liepard, and Uxie -_- are good on Rain-teams.

I strongly disagree with saying xatu is a required teammate, since there are quite a few other mons for hazard control which pair well with articuno such as shiftry, prinplup, kabutops, and sandslash - hazard removal is a must when it comes to team options but xatu isnt

mention pokemon that can check/threaten steel types (sawk, gurdurr, rhydon, sandslash, magmortar, w/e)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Substitute along with Roost is another option to take advantage of switches. Toxic is another option to use alongside Roost and Substitute to wear down bulky walls. Agility can be used for late game cleaning. Specially Defensive with Defog is another option. <- remove this, if I were to use bulky articuno I'd use sub toxic which is annoying as hell to deal with and having a defogger which is 4x weak to rocks sounds pretty bad

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is incredibly destructive to Articuno's well being, it takes off 50% of its HP and effectively neutralizes all of the switching that Articuno wants to do. When it is up on the field the players main objective should be to try to remove them. Common setters of this move include Rhydon, Golurk, and Mawile.

**Offensive Pressure**: Offensive Pressure from Pokemon such as Pyroar, Magmortar, Archeops, and Rotom can force Articuno out. However most of these Pokemon can't switch directly into Articuno as they will risk taking a lot of damage.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Specially bulky Pokemon such as Regirock, Musharna, and Lanturn can all switch into Articuno's attacks and take little in return. However they have to be careful of switching in on the Uturn and losing momentum. quickly note how they threaten articuno back, ie regirock threatens with stab, mush can ~kinda~ set up on it or twave it, and lanturn.. wait no lanturn shouldnt be here lol
Decided to try out this mon a bit on the ladder and its actually really good, super underrated
Anyways, comments in bold; content looks good overall just fix up the stuff I noted and lmk if you have any questions.
QC 3/3
e: just realized its exactly 5 months after you posted this thread rofl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)