Monster Hunter General Discussion

Greetings fellow hunters!

- THE MHX HYPE IS REAL -

I created this thread to hopefully find more people to hunt with because the amount of people that I do hunt with currently is quite scarce. If you need help or just want people to hunt with post your FC's and Skype here for other people to add, hopefully we can get a huge Monster Hunter scene going on within Smogon.

Post your updates, goals and experience and hopefully we can all unite every MH player regardless of skill level to have a fun time.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm currently somewhere right above HR200 with 300+ hours of playtime. This is my first Monster Hunter, and I exclusively use Sword and Shield as I like its mobility and utility. I'm a nerd and only wear full sets of armor despite knowing that mix and match is better, and I've completely upgraded two and a half full sets (Excello X, Helios, Star Knight) with Divine Spheres. Currently I'm doing a bunch of Guild Quests for Divine Spheres and relic weapons and not really doing much else. I've gotten two really cool relic SNS so far with three slots each that I'm using with the Star Knight set. I haven't done any of the other Japanese DLC, but I made an exception for Star Knight because (1) it matches my username xd and (2) it's "technically" released for English cartridges.

1332-7706-6627 | IGN: Eisen

Sadly I'm not nearly as far as some people since I only had a lot of time to play during Spring Break, so I'm still working on the story mode missions. Currently I use Long Swords and Charge Blades (I just swap when I need to use a different element), but I'm still only using level 5 Rathalos gear (too lazy to get armor that's not wrecked by lightning).

4785-5242-9115 | IGN: Sanger

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately I lost my 3DS a little while ago, and all my progress with that, but when I did play I was playing with Stellar a decent amount. If I pick up another 3DS + MH any time soon I'll post my info here.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
main gs and swaxe and i sub almost every other weapon barring longsword bc it feels way too stiff to me. I'm approaching hr 100 and I'm trying to explore to make my own custom mix set. Until that day arrives, I'm running standard Bai bai kaiser and planning on upgrading the parts for that soon, and i run a gravios set with guard,evasion, and defense xl so i take about 0 dmg. i hunted with Stellar b4 and he's a pro who taught me that being selfish is dumb and the only way to succeed is to work together as a single unit. Don't fight alone, don't flee and let someone take on something they can't take on alone. If a quest isn't yours or very useful to you, work as if it was your own. The Monster Hunter community is very nice, but the implications of gullibility that brings is false. People will not hesitate to kick you if you try to take advantage of them, so work as a team.

also dont go into a quest and die 3 times and leave if you do that ur rly mean :(

also my favorite monster in this game is gogmazios, what are yalls?

I've never really hunted with a crew before, so I'll have to remember that advice for when I eventually reach enemies that'll actually tear me in half if I hunt them alone.
also my favorite monster in this game is gogmazios, what are yalls?
Strangely enough, I tend not to classify enemies by how much I like them. Usually the first fight with anything's the most fun for me because you have to actually study how they move in order to get hits in (unless you use a wiki, but who does that?). I've never really thought that any one fight was good enough that I want to repeat it. The only enemies that I dislike are ones that spend a lot of time in the air or underwater (since I usually use blades) and the Khezu. Good god, who designed that nightmare fuel?

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm at around HR90ish, it's my first Monster Hunter and I've been using nothing but GL since the beginning, really enjoyed it so far. My wifi is broken so for the majority of the guild quests I've just been soloing it (Dalamadur solo was a nightmare), but I've managed to play a few multiplayer quests with the local streetpass group and, on the one occasion my wifi did work, with Rugaji. I'm stuck at G3 for now but hopefully I'll progress relatively soon...
My current setup is either the Nux Cannon (Sleep effect GL) or the Seditious GL (seregios), using chaotic gore armour with a guard up +7 talisman, I don't remember the exact skills it has, something like fencing, guard up, attack up, a few other things.

As for my favourite monster...honestly, the fight I've had most fun with is Kushala Daora, even with the annoying wind effect it has. Gogmazios I haven't fought yet :(

FC (assuming I can eventually play): 4570-8227-8508 IGN: Lyto

Hey

MH3U was my first MH game and had over 500 hours play time. MH4 is by far my favorite of the two, though. I'm HR 98 at the moment with 180+ hours of playtime. I main the hammer almost exclusively but am working on a Light Bowgun set this week because it seems like a lot of fun. I've only completed 1 Guild Quest which is the Level 140 Oroshi Kirin. I currently have a mix hammer set with Attack Up XL, HG Earplugs, Sharpness +1, and Evade +1. It's almost pretty much what I use in 3U but since the hammer is infinitely better now I feel like the skills make me more aggressive when I need to be. Favorite monster is probably Rajang because VEGETA. I'm not sure what else to say, I'll post my 3DS FC and in-game name below =O

3DS FC: 1693-3175-9994 | IGN: Flinburino (if you would like to add, just notify me so that I can add)

oh yeah Lyto sux. .o.

edit: picture of my set if anyone cares

Last edited:
also my favourite monster in this game is gogmazios, what are yalls?
My favourite Monster is Stygian Zinogre, aside from his G-Rank armour set being godly once gemmed up to +3 Evasion and +3 Dragon Atk with the Stygian Acedia (Maxed out Stygian Great Sword) and not to mention the set also includes Fast Charge and Unscathed, I like his concept and design mainly because wolves are one of my favourite animals.

I've updated the Friend code list and will be posting on a regular basis asking questions, sharing thoughts and showing in game development.

As most of you know Monster Hunter has a large amount of Monsters based on real life animals for example Zinogre - Wolf, Teostra - Lion, Nargacuga - Panther/Bat. My question to you guys is what sort of animal based monster would you like to see next?

I'd like to see an owl based monster that you only fight at night and has some sort of Nargacuga and Seregios vibe mixed into one, Seregios imo seems to have an eagle/hawk sort of attack style and voice.

How about you?

Last edited:
Hey my First game was Mh3u and I fell in love with it. I'm still relatively new to the game and i was looking for a group of people to hunt with so I can learn more about the game and hopefully become better at it.
My Fc is 0147 0946 9624 My Skype is Camtastic49

3609 1030 0484 // Skype : Minwu325

I'm Caravan 8 and HR5 right now. I love the Seltas Queen and Brachydios! Currently I only have one set of Rare 5 armor (Seltas S Gunner) and I'm using Feminine Haze and Hyodermic Miracle. Working on 100%ing the caravan quests and getting 5 more hardpectuses for my Haze upgrade when I get some friends to help. Isabelle Guise is the best thing ever.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
0087-2312-5476 / skype quay2760

Im still very new to MH as a whole but i feel im doing alright for my first MH game.

I adora Kechas and Khezus and Zamzams and and oooh the Gore is cute too. and before you all groan over khezus being cute, they fucking are super fucking cute to me and ot other weirdos. Lemme adore em.

i loathe the assblaster Emmy Congalala and also i dislike the Rathian and Rathalos :I not fun fights for me.

Erm I use Hunting Horns and SnS with Sleep for Sleep Bombing. Also I sorta like the Charge Blade and Bow. The Hammer is my guilty pleasure.

Also Sleep Bombing OP. Except wehn you get trapped in the monster's sleeping form...

Erm im Caravan 8 and HR 5 and im too lazy to upgrade my HR but im willing to help out on hunts by being a supporting Hunter. Everyone else can just go ham and cheese with their big dick weapons. I'll be the trap and bomb guy. Also yas @ party buffs

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I stopped playing at HR103.
It feels like the same thing over and over again, even after I switched my weapons several times.

I played the Japanese version and region lock bloody sucks. I can't even help my British friends to improve their HR, and we can't play together.
If different languages can communicate, I could have played to help my friends.
(I reached HR103 before the English version came out, so. )

I might buy Monster Hunter 5 if it comes out though.

I'm HR 175 and i'm addicted to this game. I have 300+ hours invested and i' not ashamed of it. I've been playing since MH3U so i'm not new to the series.

My FC: 2122-6242-6840 and my skype is exlv100. I'd love to hunt with you guys!

Hello everybody!

I'm HR 240 and still playing this game. Not ashamed of it. :)

My skype is hitti6665, and I would be very happy if someone would add me to that Skype group.

Cresselia~~

Can someone change the thread title to Monster Hunter in general?

Monster Hunter X is coming out soon, so shouldn't we be discussing about that?

Cresselia~~

Trial version for Monster Hunter X Japanese version is now available for download from e-shop.

I downloaded it.

It has 3 levels -- easy, intermediate, difficult

SPOILERS (review with some pics)
DSC_0193.JPG DSC_0194.JPG DSC_0195.JPG DSC_0196.JPG DSC_0201.JPG DSC_0202.JPG
"Easy" wasn't that easy. Took me somewhat 15 minutes, and 4 jabs of medicine.
It's a green lizard/ dinosaur/ dragon thing with happy colours, it's called Great Maccau.
It keeps standing on its tail. It can attack you and stop you when you are trying to pull a combination attack.
I find single attacks the most effective.

"intermediate" was quite difficult for me. Took me 20 minutes, and lost one life. (You only have 25 minutes or your quest will fail!!)
It's a blue owl thing called Hororohoruru.
I think it's very beautiful and majestic, but it is very tricky to deal with.
It can make you confused, and can make you drowsy/ sleepy. (When confused, green question marks appear on your head, and you run usually the opposite direction of what you wanted. But you can still drink medicine.) (When drowsy/ sleepy, you have green bubbles on your head, and then you eventually lay down after a period of time. The owl will then crash onto you when you have laid down.)

It has strong winds from it wings. Its roar also makes you cover your ears and stop you.
It has a shiny yellow aura barrier thing that can make you confused-- stay away from this aura barrier thing.
It turns its head quite quickly. So always be prepared to run.

At first, it was difficult to hit it.
But after it is significantly weakened, (when saliva drops from its mouth), it becomes easier to deal with, because the wind pressure/ confuse barriers will occur less frequently.

The bones on its wings are very hard, and sometimes your sword will bounce back.
Aim for the tail and the legs.
Occasionally during an attack combo, I hit its head. The head seems to be the weakest point, but I guess it's too dangerous to aim for the head.
Because it can also blow attacks from its mouth.

"Difficult" I didn't try. I don't think I can win it. I think Hororohoruru was difficult enough for me.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Beat all levels in around 10 minutes, probably can even go shorter, and no lives lost. The hardest thing was getting used to the new mechanics. Each weapon has 4 different 'styles' that are played completely differently from each other: Guild, Striker, Aerial, and Bushido. Some of them are really difficult to use with certain weapons, so chances are you'll be sticking with one style per weapon.

Cresselia~~

Beat all levels in around 10 minutes, probably can even go shorter, and no lives lost. The hardest thing was getting used to the new mechanics. Each weapon has 4 different 'styles' that are played completely differently from each other: Guild, Striker, Aerial, and Bushido. Some of them are really difficult to use with certain weapons, so chances are you'll be sticking with one style per weapon.
I never figured out what those 4 are.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I never figured out what those 4 are.
From what I've experienced, Guild is the standard style, Striker is offensive, Aerial is tricky, and Bushido is defensive. Some styles are better suited for a certain weapon, especially since some styles prevent certain combos or buffs from activating on a weapon type.

For a longsword, Striker takes full advantage of the longsword's strong points, Aerial prevents the spirit attacks from being used in exchange of allowing you to roll straight into a charging monster, and bushido stops you from getting any buffs from the final spirit attack. Therefore striker is usually the best style for longsword users.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Guild is the same style from previous games. Striker means that you lose certain attacks/combo trees but have access to three hunter arts at the same time (that is, it's not really "offensive"). Aerial means you lose certain attacks but your dodge becomes a "hop" that allows you to vault off monsters and attack in the air. Bushido means you lose attacks but every near dodge pushes you into a "rush" sequence that gives you alternate attacks. The dodge window for Bushido is really generous.

To further correct DragonWhale, you can still use the spirit gauge as Aerial Longsword... the difference is you have to initiate the spirit attack sequence while in the air. Sort of the same with Bushido... you have to dodge an attack and then use two spirit hits during the rush sequence to "level up" your gauge.

If any of you want to play when the game is released on the 28th, add my JP 3DS FC: 1736-3973-9081

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)