All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So did Gen I use usage-based tiering or use what normal people think of as the "traditional" way of doing tiers?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
IIRC usage-based tiering didn't really start becoming a thing until late Gen 3 when someone started mass collecting usage stats on Netbattle. Then it became a srs bsns thing for Gen 4 to, if anything, give ourselves a more authentic UU experience since really the whole point of UU is to use shit we normally don't see (in OU).

Gens 1-2 on the site are strictly "traditional" although Hipmonlee futzed with them a bit a few years back. Zam would be UU if I didn't make a big enough stink about it that he stuck it in BL, although I dunno whether or not Mt. Silver or PO doods would banish it to BL anyway for its power level in UU.

And nobody better fucking touch 'em either. :[

Have a look at the current tiering threads for the old gens, it might happen that tiering will change with some good input I have read about there.
Usage based tiers are hard to introduce for tiers that are shortly out of Beta and not exactly heavily played.

Zapdos is probably your best bet there. Restalk isn't recover but with zapdos' spikes immunity and decent speed it's not hard for it to get off a rest, and its bulk gives it plenty of opportunities to wake up. There's also restalk skarm although it's mag weak and you have to sacrifice toxic. Outside of that, celebi has recover and leech seed/perish song to pseudo phaze.

Howdy there. I was curious in getting back into DPPt meta like i had when i first started (if only briefly since it was like three weeks before BW came out) and was checking this out. I see the thread and was wondering if there was a room on showdown where I could go and team build there. Thanks for the answer when yall can.

Howdy there. I was curious in getting back into DPPt meta like i had when i first started (if only briefly since it was like three weeks before BW came out) and was checking this out. I see the thread and was wondering if there was a room on showdown where I could go and team build there. Thanks for the answer when yall can.
yeah, swing by the Old Gens room. all past gens are currently supported on PS, and you'll probably find some people interested in battling there ^.^

Nelson

Young, Wild & Free
Hi! Is there a guide to introduce players to the GSC/RbY OU tiers? If not, what would you recommand instead?!

What is the percentage chance of waking up at turn X after being put to sleep? Asking for all gens.

I suddenly realised I don't have these numbers.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
RBY: 1/7, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1
GSC: 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1
BW: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/past-gen-rng-research.61090/page-31#post-3698857

i'm not sure about the other gens. ADV is 1 to 6 turns according to UPC which is usually a reliable source, but on Showdown it seems to be 1 to 4 turns. I don't know which one is right.
Marty D, do you know which one is correct ?
http://upokecenter.dreamhosters.com...ion-descriptions-of-common-effects/#Sleep_SLP
https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/gen3/statuses.js

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
i'm not sure about the other gens. ADV is 1 to 6 turns according to UPC which is usually a reliable source, but on Showdown it seems to be 1 to 4 turns. I don't know which one is right.
It's 1-4 turns (duration 2-5). I don't know where 1-6 came from since I've never seen it last more than 4 turns in either Ruby, Fire Red, or Emerald.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Just disassembled Ruby trying to understand where this 1-6 could come from. Short answer, I still don't know where it comes from lol

PRN = (seed * 0x41C64E6D + 0x6073) >> 16
Sleep = (PRN & 3) + 2
Which means the duration is 2 to 5, which means a Pokémon can sleep a maximum of 4 turns, and wakes up on the fifth turn.

Any notable posts / topics about late BW1 Terrakion? That was during the time period when I took a break from mons and I hear that referenced a lot, so I was curious what the situation was and what made it less of an issue (assuming Lando-T was a factor here).

Last edited:

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
I'll fire up a few questions I've always wanted to know. :toast:

Does anyone have a timeline of the OU bans/suspect tests (in month+year format pls) during the 4th Gen era?

Who invented (popularized) Scarf Ttar in DPP, and when was that?

What made Mew an Uber in DPP?

Mew was so good in DPP Ubers that there was a brief(?) period where people were whining about it being banned in Ubers. Someone who was more immersed in 4th gen Ubers could probably say more, but my understanding is that it was mostly a Baton Pass thing, I thiiiiiink combined with Deoxys-S dual screen lead? In any case yeah, I think Mew being OU was just never even a question except for really early on (where people were bringing up all sorts of stuff willy-nilly like Ho-Oh and Darkrai)

I don't know dates and things for 4th gen ban process but

Cathy/Amazing Ampharos era: Wobbuffet and Garchomp allowed

eventually Deoxys-S gets tested, and I think after that is when Smogon gets fed up, gets an official server and starts thinking about developing some sort of formalized process. Wobb/Garchomp/Deoxys get banned and we create some big weird list of things we plan on testing (which includes stuff like OHKOs I think. Also species clause for some reason?). It's weird though because after testing the stuff individually, the plan was to test all of them together. I don't think that actually ended up happening though.

I wanna say the Latis were after Garchomp, then Platinum happened and Skymin became a thing, so banning that became a priority for people. After that my activity dwindled so I have even worse memory for it; I don't remember if Manaphy was tested at all (I know we planned to initially but I don't recall the actual test).

There's probably a thread in Policy Review or something that has more reliable info though!

Does anyone have a timeline of the OU bans/suspect tests (in month+year format pls) during the 4th Gen era?
Salamence - July 16th, 2010.
Who invented (popularized) Scarf Ttar in DPP, and when was that?
Taylor's stall team was the team that really introduced it (you'll notice KG stall's similarity to it, posted a little over a year later), although word is that guys like Loki, and MoP were lowkey running it a little earlier. It didn't really catch on for a few months but around the time Megan Fox's team (which was an iconic team at that point in the meta and really helped Scarftar's popularity) was posted, its usage going through the roof because people were realizing the power of Specs Latias (when it first dropped it was generally more on the CM side of things, sometimes Scarf). It also didn't hurt that it was an excellent Lucario check, Bullet Punch on SD sets was unheard of prior.

Has anyone else noticed gen 1 partial trapping moves losing 2 PP at a time when the opponent switches during them? That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Not sure if this goes here:

Has anyone determined the exact probabilities and/or other mechanics regarding how Hyper Mode and Reverse Mode work in Colosseum and XD? Everywhere I look I only see vague phrases like "A Shadow Pokemon has a chance to enter Hyper Mode instead of using Shadow Rush when that move is selected" and so on. What's the chance? Is it always a flat probability (can it happen on two uses of Shadow Rush in a row?), or is it a chance that can be affected by other factors like Nature, number of turns since previous Hyper Mode, etc.?

after a mon dies of psn and the next mon switches in (in ADV), should lefties activate? i'm not sure of the exact mechanics involved...

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is primarily for researchers. Are there any mechanical differences between XD and the handheld gen 3 game doubles that are relevant enough to be sim added? When attempting to edit battlescripts for gen 3 doubles, I have been basing my mechanics off of XD instead of the handheld because it was easier that way due to most of my "good" mons being there for the orre colosseum. I am particularly interested in the faint mechanics, due to when you faint in XD before the last Pokemon moves, you are forced to switch in before the turn ends and thus take whatever punishment the other pokemon that need to move are dishing out. I am unsure whether this happens on the handheld games.

Hello guys

I started dpp 3day ago but i am noob

I usually use threat/speedtiers/viab ranking and the lead list http://pastebin.com/Fe4FFgpk and LGS http://pastebin.com/eP39520Y from SOMALIA

But i am very big noob ...

I have team look like dnite/breloom/starmie/rotom-w/tran/swampert i don't have lgs guy and i am very weak to LOstarmie(its not RMT ik)

What is usually check/counter of LO starmie in balanced/offense ?
When i can find a tour for dpp ?
What is the most popular LGS ?
How to deal with explosion ?
How i stard building team ? Lead/Spinner/anti-spiner and support/lgs/scarf user/stallbreaker ?
And finally how i can reach a good level ? i usually do ladd + searching match in room fr(i am french this is why i'm not good in english and its hard for you to read this :c)

I'm in holidays i have a lot of time to spend to pokemon espicially to be a good player in dpp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)