ORAS UU Bird Jesus and the Prophet Penguin [Peaked #1 at 1722]

Hi everyone! It is only my second RMT and my first UU RMT so excuse how bad it may look at how terrible I may be at this whole stuff!
During my time laddering, it was only meant to be for casual enjoyment whilst playing NU as my main tier on the side however I managed to rack up quite the wins and managed to eventually top the UU ladder peaking at 1722 as well as beating a few decent players along the way.
Proof:

Team building process:
Now I'm going to be honest here and say that I can't actually remember how I built the team since in actual fact it only took me 5 minutes to make :x I just knew from prior experience that the pokemon I used in my team are the most annoying pokemon to face when laddering since they're so threatening and hit extremely hard and apply a lot of pressure to teams very easily just by the thought of confusion. But I'll give it a shot anyway and try and give a good explanation.
I wanted to build around this monster since it was the only mega i've not used yet in UU and it looked really good, I also wanted to use it as a lure for steel types for machamp to feast on.
This thing hits so hard and facing it is a massive pain in the booty. It destroys balance cores and often forces switches due to confusion with d-punch (gay i know) but it's effective with what plays in the mind of a pokemon player when they don't want to risk a 50/50 and are hence forced to sack a member on their team.
Empoleon is mainly used to patch up ice weakness this team had aswell as chucking rocks, defog and a fairy resist into one pokemon. It allowed me to use 3 more pokemon that are threatening as fuck when choosing my next 3 pokemon.
I needed a krook check and what better pokemon to do so than my own krook! It's great at pursuit trapping things like blissey so i can get momentum with pidgeot and waring them down in general. It carried an ice weakness, again another use for empoleon and it also gave me a check to things like mega-aero
In all honesty i picked chandy over other pokemon was the surprise factor because nearly every chandy is choiced. I also had a spin blocker and lure for suicune that is rather borked right now n_n
lastly i needed a cleaner and a scarfed mence would be perfect since it gives me another fire check and yet another ice weak poke for me to need empoleon even more haha.

The team:

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
- Heat Wave
Standard mega-jesus bird spread. Heat wave is for coverage on things like mega-aggron if they're weakened, u-turn is for momentum and roost for longetivity. Mainly used for spamming hurricanes.

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
4 Attack krook is a threat and takes catches most things off guard. Having knock + eq is standard, pursuit to stop choiced things get a free switch out and can hurt things like blissey in the long run. Stone edge is for salamence, mega-pidgeot and in general edgequake is nice to have. Max adamant for extra damage and the team doesn't really need the extra speed but the extra power is nice.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
MVP pivot, defog their rocks away so you can get up your own as well as having roar so you can prevent florges and blissey passing wishes, stop cm cress, cro-cune and salamence from setting up on you (if you don't need empoleon for the situation). I have a lefties number and small creep for other penguins, spdef is nice af and in general this penguin is amazing.

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch
This thing is one of if not the biggest threats in the tier. Banded d-punch, "resisted" doesn't quite cut it for it as you can spam d-punch and force 50/50s aswell as doing massive damage to anything slower than it. Usually mega-blastoise, swampert, forry, amph are all destroyed / 2 hit ko'd by d-punch. Things like florges hate facing it since you're constantly doing a solid 35% at least with d-punch and can get free momentum. In general this is the thing I use most when wearing down opponents teams.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Tail
The best cleaner in the tier, great base speed, wide movepool, can spam eq's, outrages and even if needed d-claw for mini sweeps after revenge killing a mon and can apply huge amounts of offensive pressure to teams. Usually only killed by opposing scarfed mence's, it's hard to stop at all.

Chandelure @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
This set literally tears apart balance and is very uncommon. I like modest for the extra power for breaking cores, with e-belt i bluff scarf and flash fire is great as it walls common pokemon like arcanine or can switch in on banded espeeds or flare blitz' allowing free subs and opportunities for free hits off on the opponents team. Underrated set and works wonders with the surprise factor for my team n_n

Replays:
After using this team and peaking the ladder, I've acquired a few replays against top players on the ladder for me to take the number 1 spot and you can also see the team in action.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225441664 #2 on ladder
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225447007 #1 on ladder
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-225532667 My final game to peak 1722 with a 92 GXE.
Nom nom all those yummy points.

Shoutouts:
I don't really want to overdo it especially since it was just casual laddering with a 5 minute build but i'd like to thank everyone in the NU room who are my pals as well as SPL buddies on the Ruiners and Bigs and my NU PL team with the Articunos n_n
Also a big shoutout to the people in the UU room who motivated me to overtake Pearl. on the ladder when i almost stopped laddering.
Credits to Deej Dy for the name of the RMT

Importable:
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Tail

Chandelure @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

Attachments

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just looked at this for two seconds, don't run naive pidge as u-turn isn't for damage (and does shit) and you dont take scalds as well. If you don't run guts on machamp then your only scald switchins are empoleon (cant touch bulky waters) and your rocks weak Mega Pidgeot. Kinda pissed I never sniped you on ladder (even though we both posted RMTs peak #1 recently ?_?) but cool team.

Just looked at this for two seconds, don't run naive pidge as u-turn isn't for damage (and does shit) and you dont take scalds as well. If you don't run guts on machamp then your only scald switchins are empoleon (cant touch bulky waters) and your rocks weak Mega Pidgeot. Kinda pissed I never sniped you on ladder (even though we both posted RMTs peak #1 recently ?_?) but cool team.
NGL I didn't even notice it was naive haha! As I said, it took me 5 minutes to build so i didn't really pay attention. I like d-punch machamp a lot more than CC, more spammable stab.
Edit: I changed pidgeot's nature :]

Finally a decent UU RMT.

Hi n_n Mega Pidgeot with U-turn support to Krook and Machamp is nasty and your Chandelure set looks really fun. The only real changes I can see that could possibly benefit your team are small tweaks to the sets: Naive -> Timid on Pidgeot so you can take weak Scalds and other special attacks from defensive Pokemon better, Adamant -> Jolly on Krookodile so you can outspeed a few threats (most notably, Timid Chandelure, Roserade, and all Entei), and possibly Modest -> Timid on Chandelure so you can outspeed a couple more things (Jolly Feraligatr, Adamant Heracross and Lucario) but this last one is not 100% necessary since Modest can be nice for the power like you said.

One slightly, though completely optional of course, change to your team I would like to suggest is to put Stealth Rock Krookodile and then change Empoleon's current third slot to Ice Beam and equip it with a Shuca Berry. This helps a lot with your matchup against 1) Mega Aerodactyl, who is a pretty big threat to the team depending on its coverage moves since Aqua Tail and EQ are both relatively common, and 2) Salamence, which looks like it can lay some hurt on your team if it's a Scarf set or if it manages to set up a Dragon Dance on a choice-locked Machamp, pretty much forcing you to risk a speed tie with your own Salamence or hoping you catch a burn with Scald on a locked Outrage.

Good team man and congrats on the peak :]

Edit: didn't see the snipe above

Last edited:
Finally a decent UU RMT.

Hi n_n Mega Pidgeot with U-turn support to Krook and Machamp is nasty and your Chandelure set looks really fun. The only real changes I can see that could possibly benefit your team are small tweaks to the sets: Naive -> Timid on Pidgeot so you can take weak Scalds and other special attacks from defensive Pokemon better, Adamant -> Jolly on Krookodile so you can outspeed a few threats (most notably, Timid Chandelure, Roserade, and all Entei), and possibly Modest -> Timid on Chandelure so you can outspeed a couple more things (Jolly Feraligatr, Adamant Heracross and Lucario) but this last one is not 100% necessary since Modest can be nice for the power like you said.

One slightly, though completely optional of course, change to your team I would like to suggest is to put Stealth Rock Krookodile and then change Empoleon's current third slot to Ice Beam and equip it with a Shuca Berry. This helps a lot with your matchup against 1) Mega Aerodactyl, who is a pretty big threat to the team depending on its coverage moves since Aqua Tail and EQ are both relatively common, and 2) Salamence, which looks like it can lay some hurt on your team if it's a Scarf set or if it manages to set up a Dragon Dance on a choice-locked Machamp, pretty much forcing you to risk a speed tie your own Salamence or hoping you catch a burn with Scald on a locked Outrage.

Good team man and congrats on the peak :]
Some legit suggestions. I've already changed to timid bird jesus, krook never really came in on chandy at all but i guess that jolly would be more optimal if i'm being picky about it. I also don't have problems against feraligator or luc, however heracross usually requires a sack for me to operate fully functionally against it. Salamence was a slight worry for the team and of my 11 losses in UU, 5-6 of them were against mence because i lost momentum. Rocks on krook instead of stone edge would be a definite suggestion to keep in mind and ice beam over rocks seems viable, however in practice it was always easier to have rocks on empoleon since it came in so frequently so i'll have to test it and see. Also, passive lefties recovery is more big than i'd imagine when using this team and i often played risky when using it predicting earthquakes and other things. I'll also test it out.
Thank you for the rate and suggestions :]

Mega Pidge/Champ core is fucking disgusting.

Personally I'd recommend the tweaks dod has suggested. I can see physical luke slaying your team if it gets in on your mence locked into dragon stab if it's jolly Lucario, which me and meowie likes to run. Even unboosted, jolly luke does a number to your team. So changing krook from adamant to jolly would help check it. Though minor, this also helps against choiced rotom-H as well, as it can outspeed specs variant and knock, it can bulk scarf overheat and knock. Another thing regarding krook is that I would have superpower>stone edge as it would bop drei on the switch and beat opposing krooks.

Standard crocune looks like it would be really annoying for your team to deal with if it's last mon or if empoleon is weak/dead. As the only answer you have for it would be hax (from machamp) and machamp can be pp stalled easily out of dpunch or get burnt. What I would recommend is to switch to guts and close combat on champ. Or if you want to keep the dpunch, just switch heavy slam for close combat, for a more powerful option to dpunch and more fighting spam pp (I'm the kind of person that plays extra safe and run sacred fire+flare blitz on entei/ hjk and jk on shao).

Mega Pidge/Champ core is fucking disgusting.

Personally I'd recommend the tweaks dod has suggested. I can see physical luke slaying your team if it gets in on your mence locked into dragon stab if it's jolly Lucario, which me and meowie likes to run. Even unboosted, jolly luke does a number to your team. So changing krook from adamant to jolly would help check it. Though minor, this also helps against choiced rotom-H as well, as it can outspeed specs variant and knock, it can bulk scarf overheat and knock. Another thing regarding krook is that I would have superpower>stone edge as it would bop drei on the switch and beat opposing krooks.

Standard crocune looks like it would be really annoying for your team to deal with if it's last mon or if empoleon is weak/dead. As the only answer you have for it would be hax (from machamp) and machamp can be pp stalled easily out of dpunch or get burnt. What I would recommend is to switch to guts and close combat on champ. Or if you want to keep the dpunch, just switch heavy slam for close combat, for a more powerful option to dpunch and more fighting spam pp (I'm the kind of person that plays extra safe and run sacred fire+flare blitz on entei/ hjk and jk on shao).
Crocune was never a problem for the team as machamp does around 42-52% making it an easy 3hitko aswell as confusion chance. That also leaves it open to easy revenge kills for the rest of the team or even an outrage from scarfed mence.
I think changing krook to jolly is a solid suggestion and I will implement it now. n_n

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Good team, unpleasant formatting (can't really blame you though, making stuff look pretty is boring as fuck) and a bad player behind it who can only achieve such a peak through lucking people to death. Might as well give this a rate because you're a friend in spite of our divergences (me being rank 2 in the print you used to confirm your peak for example) and because I also feel that this squad could be /slightly/ improved.

Like you've probably admitted before somewhere along the RMT (skipped over most of the descriptions, my apologies for that LOL). relying this much on Empoleon without even having any kind of way to keep it healthy (Wish support) is way too dangerous. Both Pidgeot + Krook and Pidgeot + Empoleon are really solid balanced cores, so I wouldn't mess around with those at all. I can also see the reason why Machamp is here (I mean, you could probably replace it with Choice Band Heracross for the same effect but that's not really relevant). Pursuit trapping + Fighting-type Pokemon is dangerous as fuck and with Pidgeot's U-turn to bring it in plus the double confusion core it's just beastly overall.

With that said, it is actually hard to tweak this team without screwing up with its above-average offensive synergy. Still, I think you should give Encore Alakazam a try over Chandelure. This change should make you slightly weaker to Fighting and Fire-type Pokemon, but keeping momentum with Pidgeot and using Salamence and Alakazam itself as soft checks for those should be enough for the most part (Jolly Krookodile would be a must this way though, as extra insurance against Entei). As for the advantages it comes with, there's the fact it manhandles last Pokemon Suicune (which can destroy you with ease otherwise. Don't forget that Dynamic Punch against Pressure has 4 PP only), gives you a second (third with Pidgeot) cleaner, as well as a revenge killer and general backup plan if you ever screw up keeping up momentum. It also has some surprise factor attached to it thanks to Encore I guess? It's been catching some traction lately though :(

Alakazam set:

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Stay up fella :)

Good team, unpleasant formatting (can't really blame you though, making stuff look pretty is boring as fuck) and a bad player behind it who can only achieve such a peak through lucking people to death. Might as well give this a rate because you're a friend in spite of our divergences (me being rank 2 in the print you used to confirm your peak for example) and because I also feel that this squad could be /slightly/ improved.

Like you've probably admitted before somewhere along the RMT (skipped over most of the descriptions, my apologies for that LOL). relying this much on Empoleon without even having any kind of way to keep it healthy (Wish support) is way too dangerous. Both Pidgeot + Krook and Pidgeot + Empoleon are really solid balanced cores, so I wouldn't mess around with those at all. I can also see the reason why Machamp is here (I mean, you could probably replace it with Choice Band Heracross for the same effect but that's not really relevant). Pursuit trapping + Fighting-type Pokemon is dangerous as fuck and with Pidgeot's U-turn to bring it in plus the double confusion core it's just beastly overall.

With that said, it is actually hard to tweak this team without screwing up with its above-average offensive synergy. Still, I think you should give Encore Alakazam a try over Chandelure. This change should make you slightly weaker to Fighting and Fire-type Pokemon, but keeping momentum with Pidgeot and using Salamence and Alakazam itself as soft checks for those should be enough for the most part (Jolly Krookodile would be a must this way though, as extra insurance against Entei). As for the advantages it comes with, there's the fact it manhandles last Pokemon Suicune (which can destroy you with ease otherwise. Don't forget that Dynamic Punch against Pressure has 4 PP only), gives you a second (third with Pidgeot) cleaner, as well as a revenge killer and general backup plan if you ever screw up keeping up momentum. It also has some surprise factor attached to it thanks to Encore I guess? It's been catching some traction lately though :(

Alakazam set:

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Stay up fella :)
I believe that if this change was made, the weakness to fighting + fire would be a bit too overwhelming. Especially since the team would single handily lose to Scarf Mienshao. It 2hko's the whole team with no priority and outspeeds everything. So yeah, I say Chandelure is your best bet.

Really cool team, I ran a Confusion Core w/ Pidgeot and Machamp a while back and its insane :]

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One thing I'll say is you might want to consider replacing Heat Wave with Work Up on Mega Pidgeot. It gives you a Stallbreak win condition, and you already have Fire-type presence on your team that deals with Steels pretty nicely. In general, it'll power up Mega Pidgeots already insane special attack, and ensure a decently powered U-turn should a momentum switch be necessary.

Work up over heat wave? Now this is a suggestion I never thought of and I can think of a lot of scenarios such as against wish-protecting spdef walls where it would come in handy. I think I will definitely try this out, i think during my laddering experience, i clicked heat wave once... but it does make mega-aggron more of a threat.
I don't intend on changing chandy for alakazam however, it would fuck up the synergy of the team too much and it makes sacred fire really spammable which i don't want. Thanks for the suggestion however and I can tell you're still salty about the skill i displayed in our game ;]

Overall changes:
timid jesus bird
jolly krook
trying out work up > heat wave on jesus bird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)