- good Critical Hit rate (19.5%)

[Set]

name: Substitute/Mimic + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute / Mimic
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Drill Peck

[Set comments]

A Base Atk stat higher than Tauros one with a good typing let Dodrio hit very hard, thanks to his double STAB in his moveset. As if this is not enough it has a 19.5% to Critical Hit. Drill Peck is a really good move which scary a well-known physical wall like Exeggutor and can eventually check Chansey's Counter too. This is probably the only positive difference if you'll use Dodrio and not Tauros, infact the bird doesn't have a way to hit Golem and Rhydon so the only way to hurt them is copying Earthquake with Mimic. Cloyster doesn't always have is a safe switch-in against Dodrio since the moment that Mimic could copy Clamp or Explosion! Substitute is a good move which with a good paralysis support can help you to close the match easily (DO NOT FORGET that Substitute doesn't preserve you from getting Paralyzed/Sleeped/Poisoned!).

[Additional comments]

Agility and Reflect are two other options. Agility gets rid of Paralysis Speed drop, making Dodrio faster than common threats that generally outspeed it (Tauros, Alakazam, Starmie, Dugtrio, Persian ecc), instead Reflect that give you big help against full physical Snorlax. Dodrio doesn't really have a lot of other options. It is very frail so pay attention to his HP when you want the bird to take a damage, unfortunately his typing hurts it more than how it helps (since the moment that Electric and Ice moves are very commons in OU).

Last edited:

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
A note should be added on Substitute mentioning it doesn't block most Statuses. You should also mention its use against paralyzed Pokémon, fishing for a full paralysis.
Also, add that Dodrio should avoid Paralysis as much as possible.
And a few damage calculations vs the main OU Pokémon (not GolDon obviously) would be nice :toast:

If you want to compare Dodrio to Tauros:
Tauros has 110 Speed, Dodrio has 100 Speed (mention threats that outspeed it)
Tauros has 75 / 95 / 70 bulk, Dodrio has 60 / 70 / 60 bulk (provide Pokémon list that 2HKO Dodrio but not Tauros, e.g. Alakazam)
Tauros has Earthquake and Blizzard as coverage moves, Dodrio has only Drill Peck. It's stopped by GolDon.
Dodrio has STAB Drill Peck (main reason to use it tbh). 100% HP Eggy can check Tauros but not Dodrio.​

Dodrio's Flying type hurts it more than it helps it (Thbolt / Blizzard weaknesses mainly). Ground immunity is nearly non-relevant.
Double switching isn't effective vs GolDon since they can EQ twice with no penalty (they take ~11.5% from BSlam).

Mimic's main target is a damaged Golem switch-in, as you can get Earthquake or Explosion from it.
Cloyster switch-in is also a good Mimic's target, as you can get Clamp or Explosion from it.

Agility and Reflect are two other options.
Agility gets rid of Paralysis Speed drop, and makes Dodrio faster than Tauros / Gengar / Persian / Starmie / Alakazam
Reflect's main use is against full physical Snorlax.

Last edited:
A note should be added on Substitute mentioning it doesn't block most Statuses. You should also mention its use against paralyzed Pokémon, fishing for a full paralysis.

I said that it is a good move with paralysis support so it's done!

Also, add that Dodrio should avoid Paralysis as much as possible.

I'll add this!

And a few damage calculations vs the main OU Pokémon (not GolDon obviously) would be nice :toast:

If you want to compare Dodrio to Tauros:
Tauros has 110 Speed, Dodrio has 100 Speed (mention threats that outspeed it)

When I said 100 speed is implied that >100 base speed are faster, no?

Tauros has 75 / 95 / 70 bulk, Dodrio has 60 / 70 / 60 bulk (provide Pokémon list that 2HKO Dodrio but not Tauros, e.g. Alakazam)

I said that it is very frail and you have to pay attention @low hp ecc (ADDITIONAL COMMENTS)

Tauros has Earthquake and Blizzard as coverage moves, Dodrio has only Drill Peck. It's stopped by GolDon.
Dodrio has STAB Drill Peck (main reason to use it tbh). 100% HP Eggy can check Tauros but not Dodrio.

1) I said both, the only way for Dodrio to hit Gol/Don is copying an Earthquake
2) I said that Dodrio is a problem for a well known blabla like Exeggutor, should I add something?

Dodrio's Flying type hurts it more than it helps it (Thbolt / Blizzard weaknesses mainly). Ground immunity is nearly non-relevant.

I'll add it ^
Double switching isn't effective vs GolDon since they can EQ twice with no penalty (they take ~11.5% from BSlam).

Isn't this obv?

Mimic's main target is a damaged Golem switch-in, as you can get Earthquake or Explosion from it.

I said this :O

Cloyster switch-in is also a good Mimic's target, as you can get Clamp or Explosion from it.

I'll add this!

Agility and Reflect are two other options.
Agility gets rid of Paralysis Speed drop, and makes Dodrio faster than Tauros / Gengar / Persian / Starmie / Alakazam
Reflect's main use is against full physical Snorlax.

I'll add this too :)

Alright time to comment on the last of these analyses.

Overview needs to outline strengths weaknesses, its role both within a team and in the meta. Strengths are that it's fast and powerful, STAB Drill Peck so Egg can stay out of its way. Weaknesses are that it's very frail, hard walled by GolDon, not quite fast enough to compete with some notable threats, and most importantly it's largely outclassed by Tauros. Role on teams is as a lategame cleaner, at which it is proficient, but it still struggles to carve a niche with Tauros around.

Attacks are obvious, but personally I'd make the slashes Substitute/Agility.

Mimic is really an awful move- why would I waste a turn gambling on the possibility of getting something slightly useful when instead that pokemon could actually be performing the role I always wanted it to perform? Much of the time the desired move is only barely more useful than anything already on the set. And if you're in a position where you know you can't do anything (e.g. Drio vs GolDon), you should really be switching out. Mimic so rarely works that it's a waste of both a moveslot and a turn imo. /rant

Then again, it's been such a long time since I used it I've forgotten the mechanics of it- when you switch out you retain the Mimic'd move right? Either way I still think it's a crap option, but it's better to know lol

As for the set explanation, Body Slam is the go-to STAB, Drill Peck is for Egg, HBeam is for killing things. For Substitute, explicitly mention that its purpose is to fish for full paras and exploit any switches to death fodder. Those two points won't be obvious to a beginner (mentioning the lack of protection from status is good).

You need C&C
GolDon are obvious, they hard counter.
Lapras, Slowbro and Cloyster all pose major roadblocks
Starmie isn't as bulky, but it outspeeds
Zapdos and Jolteon beat it

That's it I've had enough for now. Enjoy!

Also note to self: once I'm done with uni assessments, have a look at analyses both here and on PO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)