Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Could anyone tell me whether the language chosen at new game start affects the Masuda method? Practical example : If i were to start a new game in pokemon X with German language, and breed a pokemon from there with a pokemon from my English AS, would the Masuda method work or would I need a cartridge/3DS from a different region?

Could anyone tell me whether the language chosen at new game start affects the Masuda method? Practical example : If i were to start a new game in pokemon X with German language, and breed a pokemon from there with a pokemon from my English AS, would the Masuda method work or would I need a cartridge/3DS from a different region?
Can't really tell what you mean, however you can use any two parents for masuda method. They just have to be from different language games.

Can't really tell what you mean, however you can use any two parents for masuda method. They just have to be from different language games.
My apologies for being insufficiently specific. As a follow up question to your answer: The only relevant thing is the language, the purchase location of the cartridge and 3DS are of no relevance?

Hiya, I'm new to chat boards such as this. I would like to change my profile picture, how would I go about doing so?

Edit: figured it out already.

when you view your profile page, click the image in the upper-left hand corner. a screen will pop-up, and you can upload a file there.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-225479032

How to protect oneself from this kinda stuff?

Was this loss due to poor strategy? Or is it just the joy of randoms and nothing can be done?

And I'm asking as the victor of this battle :)
Random is kind of just based on luck. Considering you pulled out Huntail on Golduck with Encore, I would have most likely Encored first to scout for your setup anyway. However again that's why Random is random, there honestly isn't really that much strategy involved.

I've got a question regarding Ditto. I know transforming copies all stats except HP. But how about when a mon is affected by a status condition? I know it doesn't copy the status itself, but does it copy the other side effect of it (speed drop, attack drop, etc.)

Example: I'm up against a Kangaskhan. The Kangaskhan has 400 Attack. But it's burned, making its Attack stat 200. If I send in a Ditto,which transforms into the Kangaskhan, will it have 200 or 400 Attack?

I've got a question regarding Ditto. I know transforming copies all stats except HP. But how about when a mon is affected by a status condition? I know it doesn't copy the status itself, but does it copy the other side effect of it (speed drop, attack drop, etc.)

Example: I'm up against a Kangaskhan. The Kangaskhan has 400 Attack. But it's burned, making its Attack stat 200. If I send in a Ditto,which transforms into the Kangaskhan, will it have 200 or 400 Attack?
It doesn't copy status conditions, and the status condition is what halves the attack. Thus I'm pretty sure your attack will not be affected by the burn condition.

So I had a sweet anything goes battle.
The twist was that i accidentally brought my NU team.
Now I'm just wondering where to share this thing.
Any recommendations?

Hey there everyone I am just curious as too why i am locked out off chatting? I haven't done anything that would get me banned or muted at all? I thought it was something wrong with my rank but im in the 1500's so i should be able to post? Also when i try to message mod it keeps saying this.. You can only private message members of the moderation team (users marked by %, @, &, or ~) when locked. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

It doesn't. 100% sure.

I have recently been seeing several members of the community being congratulated on being promoted to moderator. Of course, I want to congratulate them, but I don't know who's been promoted. Is there a forum where I can see these things? The same thing applies to badges.

I have recently been seeing several members of the community being congratulated on being promoted to moderator. Of course, I want to congratulate them, but I don't know who's been promoted. Is there a forum where I can see these things? The same thing applies to badges.
Most of the threads about promotions exist in badgeholder-only forums, unfortunately. :(

edit: though forums tend to announce publicly when they promote new moderators

Most of the threads about promotions exist in badgeholder-only forums, unfortunately. :(

edit: though forums tend to announce publicly when they promote new moderators
Thanks for your answer. I suppose now I shall have to get a badge to be informed.

Last year when XY came out I slightly got into competitive, focusing more on doubles since they interested me more. I learned how to breed IVs and EV train, but I never really got the hang of understanding the metagame and creating my own teams since I basically just copied people's team. I kind of stopped trying to play competitively though because I got a little frustrated because of these barriers, but I really want to get back into it! So basically my question is, do you guys have any tips on how to get to the point where I can understand the metagame pretty well?

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Last year when XY came out I slightly got into competitive, focusing more on doubles since they interested me more. I learned how to breed IVs and EV train, but I never really got the hang of understanding the metagame and creating my own teams since I basically just copied people's team. I kind of stopped trying to play competitively though because I got a little frustrated because of these barriers, but I really want to get back into it! So basically my question is, do you guys have any tips on how to get to the point where I can understand the metagame pretty well?
Hey Mr. Gills! You could try signing up for the Battling 101 Program to learn from some of the more experienced players. Our tutors would give you advice on how to become a better player and offer some help on the different tiers and such, so I think it would be rewarding for you.

I am thinking of a name change, and I had a few questions about it. First, does capitalization matter? If the account "whatever" is taken, but not "Whatever", is a name change allowed to "Whatever"? Also, do accent marks count as a different name?

Thanks

I am thinking of a name change, and I had a few questions about it. First, does capitalization matter? If the account "whatever" is taken, but not "Whatever", is a name change allowed to "Whatever"? Also, do accent marks count as a different name?

Thanks
Capitalization doesn't count. Accent marks don't count as a different name either, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
seemed like the best place to ask this but some avatars randomly become blurry? this has happened to me multiple times (esp. when seeing avatars in 'following' list). don't have a screenshot but will do so when i find that happening again

Um this is a new post and my first ever one --
I tried to apply for a Tutor but i couldnt post there because of 'not having the right privileges' and would like to know if i am allowed to..
Sorry if this isnt the right place

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)