SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find it ironic that he has a Snorlax. The laziest Pokemon, owned by the most energetic character. Then again, as someone else already posted, Cyrus has a Crobat.
Someone has to make up the lazy that Barry doesn't have.

Still doesn't explain why his Heracross changes abilities in Pokémon Platinum though . . .
I'm guessing an error. :P Honestly it never took the advantage of Guts so honestly Swarm was the better Ability to power-up its Megahorn.

OR, since it switched from having Guts the first time you faced it to Swarm for all the other, when it first faced the player it was ready to show its stuff... only to be swiftly knocked out. Since then it lost it Guts, and since a Pokemon needs to have an Ability, its gained Swarm. OR, it lost its Guts after the first battle and decided to do more sneaky and underhanded tactics like Swarming its opponent.

If you want a "serious" in-universe explanation maybe he got another Heracross (with all the Honey he probably smothered maybe he wound up catching two Heracross) and tested to see which one he would keep against us. Honestly that's not a fair way to judge since we've easily beaten Barry before so its not the Heracross fault they lost, but Barry probably waited so long to get them and a Munchlax that he didn't want to waste even more time figuring which was the one best to keep. So he used one against us and if it lost (which its doomed to) it got released. Of course had he given the one with Guts a Toxic Orb it may have been the better choice.

BUT if they make a Sinnoh Remake and keep that in it would no longer be a mistake as you could explain it away with the Ability Capsule. :P

Prior to gen 6, Azurill could change gender when it evolved into Marill. I don't want to think about how that works out...
Azurill no longer can switch genders? Yet Azurill's Gender Ratio is still different from Marill's (you'd think correcting the ratio would be an easier fix than specifically programming it so that Azurill's gender didn't change upon evolution).

As Karxrida said it was a glitch, though people justified in-universe by using the frog explanation that Mew King mentioned. And yes, the Marill family are mammals and not amphibians, but I think we can give some leeway to the elemental monster that can spew out more water than its body can physically carry at high pressures. :P

I'm pretty sure Azurill's gender ratio it was just an oversight that they refused to change for whatever arbitrary reason.
I know it's just an oversight, but it's still something weird to think about.

I've personally had an Azurill change to a male upon evolution in gen 4.

But the Azurill family is more closely related to mammals, I thought? Azumarill is the aquarabbit Pokemon, after all.
This is where my vast and random pool of knowledge comes in handy!
There is something called 5-alpha reductase deficiency that affects human males. This can cause them to appear to have androgynous or even feminine genitals. I.e., dude looks like a lady. Around puberty, their actual gender starts to reveal itself. It is fairly common in one small village in the Dominican Republic (about 1 in 90 males). Common enough to have a nickname.
This is actually very similar to Azurill:
Appears female, but once it can actually breed becomes a male.

There is something called 5-alpha reductase deficiency that affects human males. This can cause them to appear to have androgynous or even feminine genitals. I.e., dude looks like a lady. Around puberty, their actual gender starts to reveal itself. It is fairly common in one small village in the Dominican Republic (about 1 in 90 males). Common enough to have a nickname.
I like this theorem. It helps that Azurill cannot breed.

The true reason for the oversight is simple: GameFreak are lazy bastards:
Azurill is literally a copy of cleffa. And they didn't bother changing the gender ratio for it because as you know, Cleffa has a legit 75%/25% ratio

Azurill is literally a copy of cleffa. And they didn't bother changing the gender ratio for it because as you know, Cleffa has a legit 75%/25% ratio
Meh, I still like the idea of Azurill more than Cleffa. It's also nice how you can choose whether or not to hatch Azurill, because believe me, breeding a competitive Clefable is a chore.

Meh, I still like the idea of Azurill more than Cleffa. It's also nice how you can choose whether or not to hatch Azurill, because believe me, breeding a competitive Clefable is a chore.
On the other hand, breeding a competitive Wobbuffet is a chore for the opposite reason. No way to hold the incense, everstone, and destiny knot at the same time... Then again, you only REALLY need max HP, Def, and SpDef for one so it's...alright I guess.

I've been kinda not wanting to post in this thread... But my general curiosity has me intrigued.

Whoever runs the Pokemon "Countries" is almost totally inept. Most cities have next to no Police Force or anything of the like. Not even Hospitals. Of Fire Service (excluding Vermillion). Is Pokemon set so far in the future that humans do not get ill/sick any more? Even in the anime, there is very little cause for concern when a person gets "hurt" compared to when a Pokemon does. In general, there are loads of things in Pokemon which are totally opposed to each other. Routes and areas between cities have little in the way of roads (though they have been shown, but only to move around goods), or any other infrastructure. In all the games so far, we've only seen ONE factory (Pokeballs) and some Power Plants (I think). Pokemon World in general seems to have a far smaller population then "our" world. Even factoring scales of 10,000x, the biggest cities barely cover a million people. Where is everyone?

This brings me to my next point: Officer Jenny is the only person consistently seen with a motor vehicle of any kind (her motorbike). Cynthia had a jeep, Scott had a sports car. Walking is the preferred method of travelling for almost everyone (and Bikes I guess) except when its super long distance. We've seen PLENTY of boats (in fact, boats are probably more common in the Anime/games than any other form of transport), and a few planes and bizarrely enough I vaguely remember a blimp. Trains are also fairly common, but their technology is either miles ahead of ours (I know Maglev trains now exist, but they are still extremely rare), or is pretty similar (the TGV style train to Kiloude in XY and the Subway trains).

Do the abundance of Pokemon mean that just Flying everywhere is a totally viable option? Does this mean that within a "country" there may only be one or two ways "out" to another? You simply fly on your Pokemon to that city, board a plane to go somewhere else?

Technology is something in Pokemon World which is either so fantastically ahead of ours (Pyramid King Brandon's flying contraption springs to mind) or totally backwards (Team Rockets Balloon). They have the ability to transport living creatures over phonelines/internet. Team Rocket, seemingly totally inept, have made some of the most amazing/technologically advanced weapons I have ever seen from scraps. Yet in other places people live in log cabins, or randomly miles away from all known civilisation (especially in the anime).

Maybe it's just a lot of handwaving, but there is something very odd going on with the technology in Pokemon. Energy needs are obviously met by Pokemon, which means there is unlikely to be warfare in modern times.

Secondly: How exactly are Gym Leaders/Elite 4 chosen? Frontier Brains are seemingly hand picked by Scott (as evidenced by him requesting Ash to become one). But no clear lineage is made for Gym Leaders. Brock's father gave it to Brock, and then Brock handed it to his little Brother. Are there no age or experience requirements? Forrest seemed to be less than Ten even so... How could he possibly qualify as a Gym Leader? What towns/cities get to have Gyms? How is that decided? Slateport is a pretty big city in Hoenn, but doesn't have a gym, whereas Lavaridge Town (which is pretty small) does. I know they've generally had a split of Contests/Gyms in Hoenn, but in that case for the games, why can you not progress with Contest Wins over Gym Badges?

@_@ Wow that was a bit more ranty than I thought rofl.
In B2W2, there were trucks going above the desert on a road.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But that doesn't sound like a female turning to a male but rather a male who's body has a characteristic of a female pre-maturity.

Also frogs aren't the only animals who can change gender; several fish, gastropods, plants, and bugs also can change their gender. Its called sequential hermaphroditism (though it looks like its only one way, each change having its own term explained in the wikipedia article). And while its true no mammal seems to go through the transformation, once again Pokemon aren't your normal animals; I think they can bend the rules a bit (not like they meant for this to happen, made evident by preventing Azurill from changing gender upon evolution in Gen VI).

What? Cleffa and Azurill have little relating to each other:

Same: Type (previous to Gen VI), Gender Ration, Catch Rate, Egg Group (both are Baby Pokemon), & Leveling Rate
Different: Abilities (all of them are different), Hatch Time, Height, Weight, Base Experience Yield, EV Yield (both may give 1, but its for a different stat), Base Friendship, Stats (HP is the only stat that's the same, everything else is different including the BST), & Movepool (not only in moves but what level they learn certain moves)

Don't know why its a Normal-type though. Don't now if it was this thread or another but I theorized the reason it was a Normal-type is because since its tail was so buoyant it can't fully utilize its water trait until it evolves and is able to pull its tail underwater.

On the other hand, breeding a competitive Wobbuffet is a chore for the opposite reason. No way to hold the incense, everstone, and destiny knot at the same time... Then again, you only REALLY need max HP, Def, and SpDef for one so it's...alright I guess.
Wobbuffett actually does care about its speed to an extent, because there's those one or two things it can outspeed and Encore (Reuniclus and Amoongus after Sleep Clause) if it gets perfect speed and doesn't use a tanking nature. Since Wobbuffett's main niche is encoring to create set-up chances on offensive teams, no reason to miss out on targets like that.

Azurill at the very least doesn't carry any Egg Moves worth caring about. Fucking Extrasensory Roserade is a nightmare to breed: Needs an incense, Nature, and lord help you if you're going for offensive Technician (HP Fire IVs and HA).

To bring up a conspiracy theory, how does the multiverse theory overlap with the existence of Fairy types? The original Gen 3 games and all games within its timeline/universe, Pokemon like Clefairy and Granbull don't have the Fairy typing. ORAS raised the concept of transfer between the dimensions being possible. If a Pokemon like Azumarill or Clefable was brought from the vanilla RSE universe to the ORAS universe, would they suddenly exhibit Fairy Typing characteristics, or still more closely resemble their original forms? Would Fairy type moves, such as Moonblast still be Fairy if they went back to RSE, or become something like Normal or ??? type?

Which raises another possibility: the main notable difference between the two universes is touted as being the firing of Ultimate Weapon, which also played a role in the advent of Mega Evolutions. The Ultimate Weapon in at least some version was powered by/compatible with Xerneas, one of only two Legendary Fairy types (barring Pixie Plate Arceus), the other being Diancie, who is able to Mega Evolve.
- Are Fairies a side-effect of Ultimate Energy allowing Mega Evolution, perhaps by mutation? Besides re-typing, it's worth noting that although some Pokemon (Altaria and Audino) gain secondary Fairy typing on Mega Evolving, no Pokemon loses even a Secondary Fairy typing upon Mega Evolving; secondary typing always being the one to change to my knowledge (Zard-X and Gyarados' Flying types).
- Diancie's mutation from a Carbink might be the result of this energy as well, since its stat increase over Carbink is exactly 100. Also noteworthy that it is the only Gen 6 Pokemon (currently) that can Mega Evolve, meaning it is the only one with some type of affinity for stones with such energy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
To bring up a conspiracy theory, how does the multiverse theory overlap with the existence of Fairy types? The original Gen 3 games and all games within its timeline/universe, Pokemon like Clefairy and Granbull don't have the Fairy typing. ORAS raised the concept of transfer between the dimensions being possible. If a Pokemon like Azumarill or Clefable was brought from the vanilla RSE universe to the ORAS universe, would they suddenly exhibit Fairy Typing characteristics, or still more closely resemble their original forms? Would Fairy type moves, such as Moonblast still be Fairy if they went back to RSE, or become something like Normal or ??? type?

Which raises another possibility: the main notable difference between the two universes is touted as being the firing of Ultimate Weapon, which also played a role in the advent of Mega Evolutions. The Ultimate Weapon in at least some version was powered by/compatible with Xerneas, one of only two Legendary Fairy types (barring Pixie Plate Arceus), the other being Diancie, who is able to Mega Evolve.
- Are Fairies a side-effect of Ultimate Energy allowing Mega Evolution, perhaps by mutation? Besides re-typing, it's worth noting that although some Pokemon (Altaria and Audino) gain secondary Fairy typing on Mega Evolving, no Pokemon loses even a Secondary Fairy typing upon Mega Evolving; secondary typing always being the one to change to my knowledge (Zard-X and Gyarados' Flying types).
- Diancie's mutation from a Carbink might be the result of this energy as well, since its stat increase over Carbink is exactly 100. Also noteworthy that it is the only Gen 6 Pokemon (currently) that can Mega Evolve, meaning it is the only one with some type of affinity for stones with such energy.
Well it all depends whether Fairy-types exist in the non-Mega Timeline. Because of this I'll be splitting my answer:

Fairy Exists In Non-Mega Timeline: This isn't the first time a new type was discovered and that caused a change. Gen II introduced the Dark- and Steel-type which caused the Magnemite family to become Electric/Steel and the move Bite to become Dark-type.
So with that said, I imagine there would be no difference between the Fairy-types between the timelines. The games sort of treat a new type as a retcon, as if the type has always existed. Honestly a new type is a meta thing, as why wouldn't people notice that the Pokemon who were Fairy- or part Fairy-type had different weaknesses and resistances (especially pure Fairy-types)?
Of course, with that said, I believe in Gen II it was actually said Dark- and Steel-types were new types in-universe (Jasmine used to train Rock-types but when her Onix evolved she discovered the Steel-types and she became a Steel-type Gym Leader). So with that said it could be possible that certain types are exclusive to certain regions and once these regions join the international community (probably due to the Pokedex project) the type "spreads" and awakens that type within the Pokemon in other regions. Like the Clefairy family was Normal-type pre-Gen VI, but when Kalos joined the Pokedex Project and the international community the Fairy-type trigger which was contained in Kalos spread to other regions probably from people and Pokemon being exposed to things from Kalos.

Fairy Doesn't Exist In Non-Mega Timeline: If a Pokemon who wasn't part Fairy-type before Gen VI was traded to a Gen VI game where its species is Fairy-type, they obviously would change to Fairy-type probably after being exposed to that universe's physics and radiation (which you could use why they can't go back to the non-Mega Timeline, though that's once again more a meta thing since the no backwards compatibility existed from Gen IV onwards).
And I would think newly introduced Fairy-type Pokemon, Moves, and Abilites probably wouldn't exist or would be different types.
I don't think the Ultimate Weapon has anything to do with Fairy-types since obviously Floette existed before it. Also the Ultimate Weapon has nothing to do with Xerneas and Yveltal, Lysandre used them as the power source for his plans but originally AZ used the life force of many Pokemon to power it. The only difference that the Ultimate Weapon caused to the Pokemon World at large was harnessing the energy to allow for Mega Evolutions to happen.
Just because no part Fairy-type lost its Fairy-type through Mega Evolution that we know of doesn't mean anything. Also I would like to point out that Kirlia loses its Fairy-type when it evolves into Gallade.
I'll give you that Diancie may have something to do with Mega Evolution, or at the very least the Mega Stones. However both Carbink and Diancie are Rock-types with a strong gem theme, so I think that also plays a big role in them being affected.

pika pal said:
the main notable difference between the two universes is touted as being the firing of Ultimate Weapon, which also played a role in the advent of Mega Evolutions.
Another difference between the two universes is the creation of sootopolis. In RSE, the sootopolis crater is a dormant volcano, whereas in ORAS, the sootopolis crater is created by a meteorite. I believe that the meteorite has something to do with mega evolution. If I remember correctly, in the delta episode rayquaza swallows a meteor allowing him to mega evolve, which implies that (certain) meteors have mega evolution powers. Perhaps the meteor that hit sootopolis was made out of a special type of stone that reacts with certain pokemon to allow mega evolution. Basically the meteor hit sootopolis, then exploded sending deposits of different mega stones all over the Pokemon world.

Another difference between the two universes is the creation of sootopolis. In RSE, the sootopolis crater is a dormant volcano, whereas in ORAS, the sootopolis crater is created by a meteorite. I believe that the meteorite has something to do with mega evolution. If I remember correctly, in the delta episode rayquaza swallows a meteor allowing him to mega evolve, which implies that (certain) meteors have mega evolution powers. Perhaps the meteor that hit sootopolis was made out of a special type of stone that reacts with certain pokemon to allow mega evolution. Basically the meteor hit sootopolis, then exploded sending deposits of different mega stones all over the Pokemon world.
Actually, you reminded me of this question. How can Rayquaza not from ORAS Mega Evolve? Especially if they come from pre-Gen VI games. It was only able to Mega Evolve because of the meteorite's power (that it ingested). The other Rayquazas never really came into contact with the meteor. They just learned Dragon Ascent. Even if they did come into contact with meteors, Mega Evolution never existed in any other universe. Also, how can just knowing that move affect it Mega Evolving? I think it's mentioned in the games, but I just forget...

Actually, you reminded me of this question. How can Rayquaza not from ORAS Mega Evolve? Especially if they come from pre-Gen VI games. It was only able to Mega Evolve because of the meteorite's power (that it ingested). The other Rayquazas never really came into contact with the meteor. They just learned Dragon Ascent. Even if they did come into contact with meteors, Mega Evolution never existed in any other universe. Also, how can just knowing that move affect it Mega Evolving? I think it's mentioned in the games, but I just forget...
Gameplay and Story Segregation is my bet.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As Random Passerby said, gameplay and story segregation. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if next gen they nerf Mega Rayquaza by requiring to have an item to Mega Evolve (maybe even with XY2).

Anyway, if I were to make up an in-universe reason, I would say that it's not we need to explain why other Rayquaza's are able to Mega Evolve but rather what happened to the Rayquaza of ORAS that it needed the meteorite we had? It seems to me its the ORAS Rayquaza that had been weakened in some way. Since all other Rayquaza would be coming from a non-Mega Timeline, it could be that being transferred to the Mega Timeline freshly exposed them to the Infinity Energy radiation needed for Mega Evolution so it's "active" within them. However ORAS Rayquaza, being a natural resident of the Mega Timeline, had gotten use to the Infinity Energy and needs to maintain the ability to Mega Evolve by eating pieces of meteor in orbit (though by the time ORAS took place it either couldn't eat enough of became complacent and didn't bother keeping the Infinity Energy in it built up (a mistake it probably won't ever make again, it probably feels a bit embarrassed about that)).

As Random Passerby said, gameplay and story segregation. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if next gen they nerf Mega Rayquaza by requiring to have an item to Mega Evolve (maybe even with XY2).

Anyway, if I were to make up an in-universe reason, I would say that it's not we need to explain why other Rayquaza's are able to Mega Evolve but rather what happened to the Rayquaza of ORAS that it needed the meteorite we had? It seems to me its the ORAS Rayquaza that had been weakened in some way. Since all other Rayquaza would be coming from a non-Mega Timeline, it could be that being transferred to the Mega Timeline freshly exposed them to the Infinity Energy radiation needed for Mega Evolution so it's "active" within them. However ORAS Rayquaza, being a natural resident of the Mega Timeline, had gotten use to the Infinity Energy and needs to maintain the ability to Mega Evolve by eating pieces of meteor in orbit (though by the time ORAS took place it either couldn't eat enough of became complacent and didn't bother keeping the Infinity Energy in it built up (a mistake it probably won't ever make again, it probably feels a bit embarrassed about that)).
They haven't taken the Nerf bat to Mega Kangaskhan, or Mega Gengar, and Rayquaza is usually banned in VGC anyway. They're not likely going to bother forcing it to hold a 'Jade Orb' or 'Rayquazite' to Mega Evolve after already establishing it just needs to know Dragon Ascent.

What's a little more odd is the fact the Weather Trio can't Mega Evolve/Primal Revert even with what they need to do it until you've seen them do it in the story. (in Groudon/Kyogre's case, whichever one is awakened in your version will do for both)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
They haven't taken the Nerf bat to Mega Kangaskhan, or Mega Gengar, and Rayquaza is usually banned in VGC anyway. They're not likely going to bother forcing it to hold a 'Jade Orb' or 'Rayquazite' to Mega Evolve after already establishing it just needs to know Dragon Ascent.

What's a little more odd is the fact the Weather Trio can't Mega Evolve/Primal Revert even with what they need to do it until you've seen them do it in the story. (in Groudon/Kyogre's case, whichever one is awakened in your version will do for both)
But the difference between Mega Rayquaza and Mega Kangaskhan/Gengar is that they, along with the other Mega Evolutions, have a disadvantage. In order to Mega Evolve they pay the price by not being able to use an item. Mega Rayquaza meanwhile has no disadvantages to it. It can still hold an item and Dragon Ascent is a move you would WANT on Rayquaza so it's not like you're limiting its moveset (and even then you're just "taking away" 1 of its moves, it still has 3 others). While all other Mega Evolutions needs to pay a price, Mega Rayquaza is being allowed a major power-up free of charge.

As for your second point, I guess maybe the Red/Blue Orb isn't active yet until the point in the story where Groudon/Kyogre Mega Evolves. As for Rayquaza, I have no idea, maybe Rayquaza refuses to do it until you've proven yourself to the Draconids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)