5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

I'm on the verge of giving up. I'm trying to RNG a shiny Naive 30/31/30/31/31/31 Thundurus in White and I can't for the life of me get the frame. I'm starting to think the game just skips the frame or something.

At 0 advances, I get a PID frame of 428, 453 or 623
At 20, I find either 474 or 476 as the most logical frame and then at 30 one of them is 481 and finally, at 50 I find a 501. Seems pretty obvious that my SSF is 453, right?

My target frame is 748, so 748 - 453 = 295.

At 280, I get 737 or 833.
At 281 I've seen 766 and 743 (different nature)
At 282, there's 739.
283-288 are all 744 most likely.
At 290 I get 727 or 751 as the most likely frame.
At 291, there's 743 or 777.
At 292 and 294, there's 750 or 775.
At 293, there's 755 or 835.
At 295, I get 746.
At 296, 298 and 300, I get 749.
Then, 297 and 299 get 742 as the most logical frame.

Now, this is just a small glimpse of the stuff I've written down (and I should've actually written down how many times I hit a certain frame...)

Then, at 302, I get 818 and 834 as "okay" frames. 305 and 308 get 820 so that would mean I'm actually far off? But from the data starting at 280, it does seem I'm at around the frame I should be, right?

Do I just 295 over and over and over again until I get it? Or should I just get a non-shiny Naive one (60 advances in)? =X

I have experienced very much of the same. As far as I know, there isn't much you can do about it. It seems the game skips some frames, and sometimes I couldn't tell which frame I was hitting at all.

My advice is to try and look for a seed whose date matches a day with snowy weather. Snow advances the PID RNG in a much slower fashion than rain. Using this, I was finally able to hit my target frame.

Edit: if I'm not mistaken, the Gen V guide on-site has a compilation of all days that have snow. If it's not in the RNG Reporter guide, try looking at the PPRNG Roamer Abuse guide.

I have experienced very much of the same. As far as I know, there isn't much you can do about it. It seems the game skips some frames, and sometimes I couldn't tell which frame I was hitting at all.

My advice is to try and look for a seed whose date matches a day with snowy weather. Snow advances the PID RNG in a much slower fashion than rain. Using this, I was finally able to hit my target frame.

Edit: if I'm not mistaken, the Gen V guide on-site has a compilation of all days that have snow. If it's not in the RNG Reporter guide, try looking at the PPRNG Roamer Abuse guide.
I see, I actually searched for a seed specifically to RNG in the summer so that it would be easier. Or so they said...

Thanks, I'll try that. =)

Edit: oh, wait, doesn't that mean that the game will go through the seasons and won't that screw up the RNG if I find a different seed (I'm obviously saved in the house)?

I see, I actually searched for a seed specifically to RNG in the summer so that it would be easier. Or so they said...

Thanks, I'll try that. =)
I tried doing it on all seasons, but the only one that worked was my snowy seed. This isn't any hard evidence, naturally, but were I to do it again, I'd begin from there.

EDIT: I had the same worry about season changes, but in the end it worked, so I guess it's just a matter of perseverance. The advances are already inconsistent enough that if you can calibrate through them, you can probably calibrate through season change too.

Last edited:
oh wait, nvm you are right... got confused with 4th gen roamers... my bad (this reminds me I haven't RNGed my Thundurus in White cart yet lol)

Hello,

I'm a bit confused to why 5th gen time finder lists the shiny frame encounter slot as 8 but when I paste the seed into the RNG reporter the shiny frame encounter slot changes to 4.

The encounter type if Wild Pokemon Cave Spot because I'm trying to catch a shiny Tynamo.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

I'm a bit confused to why 5th gen time finder lists the shiny frame encounter slot as 8 but when I paste the seed into the RNG reporter the shiny frame encounter slot changes to 4.

The encounter type if Wild Pokemon Cave Spot because I'm trying to catch a shiny Tynamo.
Please list the seed, your TID and SID, and which frame is the shiny frame you're targeting.

Any help right now would just be pure guesswork unless you can direct people to the specific case to look at.

I have now RNG'd every stationary legendary Pokémon (bar Landorus as I don't have Thundurus yet), the Lostlorn Forrest Zoroark, the gift Zorua, the stationary Volcarona and a couple Wondercard Event Pokémon in Pokémon Black and I have also RNG bred about 30 Pokémon. I've had no problem so far but for whatever reason I'm unable to RNG the Larvesta Egg in Route 18. I saved in front of the guy who gives the egg so when I've hit my seed all I do is advance the PIDRNG frame with Chatot pitches so that I'll get a Modest nature. After that I just hit A and talk to the guy and he gives the egg. I've done this three times now. On every occasion I got the desired nature (Modest) but the IV's were 31/31/31/31/31/11. So everything else was as desired but Speed. I also made sure that on both occasions the NPC girl in the house did not move at all before I received the egg. What am I doing wrong?

My seed is FC4AA3AC43839F17. (31/31/31/31/31/31) I used this for all the gift/starionary Pokémon and it worked fine.

Method: IV's (Standard Seed)
Encounter Type: Larvesta Egg
Encounter Slot: Any
Min/Max Frame: 1/1

Nature: Any
Ability: Any
Ratio: Any

My DS Parameters:
Version: Black
Language: English
ID: 50205
SID: 30197
DS MAC Address: 1656162A93
Keypresses: None
VCount: 60
GxStat: 6
VFrame: 8
Timer0 Min: C7C
Timer0 Max: C7C
DS Type: Original\Lite

I searched it from the Adjacent Seed Tool and apparently this Larvesta is from IV Frame 2. How is this possible as I didn't advance the IV frame at all? Seems like I have to use a seed that has an IV frame of 2 then, right?

Last edited:
With the Shiny Charm, (one of) the shiny encounter slot(s) is 8 (as well as 1 and 4). Without the Shiny Charm only 4 is available.

I believe this is an old issue that was never fixed on RNGReporter. The Larvesta egg uses frame 2.
Thanks. I searched an IV frame of 2 and got it with the desired IV's (and Nature).

So, I'm trying to RNG my Black 2 file. I can't seem to hit my seed for TID/SID manip.

The thing is, when I was doing Dream Radar abuse, I was pretty consistently hitting a Timer0 of 1104, but I remember from way back when, that I tried to RNG (non-shiny) legends with a Timer0 of 1106 or 1107 (I don't remember which one, I have all three saved). Is there a difference in the methods or is it just dumb luck and the usual lol Timer0 trollage?

And as for TID/SID manip, is there a general rule for what combination you manipulate? In B/W, it's probably best to RNG your combi for a roamer, but as there's no roamer (like Thundy) in BW2, you can just manip any combination? I'm currently RNGing the TID/SID for a mixed starter.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
So, I'm trying to RNG my Black 2 file. I can't seem to hit my seed for TID/SID manip.

The thing is, when I was doing Dream Radar abuse, I was pretty consistently hitting a Timer0 of 1104, but I remember from way back when, that I tried to RNG (non-shiny) legends with a Timer0 of 1106 or 1107 (I don't remember which one, I have all three saved). Is there a difference in the methods or is it just dumb luck and the usual lol Timer0 trollage?

And as for TID/SID manip, is there a general rule for what combination you manipulate? In B/W, it's probably best to RNG your combi for a roamer, but as there's no roamer (like Thundy) in BW2, you can just manip any combination? I'm currently RNGing the TID/SID for a mixed starter.
The seed is determined before you can even do anything so there is no difference in methods. It's probably just the usual timer trolling.

Aside from it having to say "true" if you want it shiny (iirc), it doesn't matter what combo you manipulate. Just pick whatever ones you like, or which ones make a decent frame shiny. Just a word of warning: Getting the right PID frame is a pain with all the NPCs when you go to rng your starter. I'd keep that in mind when you chose your frame (and thereby IDs).

With the Shiny Charm, (one of) the shiny encounter slot(s) is 8 (as well as 1 and 4). Without the Shiny Charm only 4 is available.
Where does RNG Reporter say the shiny charm is required? Are you saying with the shiny charm there are three shiny frames?

So does timefinder show the encounter slot assuming that you have the shiny charm but when the seed is generated it does?

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
With a shiny charm it makes the frame before and after a shiny frame (as well as keeping the usual one) shiny as well.
I have no idea where it says that on RNGReporter I'm afraid (I use PPRNG).

I'm still a bit confused to why Timefinder would say that the shiny frame 530 is an encounter slot 8 with a synchronize nature but with the seed generated the encounter slot 8 is frame 529 and a brave nature that can't be changed with synchronize. I know now that the shiny charm would make frame 529 shiny but then the nature is wrong.

.com

Grumpy old man
I'm still a bit confused to why Timefinder would say that the shiny frame 530 is an encounter slot 8 with a synchronize nature but with the seed generated the encounter slot 8 is frame 529 and a brave nature that can't be changed with synchronize. I know now that the shiny charm would make frame 529 shiny but then the nature is wrong.
Please don't double post.

Also, if you don't mind, list all your details for your calibration:
Game:
Language:
Mac Address:
Timer0:
VCount:
VFrame:
(Anything else I might be forgetting:)
Lead Pokémon's ability:

Frames and other things can be a little off with different parameters so I can't check properly without basically copying your RNG Profile.

Game: White 2
Language: English
Mac Address: 9CE635D74A93
Timer0: 167B
VCount: AD
VFrame: 8
Key Presses: Start-Right-L (for the seed)
DS type: 3DS
Lead pokemon ability: Synchronize

Thanks!
Timefinder and Generation.png

Maybe this helps?

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
Ah... This looks like a bug in the search algorithm for RNG Reporter.

On Swirling Dust (and similar) spots, the shiny frame lands 1 frame earlier than in other spots (Frame 530 rather than 531).

But when looking at frame 530 for normal spots (not swirling dust or similar) this would indeed be Encounter slot 8.

It looks like it's calculating Encounter slots as per the normal spots when it should be doing swirling dust.

Advice:
I think you need to find a guide for swirling dust RNG abuse anyways though. IV Frame 1 and PID Frame 500 both seem very low to attempt it.

.com

Grumpy old man
Does the encounter type wild pokemon work in caves or does it have to be wild pokemon (cave spot)?
In caves it's just the same as grass. Cave Spot is those swirling patches of dust.
You need a higher PID frame since you're going to have to walk through a lot of spots while waiting for one to appear; and you need a higher IV frame for the same reason (so it's safest to take 128 steps exactly and ensure you stop 1 step away from the swirling dust after that and then do your advances).
But for in a cave, just the standard method is used (don't know how RNG Reporter refers to it, but it's (suggestively) called "Grass / Cave" on PPRNG).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)