The Any Tier Tournament - Round 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Original concept by munchyoshi

Thank you Minus for the banner!
This tournament exists to explore every Smogon Tier, and to see how quickly players can adapt to new ruleset. I think it will be interesting to see that players who normally play OU will have to explore tiers like Inverse Battle.

- Standard banlist applies for each tier (all matches should be conducted on Showdown, exception being GSC battles you can play on PO)
- Will be a Bo5 match with the tiers randomly decided from this list of 39 competitive tiers:

RBY Ubers
RBY OU
RBY UU
GSC Ubers
GSC OU
GSC UU
ADV Ubers
ADV OU
ADV UU
ADV NU
DPP Ubers
DPP OU
DPP UU
DPP NU
DPP LC
BW Ubers
BW OU
BW UU
BW RU
BW NU
BW LC
BW Doubles
ORAS Ubers
ORAS OU
ORAS UU
ORAS RU
ORAS NU
ORAS PU
ORAS LC
ORAS Doubles
Smogon Triples
Battle Spot Singles
Battle Spot Doubles
Inverse Battles
Sky Battles
VGC 2014
VGC 2013
VGC 2012

Battle Rules:

Person listed on the left chooses first.
Loser chooses the next battle.
Bo5, so first to win 3 wins series.
Save your replays.

Pairings:

dEnIsSsS vs Mr.378 (ORAS OU, GSC Ubers, BW UU, ORAS RU, DPP Ubers)
reachzero vs srk1214 (ORAS NU, GSC OU, RBY UU, DPP LC, ADV UU)
Fortune vs pokebasket (ORAS PU, ADV NU, ORAS Doubles, DPP UU, RBY Ubers)
Hantsuki vs Alf' (RBY OU, VGC 2012, ORAS LC, DPP OU, BW RU)

Deadline:
Deadline for this round is Monday, April 27th. pokebasket/BLINGAS have until Tuesday, April 21st.

Last edited:
Will try to get this done asap. Conflicting timezones and schedules have been hard to deal with. If we don't get this done soon feel free to give him the win.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so we played all five of our games, two of which srk1214 clearly won, two of which I clearly won. The problem game was RBY UU--srk1214 apparently asked a friend for an RBY UU team, and brought that team to our battle. Problem was, four of his Pokemon were BL, and one was OU. Here is the replay:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogtours-gen1ou-53541
Do I win because he brought BLmons? Should we replay with valid teams? My team was already revealed, and building another isn't such an easy thing to do...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Isa knows what is and isn't UU considering he basically made the tier list http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...on-and-evaluation.3533616/page-2#post-6136851

The purpose of that thread was to determine what Smogon's tier should reflect. As a result of the discussion I basically made the Smogon tier list the one in that post.

I assume the team srk brought was made with the now old Smogon tier list in mind.

It's up to you reachzero if you want to allow a rematch or not with valid teams. It's a bad idea to blindly accept teams from people anyway.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya, so reachzero and I went 2-2 with me winning ADV UU and ORAS NU and him winning GSC OU and DPP LC

The situation becomes complicated when it comes to RBY UU. reachzero built a team himself based on the tags in the Dex. His mons are all very clearly legal in UU. I on the other hand asked Isa (who I believe to be a reliable source of RBY knowledge) for a team. I never checked the team Isa gave me against the tags on the Dex, as I know basically nothing about RBY and saw no reason to doubt him (and was already spending substantial time figuring out what I was doing for the other tiers).

The team Isa gave me however has many mons that are not UU according to the Dex and so reachzero naturally thinks the team was illegal, which I agree it may be. So, what's the actual tierlist for RBY UU? And what tierlist did Isa believe to be accurate when he gave me the team? (Like I can't find anything rn that suggests Jolteon is UU, but he gave me a team with Jolteon lol)

Potential outcomes:
1) IF my team was actually somehow legal
- I still wouldn't want to take the win as I was playing with an unfair advantage based on reachzero relying on inaccurate Dex tags

2) IF my team is illegal
- I forfeit the game and the series (obviously not my preference) and Isa is forumbanned for misleading me :(
- A rematch is done in RBY UU with legal teams (not desirable as neither of us really wants to build a new team)
- A third alternative could be that Oglemi draws a new random tier and we play in that

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like srk's third suggestion since RBY UU was a pretty terrible tier to begin with. If you would be so kind, Oglemi, as to assign us another random tier, we'll settle this as real men, with Pokemon.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I won the skybattles, good series reachzero. Thanks for agreeing to do a rematch in a different tier given the RBY UU mess.

After the RBY Ubers freezes last round and now this round, maybe next round I can have something totally drama-free.

EDIT: and for those curious it's because Isa gave me the RBY UU team on March 24, and apparently since then the smogon tiering changed... RBY changing in 2015. Who'da thunk it.

lost the tiebreaker which was RBY Ubers. it sucks that we were assigned a metagame that requires such little skill. ggs regardless, head smash miss in dpp uu sucked

Yo Oglemi, mind to extend the deadline until at least Thursday ? We can't play tomorrow given our timezones's difference and it's probably gonna be the same for the next days. I have a day off on Friday so if hantsuki can play on Thursday after her work/courses, I can wait for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)