Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Confirmed via interview:
Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

According to Pokebeach, there was an interview with Ken Sugimori from Game Freak.

Sugimori: For Aarune, he needed to have a Pokemon that could use the moves Fly and Secret Power, which are perfect moves for finding Secret Bases. And the only Hoenn Pokemon that wasn't used by a key character that fit that criteria was Flygon. It does not Mega Evolve, but I really like Flygon.

Interviewer: Key characters often carry a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, but Flygon is an exception, right?

Sugimori: Flygon has had the potential to have a Mega Evolution since XY, but we were unable to complete a design and so it was dropped from consideration.
Oh my god... I can hear all those Flygon fans crying.

I'd literally scream if that's why Jynx's name is trademarked but still no signs of Mega.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
that's really bad. It'd be cool if they allowed people to submit designs for next generation. It'd get fans involved and be really cool C:
I wonder why Pokemon never accepted any fan creations. Both Digimon and Puzzle and Dragons did it before, and they even give out awards for good designs.

This is a bit disappointing. If Smogon's CAP projects are any indication to me, plenty of fans love to design Pokemon, visually and even functionally as well.

Fan submission for something like this would be an amazing way to get fans more involved, not to mention the potential to improve Pokemon that could really use it indirectly if they get Megas they wouldn't have otherwise.

The fact that it did cross their mind does make me hope we'll see Mega Flygon for Gen 7 at least,now that people know it's on the table.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also keep in mind that "Unable to complete a design" does not equal Artist's Block. It might be the most compelling reason, but not necessarily the right one. It could be time constraints, money constraints, or other reasons. It could very well be that all Mega Evolution designs were created and play-tested prior to the release of XY, and the desicion to involve Flygon in ORAS' story wasn't made until after the creature designers and playtesters had finished their job. It could also be that Game Freak hadn't anticipated how much the demand for a Mega Flygon would be. Plenty of potential reasons could be given, but I'm not going to buy "unable to come up with something".

If I were them my problem wouldn't be with "including the designer's name", it would be with money and reputation.
Well there's precedence for outside/3rd parties designing Pokemon. Tyrantrum, Pangoro, Aegislash and more were designed by Hitoshi Ariga. Before being actively brought in for XY designs, he was a mangaka for things like Mega Man Megamix and also did some illustrations for the TCG.

Speaking of Mega Man, the series has been using (occasionally modified) designs sent in by fans for their boss designs since Mega Man 2. And if they can design a Pokemon that Gamefreak thinks is good enough to use, then what concerns would there be about credit beyond including their name in the staff roll? I'm pretty sure that even if the designs were from others, they do give Gamefreak the rights for them to use it, similar to Sonic Team's policy with music.

Okay, if there was an artist's block, why not have an international art contest, and have fan artists make their ideal design for Flygon's evolution, and have one of those chosen? I mean, the winner couldn't be any worse than what little the concept artists came up with.

If they don't have the guts to do it with the ideas that they currently have, then maybe some fan will come up with that one thing they couldn't think of.

Then again, don't think there is much they can really do to improve on Flygon's design: just make him appear stronger, and more streamlined so he appears faster and more agile, and draw on more of that dragonfly aspect. IMO, Mega Flygon should look like the what would happen if a Dragon and a Dragonfly were to have a child. I'd probably add another pair of wings, add mini-wing stabilizers to that tail, and give him another pair of hands, so he is more of an insect.

I'd imagine taking fan suggestions would be a double edged sword. Yeah, it would be great to have some more interactivity with the fans and get popular requests like this completed successfully, however with the abundance of morons already screaming that Gamefreak's running out of ideas, it would give them an even louder voice if they stopped coming up with their own ideas and getting fan ideas in. I don't imagine they see the risk as being worth it.

I'd imagine taking fan suggestions would be a double edged sword. Yeah, it would be great to have some more interactivity with the fans and get popular requests like this completed successfully, however with the abundance of morons already screaming that Gamefreak's running out of ideas, it would give them an even louder voice if they stopped coming up with their own ideas and getting fan ideas in. I don't imagine they see the risk as being worth it.
Hmm, but still, if they worked it the right way, it would be seen as almost a breakthrough and a great idea by Game Dream, and it may suket down that vocal minority. Still, no body knows what would have happened.

Perhaps I could make that a little clearer:

If anybody starts suggesting stats, abilities, typings or moves for Mega Flygon in the forum, this thread will be locked.

You're welcome to check out our IRC channel (#oi) and speculate there to your heart's content. Even we mods do that there all the time.
Could we still suggest designs for mega flygon? I have some ideas for that, but I don't want this thread to get locked.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Could we still suggest designs for mega flygon? I have some ideas for that, but I don't want this thread to get locked.
Well... not here, no. IRC would be the place for that too, we only deal with actual, official, in-game content on this forum. But if you can draw it you could always open a "shop" in Smeargle's Studio. They're open and welcoming to all aspiring artists.

Well... not here, no. IRC would be the place for that too, we only deal with actual, official, in-game content on this forum. But if you can draw it you could always open a "shop" in Smeargle's Studio. They're open and welcoming to all aspiring artists.
Ah, thanks! Anyways, on topic now, I find it interesting why they didn't have it done, as a ton of people wanted M. Fly, so you would presume they would have it be a prioritized mega. Anyone else's opinion on the matter?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, so this is probably why the messages in the Annoyance Thread about Mega Flygon were deleted. Well I'll post what I said there to here:

I can sort of understand them having a hard time making a Mega Flygon. A Mega Pokemon isn't just an evolution, its more suppose to be an advanced form of the Pokemon. So with that said exactly what is there on Flygon to "advance"? Making it longer? Giving it extra wings? That's what you see on Google Images and DeviantArt, but GameFreak probably wants there to be another theme to it besides being "Flygon +". Flygon's design is actually pretty simple all things considered so there's not much to go on. If they don't want to just make "Flygon +" they'll probably have to think outside the box. Like maybe having it look like... *reads rest of thread* nevermind. But my point still stands.

... and they didn't even bother to come up with a crappy excuse for the lack of Mega Milotic
:/
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I mean, yeah its a bit odd that Aarune is given importance yet his lone Pokemon, Flygon, doesn't Mega Evolve but at the same time he's not that important of a character (its not like he's a boss, he's just an extra battle). Wallace, on the other hand, though they probably wouldn't have his Pokemon evolve during the Gym Battle, during the Delta Episode Battle where he's using his Champion team from Emerald to test if your worthy to enter Sky Pillar would have been the perfect time to have his Milotic Mega Evolve.
Then again him not being Champion I guess why Milotic not being given a Mega Evolution. Also being they were already giving Slowbro, Swampert, and Sharpedo a Mega Evolution that's already three Water-type and I think one way they spread out the Mega Evolutions is by type. And before you point out there were also 3 Ground-types and Flying-types 5/6 Dragon-types, Flygon is a Ground AND Flying Dragon-type while Milotic is pure Water. (Geez, Hoenn sure loved its Dragon-types)

that's really bad. It'd be cool if they allowed people to submit designs for next generation. It'd get fans involved and be really cool C:
Honestly if they were to accept designs for anything I would think Mega Evolutions could be one. They're not letting us create a new Pokemon but rather just an additional form. As for copyright issues all they have to do is make it clear that by entering the contest you're giving up all rights to your creation to Nintendo and Game Freak and that Nintendo and GF can do whatever they feel like to the design if they see fit. That could work... if they had done it a decade or two ago.
Sadly I would imagine there being a LOT of people stealing someone's artwork. Now if they get multiple entries of the same image they could just disquailfy all of them (it'll be too difficult to figure out which one original drew the image). But even then someone could have stolen an image and the original person didn't submit their it as their own entry and if that design wins they would get into a bit of trouble.
Honestly the only way I can see this working is instead of having people make a design they instead have people make design suggestions and so GF can pick and choose which ideas they like.

Ah, thanks! Anyways, on topic now, I find it interesting why they didn't have it done, as a ton of people wanted M. Fly, so you would presume they would have it be a prioritized mega. Anyone else's opinion on the matter?
Well they had it planned, they just couldn't think up a design they liked so had to scrap it.

Last edited:
Great. I have to download some sort of program to be able to use this IRC thingie. Not fun. :/ I'll do it tomorrow, 'cause I'm not in the mood to download anything right now.

I wonder why Pokemon never accepted any fan creations. Both Digimon and Puzzle and Dragons did it before, and they even give out awards for good designs.
I think they never held a design contest because opening up the creative process to everyone conflicts with the theme. They want everyone to discover completely new Pokemon all at the same time, so allowing there to be designs floating around that could be a part of the Pokemon world but didn't make the cut kind of conflicts with having so many readily extant species.

Digimon has a pretty intuitive reason to have art contests. The lore happily admits that most all Digimon are based on data of real world objects, animals, occurences, myths, etc. So for them, it doesn't hurt having kids give them ideas to officiate into Digimon,

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flygon is a Ground AND Flying-type
check the Pokedex friend

Great. I have to download some sort of program to be able to use this IRC thingie. Not fun. :/ I'll do it tomorrow, 'cause I'm not in the mood to download anything right now.
apart from this post having nothing to do with the thread, you can instead use mibbid to use IRC on your browser, there's a link in the OI Tourist Tips thread (which even says IRC in the title), so click this and enjoy the marvels of internet relay chat

And just so this post isn't totally worthless...

I'm against the idea of them opening up to fan designs. I'm actually glad they didn't go ahead with the Mega Flygon concept as it shows they aren't about rushing something that isn't ready, they take great pride in getting the designs right, and that a lot of effort goes into designing each one (yes, even ones like Garbodor and Vannilux!!). I'm actually really interested to know if there were any other Megas that were scrapped for whatever reason, since I think it's safe to assume that Flygon wasn't the only one held back, it was just the only one mentioned in that interview...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)