ORAS OU The mighty Articuno ascends

Yes, I know we've all been waiting for this.
This is a RMT I've been working on for a few days now. It features the never before seen Articuno performing exceptionally well, however it requires a vast amount of support that is quite difficult to give. Even though that the support is not readily given, Articuno can gallantly sweep in the lower ladder rankings and quite readily in the higher ladder rankings as well.

I started with Articuno, obviously.

I needed Smeargle to Baton Pass Nasty Plots and Agilities to Articuno.

I added Bisharp to beat Latias and other bulky psychics.

Latios was added to dismantle common physically frail leads with Psyshock.

Articuno has a nasty Stealth Rock weakness, so Starmie is here to Rapid Spin them away.

Sub+CM Raikou can set up on Prankster Thundurus, which was a huge threat.

By this point I didn't have a Mega Evolution so I replaced LO on Latios with Latiosite.

In depth:

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power
- Roost
Articuno is the center of this team. It may not have a good typing, stats, or movepool, but it is enough to be used. It can OHKO many of the tier's relevant threats at +2 SpA and Spe. It desperately needs the support from the team such as Baton Pass Support. It can take advantage of rain from opposing Politoed and abuse 100% accurate hurricanes. The IVs give it a HP Fire Spread, which it needs to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn super effectively. Freeze-Dry is to hit water types super effectively, like the aforementioned Politoed. It needs all the coverage it can get in order to be functional. Hurricane is its strongest STAB move, allowing it to OHKO many common OU threats. When using Articuno, treat it as if you're trying to kill a bear. You want to OHKO your opponent, not 2HKO them. Sometimes, you will not need Articuno in the lower ladder rankings.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash Power Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot Geomancy
- Agility Stealth Rock
Smeargle supports Articuno by giving it essential support in the form of Baton Pass. At least 1 Nasty Plot and 1 Agility is needed, as Articuno cannot outspeed or OHKO enough to be viable. Use Spore right away to buy time for setting up. As it is now completely Taunt bait, dismantle the opposing lead before you bring Smeargle. It needs to be as fast as possible and stay alive as long as possible, so 252 HP EVs, 252 Speed EVs, and a Focus Sash are necessary. Jolly nature also helps maximize speed. Own Tempo is used because Moody is banned and Technician won't do anything here.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
I needed Bisharp to check some of the threats so far, being the Lati twins and other bulky Psychics. Bisharp really comes through sometimes, being able to OHKO a Mega Gardevoir with Sucker Punch. It's your standard Pursuit trapper set, with a few tweaks. The EVs maximize speed and so does the Jolly nature. Knock Off should be your first-turn STAB move. Life Orb is necessary to get some important OHKOs. Sucker Punch is priority that has power, and Pursuit traps the Lati twins.

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power
- Roost
While Latios hits harder with a Life Orb than Mega Latios, I chose to give it Latiosite because I didn't have a Mega Pokemon at that point. It can dismantle opposing leads fairly well and check some common threats as well. The IVs give it a HP Fire spread, which lets it get unresisted coverage with Draco Meteor. The SpA drops from Draco Meteor can be brutal, so it is advised to use it only when going for OHKOs. The EVs are standard for a special attacker. Psyshock hits Chansey hard, as well as frail fighting type leads like Infernape. Roost can be used to recover off damage, but Latios rarely finds an opening to use it.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin
Articuno has a nasty Stealth Rock weakness, and that's where Starmie comes into play. Starmie runs an offensive Rapid Spin set, with Ice Beam being replaced by Thunder. Thunder hits lots of common threats hard, and the only reason I don't use Thunderbolt is because it doesn't have enough power. Base 100 SpA can be pretty underwhelming at times, and without a Modest nature, the power is going to be quite Modest(haha). Analytic gets an insane power boost on opposing switch-ins. Hydro Pump is a quite spammable 110 base power move. Psyshock hits physically frail Pokemon very very hard. The EVs are standard for special attackers. Life Orb Maximizes damage.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
Raikou is my check to Thundurus, which was a threat to my team by this point, with none of my Pokemon able to beat it without risking paralysis. Raikou is immune to paralysis and can set up Calm Minds behind Substitute this way. Thunderbolt is my main STAB and HP Ice is coverage. The EVs are standard special attacker, and Timid nature maximizes speed. Leftovers helps it recover off substitute damage.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Baton Pass

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Latios (M) @ Latiosite
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Damnit. Fucking glitches.
https://docs.google.com/a/student15...O_ckB9Zrr-amMUF0bWUWjA7sp3X4GQ_wNbEZiLKc/view
Yes, I know it's only A rank and above. I'm too fuckin lazy to do the rest.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
Manectric-Mega was suggested by Team Pokepals. Latios-Mega is kinda weak, and Manectric-Mega can perform Raikou's role well. I haven't really tested him yet, but I'm sure he'll be a solid addition to the team. Thunderbolt and Volt Switch get STAB, Overheat is insanely powerful coverage, and HP Ice is more coverage. You can switch into predicted electric type attacks and get the Lightning Rod Boost.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Baton Pass

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

Well, now that I'm done, I'm going to try laddering with this. Give me all the feedback you can give, and be sure to.. uh.. IDK... whatever! All feedback is appreciated, though! Thanks, all!

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Latios with Life Orb actually does more damage than Mega Latios and even though you don't have a Mega Pokemon besides it, your team could benefit from having another one instead. Thunder has low accuracy so you should use Thunderbolt. Ice Beam also works really well on Starmie. Personally I run Adamant Bisharp because you want to hit as hard as possible. You could use Mega Manectric > Raikou if you take off Mega Latios, because you'll gain an intimidate user, more speed to speed tie with mega Lopunny, and fire attacks (Flamethrower/Overheat) to kill Scizor and Ferrothorn. Since you have 3 dark moves on Bisharp, you should probably run Blackglasses because that will boost your attacks without recoil. I feel like Scizor could be a threat as Bullet Punch gets rid of Articuno, Smeargle, and potentially Bisharp (Superpower) and Latios (pursuit trap/Bullet Punch/ U-Turn). Mega Manectric deals with it really well so that's another great reason to use it. Overall, its a nice team and I like how you're using Articuno. I hope this helps and I hope your team does well too

Latios with Life Orb actually does more damage than Mega Latios and even though you don't have a Mega Pokemon besides it, your team could benefit from having another one instead. Thunder has low accuracy so you should use Thunderbolt. Ice Beam also works really well on Starmie. Personally I run Adamant Bisharp because you want to hit as hard as possible. You could use Mega Manectric > Raikou if you take off Mega Latios, because you'll gain an intimidate user, more speed to speed tie with mega Lopunny, and fire attacks (Flamethrower/Overheat) to kill Scizor and Ferrothorn. Since you have 3 dark moves on Bisharp, you should probably run Blackglasses because that will boost your attacks without recoil. I feel like Scizor could be a threat as Bullet Punch gets rid of Articuno, Smeargle, and potentially Bisharp (Superpower) and Latios (pursuit trap/Bullet Punch/ U-Turn). Mega Manectric deals with it really well so that's another great reason to use it. Overall, its a nice team and I like how you're using Articuno. I hope this helps and I hope your team does well too
Thanks, I will definitely try your suggestions out!

Hope it's OK to bump/double-post once, but this team is now 8-4! I don't have a ladder ranking that high yet, but I will try to ladder as high as possible!

HI

going to test team now. before it, the thing I saw: you could try Geomancy over Nasty Plot and Agility on Smeargle. You will have to use a Power Herb as item to activate the effect in one turn. Geomancy sharply roses SpAtk, SpDef and Spe, plus it open one moveslot, which can be filled with substitute.

HI

going to test team now. before it, the thing I saw: you could try Geomancy over Nasty Plot and Agility on Smeargle. You will have to use a Power Herb as item to activate the effect in one turn. Geomancy sharply roses SpAtk, SpDef and Spe, plus it open one moveslot, which can be filled with substitute.
OK, cool, would you recommend Quiver Dance instead to save an item or no?

Yea, Quiver could be cool too, I guess, but you'll need more time to set up. I think it's worth testing both options.

I noticed you lack SR, so you can put it on Smeargle too.

I didn't played that much with the Team, but one of the things I tried was a Dual Screen Latios.

Latios @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

Why: If Screens are up, you can play with more safety. In general, your team is very frail, so I think it might help, especially for your key member smeargle. First set up walls, and if Latios is near death, use Memento and switch for Smeargle. Memento reduces Atk and SpATK in two stages, so, unless you use it against Bisharp, you guarantee a switch.

I didn't played that much with the Team, but one of the things I tried was a Dual Screen Latios.

Latios @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

Why: If Screens are up, you can play with more safety. In general, your team is very frail, so I think it might help, especially for your key member smeargle. First set up walls, and if Latios is near death, use Memento and switch for Smeargle. Memento reduces Atk and SpATK in two stages, so, unless you use it against Bisharp, you guarantee a switch.
I'll definitely try this! Thanks!

Great team man! I really love it, articuno is a great choice for ou and I love the synergy in your sets! Really impressive, all in all it shows a really deep understanding of the game. I bet you dont even know who karen is!

10 out of 10!

Great team man! I really love it, articuno is a great choice for ou and I love the synergy in your sets! Really impressive, all in all it shows a really deep understanding of the game. I bet you dont even know who karen is!

10 out of 10!
Thanks, I do know who Karen is and what she said. That being said, I think Karen was the one who inspired me to do this team.

EDIT: I don't think I'm gonna use this team until Aegi's suspect test is over. If it is unbanned, then I will adapt to Aegi's presence. If not, well, I'll just go back to testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)