Mentoring Program Preparations: LOOKING FOR A MANAGER AND TUTORS FOR TLR PROGRAM

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
For Reference:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/asb-mentoring-program-and-self-reffing.3526665/

The player interested will sign-up filling this form:

Timezone:
ASB Experience (if any):
Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB:
Why do you want to be tutored:
Any extra comments about yourself:
At first there won't be requirements to sign up. You can sign-up without having a registered team or with one. The only requirement is that the player should be somewhat new at the game (people that already had their share of battles may be redirected to other programs).

The player gets into the queue. Normal queue, like with the facilities and such. One of the tutors will get him and get started. Tutors can only pick, at most, 2 Pupils.

The program will have a duration of one month. Battles that originate from the program can go beyond that limit.

During that period, the following stuff can be done in any order and in an independant manner.

1) Battling 101

The player has the right to fight the tutor in at most 3 battles (singles or doubles), being two 2vs2 and one 3vs3. In those battles the player can use either rentals, aka, copies of pokemon owned by registered players (think SICK), or his own mons. The Tutor should respond with either rentals or pokemon of his own that match the level of the ones used by the player (so if the player is using his charmander, you answer with your pichu. If the player is using Birkal's Mewtwo, you answer with zarator's Mega Gengar. Just don't pair charmander with MegaGengar -_-).

The battle will play out normally, with the tutor playing to win, but not by much. Aka: don't fake lose to your pupil, but you don't need to humiliate them either. During the match, the tutor should give tips on moves and what-not, but only after the player orders. Comment on why a certain strategy you/they used went right/wrong and why you/they won/lost the battle.

The Pupil isn't obligated to use all 3 battles, or to use them before or after registering. They can register their team and use the 3 battles to pratice with them. Or they can use the 3 battle solely to try on stuff. Or they can test with 2 matches, register a team and then use the last one as a final test. Or any other way that seems fit.

Those battles are to be self-reffed by the tutor and have the following format:

2v2 Singles or Doubles
DQ: 48h (The DQ of the pupil is by the discretion of the Tutor. If the Pupil asks for the DQ of the Tutor, the Manager of the Program should assign someone to replace them asap).
2 Recoveries, 5 Chills per mon
One Substitution per player excluding KO Substitutions.
One Mega Evolution
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = OFF
Arena: ASB Tournament Arena
The Battles award 1CC and 2CC per rental pokemon or 2MC per owned pokemon. For both the player and the tutor. Also the tutor gets a flat 5UC per battle.

Battles from here do NOT count towards 3-slots limitation

2) Strategy 101
Pupils can pick any match from Battle Tower, provided that they have the pokemon required for them (so you can't pick a 6vs6 FE if you have only a Pikachu). When picking the battle, the pupil (or the tutor) should inform that this is a guided battle and that circunstance should be identified by the ref on the OP or the title of the Thread.

Picking a battle like that will automatically extend their DQ interval by 24h.

The battle is done normally. The twist is that the pupil can ask for guidance for the Tutor and Tutor should help out the Pupil with strategies or counterattacks etc. The only thing forbidden is ghosting: the tutor cannot say "do X-X-X". They can, however, suggest a move or say not to use a certain move or suggest one kind of substitution. Just don't post the orders the pupil should use or something like that. It should be done in a way the pupil learns the stuff.

Tutor can't be ref or the opponent.

At the end of the battle, every battler/ref gets normal prizes and the tutor gets 1/3 of the UC the ref got.

Guided Matches DO count for the 3-slots limitation. The Pupil can ask for any number of matches to be guided during the mentoring period.

3) Registering 101
Pupils can ask help to Tutors regarding registration. We will eventually have a list of pokemon skeletons to make the registering process easier.

Tutors will help with sources of moves and good moves to have in which case. The Tutor can give opinions on effectivity of specific mons, but only when asked. So the pupil can ask if the tutor prefers Butterfree or Beedrill in competitive and the tutor can answer. But the tutor can't start the session by saying "yo Dnite is the best ASB mon, you should get it". If the pupil is set on having one specific mon, the tutor must explain the ways that particular mon can be used and not try to demove the pupil from going with said mon. Unless the pupil specifically asks for that.

Again: the tutor mustn't do the profiles for the pupil or choose the mons for him.

An approved profile means that the tutor gets 3UC.

4) FAQ
During that month, the pupil and tutor should stay in touch with each other. The tutor has the duty to answer all ASB-Related questions the pupil have, provided they are in good taste (so if the pupil is trolling with you, don't bother <_<).

For that it is advised that they use IRC from the get-go, as a mean to communicate better and also show that tool to the newcomer. But it is also recommended that Pupil and Tutor have a permanent "Tutoring" Conversation on the forum to discuss those matters.

Tutor is paid a 5UC baseline to account for "4".

- - - -

After the month finishes, the tutoring will remain only for pointers "1" and "2" on the battles started during that month. UC for "1" and "2" can be claimed at the end of each battle. For "3" after the profile is approved and for "4" at the end of the month.

The pupil doesn't need to do all those things, but he can. They define the extent of the tutoring.

At the end of the program, the pupil can sign up again. But he may be redirected to other programs if the managership or the previous tutor thinks he knows the bare essentials of ASB.
The Reffing Program will be a revival of Flora's Referee Tutoring Program, with a few twists though.

There will be two courses in the Reffing Program: Reffing 101 and Reffing 202. The first one teaches you the basics of reffing and the second one goes further into more complex subjects and allows you to get whitelisted for Self-Reffing if your performance is good enough.

For both programs the player fills in the following form:

Course
Timezone:
Reffing Experience (if any):
Why do you want to be tutored:
And gets into the queue. Normal queue, like with the facilities and such. One of the tutors will get you and get started with the respective course as seen below.

(this is a copy. Credit goes to Flora)

A Tutor Ref will take on an Apprentice Ref (or slightly more if you can handle it) and watch over as he or she refs a battle at the Battle Tower. The Apprentice Ref will pick a battle within his limitations, inform his tutor by PM and start reffing. They will PM the Tutor Ref his or her update of the match before each round begins. The Tutor Ref will look over for errors or mistakes (and flavor if the apprentice asks for that) and send a PM right back at the Apprentice Ref, who will correct them if necessary and then post the update. This will repeat until the match is over.

The round will be looked at and audited for calculations, effects, etc. and PMed back to the Apprentice Ref. The Tutor Ref will also be looking at things like consistency in effects over rounds, any creative elements that could be added/subtracted, and generally anything else that might be important.

If the Apprentice Ref fails to complete the match for whatever reason, it is the duty of the Tutor Ref to finish it up.

Each Tutoring cycle is composed of two battles. After the second battle, the tutor will evaluate the apprentice to see he if got a grip at how reffing works in general (no need for it to be a OMFG GREAT understanding. Just a basic understanding of the bare essentials (read: damage formula) should suffice). If yes, then the apprentice is classified as a Registered Ref. If the first battle went out really well, the tutor may just approve of the apprentice without the need of the second battle (although if the apprentice wants to, he will get the second battle of tutoring).

Tutor gets UC equal to 3 + UC got by the Apprentice. Apprentice is payed normally. DQ=0 counters.

Matches picked by the apprentice will have their DQ extended by 24h. Apprentice has to PM the tutor the reffing at most at 2/3 the DQ and the remaining 1/3 will be for the tutor to either check the reffing and do it himself. Apprentices that fail to follow DQ won't be approved. Tutors that fail to follow DQ may have their positions revoked.

If the Tutor is DQ'd, the Manager of the program will assign a new asap.

Apprentice faces Tutor on a 5vs5 FE doubles match (well...at least the tutor will use FE mons, preferably strong ones. If the apprentice doesn't have 5 FE mons, he will need to use the best one at his disposal) on ASB Arena with 3 subs, items=yes and standard rules all around. Apprentice will need to order AND ref the match. Tutor sends out pokemon to apprentice, who will then set up the match with his own team as well as order first (send out last). Apprentice and Tutor post orders, apprentice refs and posts on the thread, Tutor lists the errors and suggestions on a hide tag and continue the battle, with the apprentice reffing every round. The tutor would evaluate the apprentice on format, how the information is presented, damage calculations, the errors commited and...well....everything ref-related. If after the battle the tutor finds the reffing acceptable, the apprentice gives whitelisted for self-reffing and may become a tutor too. Apprentice gets counters for reffing and for battling, excluding KOCs and Tutor gets counters (except for KOCs) from the battle and a baseline of 5UC for the checking and all.

The Tutor will be advised to use all the tricks at his disposals, up to and including complex substitutions, strange combos, weird attack interactions and even flavor-based maneuvers. Their goal isn't to win, but to see the extent of the apprentice's capacites at reffing.

Apprentices that don't follow DQ either in battling or in reffing (LoA rules apply) will be reproved, simple as that. They will get a sole warning total. Also, apprentices that treat the match as an opportunity to burn the bellsprout (read: that send out horrible pokemon so the battle is faster or just play suicidal spamming explosion and what-not) and that forfeit at the middle of it will also be reproved. The apprentice will need to show that he can complete that kind of match to the end on normal circunstances.

Whitelisted refs that self-ref really poorly or play really suicidal too much may have their licenses revoked.

Matches from this course will not count towards the 3-slots limitation

If the Tutor is DQ'd, the Apprentice asks for a replacement on the main thread.

There is a one-month cooldown after you finish a course, regardless the result. You are supposed to practice during that cooldown. Also, the management may extend that cooldown further and condition it as they see fit or even, in extreme cases, denying tutoring until further notice, so the same (insecure or...uh...uncapable guy) doesn't keep flooding the queue.

Refs will be classifies in three tiers:
a) Apprentice Refs: Refs that haven't passed the Reffing 101 course or aren't minimally experient on reffing. They can only ref battle tower matches (no gym, no rp, no hlm etc) equal to or shorter than 3vs3 singles and 4vs4 doubles (no triples, no brawls).
b) Registered Refs: Refs that have passed the Reffing 101 course and have some experience on reffing. They can apply to ref any battle (of course, the owner of the RP will need to allow it as well).
c) White-listed Refs (name pending): Refs that have passed Reffing 202 course and/or have a good deal of experience in the field, having proved able to ref adequately and on time battles. They can apply to ref any battle, as well as ref their own battles or become tutors on the reffing program. Depending on the demand, White-listed Refs may be called to act as tutors (even if ad hoc) if the demand is big enough (constant and baseless refusal may lead to their licenses being revoked <_<).

This thread will handle three things:
1) Signups for Tutoring the Starting ASB Program
2) Signups for Tutoring the Reffing Program
3) Applications to be classified as White-Listed refs for Self-Reffing

For all three the requirements are:
a) Adequate knowledge of how ASB works (the degree of said knownledge will depend on what you are signing up for)
b) Capacity to post on time.

Or at least those are the main points that will be considered. The first one is the most important by far, but if you are a complete and total john, you may not be accepted for now even if your credentials are splendid.

Also, to be a Reffing Tutor, you must be white-listed for self-reffing. But to be a tutor for the Starting ASB Program that isn't necessary. In fact, tutoring the Starting ASB program may be opportunity necessary to prove yourself worthy of being white-listed.

Users that have proven to know how to ref (aka pretty much most if not all people around) will be classified as Registered Refs eventually.

So, if you want to be either a Starting ASB Tutor, or a Reffing Tutor or even just crank down those Self-Reffings, sign up by filling this form:

Signing up for:
Reffing Experience:
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted:
Tutors for the Starting ASB Program will be chosen by the respective manager (who shall be appointed and announced in the next couple of days). White-Listed Refs will be picked by me and akela and akela will pick the tutors out of those white-listed refs. Right now we should have a somewhat small team of tutors, but we may get more if needed.

Signing up for: All three?
Reffing Experience: Pretty extensive, considering how long I've been here. I've reffed several tournament and gym battles, and all sorts of other matches.
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I'd like to think that I'm one of the more helpful people in ASB wrt helping newbies (if they come on irc). Also, I'm one of the more consistent refs around.
Any extra comments about yourself: Not really.

Signing up for: Starting ASB Mentor and White Listing (willing to Tutor the Reffing Program as well if needed and/or take any class deemed necessary)
Reffing Experience: All of my reffed battles are in my ref profile. I've reffed 7v7 triples with gym rules and tournament battles in addition to more basic matches.
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I like to think I'm a good ref, I know the rules decently well, and I have alot of time and am willing to help people.
Any extra comments about yourself: I'm generally quite prompt with my reffing/orders and have never had a problem with missing (or even coming close to) DQ.

Last edited:
Signing up for: All 3 I guess
Reffing Experience: Reffing for about 6 months, as well as Hall and Tourney Matches
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I help out newbies alot and help out alot of people with their questions
Any extra comments about yourself: Not much

Frosty

=_=
Signing up for: Starting ASB Program.
Reffing Experience: I've reffed everything under the sun, either than raids. TLRs, Gym Matches, Tourney Matches, HLMs, Roleplays etc. More than I can count.
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I confess that I don't help newbies much. Only when I am asked. But that is a mistake of mine and I am willing to change that. I usually help out players with strategies and such, so I feel I can do the same with newbies. Our adaptation process is kinda rough and hard to get-through for some, and I intend to do my best to change that. Also [brag] I am running the Mentorship Program as a whole so I think that makes me qualified?[/brag]
Any extra comments about yourself: I am aware that my timeliness on many matches leaves much to be desired. But I am on the process of shifting focus and limiting my reffing activity to just TLRs and possibly this (and perhaps raids?). That is why I have 0 interest in being white-listed. Once I am done with all the other matches, I should be able to get things moving on a better pace, hopefully.

Signing up for: All 3
Reffing Experience: I've reffed quite a lot in my time here, and while unfortunately my timeliness is nowhere near what it used to be, I can still ref somewhat reliably and I've reffed everything from tournament mates to flashes, the latter quite often.
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I'm quite good at reffing in the cases I apply myself fully, and I enjoy helping people a substantial amount.
Any extra comments about yourself: As I mentioned above, I sometime struggle to keep myself on time, although I hope that doesn't subtract from the things I can do by too much.

Signing up for: Starting ASB Program
Reffing Experience: I have a shitton of experience reffing and I usually ref reliably. I've reffed Tournaments and have been a registered Arcade and Pike ref in the past (though I stopped due to life).
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I don't really have a good record with helping people in ASB (and in fact at first I opposed the idea of tutoring), but I sure as hell have a lot of experience fucking up, and I feel like sharing my experiences will help newbies, well, not start off 0-11. Also IRL I'm actually really helpful if you ask me for help, and I feel like I can do that here.
Any extra comments about yourself: I'm always super busy nowadays so don't give me too many tutees. I also don't ref that much nowadays so there's really no point in getting whitelisted.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Signing up for: White Listing, Starting ASB
Reffing Experience: I don't ref much now, but I'm the RP leader, and I'm certainly competent.
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I'm the resident question-answerer, and I have a decent record of helping newbies and running profile approvals.
Any extra comments about yourself: Pass.

Signing up for: All Positons
Reffing Experience: Tons of battle tower reffings, one of the fastest flash refs around while still being at least mostly accurate if not completely, can ref arcades, used to run arcade, used to ref halls, used to ref TLS (not sure if i can still.....), limited tournament reffing
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: I have been around forever, and even though i have taken a couple breaks for a while, I am still very active and knowledgeable. I am also very helpful on IRC and love helping new players learn. I also am an approver, if that helps lend credibility to my understanding of the game mechanics at all. Timeliness is also almost a nonfactor for me.
Any extra comments about yourself: I love bacon, and probably won't share with you if you ask.

Signing up for: White Listing, Starting ASB Program if you don't get enough people without counting me.
Reffing Experience: Well, I'm a hall ref (but haven't reffed much of those because recent internet access problems), Pike ref (and I have reffed more of these than halls, being active when the time pike had challenges), Arcade ref (but I have only reffed one or two of these... yeah) and have reffed several standard battles. I have tried to ref more complex tower battles, but most of the time they end up being cancelled or something :/
Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: Well, I am completely willing to fix mistakes if any is found, and I have good knowledge of the game. If being Steel Gym Leader helps in anything... well, may as well mention it xD
I like helping people, specially newbies, and try to do so each time I get the chance.
Most people know that I haven't been very active these days, which is the major reason you may want to consider someone else unless can't fill all the spots without me. While the main problem has been my lack of access to the website, mostly because of internet issues (which will hopefully be fixed next week, yay!), school started today and that may affect my activity. If I were to be part of the program, I would do my best to post of time (I can't promise because I could end up lying, but you can bet it would not happen much if it were to happen), giving the program priority over everything else.
Any extra comments about yourself: Well, I really love this game, and I think it would be much more fun if more people joined. ASB became one of my favorite ways to enjoy my free time since I joined it, be it in the forums or IRC, so if more people were to find this place and I can help them get adapted and love this place as much as I do, then I would love to do so.
Also, wow, wall of text anyone?

Frosty

=_=
So we considered all options and after I forgot completely about this some weeks of intense pondering, we choose Birkal to lead the Starting ASB Program.

Also I want at least one more application before pushing the start button.

Also also I need to make this clear: absolutely no application will be assumed. Mods, Councilmembers, akela (only for the starting asb program if wanted, the other and the white-list status comes with managership), birkal (only for white-listing and tutoring reffing, the starting asb tutor position comes with the managership) and pretty much everyone needs to apply or take the course later. Probably at least.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Let's get this on the road yadda blah etc.

Signing up for: Reffing Program and Reffing Program only

Reffing Experience: Among the other 10 applicants here, I'm younger than half of them and older than the other half (by a margin both ways). Reffing resume includes Bronze Pike, Hall, a round or two of Ultimate Showdown, SICK, LLAMA, ASBuds, Brawls, Tower.

Why do you feel you deserve being accepted: Based on my track record in Policy and on IRC, I hoped I've already given the image as someone who is at least level-headed enough to not fly into rage every 10 hours, and helpful enough to engage new people in coherent conversation going both ways. I still ask for confirmation and public opinion on weirder stuffs, but am capable to stand my own ground.

Any extra comments about yourself: Not super-competitive.

Frosty

=_=
We discussed a bit and then I was overwhelmed with stuff. Result is:

List for Starting ASB Program:
Avnomke
TSRD (On Probation)
Rainman Legends
Frosty
AOPSUser
Dogfish44
Ragnarokalex
tavok
Birkal

List for White-Listing:
Avnomke
TSRD (On Probation)
Rainman Legends
Dogfish44
Ragnarokalex
tavok
ZhengTann (he needs to be white-listed to be a ref tutor)
Birkal
akela

List of Reffing Tutoring:
Avnomke
TSRD (if necessary On Probation)
Rainman Legends
Dogfish44 (if necessary)
Ragnarokalex
tavok (if necessary)
ZhengTann
Birkal (if necessary)
akela

TSRD: We will check your tutoring stuff closely for the next months or so. After 3-4 you will stay or go depending on how well things go. Reasoning is "he is really really new to the point of this being a bit risky, but he has done things right for now, so why not?"

Gold: We think that you need to stick more to DQ and what-not. taking battles then leaving or forgetting about them for a while doesn't make a good impression. Work on it and we may reconsider stuff.

Also, mentoring thread was posted with Gym Program too. PM me if you want to mentor it. Also, PM me if you want to grammar-proof the thread as I can almost guarantee it is filled with grammar mistakes.

Frosty

=_=
le bump.

I am considering opening the following programs:

http://pastebin.com/BhrZwkh8 (singles and doubles battling 202)

http://pastebin.com/nkE6SDmn (teambuilding 202)

I still need to iron some stuff out so it should be released later this week. If everything goes as planned (hint: it won't).

Wondering if anyone wanna run or tutor on them. High standards. Slightly less high for teambuilding. But really really high nonetheless.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Repeating from IRC for the sake of memory

I'm willing to help with/run Singles? I can also help with Doubles.

... not teambuilding. See: Makuhita in Gym Battles.

Frosty

=_=
anyone else ._.?

I like the remaining sanity I still have. I won't open anything unless I get a couple more tutors -_-.

Also, dogfish44, you can run it. Leet you can tutor, but run requires reliable activity so, sorry <_<;.

Frosty

=_=
K, so, due to the overwhelming number of replies, I will do the following: I will open now only one of the three: Teambuilding, Singles 202 or Doubles 202. Depending on how things go (read: if I get more tutors and managers), I might open the others later.

Which one do you guys prefer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)