Project The PU Theorymon Project [Week eighteen: Meganium]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The winner is Eevee General!

Our new subject is Physical Zebstrika! You have 5 days to post
523.gif

edit: Mixed is fine, the point is to try to make physical not suck so hard​

Kung Fu Zebra

Athletic Savage Leg of the Zebra @ Life Orb
Type: Electric / Fighting
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Jump Kick
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

The addition of fighting would allow Zebstrika to check Pawniard and darkspam in general pretty well, while Jump Kick gives Zebstrika a STAB that breaks through Piloswine and Regice easily. Zebra still uses overheat so that it can do good damage to Tangela, while Volt Switch provides nice momentum blahblahblah. Jump Kick>High Jump Kick because HJK would make Zebra way too powerful for PU to handle.
252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 283-338 (70 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 354-421 (117.6 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 105-125 (31.5 - 37.5%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 276-325 (82.8 - 97.5%) -- Ouch

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Never done theorymoning before, but here is mine:

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Double-Edge
- Agility

So with Tough Claws and and Agility, Zebstrika becomes a deadly late game sweeper in the right hands. With all 3 of Zebstrika's attacks getting a Tough boost backed by Life Orb, it provides a deadly physical sweeper, while getting past Piloswine if you time the switch.

252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Zebstrika Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 166-198 (41 - 49%) -- 74.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Zebstrika Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 260-307 (69.5 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Zebstrika Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 242-286 (61.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I would've added part Fire type to Zebstrika, but that would be three buffs.

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

When I think of Zebstrika, I think of zebras. When I think of zebras, I think of evil zebra unicorn things. With that being said...
Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: All previous abilities / volt absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Horn Leech
- Me First
- Megahorn
It gets horn moves now. Theoretical calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 156-187 (44.3 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Beheeyem: 356-421 (100.8 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 273-322 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Author's note: I thought about giving it an extra typing in dark, but I didn't know what dark type moves to give it so...still pure electric type.
Edit: Also an additional typing would be overkill with these changes.

[18:43] gasquakee: can i do
[18:43] gasquakee: mixed
[18:44] Megazard Z: yes

changes(+Fire Type, +Leaf Blade)
fire.png
electric.png

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat(stab)
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Blade

Logic: OHKOs every form of hazard removal barring Togetic now(Armaldo living before), Good chance to kill Roselia in one hit with Overheat after rocks preventing chip damage and spikes, Decent chance to kill Piloswine with Leaf Blade + STAB Overheat + Stealth Rocks making it a risky switch at best, Zero chance for Jumpluff to live w/o rocks, OHKOs Marowak, Gogoat wont live Overheats after Rocks, More reliable Servine check.

sniped to all hell.

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[18:43] gasquakee: can i do
[18:43] gasquakee: mixed
[18:44] Megazard Z: yes

changes(+Fire Type)
View attachment 40804 View attachment 40806
Zebstrika @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Logic: Takes on Piloswine better heavily pressuring it with STAB Overheat, Fears u-turn jumpluff even less, Kills grass types even more than before.

Notable calcs: OHKOs every form of hazard removal barring Togetic now(Armaldo living before), Good chance to kill Roselia in one hit with Overheat after rocks preventing chip damage and spikes, Decent chance to kill Piloswine with HP Grass + STAB Overheat + Stealth Rocks making it a risky switch at best, Zero chance for Jumpluff to live w/o rocks, OHKOs Marowak, Gogoat wont live Overheats after Rocks, More reliable Servine check.
I thought that mixed meant both physical and special attacking moves.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Type: Electric / Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Volt Switch

Dark/Electric is an amazing stab typing, and the added type gives it the ability to be a decent fast Pursuit trapper, which the tier has been lacking since the Sneasel meta. The added coverage lets it beat normal checks like Grumpig and defensive Misdreavus. This is pretty straightforward otherwise, not much else to say about it.

Zebstrika @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Wild Charge
- Double-Edge / Flame Charge

Basically added the Dragon-typing, Dragon Dance, and a strong new STAB in Outrage to it. With these changes, Zebstrika would finally be able to beat all of the Dragon-types that have walled it and it will have a reliable setup move. Also, who doesn't like the sound of a Dragon Zebra?

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Zebstrika is already ranked A+ in PU but not for its physical set, which sits at C- in the sets viability ranking. Even with a subpar base 80 Special Attack, it usually hits off the special side thanks to higher BP moves and good coverage, making its LO all-out attacking set its most viable. I'm going to try and change that and also separate it from the next closest physical Electric-type, Luxray.

+Hustle (-Sap Sipper), +Extreme Speed

Justification: Zebstrika is fast, so fast it often doesn't have time to aim, thus the addition of Hustle. The dex says "They have lightning-like movements. When Zebstrika run at full speed, the sound of thunder reverberates," which to me screams Extreme Speed. This guy is obviously in a hurry, accuracy be damned, and with the boost from Hustle, physical sets are starting to look a lot more appetizing right about now.

Theorymon: The addition of Extreme Speed with Hustle boils down to a non-STAB, Choice Band +2 priority Normal attack with 80% accuracy. Nothing spectacular, but it means Zebstrika can hit faster, frailer threats for some pretty good damage--252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 201-238 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO--or get ahead of other priority attacks like Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Ice Shard and Aqua Jet to KO a weakened target first.

The crux of this theorymon, however, is the raw power given by Hustle to its physical attacks like Wild Charge, Frustration, Flame Charge, and Pursuit.
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 250-294 (58.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
compared to:
252+ Atk Guts Luxray Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 238-282 (56.1 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Obviously Superpower hits Licki harder. The calc is just to show raw power versus its competition.)

While some of these don't look that impressive, with some prior damage and/or hazards it can 2HKO them.
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 147-173 (34.8 - 40.9%) -- 62.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Frustration vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Tangela: 107-126 (32 - 37.7%) -- 92.9% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Frustration vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 146-172 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 175-207 (54 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 173-204 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 140-165 (35.6 - 41.9%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Running Volt Switch with Hustle is still not out of the question to keep up momentum and since special attacks aren't affected by the ability, you don't have to risk missing and screwing up your getaway.

Conclusion: Forgoing the coverage and accuracy of special attacks for physical attacks is probably worth the large damage output that Hustle brings. Sap Sipper, the ability replaced by Hustle, also gave a +1 Attack boost, but it relied on eating a Grass attack first. Now Zebstrika can hit hard off the bat and even gains a new +2 priority attack to pick off weakened, faster targets or targets with priority.

Guts Luxray has a few coverage options Zebstrika would appreciate, but its still weaker, even with a +Atk nature vs. +Spe for Zebstrika. Zeb can even run a band over the flexibility that a Life Orb grants to unleash power unlike anything in PU, though the lure of Volt Switch is still pretty strong to keep up pivotal momentum.

Possible set:
#Hustler (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Mild / Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Frustration
- Extreme Speed / Flame Charge
- Volt Switch

hi just making comments here
-I think that the +tough claws +flare blitz addition is a pretty significant change that might just as well make zeb potentially too much (tough claws just seems way too good altho recoil will hurt + pilo is still annoying)
-Hustle seems quite interesting but zeb is often used as a revenge killer and having unreliability while doing so isn't the best thing ever
-Magnemite is a certified Nerd™ but knock off seems gud since u lure in pilo and i guess rose (which is still demolished by overheat but spdef rose does decently) and also having utility is nice :D
-dragon zebra also seems weird i guess but the typing is fucking amazing and you still counter pluff
-gasquack's also seems interesting, no real opinion on this 1
-lucas hobbs's also seems gud b/c it doesn't make too much of a change altho flying neutrality means rip pluff counter ;_;

Zebstrika @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Wild Charge
- Double-Edge / Flame Charge

Basically added the Dragon-typing, Dragon Dance, and a strong new STAB in Outrage to it. With these changes, Zebstrika would finally be able to beat all of the Dragon-types that have walled it and it will have a reliable setup move. Also, who doesn't like the sound of a Dragon Zebra?
This would make Zebs too much for the metagame... Heck I could even use that on OU because its STAB combination and having enough attack and speed to beat A LOT of pokes with just one DD...
Also, with Sap Sipper giving it another boost with ease, getting to +2/+1 and sweep it's going to be a piece of cake...

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Jolly/Adamant / Naive/Naugthy Nature
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Double Kick / Overheat
- Swords Dance

I think that just adding a boosting move on Zebstrika's arsenal, then its physical movepool can be usable even if it's mediocre... With a Sap Sipper Boost and then a Swords Dance Boost on the Switch, it will deal serious damage to a huge portion of the tier...

+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 415-489 (97.8 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 239-282 (88.1 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Roselia: 299-352 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 290-343 (89.5 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 287-339 (72.8 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 316-372 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 231-274 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Double Kick can be used to hit Golem and Probopass pretty hard, and it also hits Piloswine harder:
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Double Kick (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golem: 286-338 (95 - 112.2%) -- approx. 75% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Double Kick (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Piloswine: 202-240 (50 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Double Kick (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 416-500 (128.3 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And of course if you want to hit some other pokés like Tangela and Gourgeist, then you can also use Overheat...

Of course, this Change doesn't make Zebstrika broken at all since it will always have some trouble against one or another group of pokés... Without Double Kick, any defensive Ground type will be troubling, and without Overheat, Gourgeist and non mono attack Tangela, will give this set huge troubles...

Also, in a pinch even physically defensive Solrock can take a +2 Wild Charge and Burn Zebstrika to stop it...

What do you think of this "minor" but IMO relevant change?

See ya Guys!

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Dr

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Pursuit
- Quick Attack

The Addition of just the Normal Typing to Zebstrika gives it an instant boost that can make it more rounded out and make a Physical set viable. It is a tiny boost that will do so much in terms of Zebra's strength and give it a reasonable and effective dual stab. This is basically a physical Heliolisk with not a water immunity but a grass immunity. While other Normal Type pokemon like Tauros had Sheer Force, Zebstrika doesn't have an Overwhelming ability that will make it that overpowered in the metagame.

Baton Pass, Feint, Mega Kick, Rock Climb, Retaliate

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All these sets seem so interesting... But dragon type and Espeed zebra seems 3 OP 5 da Metagame.

So, I give you a theorymon!

Zebstrika @ life orb
Type: Electric/Grass
EVs: 252 atk/ 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Wild Charge
- Horn Leech
-
Overheat
- Volt Switch/Double Kick
Justification: So, whilst useful abilities are good and all, A grass type zebra's just too obvious, First of all it has Sap sipper, meaning it eats grass all the time, and has a lot of plant cells within it's body, and at some point it will eat so much it becomes a part of itself... at least that's how I think of it scientifically and second of all, I say most meadow Pokemon seem more grass type than anything, This doesn't seem too imbalanced, because 1 it's terribly weak to fire types, with half it's movepool being resisted by it. 2. Electric/Fire seems too stretched out to actually be justifiable. Shell smash murderers are always nice for the Meta.
If your wondering about Horn leech, see those lightning bolt shaped things attached to it's head? Those are horns.

I decided to make it mixed because 1. Physical zebra just might get technician, because low power moves and 2. Due to those same low power moves, it's physical movepool would need an amazing revamp. Which again, is more than +2 updates.

Last edited:

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Type: Electric/Ground
Hasty Nature
- Flame Charge
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

With this new type combination, Zebstrika can now hit Rock and Steel-types super effectively combined with STAB! Although Zebstrika now shares the same type combination with Stunfisk, Stunfisk is very slow and isn't much of an attacker, and it doesn't have Sap Sipper like Zebstrika does! Now you only have you worry about Ice-types, which you can Flame Charge to gain speed!

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Magnemite I feel for that set that Zebstrika should get Crunch>Knock Off seeing as such it can't logically knock something off without struggling intensely. Crunch seems more realistic, but the premise is pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)