Arceus-Ground [GP: 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah sorry i overlooked that for my QC check, nice catch. no max HP please, you actually become easier to check that way (more burn-prone) since you're less threatening to opposing Arceus etc

How about 72 HP and 184 Def EVS to avoid 2HKO from defensive PDon's Precipice Blades?

0 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 72 HP / 184 Def Arceus-Ground: 159-187 (39.8 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Sweep, state the analysis in is: I just wrote a part. Actually thanks a lot for reminding when I had time+a bit of motivation!

I know I asked this earlier, but that was /a few/ months ago, but should we really keep the laaame special sets as two different sets? They just make me, as you would say it, (puke) and while not very good, do deserve a mention of course. But two different sets merged and explained might be better as it doesn't make it feel like the sets are better because they are mentioned more. The set would just be 'special', with options for the defog set and options for the cm set.

Or maybe I should just remove the calm mind set; it sucks. I would never use it, and don't know a lot of people who would. When something reaches "this is not good enough to warrant use", you can basically say it's not viable. Opinions? I'll write the rest after! Oh and if I missed something etc etc please mention though I'll probably seem them when I look over it again. I changed/added the details mentioned in the ~5 posts above.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wrt merging Defog and CM: I don't think it should. Yeah, the support set is lame af, but it does perform a different job to CM. Defog has very little offensive presence, while CM still has some.

Wrt Calm Mind: Yeah, it was quite overhyped at the time this analysis was written IMO, but the more I've played with it, I've come to see that it has some use. Personally, I hate using Defog on Arceus (it feels like a massive waste). Thing is with special Groundceus is that role compresses a Donner and Mega Mence check into one if you run a bit more bulk on it (use like 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe Bold), and that in itself is very useful. As for Defog vs Calm Mind, I personally don't like Defog purely because I hate running Defog Arceuses. Being Ho-oh + CM Lati bait is unfortunate, but then again, not many things can be decent, durable checks to both Donner and Mega Mence.

Last edited:
breaking promises are we...

i wanna see this done asap or things will start poppin
/me flex

btw its Ground Arceus in writeup form not Arceus-Ground (gp's words not mine)
I vmd wreckdra already, sorry. Wednesday it's written. I know it's hard making something sound believable after not doing it but
/me scared of flex
it shall be finished!

Oh I forgot to move it to write-up finished, lmk if you want more stuff mentioned for the sd set especially because I couldn't think of a big paragraph to put there

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
There is a new analysis format this needs to be updated too: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-new-analysis-formatting-guide.3537802/ ;it shouldn't be too bad to convert.

You also need Checks & Counters in proper format:
SDS Example Smeargle said:
Checks and Counters
=================
**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce hard counter hazard-laying Smeargle. Due to its complete lack of offensive capability, Smeargle is unable to do anything to Magic Bounce users. However, note that they may be unable to stop a Baton Pass user in a heads-up match since Shell Smash will make Smeargle faster than other

**Hazard Removal**: Since Smeargle is typically KOed early in the match, Rapid Spin and Defog can eliminate entry hazards place by Smeargle at a later time and completely undermine it's efforts. (Defog is guaranteed to remove hazards)

**Taunt**: Faster Pokemon with access to Taunt are the best answers to Smeargle. They're capable of preventing Smeargle from doing anything of note (though they should be wary of Magic Coat), and can often force Smeargle to switch out or Struggle.

**Grass-types**: Grass-type Pokemon hold the distinction of being immuneto Spore, and as such, cannot be set up on. This makes them capable of limiting Smeargle's hazard laying, preventing it from inflicting Sleep, and forcing it to use its Focus Sash early in the match. However, as always, Smeargle can still Baton Pass at least one boost, so more defensive Grass-types may not be effective.
I REALLY don't like the special set and am going to ask that it be removed to OO. The problem with it is that it literally invites in Ho-Oh and you can't use your Arceus forme to soft or hard check the bird like most balance teams want (this thing forces your team to be balanced since its typing and abilities do little for stall other than own Mega Diancie). The only other Ho-Oh check there is that doesn't entirely overlap with Groundceus is Tyranitar who can make more use out of Excadrill as a hazard remover > Groundceus and also leave the Arceus slot open to benefit the team a lot more than Groundceus can. There is only one case I can find that this thing only sorta works on and that is Diancie Ho-Oh teams and there it just makes the team weaker to Primal Kyogre and puts a stupid amount of pressure on Diancie, pressure that breaks it very easily. Ho-Oh may be almost the only thing stopping this from working the way it should, but its such a big threat to balance that such a team cannot have this on it.

Other than that beef cake, just remove any mention of it anywhere else outside of OO and remove Will-O-Wisp mentions from the overview (these seemed a little out of place to me). Although it is implied in the SD set's team options, coming clean and straight up saying it works best (if not only) on very offensive teams is probably better just because that is the only reason why this Arceus is as usable as it is (much more usable than most).

so get to it :)

About the SD set, I'd mention Refresh in the 4th slot (SD / EQ / Stone Edge /Refresh), it helps against Arceus Rock and status in general and works in more offensive teams that don't super need Arceus to have Recover. IIrc steelphoenix used it in SPL semifinals in his game against oli. Oli himself used smth like SD / EQ / Stone Edge / Dragon Claw that might work as well (it helps you to beat Giratina for example, or weakened Salamences without relying on Stone Edge's accuracy) so you could mention Dragon Claw in OO as well.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we add Shadow Force to moves next to the Dragon Claw mention pls? You hit Giratina-O and Latis even harder than Dragon Claw (while Stone Edge hits Ray and Mega Mence). You literally hit everything Dragon Claw hits harder with Shadow Force with the exception of like Flygon. You also hit the more niche mons like Bronzong and Cresselia with Shadow Force too (and even Lugia!), + Solrock/Lunatone

Alrighty lets see here...

First up i mentioned this to you earlier but i dont see it changed - the gp team will change "Arceus-Ground" to "Ground Arceus" it probably flows better or w/e the reasoning was, and it keeps it consistent with the other arceus analyses, so change all mentions of arceus-ground to ground arceus before you send this to gp. "eon twins" is a description i tried to use in one of my analyses but that doesnt seem to fly with gp, change all mentions of that to "latias and latios". theres a bunch of other grammar stuff that can be changed to lessen the gp workload - try to look over the analysis and correct stuff as you see it (i found it much easier to notice spelling/grammar mistakes after being away from an analysis for a while)

Using Arceus-Ground does come with a bit of opportunity cost, as you cannot run another Arceus forme, such as Extreme Killer Arceus, or forms with Calm Mind+Refresh.
im not 100% sure if saying groundceus has "opportunity cost" is it is one of the best formes besides normal and ghost. i'd probably remove this line.

The writing for the SD set looks fine, but in usage tips i feel there should be a warning to watch out for lava plume groudon in usage tips - sd groundceus is nearly completely useless when burned and the only ways i see offense helping a burned groundceus is healing wish from skymin or latias.

Team Options is very bare and makes it seem like groundceus needs no help at all to get stuff done... which is wrong. Groundceus can't break grassceus or waterceus on its own and needs teammates to support it, physically defensive kyogre can also 1v1 groundceus which makes mons like latias or primal groudon (if you wanna do double ground types) very effective partners. Add in the mons that beat groundceus's checks as teammates in this section as describe how. I see you had the right idea in the skeleton but didnt put half the stuff in the analysis, make sure you didn't skip anything.
You also have two "Team Options" sections and it seems like it belonged to the old defog set... make sure thats removed.

There's no Shadow Force option in OO like shrang asked for...add that. Add ice beam to here as well as extreme speed (can beat darkrai and shaymin-s with prior damage)

Checks and Counters is bare af and doesn't accurately describe what beats Groundceus. I'd probably list the c&c like this:

Skarmory + Bronzong
Grass types (Grassceus + Shaymin-S)
Giratina-O + A
Water types (Waterceus + phys def Kyogre)
Lugia (if multiscale is up)
Latias/Latios
Revenge Killers (Mewtwo, Darkrai, Deoxys, etc)
(might have missed something but you get the general idea)

Once i see this is all added i'll approve.

Alrighty lets see here...

First up i mentioned this to you earlier but i dont see it changed - the gp team will change "Arceus-Ground" to "Ground Arceus" it probably flows better or w/e the reasoning was, and it keeps it consistent with the other arceus analyses, so change all mentions of arceus-ground to ground arceus before you send this to gp. "eon twins" is a description i tried to use in one of my analyses but that doesnt seem to fly with gp, change all mentions of that to "latias and latios". theres a bunch of other grammar stuff that can be changed to lessen the gp workload - try to look over the analysis and correct stuff as you see it (i found it much easier to notice spelling/grammar mistakes after being away from an analysis for a while)

im not 100% sure if saying groundceus has "opportunity cost" is it is one of the best formes besides normal and ghost. i'd probably remove this line.

The writing for the SD set looks fine, but in usage tips i feel there should be a warning to watch out for lava plume groudon in usage tips - sd groundceus is nearly completely useless when burned and the only ways i see offense helping a burned groundceus is healing wish from skymin or latias.

Team Options is very bare and makes it seem like groundceus needs no help at all to get stuff done... which is wrong. Groundceus can't break grassceus or waterceus on its own and needs teammates to support it, physically defensive kyogre can also 1v1 groundceus which makes mons like latias or primal groudon (if you wanna do double ground types) very effective partners. Add in the mons that beat groundceus's checks as teammates in this section as describe how. I see you had the right idea in the skeleton but didnt put half the stuff in the analysis, make sure you didn't skip anything.
You also have two "Team Options" sections and it seems like it belonged to the old defog set... make sure thats removed.

There's no Shadow Force option in OO like shrang asked for...add that. Add ice beam to here as well as extreme speed (can beat darkrai and shaymin-s with prior damage)

Checks and Counters is bare af and doesn't accurately describe what beats Groundceus. I'd probably list the c&c like this:

Skarmory + Bronzong
Grass types (Grassceus + Shaymin-S)
Giratina-O + A
Water types (Waterceus + phys def Kyogre)
Lugia (if multiscale is up)
Latias/Latios
Revenge Killers (Mewtwo, Darkrai, Deoxys, etc)
(might have missed something but you get the general idea)

Once i see this is all added i'll approve.
remove mentions of eon twins+arceus ground: done
removed
added
added
removed
added, kept dclaw mention as well
done as well, good like this?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
Overview
########

[OVERVIEW]
Ground
Arceus-Ground gained new has a number of niches during the generation shift, (I have to take out references to changes over time :\) allowing it to filling a useful role on many balanced teams. With excellent bulk and typical Arceus base 120 stats, Ground Arceus-Ground (etc; just find-and-replace Arceus-Ground to Ground Arceus) is able to excellently support his its team, (RC) or threaten to sweep with a Swords Dance set. The most important defensive role for Arceus-Ground is to check perhaps the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame, Primal Groudon, with its super effective Ground-type STAB move. It additionally threatens many entry hazard users such as Klefki, Dialga, Primal Groudon, Tyranitar, (AC) and Diancie among others. It is however quite lacklustre defensively. (this is sandwiched between two sentences that talk about good things about Ground Arceus, so it's out of place), with the The deadly Swords Dance set having has an easy time setting up against them the afro- (dude lol) mentioned Pokemon. It has the ability to sweep through a significant amount number of Pokemon thanks to the coverage EdgeQuake provides.

Arceus-Ground, particularly special sets, do have some flaws; (ASC) it has however. He finds itself having a hard time against Pokemon immune to Judgment, such as Ho-Oh, (AC) Latios, and Latios and Latias. (AP) Furthermore, it; He lacks the power to break through specially bulky Pokemon, and it has redundant synergy with Primal Groudon. Luckily, the better and more common Swords Dance set can smash some of the checks to the special set, giving Arceus-Ground a fair bit of unpredictability and very few safe switch-ins. Pokemon like such as Choice Scarf Kyogre and Grass Arceus-Grass are less common this generation, thus allowing Arceus-Ground to be even deadlier.

Swords Dance
########

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Recover
item: Earth Plate
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance is the move that makes this set threatening, enabling Arceus-Ground to sweep with a +2 boost in Attack under its belt. Earthquake gets the STAB bonus and is what Arceus-Ground uses to hit most targets, Primal Groudon in particular. Stone Edge hits most Pokemon that Earthquake doesn't, such as like Flying-types and Levitate users Pokemon with the ability levitate (@gp, if "Levitators" or the like is acceptable, pls change) (gotcha). Recover way might seem somewhat surprising on a set that is meant to sweep. It is used to give Arceus-Ground more longevity, (AC) which is very useful when switching in on Pokemon like such as Mega Diancie and, (AC) most importantly, Primal Groudon. This way, Ground Arceus you can threaten out the opposing Pokemon when there isn't an opportunity to sweep, (RC) and can make sure you can do so later. (I'm not sure what this means exactly; can you elaborate?)

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment is used because attack is chosen because after all the point of this set is to sweep. It Ground Arceus needs the extra power to immediately threaten Primal Groudon, (AC) and it's also useful for doing more damage to physically bulky Pokemon such as like Lugia and defensive Yveltal. A Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs let Ground Arceus outspeed Latios and Latias, (RC) and non-Mega Gengar and speed-tie Speed tie with other max speed fully invested Arceus.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus is a very threatening mid-, to and late-game sweeper. Try to get it in on Pokemon it threatens out as much often as possible on pokemon in threatens out so you can create ample opportunity for it to set up. Examples include Steel-types such as These Pokemon are for example Steel-types like Klefki and other Pokemon weak to Ground Arceus's coverage moves. In practice, (AC) there are very few reliable checks to Ground Arceus, so it's mostly a matter of creating opportunity. Recover combined with Arceus's natural bulk lets it play very offensively, but make sure to keep it at good health if you want to reliably check Primal Groudon, as even an uninvested Precipice Blades can hurt. Ground Arceus must be especially wary of switching in on Primal Groudon carrying Lava Plume, (AC) as a burnt Ground Arceus is effectively useless.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Team Options
========

Ground Arceus doesn't need a lot of team support,; (ASC) it's very deadly on its own. In fact, (AC) it supports the team by checking bothersome Steel-types and Primal Groudon when you need it to. Something to absorb burns is much appreciated, (AC) as Ground Arceus becomes almost useless when burnt. Ground Arceus is the most threatening when your team has Pokemon that appreciate an offensive check to Primal Groudon, such as Fairy-, (RC) and Steel-types, as well as Pokemon that suffer from opposing Steel-types. This way you can get in Arceus as much often as possible. While Ground Arceus does provide good offensive pressure, it needs a way to get around the its checks and counters it has. These are stated in the Checks & Counters section. Generally speaking, (AC) you will need an answer to bulky Kyogre variants, support Arceus variants such as like like Water Arceus and Grass Arceus, (AC) and fast revenge killers like such as Darkrai and Shaymin-Sky. Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Klefki, (AC) and priority users respectively (too confusing to match them up this way. if you want to be clear, you'll have to split it up into sentences like "Latios and Latias can cover ___. Primal Groudon takes care of __ for Ground Arceus. __ give Ground Arceus trouble, so Ho-Oh is a good teammate to deal with them", etc. otherwise you'll have to just hope the reader knows) often do an adequate job of handling the aforementioned Pokemon. Healing Wish users such as Latias and Shaymin-Sky can heal up a weakened Ground Arceus, (AC) which it appreciates, (AC) as finding the time to use Recover can be a challenge.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########
=========

Both Shadow Force and Refresh have a tiny niche on the Swords Dance set, Shadow Force arguably the bigger one. Shadow Force circumvents Giratina-O and the uncommon Giratina checking Ground Arceus reliably and can damage Lugia more than Stone Edge, (RC) while still hitting Pokemon such as Latios and Latias. Because Since you give up important coverage in Stone Edge, which allows you Ground Arceus to hit Mega Salamence, (AC) among other things, you can also run it along side Shadow Force alongside Stone Edge. Refresh can shrug off status, such as the dreaded burn, (RC) or Toxic used by from Klefki, (AC) for example, so that Ground Arceus has more longevity long-term survivability in that regard. Extreme Speed can finish off Pokemon that would otherwise revenge kill Ground Arceus such as Shaymin-Sky, Darkrai, (AC) and Mewtwo, though it is rather weak. For each of these options, (AC) goes that it is hard to justify the loss of recovery. (does this refer to all the moves mentioned before that sentence? so is Dragon Claw worth the loss of recovery? idk, the placement and wording of this seems weird) Dragon Claw still hits Mega Salamence as well as Giratina-O for more damage than Stone Edge but is weaker versus almost anything else, most notably Lugia. Ground Arceus can also run a special set with Judgment, Recover, Defog or Calm Mind, (AC) and Will-O-Wisp or Ice Beam. The Defog set can reliably Defog on many entry hazards users and is a good check to Primal Groudon. The Calm Mind set aims to set up Calm Minds on and power through the opposing team with its coverage which it can do because of the boosts in Special Attack and the added Special Defensive bulk. Both sets, however, This set, as well as the Defog set, however fail to threaten Ho-Oh, (AC) whatsoever thus engendering a huge gap in the defensive backbone of the team Ground Arceus is used on. Balanced teams often have a hard time dealing with Ho-Oh already. Thunder on the Calm Mind can indeed beat Ho-Oh while also beating Kyogre, (AC) but you then lose the ability to hit Salamence as well as Latios and Latias, (AC) among others. Both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are great options when using Defog, (AC) letting Ground Arceus as you can cripple common switch-ins effectively. Being able to hit those Pokemon makes Arceus much less passive and more effective in practice.

Checks & and Counters
########
============

**Skarmory and Bronzong**: Both of these Pokemon are immune to Arceus-Ground's STAB move, (AC) forcing Arceus-Ground it to rely on the weaker Stone Edge to hit them. However, (AC) because Bronzong resists Rock-type moves and Skarmory has stellar physical bulk and Ground Arceus's Stone Edge doesn't rank among the strongest of moves, they take little damage from it. Bronzong must be wary of occasional Shadow Force, but it is however uncommon.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as like Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus can sufficiently deal with Ground Arceus. Defensive Kyogre variants have the bulk to eat up a +2 Earthquake and OHKO with Scald. Offensive variants can check Arceus as long as it remains unboosted. Water Arceus can hit Ground Arceus with Judgment or Will-O-Wisp, however; however, Ground Arceus can beat the most common variant with Toxic and Ice Beam. (Ground Arceus can beat it by using Toxic and Ice Beam, or the most common variant has Toxic and Ice Beam and is beaten by Ground Arceus?)

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as like Shaymin-Sky and Grass Arceus, much like the the Water-types mentioned above have strong STAB moves to OHKO Arceus with. Shaymin-Sky outspeeds Ground Arceus, (AC) whereas Grass Arceus can take Stone Edges well. Both can switch in on Earthquake as well.

**Giratina and Giratina-O**: Giratina's Origin form-O is immune to Earthquake and has good natural bulk, (AC) so it can phaze Ground Arceus with Dragon Tail. Giratina, while uncommon, can do the same thanks to its stellar bulk and burn it as well. It can also use Rest to get rid of the damage, whereas Giratina-O cannot do so.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast Pokemon like such as Mewtwo, Deoxys-Attack, (AC) and Darkrai can effectively check Ground Arceus thanks to their superior Speed stat. Mewtwo can fire off a super effective Ice Beam, Deoxys-Attack has an even stronger Psycho Boost, (AC) and Darkrai can put it to sleep and proceed to use Nasty Plot or Dark Pulse. Extreme Speed can kill pick these Pokemon off before they can do so in return, (AC) but Mewtwo and Darkrai need to have already incurred a bit of chip damage already inflicted onto them.

**Burn**: Arceus-Ground despises burn because it effectively renders it useless. A burnt Arceus-Ground will fail to sweep anything, and it cannot effectively check the Pokemon it could before because of the residual damage.

Last edited:
It is used to give Arceus-Ground more longevity, (AC) which is very useful when switching in on Pokemon like such as Mega Diancie and, (AC) most importantly, Primal Groudon. This way, Ground Arceus you can threaten out the opposing Pokemon when there isn't an opportunity to sweep, (RC) and can make sure you can do so later. (I'm not sure what this means exactly; can you elaborate?)
Changed to: This way, Ground Arceus can threaten out the opposing Pokemon when there isn't an opportunity to sweep, use Recover, and can make sure it can do so later.

Generally speaking, (AC) you will need an answer to bulky Kyogre variants, support Arceus variants such as like like Water Arceus and Grass Arceus, (AC) and fast revenge killers like such as Darkrai and Shaymin-Sky. Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, Klefki, (AC) and priority users respectively (too confusing to match them up this way. if you want to be clear, you'll have to split it up into sentences like "Latios and Latias can cover ___. Primal Groudon takes care of __ for Ground Arceus. __ give Ground Arceus trouble, so Ho-Oh is a good teammate to deal with them", etc. otherwise you'll have to just hope the reader knows) often do an adequate job of handling the aforementioned Pokemon.
Changed to: Generally speaking, you will need an answer to bulky Kyogre variants, support Arceus variants such as Water Arceus and Grass Arceus, and fast revenge killers such as Darkrai and Shaymin-S. Latios, Latias and Primal Groudon can take care of Primal Kyogre. Primal Groudon that carry a Fire-type move can dispose of Grass Arceus whereas Latios and Latias (Sweep, clutch qc help pls, do I mention Latias’ CM set too? It’s rather uncommon, but not mentioning would make it seem like that set is not a usable option on Latias) that carry Calm Mind beat both Grass Arceus and Water Arceus. Priority users like Swords Dance Arceus Normal (or ExtremeKiller Arceus, gp?) beat problematic revenge killers.

Both Shadow Force and Refresh have a tiny niche on the Swords Dance set, Shadow Force arguably the bigger one. Shadow Force circumvents Giratina-O and the uncommon Giratina checking Ground Arceus reliably and can damage Lugia more than Stone Edge, (RC) while still hitting Pokemon such as Latios and Latias. Because Since you give up important coverage in Stone Edge, which allows you Ground Arceus to hit Mega Salamence, (AC) among other things, you can also run it along side Shadow Force alongside Stone Edge. Refresh can shrug off status, such as the dreaded burn, (RC) or Toxic used by from Klefki, (AC) for example, so that Ground Arceus has more longevity long-term survivability in that regard. Extreme Speed can finish off Pokemon that would otherwise revenge kill Ground Arceus such as Shaymin-Sky, Darkrai, (AC) and Mewtwo, though it is rather weak. For each of these options, (AC) goes that it is hard to justify the loss of recovery. (does this refer to all the moves mentioned before that sentence? so is Dragon Claw worth the loss of recovery? idk, the placement and wording of this seems weird) Dragon Claw still hits Mega Salamence as well as Giratina-O for more damage than Stone Edge but is weaker versus almost anything else, most notably Lugia.
Does that not imply that if you want to use the moves mentioned before that sentence, it is usually not worth using them becuase of the lack of recovery? (or did you mean I have to clarify that you give up Recovery and not something else?)

Water Arceus can hit Ground Arceus with Judgment or Will-O-Wisp, however; however, Ground Arceus can beat the most common variant with Toxic and Ice Beam. (Ground Arceus can beat it by using Tonxic and Ice Beam, or the most common variant has Toxic and Ice Beam and is beaten by Ground Arceus?)
Changed to: Water Arceus can hit Ground Arceus with Judgment or Will-O-Wisp; however, Ground Arceus can beat the most common Arceus Water variant which carries Toxic and Ice Beam.

Opinions on these changes? Or should GP2 look at them? Oh and why is this: "Ground Arceus, particularly special sets, do have some flaws" not singular? Arceus has flaws altogether, the special sets just have more. I have no idea how the afro things happened btw lol

Last edited:
nah you don't need to specifically mention the CM set, just make dure you mention latios / latias
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 298-352 (67.2 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Arceus-Water: 142-168 (32 - 37.9%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Grass: 184-217 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Water: 368-434 (83 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Even modest latios can't win 1v1 barring grass knot, toxic+ice beam easily outstalls latis without CM. Are you sure I shouldn't mention CM, because if I don't I'm just straight up lying because it'll look like every set beats them (defog, healing wish 3atks, etc). I take it you meant no mention of CM at all.

all analyses done before august hype

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]
Ground Arceus has a number of niches, allowing it to fill a useful role on many balanced teams. With excellent bulk and typical Arceus base 120 stats across the board, Ground Arceus is able to excellently support its team or threaten to sweep with a Swords Dance set. The most important defensive role for Ground Arceus is to check perhaps the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame, Primal Groudon, with its super effective Ground-type STAB moves. It additionally also threatens many entry hazard users such as Klefki, Dialga, Primal Groudon, Tyranitar, and Diancie, with the deadly Swords Dance set having an easy time setting up against them. It has the ability to sweep through a significant number of Pokemon thanks to the coverage that EdgeQuake provides.

Ground Arceus, particularly special sets (A special set isn't even a main set though...), do have some flaws; it has a hard time against Pokemon immune to Judgment, such as Ho-Oh, Latios, and Latias. Furthermore, it lacks the power to break through specially bulky Pokemon, and it has redundant synergy (offensive or defensive? If it's both, just use type synergy) with Primal Groudon. Luckily, the better and more common Swords Dance set can smash some of the checks to the special set, giving Ground Arceus a fair bit of unpredictability and very few safe switch-ins (But SD is its only main set, so won't opponents prepare for it?). Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Kyogre and Grass Arceus are less uncommon as well, allowing Ground Arceus to be even deadlier.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Recover
item: Earth Plate
ability: Multitype
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Swords Dance is the move that makes this set threatening, enabling enables Ground Arceus to sweep with by giving it a +2 Attack boost in Attack under its belt. Earthquake gets the STAB bonus and is what Ground Arceus uses to hit most targets, particularly Primal Groudon in particular. Stone Edge hits most Pokemon that Earthquake doesn't, such as Flying-types and Levitate users. Recover might seem somewhat surprising on a set that is meant to sweep. It is used to give Ground Arceus more longevity, which is very useful when switching in on Pokemon such as Mega Diancie and, most importantly, Primal Groudon. This way, Ground Arceus can threaten out the opposing Pokemon when there isn't an opportunity to sweep, use Recover, and can then make sure that it can do so later.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment is used because the point of this set is to sweep. Ground Arceus needs the extra power to immediately threaten Primal Groudon, and it's also useful for doing deling more damage to physically bulky Pokemon such as Lugia and (physically?) defensive Yveltal. A Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs let Ground Arceus outspeed Latios, (AC) and Latias, (AC) and non-Mega Gengar, as well as and Speed tie with other fully invested Arceus formes.

Usage Tips
========

Ground Arceus is a very threatening mid- and late-game sweeper. Try to get it in on Pokemon it threatens out as often as possible so that you can create ample opportunity for it to set up. Examples include Steel-types such as Klefki and other Pokemon weak to Ground Arceus's coverage moves Stone Edge. In practice, (AC) there are very few reliable checks to Ground Arceus, so it's mostly a matter of creating opportunity. Recover combined with Arceus's natural bulk lets allows it to play very offensively, but make sure to keep it at good healthy if you want to reliably check Primal Groudon, as even an uninvested Precipice Blades can hurt. Ground Arceus must be especially wary of switching in on Primal Groudon carrying Lava Plume, as a burnt burned (use the American spelling) Ground Arceus is effectively useless.

Team Options
========

Ground Arceus doesn't need a lot of team support; it's very deadly on its own. In fact, it supports the team by checking bothersome Steel-types and Primal Groudon when you need it to. Something to A Pokemon that can absorb burns is much appreciated, as Ground Arceus becomes almost useless when burnt burned. Ground Arceus is the most threatening when your team has Pokemon that appreciate an offensive check to Primal Groudon, such as Fairy-(space)and Steel-types, as well as Pokemon that suffer from opposing Steel-types. This way you can get in Ground Arceus in as often as possible. While Ground Arceus does provide good offensive pressure, it needs a way to get around its checks and counters. Generally speaking, you will need an answer to bulky Primal Kyogre variants, support Arceus variants such as Water Arceus and Grass Arceus, and fast revenge killers such as Darkrai and Shaymin-S. Latios, Latias, (AC) and Primal Groudon can take care of Primal Kyogre. Primal Groudon that carry a Fire-type move can dispose of Grass Arceus, (AC) whereas Latios and Latias (Sweep, clutch qc help pls, do I mention Latias’ CM set too? It’s rather uncommon, but not mentioning would make it seem like that set is not a usable option on Latias) that carry Calm Mind beat both Grass Arceus and Water Arceus. Priority users like such as Swords Dance Arceus Normal (or ExtremeKiller Arceus, gp?) (yeah use Extreme Killer Arceus) can beat problematic revenge killers. Healing Wish users such as Latias and Shaymin-S can heal a weakened Ground Arceus, which it appreciates, as finding the time to use Recover can be a challenge.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

=========
Both Shadow Force and Refresh have a tiny niche on the Swords Dance set, with Shadow Force arguably having a the bigger one. Shadow Force circumvents Giratina-O and the uncommon Giratina checking Ground Arceus reliably and can damage Lugia more than Stone Edge while still hitting Pokemon such as Latios and Latias. Because you give up important coverage in Stone Edge, which allows Ground Arceus to hit Mega Salamence, among other things, you can also run Shadow Force alongside Stone Edge. Refresh can shrug off status ailments, such as the dreaded burn or Toxic from Klefki, for example, so that Ground Arceus has more longevity. Extreme Speed can finish off Pokemon that would otherwise revenge kill Ground Arceus, (AC) such as Shaymin-S, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, though it is rather weak. For each of these options, it is hard to justify the loss of recovery. Dragon Claw still hits Mega Salamence as well as Giratina-O for more damage than Stone Edge, (AC) but it is weaker versus almost anything else, most notably Lugia. Ground Arceus can also run a special set with Judgment, Recover, Defog or Calm Mind, and Will-O-Wisp or Ice Beam. The Defog set can reliably Defog on against many entry hazard users and is a good check to Primal Groudon. The Calm Mind set aims to set up on and power through the opposing team with its coverage. Both sets, however, fail to threaten Ho-Oh, thus engendering leaving a huge gap in the defensive backbone of the team that Ground Arceus is used on. Balanced Additionally, balanced teams often have a hard time dealing with Ho-Oh already. Thunder on the Calm Mind set can indeed beat Ho-Oh while also beating Primal Kyogre, but you then lose the ability to hit Mega Salamence, (AC) as well as Latios, (AC) and Latias, among others. Both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are great options when using Defog, letting Ground Arceus cripple common switch-ins effectively. Being able to hit those Pokemon makes Ground Arceus much less passive and more effective in practice.

Checks and Counters

============
**Skarmory and Bronzong**: Both of these Pokemon are immune to Ground Arceus'(no curly apostrophes) STAB moves, forcing it to rely on the weaker Stone Edge to hit them. However, because Bronzong resists Rock-type moves, (AC) and Skarmory has stellar physical bulk, (AC) and Ground Arceus's Stone Edge doesn't rank among the strongest of moves, they take little damage from it. Bronzong must be wary of Shadow Force, but it the move is uncommon.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus can sufficiently deal with Ground Arceus. Defensive Kyogre variants have the bulk to eat up a +2 Earthquake and OHKO with Scald. Offensive variants can check Arceus as long as it remains unboosted. Water Arceus can hit Ground Arceus with Judgment or Will-O-Wisp; however, Ground Arceus can beat the most common Water Arceus Water variant, (AC) which carries Toxic and Ice Beam.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Shaymin-S and Grass Arceus have strong STAB moves to OHKO Arceus with. Shaymin-S outspeeds Ground Arceus, (AC) whereas Grass Arceus can take Stone Edges well. Both can switch in on Earthquake as well.

**Giratina and Giratina-O**: Giratina(remove spacE)-O is immune to Earthquake and has good natural bulk, so it can phaze Ground Arceus with Dragon Tail. Giratina, while uncommon, can do the same thanks to its stellar bulk, (AC) and it can burn it Ground Arceus as well. It can also use Rest to get rid of the damage, whereas Giratina-O cannot do so.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast Pokemon such as Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai can effectively check Ground Arceus thanks to their superior Speed stats. Mewtwo can fire off launch a super effective Ice Beam, Deoxys-A has an even stronger Psycho Boost, and Darkrai can put it to sleep and proceed to use Nasty Plot or Dark Pulse. Extreme Speed can pick these Pokemon off before they can do so in return, but Mewtwo and Darkrai need to have already incurred a bit of chip damage.

**Burns**: Ground Arceus despises burns because it they effectively renders it useless. A burnt burned Ground Arceus will fail to sweep anything, and it cannot effectively check the Pokemon it could before because of the residual damage.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)