LC Porygon (Revamp)

[OVERVIEW]
Porygon's great bulk, lack of weaknesses, and access to reliable recovery make it a catch-all check to a large variety of threats in the metagame, including Omanyte, Chinchou, Abra, Fletchling, and Tirtouga. Porygon's high Special Attack and wide coverage further this, and even allow Porygon to handle its own checks, namely Fighting-types. The limited support Porygon requires also makes it relatively easy to fit on teams. Porygon also has two useful abilities in Trace and Download. Trace extends the list of threats Porygon can switch into dramatically, whereas Download makes Porygon exceptionally difficult to switch into. Despite this, Porygon can be overwhelmed by too much offensive pressure, an issue that is compounded by its low Speed. Porygon is also easily forced out by Fighting-types in fear of Knock Off or their STAB attacks. Porygon's best STAB move, Tri Attack, is also relatively weak without a Download boost.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Recover
move 2: Ice Beam / Tri Attack
move 3: Psychic / Tri Attack
move 4: Thunder Wave
ability: Trace / Download
item: Eviolite
evs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
nature: Calm

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Recover allows Porygon to keep itself healthy and consistently check threats throughout the match. Ice Beam grants important coverage for Archen and Fletchling, OHKOing them after Stealth Rock. It also 2HKOes Drilbur and does a lot to Pumpkaboo-XL, and possesses great neutral coverage overall. Psychic is the primary option in the third slot, as it allows Porygon to keep up with opposing Fighting-types, notably Timburr, which has a good chance at being 2HKOed after Stealth Rock. Tri Attack is an option over either Psychic or Ice Beam that possesses great neutral coverage, but its low Base Power, even with STAB, makes it underwhelming without Download. Thunder Wave is to help Porygon keep up with offense, notably stopping Shell Smash users, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Gastly, and Abra.

Set Details
========
The EVs and nature maximize overall bulk so Porygon can take physical and special attacks equally well. Eviolite is chosen to augment this, given that Porygon has reliable recovery in Recover, and the fact that the spread gives Porygon Eviolite numbers. A spread with maximum Speed is a useful alternative, allowing Porygon to handle VoltTurn teams and Bellsprout even better at the cost of some bulk. Trace copies the ability of Porygon's opponent, which can be extremely useful in certain situations, including copying Larvesta's Flame Body and then burning an incoming Fighting-type, switching in on a Chinchou and blocking its Volt Switch, or switching in on a Regenerator or Natural Cure user and taking advantage of it. Download is an option that allows Porygon to wear down the opponent's team easier, and is just great in general for hitting switch-ins.

Usage Tips
========
The goal of this set is simply to check threats. To achieve this, Porygon needs to be kept healthy with Recover, as otherwise it will be worn down by entry hazards and attacks. Against offense, Porygon should be used conservatively, and typically should avoid handling more than one threat in any given match. Porygon functions best against defensive teams, especially with Download, and can be used much less sparingly, given the greater number of opportunities to switch in. Status should be avoided, as it will make Porygon easy to beat. Although Psychic deals significant damage to Fighting-types, Porygon should not stay in against them unless it can KO, as it loathes taking a Knock Off.

Team Options
========
Porygon appreciates clerics and Fighting-type checks for partners. Spritzee is a prime example, as itacts as a Fighting-type check, Knock Off switch-in, and cleric for Porygon, and the two cover a wide range of threats through sheer bulk alone. Larvesta, Croagunk, and Foongus also check Fighting-types; Larvesta and Croagunk can also check Pawniard well. Snubbull and Chinchou can also act as clerics for Porygon. Timburr and other Fighting-types beat Steel-types for Porygon, and can provide Knock Off support while being able to switch into the move. In turn, Porygon can deal with Abra and Fletchling, and relieve some of the pressure of handling Shell Smash users and Carvanha.

[SET]
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Tri Attack
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Recover
ability: Download
evs: 156 HP / 40 Def / 240 SpA / 40 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Tri Attack hits very hard, especially when backed by STAB and a Download boost. Psychic hits Fighting-types, most notably Mienfoo, which is OHKOed by Psychic after a Download boost. Timburr and Pancham are also 2HKOed by the move. Ice Beam hits Pumpkaboo and Archen harder than any other move on the set while also allowing Porygon to handle Fletchling and Drilbur in a pinch. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Ice Beam to hit Steel-types, namely Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite. Hidden Power Fire is another option that KOes Ferroseed with a Download boost after it switches in on Tri Attack, and still hits other Steel-types. Recover is used to keep Porygon healthy throughout a match.

Set Details
========
The given EVs maximize Porygon's Special Attack while still giving it respectable bulk. A point is invested into Speed to outspeed standard Timburr, allowing Porygon to reliably 2HKO it. Eviolite further improves Porygon's bulk, and synergizes well with Recover. Berry Juice is an option over Eviolite on some teams, freeing up space to run four attacking moves, and potentially more Speed EVs. Download is the best ability for this set, as the extra power is very significant and gaining the boost is not difficult, given the physical bias of the metagame.

Usage Tips
========
Porygon should be kept away from Knock Off users if at all possible, and should be kept healthy with Recover. Fighting-types are less of a problem for this set, as Porygon at worst 2HKOes every relevant Fighting-typeand has enough bulk to survive an unboosted Fighting-type attack. Porygon prefers to be brought in on Pokemon that give it a Special Attack boost, such as physical walls and tanks. Keep in mind that Pokemon with equal Defense and Special Defense stats will give Porygon a Special Attack boost.

Team Options
========
Spritzee and Snubbull are great partners that cover Porygon's Fighting-type weakness. They also provide cleric support and can switch in on Knock Off for Porygon, and Porygon can cover the other two's general weakness to special attackers. Timburr and other Fighting-types provide Knock Off support, can switch in on Knock Off, and break through Steel-types and special walls for Porygon while Porygon can handle Fairy-types and Psychic-types that threaten them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
An Agility set with Download can turn Porygon into a fierce sweeper, and can be run with either Eviolite, Berry Juice, and Life Orb, but the set is heavily reliant on Porygon getting a Special Attack boost. A Choice Scarf set can be run to take advantage of Download and Trick as well. Thunderbolt is an option to hit certain Water-types harder, namely Omanyte and Tirtouga. Shadow Ball is an alternative for Ghost-types, but the two relevant Ghost-types, Gastly and Pumpkaboo-XL, are hit hard enough by Porygon's other moves. Toxic is an interesting option to hit defensive Pokemon, and works well with Recover to Toxic stall opponents. Toxic can also work well in tandem with Conversion to surprise Fighting-types. Analytic could be chosen as an ability, given Porygon's naturally low Speed, but the fact that it is incompatible with Tri Attack and Recover makes this option rather lackluster. A set with minimum Speed and Download is an option for Trick Room teams. Gravity can also work well with Blizzard and Thunder, granting Porygon great neutral coverage and power, albeit for a limited time. Life Orb can be used with Download to maximize power, but Porygon will severely miss the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferroseed and Pawniard wall Porygon lacking Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire. Ferroseed can lay entry hazards and wear down Porygon through Leech Seed, and Pawniard can Knock Off Porygon's Eviolite and set up, but doesn't like Thunder Wave.

**Fighting-types**: Timburr, Pancham, Mienfoo, and Scraggy hit Porygon hard with their STAB Fighting-type attacks and can cripple it with Knock Off, but a Download-boosted Psychic hits each one of them hard, even coming from the defensive set, and all bar Timburr dislike Thunder Wave.

**Status**: Burn and poison eat away at Porygon's health, hampering its ability to take hits and forcing it to Recover often. Notable burn inducers include Ponyta, Larvesta, Pumpkaboo, and Chinchou. Poison is far less common, but can come from defensive Ponyta, Lickitung, and Toxic Spikes.

Last edited:
you should add agility porygon, its not very common but its pretty powerful
Porygon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Trace
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
something like that is usually what they run, its a p good wallbreaker
also mention that it has a tr niche in OO

I'm not convinced Agility Porygon is worth a set. I'll put it in OO for now, but if you give me solid replays or if a QC member can vouch for it, I'd be happy to.

This is just a WIP but some things to still consider:

Download should be a slash on the defensive set as it is just a great ability.
Heal bell support from team mates. Porygon probably hates toxic more than anything else in LC.
Speaking of toxic it should be in OO for porygon on more stally teams.
Band/Specs OO mention.

I'll also agree on a Agility set but something like this:

Porygon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Download
Level: 5
EVs: 160 HP / 52 Def / 236 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Recycle / Coverage attack
- Agility
- Coverage attack

Defensive: In 'Moves' I wouldn't mentioned the specific Timburr spread.

Bulky Attacker: Download also increases SpA if the target has equal defenses which is p cool.

Other Options:
Add Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball for hitting specific threats and obviously you'll need to add descriptions for all of these.
Be sure to mention move illegalities with Analytic.

I don't really agree with Agility having its own set either. Nice work QC 1/3

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Sorry I took so long; I've been busier recently.

Defensive:
I don't think Tri Attack deserves a full slash on the defensive set, because it provides no coverage, isn't actually that powerful even after STAB without the investments that the attacker set has, and Porygon is able to beat the things it usually can without it (non-RestTalk Chinchou loses to Psychic Porygon, and RestTalk Chinchou stalls out Tri Attack anyway). I feel as if using Ice Beam and Psychic as the two attacking moves provides much more utility because Ice Beam is almost entirely necessary for Porygon to check some very important threats, such as Archen and SD Fletchling, and Psychic hits the most important switch-ins to Porygon in Fighting-types for good damage whereas Tri Attack is just sort of there. I wouldn't recommend removing it entirely because it's nice with Download but I certainly do not believe it's irreplaceable like Thunder Wave or Recover are.
I think a better move order would be:
Recover
Ice Beam / Tri Attack
Psychic / Tri Attack
Thunder Wave
Under Team Options, I think it's worth mentioning just how easily Porygon is fit onto a team without any external support at all, simply due to the sheer number of threats it is able to effectively check on its own.

Bulky Attacker:
28 SpA after Download is more than enough to take advantage of a powerful STAB move, so Tri Attack should definitely have its own slot. However, I don't think Ice Beam should be a mandatory move; the only significant KOs it gets that other moves do not are against Archen and Pumpkaboo, with the latter losing to HP Fire after Stealth Rock, anyway. Even though they're both important, I think Psychic is even more important, because Fighting-types are the number one switch-in to Porygon, and being able to cleanly OHKO fastfoo after Download with Psychic is an enormous boon. As such, I think Ice Beam and Psychic should be switched.
I think an EV spread of 156 HP / 40 Def / 240 SpA / 40 Spe is better for this set. It allows Porygon to outspeed Timburr and speed tie with Pancham for Psychic, and fits the drop in IVs if Hidden Power is run.
HP Fighting is an overall very good move on attacker Porygon, but I feel as if your current description gives the opposite impression. Just say that Hidden Power Fighting provides coverage against Steel-types, because it also lets Porygon take on Recycle Magnemite without having to resort to high rolls or Tri Attack freezes/burns.
I think Hidden Power Fire is worth mentioning in the moves section, although it probably doesn't deserve a slash. Ferroseed is a very common switch-in to Porygon, and HP Fire Porygon is great in weakening Ferroseed beyond repair, outright OHKOing after Ferroseed has switched into Tri Attack; this is pretty great when considering how Ferroseed walls Spritzee, in particular the CM variant, one of the best partners for offensive Porygon, and Porygon is still able to beat non-LO Pawniard after Stealth Rock with Hidden Power Fire, although it will leave Porygon severely weakened. It still hits other Steel-types like Magnemite.

Other Options:
You could probably just replace the Choice Band mention with physical Porygon in general, citing its lower Attack and lack of coverage moves as reasons not to use it.
Gravity + Blizzard/Thunder could be worth mentioning.
In regards to Analytic, missing out on Recover is probably more detrimental than losing Tri Attack, so add that as well.

Checks and Counters:
For Steel-types, add Hidden Power Fire as well where you mention Hidden Power Fighting.

I don't agree with an Agility set, either - requiring much less support than other fast sweepers is pretty nice, but I feel as if it would struggle to actually sweep in most situations except for those where just about any other set-up sweeper would work as well given its reliance on Download, inability to boost its SpA enough to break through bulky walls without LO (which would offset its main advantage over other sweepers in its bulk), and the low base power of Tri Attack.

Good work
2/3

Last edited:
Overview: You say that "Lack of any resistances limits its effectiveness as a tank/wall" however it has an immunity to Ghost-type attacks so you should reword that to mention that too.

Defensive; moves: Mention that Porygon can also use Thunder Wave to support its teammates by spreading paralysis.

Defensive; set details: This isn't really important but it's always nice to mention that the nature gives even number in its defenses which works well with Eviolite, you can even mention its defenses and hp after the evio boost if you want.

Defensive; usage tips: Mention that you should Thunder Wave first then proceed with Recover as you don't only outspeed the opponent but he has a 25% chance of not being able to move.

Bulky Attacker; moves: Mention Pawniard as a Steel-type that is dealt with by using HP Fighting.

Bulky Attacker; set details: Mention Berry Juice somewhere, but obviously state that something should be run over Recover if you're planning to run BJ.

Other Options: In the Toxic bullet mention that it works well with Recover. Remove the physical set which is never better than the special set and replace Choice Specs with Life Orb as LO is better and Porygon doesn't get Trick or a similar move, this is arguable though. Conversion + Toxic can seems gimmicky but it's usable to surprise Fighting-types.

That's all I have, great job qc 3/4

alright, I've finally gotten around to working on this. I'll keep updating this over the next few days, then I'll move on to the other two analyses

edit: I'm not opposed to adding a 14 speed set even at this point, but I'd like some QC input before I go ahead with it.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I know I'm not a member of QC anymore, but I feel like even though fast pory is good and all, I don't think it's different enough from the defensive set in how it functions to warrant its own set. Perhaps listing it as an alternate spread under the set details of Defensive would do?

I know I'm not a member of QC anymore, but I feel like even though fast pory is good and all, I don't think it's different enough from the defensive set in how it functions to warrant its own set. Perhaps listing it as an alternate spread under the set details of Defensive would do?
yeah I agree with this, or you can always list it in oo if it isn't already.

just an fyi, I still plan on writing up this and my other two analyses, I've simply been swamped trying to balance studying for three AP exams with large assignments in my other courses. once I have taken the exams the first week of May, I will put some more time into this as well as the other two, and hopefully have them completed shortly afterwards.

Team Options (both)
Fighting-types/Fairy-types etc can act as switch-ins to Knock Off from opposing Pawniard/Fighting-types respectively; they're already listed as teammates, but it doesn't hurt to elaborate on this as Porygon particularly despises the move.

Other Options
Choice Scarf is a useable option as it hits 14 Speed, hits pretty hard with a Download boost, and notably has access to Trick; crippling walls with a choice item is nice and handy.

Very solid work, QC 4/4

Overview
########
Porygon's great bulk, lack of weaknesses, and access to reliable recovery make it a catch-all check to a large variety of threats in the metagame, including Omanyte, Chinchou, Abra, Fletchling, and Tirtouga, etc. Porygon's high Special Attack and wide coverage furthers this, and even allows Porygon to handle its own checks, namely Fighting-types. This coupled with the limited support Porygon requires makes it relatively easy to fit on teams. Porygon also has two useful abilities in Trace and Download. Trace extends the list of threats Porygon dramatically, whereas Download makes Porygon exceptionally difficult to switch into. Despite this, Porygon is somewhat held back by its lack of resistances, which allows Porygon to be overwhelmed by too much offensive pressure, an issue that is compounded by its low Speed. Porygon is also easily forced out by Fighting-types in fear of Knock Off or their STAB attacks. Porygon's best STAB move, Tri Attack, is also relatively weak without a Download boost, generally forcing it to choose coverage over Tri Attack on sets that utilize Trace.

Defensive
########

Moves
========
Recover is the primary move, and allows Porygon to keep itself healthy and consistently check threats throughout the match. Ice Beam grants important coverage for Archen and Fletchling, OHKOing them after Stealth Rock. It also 2HKOes Drilbur and does a lot to Pumpkaboo-XL, and possesses great neutral coverage overall. Psychic is the primary option in the third slot, as it allows Porygon to keep up with opposing Fighting-types, notably Timburr, which has a good chance at being 2HKOed after Stealth Rock. Tri Attack is an option over either Psychic or Ice Beam that possesses great neutral coverage, but its low base power, even with STAB, makes it underwhelming without Download. Thunder Wave is chosen in the last slot primarily to help Porygon keep up with offense, notably stopping Shell Smash users, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Gastly, and Abra.

Set Details
========
The EVs and nature maximize overall bulk so Porygon can take hits from either side of the offensive spectrum ('spectrum' to refer to physical and special attacks is discouraged, rephrase as needed). Eviolite is chosen to augment this, given that Porygon has reliable recovery in Recover, and the fact that the spread gives Porygon Eviolite numbers. A spread with maximum Speed is a useful alternative to the given spread, allowing Porygon to handle VoltTurn teams and Bellsprout even better, at the cost of some bulk. Trace copies the ability of Porygon's opponent, which can be extremely useful in certain situations, including copying Larvesta's Flame Body and then burning an incoming Fighting-type, switching in on a Chinchou and blocking it's Volt Switch, or switching in on a Regenerator or Natural Cure user and taking advantage of it. Download is an option that allows Porygon to wear down the opponent's team easier, and is just great in general for hitting switch-ins.

Usage Tips
========
The goal of this set is simply to check threats. To achieve this, Porygon needs to be kept healthy with Recover, as otherwise it will be worn down with hazards and attacks. Against offense, Porygon should be used conservatively, and typically should avoid handling more than one threat in any given match. Porygon functions best against defensive teams, especially with Download, and can be used much less sparingly, given the greater switch-in opportunities. Status should be avoided, as any residual damage or immobilization will make Porygon easy to beat. Although Psychic deals significant damage to Fighting-types, Porygon should not stay in against them unless it can KO, as it loathes taking a Knock Off.

Team Options
========
Porygon appreciates Fighting-type checks and clerics for partners. Spritzee is a prime example, as it provides a Fighting-type check, Knock Off switch-in, and cleric for Porygon, and the two cover a wide range of threats through sheer bulk alone. Larvesta, Croagunk, and Foongus also check Fighting-types; Larvesta and Croagunk can also check Pawniard well. Snubbull and Chinchou can also act as clerics for Porygon. Timburr and other Fighting-types beat Steel-types for Porygon, and can provide Knock Off support while being able to switch into the move. In turn, Porygon can deal with Abra and Fletchling, and relieve some of the pressure of handling Shell Smash users and Carvanha.

Bulky Attacker
########

Moves
========
Tri Attack is the primary move on this set; it hits very hard, especially when backed by STAB and a download boost. This should be Porygon's primary method of attack on this set. Psychic hits Fighting-types, most notably Mienfoo, who is OHKOed by Psychic after Download. Timburr and Pancham are also 2HKOed by the move. Ice Beam hits Pumpkaboo and Archen harder than any other move on the set, while also allowing Porygon to handle Fletchling and Drilbur in a pinch. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Ice Beam to hit Steel-types, namely Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite. Hidden Power Fire is another option that KOes Ferroseed with Download after it switches in on Tri Attack, while still hitting other Steel-types. Recover is used to keep Porygon healthy throughout a match.

Set Details
========
The given EVs maximize Porygon's Special Attack, while still giving it respectable bulk. A point is invested into Speed to outspeed standard Timburr, allowing Porygon to reliably 2HKO it. Eviolite further improves Porygon's bulk, and synergizes well with Recover. Berry Juice is an option over Eviolite on some teams, freeing up space to run four attacking moves, and potentially more speed. Download is the best ability for this set, as the extra power is very significant, and gaining the boost is not difficult, given the physical bias of the metagame.

Usage Tips
========
Porygon should be kept away from Knock Off users if at all possible, and should be kept healthy with Recover. Fighting-types are less of a problem for this set, as Porygon at worst 2HKOes every relevant Fighting-type, and has enough bulk to survive an unboosted Fighting-type attack. Porygon prefers to be brought in on Pokemon that give it a Special Attack boost, such as physical walls and tanks. Keep in mind that Pokemon with equal Defense and Special Defense stats will give Porygon a Special Attack boost.

Team Options
========
Spritzee and Snubbull are great partners that cover Porygon's Fighting-type weakness. They also provide cleric support and can switch in on Knock Off for Porygon, and Porygon can cover the other's general weakness to special attackers. Timburr and other Fighting-types provide Knock Off support, can switch in on Knock Off, and break through Steel-types and special walls for Porygon, while Porygon can handle Fairy-types and Psychic-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########
An Agility set with Download can turn Porygon into a fierce sweeper, and can be run with either Eviolite, Berry Juice, and Life Orb, but the set is heavily reliant on Porygon getting a Special Attack boost. A Choice Scarf set can be run to take advantage of Download and Trick as well. Thunderbolt is an option to hit certain Water-types harder, namely Omanyte and Tirtouga. Shadow Ball is an alternative for Ghost-types, but the two relevant Ghost-types, Gastly and Pumpkaboo-XL, are hit hard enough by Porygon's other moves. Toxic is an interesting option to hit defensive Pokemon, and works well with Recover to Toxic stall opponents. Toxic can also work well in tandem with Conversion to surprise Fighting-types. Analytic could be chosen as an ability, given Porygon's naturally low Speed, but the fact that it is incompatible with Tri Attack and Recover makes this option rather lackluster. A set with minimum speed and Download is an option for Trick Room teams. Gravity can also work well with Blizzard and Thunder, granting Porygon great neutral coverage and power, albeit for a limited time. Life Orb can be used with Download to maxmize power, but Porygon will severely miss the lack of bulk.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Ferroseed and Pawniard wall Porygon lacking Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fighting(???????????). Ferroseed can lay hazards and wear down Porygon through Leech Seed, and Pawniard can Knock Off Porygon's Eviolite and set up, but doesn't like Thunder Wave.

**Fighting-types**: Timburr, Pancham, Mienfoo, and Scraggy hit Porygon hard with their STAB Fighting-type attacks and can cripple it with Knock Off, but a Download-boosted Psychic hits each one of them hard, even coming from the defensive set, and all bar Timburr dislike Thunder Wave.

**Status**: Burn and poison eat away at Porygon's health, hampering its ability to take hits and forcing it to Recover often. Notable burn users include Ponyta, Larvesta, Pumpkaboo, and Chinchou. Poison is far less common, but can come from defensive Ponyta, Lickitung, and Toxic Spikes.

1/2

sorry I didn't post about this, but implemented the above. also updated the formatting to match the new format

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kavatika

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]
Porygon's great bulk, lack of weaknesses, and access to reliable recovery make it a catch-all check to a large variety of threats in the metagame, including Omanyte, Chinchou, Abra, Fletchling, and Tirtouga. Porygon's high Special Attack and wide coverage furthers this, and even allows Porygon to handle its own checks, namely Fighting-types. This coupled with The limited support Porygon requires also makes it relatively easy to fit on teams. Porygon also has two useful abilities in Trace and Download. Trace extends the list of threats Porygon can switch into dramatically, whereas Download makes Porygon exceptionally difficult to switch into. Despite this, Porygon is somewhat held back by its lack of resistances, which allows Porygon to can be overwhelmed by too much offensive pressure, an issue that is compounded by its low Speed. Porygon is also easily forced out by Fighting-types in fear of Knock Off or their STAB attacks. Porygon's best STAB move, Tri Attack, is also relatively weak without a Download boost, generally forcing it to choose coverage over Tri Attack on sets that utilize Trace.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Recover is the primary move, and allows Porygon to keep itself healthy and consistently check threats throughout the match. Ice Beam grants important coverage for Archen and Fletchling, OHKOing them after Stealth Rock. It also 2HKOes Drilbur and does a lot to Pumpkaboo-XL, and possesses great neutral coverage overall. Psychic is the primary option in the third slot, as it allows Porygon to keep up with opposing Fighting-types, notably Timburr, which has a good chance at being 2HKOed after Stealth Rock. Tri Attack is an option over either Psychic or Ice Beam that possesses great neutral coverage, but its low Base Power, even with STAB, makes it underwhelming without Download. Thunder Wave is chosen in the last slot primarily to help Porygon keep up with offense, notably stopping Shell Smash users, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Gastly, and Abra.

Set Details
========
The EVs and nature maximize overall bulk so Porygon can take physical and special attacks equally well. Eviolite is chosen to augment this, given that Porygon has reliable recovery in Recover, and the fact that the spread gives Porygon Eviolite numbers. A spread with maximum Speed is a useful alternative to the given spread, allowing Porygon to handle VoltTurn teams and Bellsprout even better, (RC) at the cost of some bulk. Trace copies the ability of Porygon's opponent, which can be extremely useful in certain situations, including copying Larvesta's Flame Body and then burning an incoming Fighting-type, switching in on a Chinchou and blocking its Volt Switch, or switching in on a Regenerator or Natural Cure user and taking advantage of it. Download is an option that allows Porygon to wear down the opponent's team easier, and is just great in general for hitting switch-ins.

Usage Tips
========
The goal of this set is simply to check threats. To achieve this, Porygon needs to be kept healthy with Recover, as otherwise it will be worn down with by entry hazards and attacks. Against offense, Porygon should be used conservatively, and typically should avoid handling more than one threat in any given match. Porygon functions best against defensive teams, especially with Download, and can be used much less sparingly, given the greater switch-in number of opportunities to switch in. Status should be avoided, as any residual damage or immobilization it will make Porygon easy to beat. Although Psychic deals significant damage to Fighting-types, Porygon should not stay in against them unless it can KO, as it loathes taking a Knock Off.

Team Options
========
Porygon appreciates clerics and Fighting-type checks and clerics for partners. Spritzee is a prime example, as it provides acts as a Fighting-type check, Knock Off switch-in, and cleric for Porygon, and the two cover a wide range of threats through sheer bulk alone. Larvesta, Croagunk, and Foongus also check Fighting-types; Larvesta and Croagunk can also check Pawniard well. Snubbull and Chinchou can also act as clerics for Porygon. Timburr and other Fighting-types beat Steel-types for Porygon, and can provide Knock Off support while being able to switch into the move. In turn, Porygon can deal with Abra and Fletchling, and relieve some of the pressure of handling Shell Smash users and Carvanha.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Tri Attack is the primary move on this set; it hits very hard, especially when backed by STAB and a Download boost. This should be Porygon's primary method of attack on this set. personally I find this sentence just useless filler. It's the first move; of course it's the main one! Psychic hits Fighting-types, most notably Mienfoo, who which is OHKOed by Psychic after a Download boost. Timburr and Pancham are also 2HKOed by the move. Ice Beam hits Pumpkaboo and Archen harder than any other move on the set, (RC) while also allowing Porygon to handle Fletchling and Drilbur in a pinch. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over Ice Beam to hit Steel-types, namely Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite. Hidden Power Fire is another option that KOes Ferroseed with a Download boost after it switches in on Tri Attack, while still hitting and still hits to avoid the 'while/wheras' confusion and keep tense more constant other Steel-types. Recover is used to keep Porygon healthy throughout a match.

Set Details
========
The given EVs maximize Porygon's Special Attack, (RC) while still giving it respectable bulk. A point is invested into Speed to outspeed standard Timburr, allowing Porygon to reliably 2HKO it. Eviolite further improves Porygon's bulk, and synergizes well with Recover. Berry Juice is an option over Eviolite on some teams, freeing up space to run four attacking moves, and potentially more Speed EVs. Download is the best ability for this set, as the extra power is very significant, (RC) and gaining the boost is not difficult, given the physical bias of the metagame.

Usage Tips
========
Porygon should be kept away from Knock Off users if at all possible, and should be kept healthy with Recover. Fighting-types are less of a problem for this set, as Porygon at worst 2HKOes every relevant Fighting-type, (RC) and has enough bulk to survive an unboosted Fighting-type attack. Porygon prefers to be brought in on Pokemon that give it a Special Attack boost, such as physical walls and tanks. Keep in mind that Pokemon with equal Defense and Special Defense stats will give Porygon a Special Attack boost.

Team Options
========
Spritzee and Snubbull are great partners that cover Porygon's Fighting-type weakness. They also provide cleric support and can switch in on Knock Off for Porygon, and Porygon can cover the other two's general weakness to special attackers. Timburr and other Fighting-types provide Knock Off support, can switch in on Knock Off, and break through Steel-types and special walls for Porygon, (RC) while Porygon can handle Fairy-types and Psychic-types that threaten them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
An Agility set with Download can turn Porygon into a fierce sweeper, and can be run with either Eviolite, Berry Juice, and Life Orb, but the set is heavily reliant on Porygon getting a Special Attack boost. A Choice Scarf set can be run to take advantage of Download and Trick as well. Thunderbolt is an option to hit certain Water-types harder, namely Omanyte and Tirtouga. Shadow Ball is an alternative for Ghost-types, but the two relevant Ghost-types, Gastly and Pumpkaboo-XL, are hit hard enough by Porygon's other moves. Toxic is an interesting option to hit defensive Pokemon, and works well with Recover to Toxic stall opponents. Toxic can also work well in tandem with Conversion to surprise Fighting-types. Analytic could be chosen as an ability, given Porygon's naturally low Speed, but the fact that it is incompatible with Tri Attack and Recover makes this option rather lackluster. A set with minimum Speed and Download is an option for Trick Room teams. Gravity can also work well with Blizzard and Thunder, granting Porygon great neutral coverage and power, albeit for a limited time. Life Orb can be used with Download to maximize power, but Porygon will severely miss the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferroseed and Pawniard wall Porygon lacking Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire Fighting. Ferroseed can lay entry hazards and wear down Porygon through Leech Seed, and Pawniard can Knock Off Porygon's Eviolite and set up, but doesn't like Thunder Wave.

**Status**: Burn and poison eat away at Porygon's health, hampering its ability to take hits and forcing it to Recover often. Notable burn users inducers include Ponyta, Larvesta, Pumpkaboo, and Chinchou. Poison is far less common, but can come from defensive Ponyta, Lickitung, and Toxic Spikes.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)